Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"Good or Very Good" Condition ???

By Goldmine grading standards , a record in "Good" condition would have LOADS of DEEP scratches , pops , and clicks , virtually unplayable.

"Very Good" would mean still lots of scratches and marks and not much better than "Good" ....

Based on those gradings , none of the records in the list, not even the big tunes, would be worth more than twenty to fifty quid really.

I think sellers should take the time to be more specific on gradings , and in particular describe whether a record has cue burn , plays slightly off centre, has it been been jocked with to any great extent , and give a separate grading for condition of label etc etc

I'm getting the impression that a lot of collectors outside the UK are becoming increasingly frustrated with UK Northern and Rare Soul dealers / jocks / collectors who ignore factors such as cue burn , label condition etc when selling records, and particularly the dreaded "Exc" grading (after Mint) that only people from the UK seem to use. And UK sellers never seem to recognise that a record can be graded anything less than VG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As if the "Poor / Fair / Good" gradings that everyone else uses around the world don't exist !!!

Gradings should go from:

MINT never played, as if hot off the press

VERY GOOD PLUS slightly less than mint, played only once or twice in its lifetime , the lightest handling scuff from sleeve etc

VERY GOOD some very light superficial marks , still really nice looking

GOOD more marks , cue burn , some scratches

FAIR more scratches (what some would call " good for DJing only, this is what many UK sellers would grade as "Excellent" !)

POOR very scratched all over

The grading of "EXCELLENT " should be completely removed from the mind set of UK sellers !!!

If a record has been jocked with for quite some time (causing groove wear) , but still appears to have very few marks visually , but may have cue burn etc , then I believe such a record should be graded as Fair or Good Plus , NOT as Exc or VG + that UK dealers have got into the habit of describing !!!

Anyway thats my lecture for today!!!

Think this topic of record grading on the soul scene in the UK definitely deserves a major thread on Soul Source. As I say non UK collectors are getting very frustrated at the way UK soul dealers describe what are otherwise only good or fair condition records as "Excellent or Very Good Plus " etc etc

I have to return more than a few big records to UK dealers for refunds over the last 12 months because of this...

Over to you Mr Moderator.................

biggrin.gif

Social source share

By Goldmine grading standards , a record in "Good" condition would have LOADS of DEEP scratches , pops , and clicks , virtually unplayable.

"Very Good" would mean still lots of scratches and marks and not much better than "Good" ....

Based on those gradings , none of the records in the list, not even the big tunes, would be worth more than twenty to fifty quid really.

I think sellers should take the time to be more specific on gradings ,  and in particular describe whether a record has cue burn , plays slightly off centre, has it been been jocked with to any great extent , and give a separate grading for condition of label etc etc

I'm getting the impression that a lot of collectors outside the UK are becoming increasingly frustrated with UK Northern and Rare Soul dealers / jocks / collectors who ignore factors such as cue burn , label condition etc when selling records, and particularly the dreaded "Exc" grading (after Mint) that only people from the UK seem to use.  And UK sellers never seem to recognise that a record can be graded anything less than VG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As if the "Poor  / Fair / Good" gradings that everyone else uses around the world don't exist !!!

Gradings should go from:

VERY GOOD PLUS slightly less than mint, played only once or twice in its lifetime , the lightest handling scuff from sleeve etc

GOOD  more marks , cue burn , some scratches

FAIR  more scratches  (what some would call " good for DJing only, this is what many UK sellers would grade as "Excellent" !)

The grading of "EXCELLENT " should be completely removed from the mind set of UK sellers !!!

If a record has been jocked with for quite some time (causing groove wear) , but still appears to have very few marks visually , but may have cue burn etc , then I believe such a record should be graded as Fair or Good Plus , NOT as Exc or VG + that UK dealers have got into the habit of describing !!!

Think this  topic of record grading on the soul scene in the UK definitely deserves a major thread on Soul Source. As I say non UK collectors are getting very frustrated at the way UK soul dealers describe what are otherwise only good or fair condition records as "Excellent or Very Good Plus "  etc etc

I have to return more than a few big records to UK dealers for refunds over the last 12 months because of this...

biggrin.gif

link

Funny thing, i've just bought a small collection & there are 2 of your wants in there that i noticed on your wants list on another thread, which are the Karmello Brooks & Unique Blend, as i've got these already i was going to contact you to offer you them. Now i've just read this, i'm glad i've not done so, as you sound like you could be a pain in the arse.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Go and f*** yourself ,for most people in the uk my word is good enough you dont want em so fuckin what.All the records are in good or very good condition no scratches marks labels have no tears or writeing,they dont hiss or jump,would be good enough for dj or collector ,oh and ther 30 yrs old,you pillock.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

In the record collecting world "good" or "G" means bad, as in shit and covered in scratches.

In the real world "bad" means good, as in "yeah dood, that record is real bad! Like wicked, man."

It's like the biggest rapper in the world is white, and the two best golfers are black.

It doesn't make sense. :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Since so many records were mishandled in the UK, some for decades, you can't have such high expectations even when it's 'goldmine'. I prefer the lists without grades now because you'll know it will usually at least be vg(+) which can't be said for many listed as such.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Since so many records were mishandled in the UK, some for decades, you can't have such high expectations even when it's 'goldmine'.  I prefer the lists without grades now because you'll know it will usually at least be vg(+) which can't be said for many listed as such.

link

I think you'll find most of them were mishandled in the States before reaching these shores, where they have been handled and cherished more than in their homeland.

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Ive sold two off the list to two lifelong collectors so my gradeing must be fairly good as they were both perfectly happy with the records.How come its always the overseas collectors that like to have a pop at the uk,perhaps its because the soul scene is, and always will be centered in the uk.I wouldnt buy a record in bad condition and certainly wouldnt sell one in bad nick,and before i knew were you came from [oz] i did offer to meet to show them to you,so i would hardly be trying to stich you up.

Social source share

I'm getting the impression that a lot of collectors outside the UK are becoming increasingly frustrated with UK Northern and Rare Soul dealers / jocks / collectors who ignore factors such as cue burn , label condition etc when selling records, and particularly the dreaded "Exc" grading (after Mint) that only people from the UK seem to use :thumbsup:

link

"DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU........."

This is the same Agent Double R-Soul, the same patronising wee shite who keeps slagging off the British lifestyle and claims to have a bigger collection than Tim Brown. The same guy who made himself a pain in the ass with his arrogant drivel against the UK Soul Scene.

Now where did I put that article explaining that the Soul Scene originated in Australia and is patented by a certain George Coumbis?

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

"DON'T BITE THE HAND THAT FEEDS YOU........."

This is the same Agent Double R-Soul, the same patronising wee shite who keeps slagging off the British lifestyle and claims to have a bigger collection than Tim Brown.  The same guy who made himself a pain in the ass with his arrogant drivel against the UK Soul Scene.

Now where did I put that article explaining that the Soul Scene originated in Australia and is patented by a certain George Coumbis?

link

Sorry Gene, didn't want to start an international incident here or offend anyone, just some sensible discussion about the issue of record grading. It was just that more than a few people in recent years seemed to have been a little let down by the condition of records bought from some well known collectors / dealers in the UK.

Of course there are dodgy dealers all over the world, but I think the point I was hoping to make was that we could all try to tighten up the approach to grading , which would benefit all of us in the end, especially on the rare soul scene which means the most to me and the scene that most of the people on this site circulate in. That's all I was trying to do.

By the way my closest mates are just about all from the UK. To be honest with you, I couldn't possibly come anywhere near Tim Brown as far as record collections go and I certainly never claimed rights to the Soul Scene in OZ either, maybe I gave the wrong impression ... if that was the impression given.

If I did offend Gene , or anybody else , now or before, my unreserved apologies to all.

Hope to be over there in the near future and catch up with many long time friends and have a few drinks ... on me of course.

Cheers

Social source share

Guest OSCARP

I think sunnysoul has a good point and condition does vary between some of the top dealers and collectors. Prices should vary greatly for good and fair condition records. State the condition and we take our choice !!

Social source share

Guest OSCARP

Mind you, I think the same as you Andy......I too thought Linda Jones was Wonderwoman :thumbsup::thumbsup:

LINDA CARTER,MY HEART NEEDS A BREAK,LOMA DEMO,125

Social source share

Hiya All

Got to get some input here!! Having bought a record from Andy last night, i have seen his sales box and conditions etc. The record i was told by Andy was in MINT condition. Feck me when i saw it i thought it had never been played!!!!!! I for one would buy a record from him unseen and trust his grading which is more than i can say for certain dealers................NUFF SAID

Rick

Social source share

I think you'll find most of them were mishandled in the States before reaching these shores, where they have been handled and cherished more than in their homeland.

link

Hi Dave,

Most of the mishandling I'm referring to is groove damage from overused, overweighted, and misaligned styli which can only happen by people who play the records so we agree on that part. :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest remus

Ive sold two off the list to two lifelong collectors so my gradeing must be fairly good as they were both perfectly happy with the records.How come its always the overseas collectors that like to have a pop at the uk,perhaps its because the soul scene is, and always will be centered in the uk.I wouldnt buy a record in bad condition and certainly wouldnt sell one in bad nick,and before i knew were you came from [oz] i did offer to meet to show them to you,so i would hardly be trying to stich you up.

link

If you come across any 'bad nick' records, I'll take them off your hands for the postage?, fair deal?

Social source share

Guest remus

I think sellers should take the time to be more specific on gradings ,  and in particular describe whether a record has cue burn , plays slightly off centre, has it been been jocked with to any great extent , and give a separate grading for condition of label etc etc

I'm getting the impression that a lot of collectors outside the UK are becoming increasingly frustrated with UK Northern and Rare Soul dealers / jocks / collectors who ignore factors such as cue burn , label condition etc when selling records, and particularly the dreaded "Exc" grading (after Mint) that only people from the UK seem to use.  And UK sellers never seem to recognise that a record can be graded anything less than VG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  As if the "Poor  / Fair / Good" gradings that everyone else uses around the world don't exist !!!

Gradings should go from:

GOOD  more marks , cue burn , some scratches

FAIR  more scratches  (what some would call " good for DJing only, this is what many UK sellers would grade as "Excellent" !)

Think this  topic of record grading on the soul scene in the UK definitely deserves a major thread on Soul Source. As I say non UK collectors are getting very frustrated at the way UK soul dealers describe what are otherwise only good or fair condition records as "Excellent or Very Good Plus "  etc etc

link

The World should adopt these FOUR grades only;

1.BLINDING (or would accept PUCKER)

2.YEAH NICE (you won't be chased for a refund)

3.(Pause)....IT'S ALRIGHT (wait a week before cashing cheque)

4.TOTTENHAM :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Funny thing, i've just bought a small collection & there are 2 of your wants in there that i noticed on your wants list on another thread, which are the Karmello Brooks & Unique Blend, as i've got these already i was going to contact you to offer you them. Now i've just read this, i'm glad i've not done so, as you sound like you could be a pain in the arse.

link

couldn't agree with you more-Pottsy I actually looked at his profile to see where he lived but i think he'sUK based

DJ whistling.gif

Social source share

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert