Northern Soul : Rare, Obscure & Forgotten

Pete S

Hope you all enjoy this one

cheers

Pete

https://podcastmachine.com/podcasts/4425/episodes/27504

Admittedly this is just a stop-gap to pacify my Northern Soul loving listeners while I am in the process of putting together a History of Jamaican Music and that’s taking up a lot of my time, but nonetheless, I think you’ll find this selection quite interesting. It’s mainly stuff that I’ve had in various folders on my pc meaning to do something with for a long time. Many are goodies unearthed by the boffins at Kent Records and now established favourites; some are from one off acetates; some are alternative versions of well known classics. Put it this way, it may not be another $30,000 worth of Northern Soul but you’re not going to hear many of these down at your local soul night. (A lot of these are old now but were unissued at the time of discovery hence me still using that description) ++++++++++ .

THE FUNK BROTHERS – SWEET THING (Instrumental Version) /

THE PLATTERS – NOT MY GIRL (Previously Unissued Version Of Johnny Hampton) /

THE MAGICIANS – JUST A LITTLE FAITH AND UNDERSTANDING (Original Vocal Version Of Double Cooking) /

UPTOWN ORCHESTRA – COME GO WITH ME (Backing Track To Gloria Jones 45) /

BARBARA MERCER – MY DEAR HEART (Previously Unissued Version Of Shawn Robinson) /

FRED SMITH ORCHESTRA – DON’T PRETEND (Instrumental Version. This Is Not The Well Known Cut That Simon Soussan Recorded Extra Strings On, It’s The Basic Backing Track From Acetate And Has Never Been Released) /

JEAN CARTER – LIKE ONE (Previously Unreleased Alternate Version) /

THE GYPSIES – IT’S A WOMAN’S WORLD (Alternate Version) /

THE WAN R&B ENSEMBLE – HAND IT OVER (Instrumental Version Of Chuck Jackson 45) /

LITTLE ANN – WHO ARE YOU TRYING TO FOOL (Unreleased Topper 45 /

SANDY’S BAND – TOUCH OF VENUS (Instrumental Version) /

THE PERSIANETTES – RUN, RUN (Magnificent Unissued Swan Recording) /

DANNY MONDAY – BABY WITHOUT YOU (Alternate Version) /

VIVIAN CARROLL – OH YEAH YEAH (With Long Intro) /

VAL SIMPSON – IT’S JUST LOVE (Publishers Demo Of John Andrews 45) /

DEAN COURTNEY – TODAY IS MY DAY (Previously Unissued Rca Recording) /

THE CAMP (VAL SIMPSON) – MARCHING (Previously Unissued Vocal Version) /

THE SAN FRANCISCAN TKO’S – MAKE UP YOUR MIND (Kent Anniversary 45) /

DEON JACKSON – SOME DAY THE SUN WILL SHINE (Unissued Carla 45) /

SHARON SCOTT – PUTTING MY HEART UNDER LOCK AND KEY (Previously Unissued Rca Recording) /

BERNARD WILLIAMS & THE ORIGINAL BLUE NOTES – NEEDLESS TO SAY (Unissued Alternate Version) /

UNKNOWN ARTIST – THE CLOCK ON THE WALL (From Uncredited Acetate) /

DIANE LEWIS – YOU AIN’T GO A CHANCE (Cover Up – Real Artist Unknown) /

KENNY CARTER – WHAT’S THAT ON YOUR FINGER (Previously Unissued Rca Recording) /

CHRIS BARTLEY – I GO OUT OF MY MIND (Acetate – Possibly Eddie Kendricks) /

LOU JOHNSON – THE PANIC IS ON (Previously Unissued Version Now Available On Kent Cd).

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

When you see a topic such as this only has 18 views it makes me wonder why I bother trying to provide a bit of free entertainment every few days. 124 downloads but obviously 106 are NOT from Soul Source. Does the post not get seen? Are the podcasts just not to peoples tastes?

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Just seen this Pete... you little beauty! :rolleyes:

Not sure if you're aware, but you get an awful lot of visitors to your site and regardless of the lack of comments or input, their constant visitation is testament to their appreciation :no:

Social source share

Just seen this Pete... you little beauty! :no:

Not sure if you're aware, but you get an awful lot of visitors to your site and regardless of the lack of comments or input, their constant visitation is testament to their appreciation :wave:

The record site or the podcast site Karen? The hits on the podcasts are phenomenal. Part of my mission to convert all the soulies to rocksteady and reggae :rolleyes:

Social source share

Rocksteady and reggae... ooooh, my ears... they're bleeding lol.

What I've learned over the years, if it's good you get no feedback... if it's derogatory or inflammatory and argumentative you get lots of feedback... negative feed back that is... therefore, what you're doing is ALL GOOD :no:

As you know, the main communication and correspondence is complaints... you're not getting any so you're definitely doing the right thing :rolleyes:

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Great stuff Pete -

I needed this for the Hand It Over instr.

I had it on the CD that came out a few years ago then blew up my hard drive......

Fantastic instr - I will be karaoking all night now.

I also missed this first time around - glad someone replied, The Soul Girl to be precise, and drew my attention to it.

We need more pod - thingi m jigs...

Social source share

Great stuff Pete -

I needed this for the Hand It Over instr.

I had it on the CD that came out a few years ago then blew up my hard drive......

Fantastic instr - I will be karaoking all night now.

I also missed this first time around - glad someone replied, The Soul Girl to be precise, and drew my attention to it.

We need more pod - thingi m jigs...

Here's a link to all of my podcats on itunes - there's 39 of them! Everyone's welcome to download as many as you want ,they are all free.

If anyone enjoys them and can leave a review on itunes that would be superb!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/planet-records-radio-iphone/id375730335

Social source share

When you see a topic such as this only has 18 views it makes me wonder why I bother trying to provide a bit of free entertainment every few days. 124 downloads but obviously 106 are NOT from Soul Source. Does the post not get seen? Are the podcasts just not to peoples tastes?

fooking hell pete - you have been busy !!!!!!!!!

mental !!

I shall be downloading the lot !!!

awesome !!! as always !!!

Ive been ill and in hospital for a bit latley so I aint been on the PC and didn't notice this thread or your new podcasts.

But I for one as you know always appreciate the time and effort you take with these podcasts

they are fooking brilliant

we don't listen to the radio in work on nights any more !!!!!

They are all getting into Rocksteady instead of Lilly Allen LOL

Social source share

Thanks everyone, I am most humbled, honestly, but not sure why this podcast is being singled out, I did loads better than this one :D

Nice to see all the tracks in one place I suppose.

For anyone who's interested, there's a new volume of FORGOTTEN OLDIES going up in about half an hours time, I'll put a link up soon as it's ready.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert