Mrtag

• Replies 57
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

None of them come close to RCA for me, especially if you have a broad definition of what is Northern. I'm constantly being surprised at finding things I didn't know amongst RCA's catalogue, R'n'B, Popcorn, 7T's, etc, plus the fabulous Oldies etc.

But that's judged by quantity as much as quality, "best" records are a personal taste thing surely.

btw I've collected a few labels and pound for pound Brunswick are worth considering, plus most are really cheap to buy in N/S terms !

Social source share

FINE THANKS.....What about all the tunes on Motown,Soul,Tamla v.i.p etc? :D

I really should have mentioned not including Tamla related labels as there are so many but what the heck they are U.S. labels and they did a hell of a lot to enhance Northern Soul. ATB John.:yes::yes::no:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

I really should have mentioned not including Tamla related labels as there are so many but what the heck they U.S. labels and they did a hell of a lot to enhance Northern Soul. ATB John.:ohmy:thumbsup.gif:D

Carla, Karen, Moira stable. Dale Warren, Popcorn Wiley, Ollie McLaughlin, Sonny Sanders, Ala King etc etc. Choice labels IMO:yes: .

Kev

Social source share

Guest posstot

For me, hands down, for Northern....RnB....popcorn sound and big city soul it has to be

abc/paramount....:yes:

eg.

Rick Lovejoy(hi longy:wave: ), lloyd price, sapphires, impressions, m-3's, bobby scott, the trends, lamar morris, chuck payne,john leslie,buddy lamp, billy dawn, baby washington, del vikings, terri allen, eddie curtis,doug morris, reflections.....and that's just a few...phew:sweatingbullets: .

Mike

oh, and not forgetting the red hot RnB artist Conway Twitty......i shit ye not...(be played at the Hideaway in september, by yours truly.

Edited by posstot
Social source share

oh, and not forgetting the red hot RnB artist Conway Twitty......i shit ye not...(be played at the Hideaway in september, by yours truly.

Depends who's on first whistling.gifboxing.gif

Social source share

Mirwood is top of the 'northern soul' list for me. Not just because of the high proportion of 'northern soul' style tracks in their catalogue, but because they developed their very own sound by trying to emulate the Motown sound.

Almost by accident, I suppose.

Mirwood was like a raw low-budget version of Motown but sometimes with even more energy and drama. And they often got an even "hotter" sound than Motown by compressing the hell out of everything.

Next on my list would be Ric-Tic, again because they also ended up with their own sound - obviously very similar to Motown but there was a distinct Ric-Tic sound.

But Motown is what really inspired them.

Paul

Social source share

Guest posstot

Depends who's on first whistling.gifboxing.gif

if you play that from under my feet, i'll , i'll, i'll, i'll take you to kangaroo court!! i will.:thumbsup:

Social source share

small label big sounds LA-BEAT :huh::lol: Big Ask anybody out there know who did the drum's in the LPT's just listened to JAMES SHORTER - modern day woman the drums are very much ala AL WILLIAMS Dont ya think :yes: :yes: :yes::thumbsup::unsure:

Johnny Mills

Social source share

Albeit primarily a Detroit collector,and I totally empathise with earlier choices of Ric-Tic/Golden World, and latterly the Carla/Karen stable etc.(and not ignoring the Motown portfolio) I would totally concur with the Mirwood choice for its consistency with regard to the initial Thread Heading! :thumbsup: best, wilxy

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Atlantic and Cameo Parkway are close but the best label for me is

RCA - it also features the best Northern soul record ever on it

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

i think the d- town and subsidiaries put out a great amount of raw sounding tunes, they sound like the bands in the room with you.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

For the traditional early Northern sound it's Mirwood and the related Keymen for me.

Although it wasn't specifically tailor made for the early 70s Northern scene, much of it couldn't have been done better if it was.

Jimmy Conwell, Richard Temple, The Belles, Olympics, Jackie Lee, Bobby Garrett, Furys, Fi-dels, Bobby Womack

'kin mind blowing stuff at the time.

So many other great labels though.

My 2p

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

I,d have said mala, but does that come under bell records, and does bell have a parent company, just out of interest?

Social source share

I I had the chance to buy a complete set of all worthwile releases of a major label and an indie label I'd choose RCA and Shrine. Both cover about everything I like in 60s music from the US

... and I would live happily ever after...:unsure:

You And me both mate:yes: :huh::lol::yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

This was asked a few years ago, and I sheepishly added RCA, and was delighted at how many agreed.

Of the smaller labels. Romark has a high percentage of real top quality Northern Soul tunes. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Atlantic and Cameo Parkway are close but the best label for me is

RCA - it also features the best Northern soul record ever on it

Go on, I'll bite, what is the greatest ever on RCA iyho? (I've narrowed my favourite RCA 45 down to about 150 choices, so many good flip sides too ! )

Social source share

This was asked a few years ago, and I sheepishly added RCA, and was delighted at how many agreed.

Of the smaller labels. Romark has a high percentage of real top quality Northern Soul tunes. :thumbsup:

correct!! some great stuff on ARGO to:yes: :yes:

Social source share

:wicked:Hi All there is only a few 1. is the UK label Tamla-Motown it has been by far the most famous label in the WEST I am sure no one would disagree? so with that in-mind my choice would be Isleand/B&C Records as this companys output was a greater influance on my taste in music than any other, i think if you ask the majority of soul collctoe born 1950 to 55 would agree?? :no: DAVE
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

i would go for the groovesville groove city wheelesville stable for an indie and a good contender for a major label would be capitol.

Social source share

Johnny Mills

You sure Paul?

I thought Johnny Mills was one of the Masqueraders and a vocalists rather than a drummer? I know the LPTs did backing for loads of Lou Beaty's detroit lables and the line up changed often. Didn't they also do the backing for 'Baby Don't You Weep'?

Social source share

You sure Paul?

I thought Johnny Mills was one of the Masqueraders and a vocalists rather than a drummer? I know the LPTs did backing for loads of Lou Beaty's detroit lables and the line up changed often. Didn't they also do the backing for 'Baby Don't You Weep'?

Come on Ged spill the beans! If you know better let us know who's doing the drumming! Also it's the bongo's that are of interest to me so it may not be the drummer, although at that speed you would think that drumsticks would have had to have been used!! :yes:yes.gifthumbsup.gif ATB John

Social source share

Come on Ged spill the beans! If you know better let us know who's doing the drumming! Also it's the bongo's that are of interest to me so it may not be the drummer, although at that speed you would think that drumsticks would have had to have been used!! :yes:yes.gifthumbsup.gif ATB John

I don't know better Paul may well be right but this is a picture reportedly of Lou Beaty (on the right) and Johnny Mills rehearsing with the Masqueraders. I can't remember where I copied it from though. Clearly on this pic Johnny is laying down vocals but that doesn't mean he wasn't also a drummer.

post-2298-002690200 1281347134_thumb.jpg

Edited by ged parker
Social source share

I don't know better Paul may well be right but this is a picture reportedly of Lou Beaty (on the right) and Johnny Mills rehearsing with the Masqueraders. I can't remember where I copied it from though. Clearly on this pic Johnny is laying down vocals but that doesn't mean he wasn't also a drummer.

Nice one matey:thumbsup:

Social source share

You sure Paul?

Yes, Johnny Mills played drums. He was a member of the in-house band The LPTs and also wrote songs, mostly with Curtis Trusel.

Paul

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

As i said RCA being the best someone asked what was the best Northern soul record then on it, well it's Sugar Dumpling. that to me is my all time fav and certainly RCA at it's best

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert