Dance Moves

Guest dancedancedance

Guest dancedancedance

Northern soul is known for its unique and energetic dance moves. Most know of the back drops, spins and splits how many others are there and anyone know who first introduced some of the moves?

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

My guess is the artists themselves started it.

A lot of the sixties groups choreographed their dancing to coincide with the lyrics or breaks in the song.

I see a lot of those moves on the dancefloor, also certain tunes have the ability to impact at a certain time, and the body cracks into it, in time and sometimes by default.

Such is the grip of this style of music!

H

Social source share

Being on the 40s & 50s Rockabilly scene, i do see a few moves that are quite close to some of the dance moves at the Soul clubs :lol:

Boppin a style from the 50s, has a few moves like Stomping, i have found that i can mix the two at a Soul night :lol:

I have a video of Josephine Baker from the 1920's, & in her show she was spinning & jumping into the splits.............another act from the 20s called The Dodge Twins combined Tap Dancing with spins & splits :lol:

Even Teddy Boys of the 50s were always including backdrops in there style of dancing :yes:

Lindy from the late 30s-40s include Charlston steps from the 20's....................so i think it would be hard to say where a certain style came from or who was the first to do it.................as dancing started way back.

But i do like to watch a good dancer of any era :lol:

Debbie x

Edited by parkash
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

David Ruffin had all the moves. Watch Mr Cool at 2.34. Actually the rest of the Temps aren't bad either :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I love to dance and to be on the dance floor when your right in the zone cant be beaten, i love watching people dance too and the best ones to watch aint always the "best dancers" just people lost in the music :lol:

Social source share

I love to dance and to be on the dance floor when your right in the zone cant be beaten, i love watching people dance too and the best ones to watch aint always the "best dancers" just people lost in the music :yes:

I don`t say this very often Bearsy :no::lol: But I have to agree with you on that one :lol: if you got the passion to get up and have a go and lose yourself :yes: which i do round about 4 am at a niter :lol: good on ya :D Iv`e been boogying for over 30yrs never done a spin or backdrop in my life :lol:

Julie :D

Social source share

My mate Paul Hamer from Ramsbottom sort of pogo's round the dancefloor, with so much soul you can see it in his face,fantastic :D

Me i'm still learning :blush:

Social source share

I don`t say this very often Bearsy :no::lol: But I have to agree with you on that one :lol: if you got the passion to get up and have a go and lose yourself :yes: which i do round about 4 am at a niter :yes: good on ya :D Iv`e been boogying for over 30yrs never done a spin or backdrop in my life :lol:

Julie :D

Julie,

Its when you look at the play list when they post them on here,and you think yes last night I danced to that, and that, bloody hell and that, and so on.

Thats why the time flew by

been there many a time.:D

Kev. :lol:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

When I see old clips of James Brown it reminds me of us sliding around the floor... my moves have changes so much over the years... I think I've found a groove that's all my own now and not that which I thought should be. In the beginning it was a bit of a 'fashion' thing, now it's a definite 'groove' thing :thumbsup:

Edited by TheSoulgirl
Social source share

Guest dancedancedance

Check out the synchronised splits here - just after 1:50.

Plus I'm sure some of Jackie Wilson's stage antics found their way through to NS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9DYylC6WGk

MB

Fantastic! I love it :thumbsup:

Most of the artists' dance moves were highly choreographed and pretty tame in comparison with the moves which evolved on the dance floor. The Nicholas brothers were truly breathtaking dancers with their own sense of style adapted from tap, long before northern soul.

What about leg grinds any one know where these come from?

Social source share

When I see old clips of James Brown it reminds me of us sliding around the floor... my moves have changes so much over the years... I think I've found a groove that's all my own now and not that which I thought should be. In the beginning it was a bit of a 'fashion' thing, now it's a definite 'groove' thing :thumbsup:

I thought it was the dancers at the Twisted Wheel copying the American soul artists that visited.Keb Darge reckons that karate moves influenced the dancing in the mid seventies.What was the dancing like at the Torch and when did swallow dives into splits etc arrive.Ive also heard that the dancing at the mecca was a lot different...probably due to the funkier sounds.Whatever happened to the mecca shuffle........usually done to Time by Edwin Starr.I know a couple of kids that are being taught by Mr Sadot on here for the other (credible?) northern soul film.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Northern soul is known for its unique and energetic dance moves. Most know of the back drops, spins and splits how many others are there and anyone know who first introduced some of the moves?

Check out the Nicholas brothers on you tube. Fantastic dancing brothers from black America in the 30's and 40's. Now they could dance. Would love to have em back to dance to something like ' You just don't know '. There are a lot of northern style moves in there even back in them day's. Imagine having them at Wigan in 1974 ???

Social source share

Check out the Nicholas brothers on you tube. Fantastic dancing brothers from black America in the 30's and 40's. Now they could dance. Would love to have em back to dance to something like ' You just don't know '. There are a lot of northern style moves in there even back in them day's. Imagine having them at Wigan in 1974 ???

I posted a clip of them, post 5 thumbsup.gif

Social source share

anybody know who was actually responsible for the sych'd clips on youtube of the contours record played over the nicholas brothers film and the same brothers with run for cover - they were absolutely fantastic and i could watch em over and over. wonder why the genius responsible stopped? i know a couple of others exist but surely theres scope for more?

Social source share

Guest dancedancedance

My all time favorite dance..................Lindy :D

Im trying to teach poor Ian my partner at the moment :ohmy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTg5V2oA_hY&feature=related

Debbie x

That looks like lots of fun and the rock a billy! It would be very strange dancing with a partner, not sure I would trust any man enough to throw me about like that...and certainly not my other half.:yes:

Social source share

David Ruffin had all the moves. Watch Mr Cool at 2.34. Actually the rest of the Temps aren't bad either :ohmy:

Brillant watched a movie on Sky recently think it was made with ref to Otis Williams autobiography made David Ruffin out to be a twat no doubt he had his problems but what a legend love the claps on this just quality soul

Edited by fifesoul
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert