A Cameo Appearance

august issue of RECORD COLLECTOR informs us that a selection of cds are imminent from the archives of the legendary cameo parkway label....could this been a softening of attitudes and a need for money by the previously resolute and stubborn owners of the catalogue?.

if so, then about time....the people concerned must have had a reality check.....realising no-one lives forever and you cant take your money with you, even more annoying the fact, that they have deprived us for so long, of the tunes we want to have in our collections, in the light of the original vinyl being so scarce and in some cases, downright expensive.

initially, a scan would suggest its beginning-of-era stuff, but hopefully it will culminate in the first ever legitimate release of a wealth of northern soul classics.

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

is there any info on what's lined up for release anywhere online ?

UK Ace Records and US Collectors Choice are releasing 6 CDs with Cameo/Parkway material this month:

https://acerecords.co...59&release=8533

https://acerecords.co...59&release=8526

https://acerecords.co...59&release=8532

https://acerecords.co...59&release=8537

https://acerecords.co...59&release=8536

https://acerecords.co...59&release=8534

According to their site:

"Cameo-Parkway material has been unavailable for decades, and collectors have waited impatiently for many years for the hits to make their digital debut. A label overview in 2005 and a few subsequent hits packages skimmed the surface. Out this month on Ace are 10 full albums on five CDs, along with a compilation of vocal group classics. The floodgates are now open, and it's just the tip of the iceberg."

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Was only a matter of time once Alan Klein died.

too right pete, never will understand why this man made himself such a stumbling block and target for animosity...like i said, you cant take it with you and he didnt....hopefully the recipients of this treasure trove WILL appreciate its importance to an eagerly anticipating audience.

rob.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

too right pete, never will understand why this man made himself such a stumbling block and target for animosity...like i said, you cant take it with you and he didnt....hopefully the recipients of this treasure trove WILL appreciate its importance to an eagerly anticipating audience.

rob.

is itthe same alan klein who managed the beatles? and if so how did he come to be the owner of the cameo parkway out put?

Social source share

Good. About time too. I think the last UK company that had access to Cameo-Parkway was Decca (via London) back in the late 70's, hence the Bobby Paris, Bunny Sigler, Yvonne Baker re-issues at the time.

Ian D biggrin.gif

absolutely ian, looks like common sense is going to prevail at last!.

Social source share

Good. About time too. I think the last UK company that had access to Cameo-Parkway was Decca (via London) back in the late 70's, hence the Bobby Paris, Bunny Sigler, Yvonne Baker re-issues at the time.

Ian D :lol:

Don't forget the Chubster!! Get in there. I'm so excited, I daren't walk around the cabin.............:lol:

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Were these legal? I've heard different.

There has been an on going legal dispute for years about who owned the rights to what on Cameo.

That is why Klein could not release anything either on the label.

Plus if rumours are anything to go by Klein was a bit of a gangster,and people were afraid to release anything

until after his demise.

Stu.

Social source share

Yes, same guy. Klein bought Cameo/Parkway in 1967.

that was about the time the label sank a well wasnt it

dave

sunday chillout 2nd anniversary , aug 22nd, horse and groom, east laith gate, doncaster, with dave,bri,mick wad, joe lakin, steve mank +guests brett franklin,rob wigley and john phillips

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There has been an on going legal dispute for years about who owned the rights to what on Cameo.

That is why Klein could not release anything either on the label.

Plus if rumours are anything to go by Klein was a bit of a gangster,and people were afraid to release anything

until after his demise.

Stu.

Wrong on both counts.

Allen Klein - who was a very smart 'n' savvy business lawyer, not a gangster - was still very much alive when his company ABKCO released all of those Cameo-Parkway 'Best Of' CDs (by Chubby, Dee Dee, the Tymes etc) a few years ago.

And there have been no ongoing legal disputes for years, either. There's a fairly complex legal reason why nothing could be released for decades - which I'm not going to go into here - but it's nothing to do with disgareement over who owned what.

Facts next time, please!:thumbsup:

Social source share

Wrong on both counts.

Allen Klein - who was a very smart 'n' savvy business lawyer, not a gangster - was still very much alive when his company ABKCO released all of those Cameo-Parkway 'Best Of' CDs (by Chubby, Dee Dee, the Tymes etc) a few years ago.

And there have been no ongoing legal disputes for years, either. There's a fairly complex legal reason why nothing could be released for decades - which I'm not going to go into here - but it's nothing to do with disgareement over who owned what.

Facts next time, please!:thumbsup:

Tony or indeed Ady, have you tied up a deal the the Northern stuff as well?

Dave.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Wrong on both counts.

Facts next time, please!:lol:

Sorry Tony i stand well and truly corrected.

Thats what happens when you listen to gossip.:thumbsup::lol:

Stu.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert