Rules

I have a legit copy of Johnny Hamilton / Oh How I Love You - Horaces white label test press

is this ok to play out?

it is posted in another thread but as I have not recieved any answers thought it best to give it its own thread

TIA

regards,

mike

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

• Replies 151
  • Views 10.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Why, do you think you might be arrested if it's on the wrong label or something?

I'd play it if it was on Pye Disco Demand.

i keep getting told that they need to be on orig format Pete or in danger of not getting asked to do spots. the thing is, i only play about twice a year and thats plenty enough for me BUT..... with all the crap spouted about which format is and isn't allowed i have tried to adhere to the new rules & i am asking because i dont know what the rules are ...... they can change from minute to minute :D

one dj told me it MUST be the first issue ..... even if it is a legit second release it cannot be played at a venue (this is the rule he sets out for the nights he promotes). then we have another dj (who plays at said promoters events) saying that he will play any release as long as it is a legit release :D

all i want to know is ..... does my copy of Little Johnny Hamilton fit the criteria of acceptance to be played out?

i'm not being funny ...... if these rules are expressed continually, i think i have a right to ask what the rules are with this legit test press and hope somebody will be able to give me an answer :lol:

p.s. i would also like to find out the value but that is not so important as the above question

Social source share

In a DJ spot of an hour you get 20 records or so to play, out of that 20 so why play 2nd issues or re- issues, the Northern scene has plenty of records to choose from? plenty :D

Agree totally - why play a 2nd issue? - anyone can do that no.gif

Decent DJs have the real deal 45s which is what it's all about in my opinion

Plus, if you only play out a couple of times a year then that really underlines the point that you don't need to look at 2nd issues at all - as you only have 40 or 50 records to find for a whole year of DJing :D

Why not just pick something else to play - or buy the one for sale on here at the moment? :lol:

Hope this helps

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I have a legit copy of Johnny Hamilton / Oh How I Love You - Horaces white label test press

is this ok to play out?

it is posted in another thread but as I have not recieved any answers thought it best to give it its own thread

TIA

regards,

mike

Get a dj spot at a Nottingham soul venue...99% of um dont give a S**T what a 45 is played on :lol:

Social source share

is this ok to play out?

TIA

regards,

mike

I've had a similar dilemma with my UK copy of Chuck Cockerham Mike.I usually play that at home with the curtains drawn.We can't afford real ones.

Social source share

In a DJ spot of an hour you get 20 records or so to play, out of that 20 so why play 2nd issues or re- issues, the Northern scene has plenty of records to choose from? plenty :lol:

not really interested in getting into the ins-and-outs of the whys-and-whats etc ..... just looking for an answer to my question thanks

Social source share

IN THE SOUL POLICE MANUEL ITS TOTALLY ILLEGAL I``M AFRAID MIKE..................................... no.gif

LOL

DAVE

:D that's the type of answer i was looking for :D

thank you for all those who took the time to reply :lol:

regards,

mike

Social source share

The problem I've got with this topic is not whether Mike plays his Johnny Hamilton 45 or not, but that he has to seek some sort of permission to do so from a bunch of f*ckwits on an internet site who think they make up all the rules.

I think you'll find Mike is doin' a bit of fishing..........:thumbsup: no major bites as yet........waiting for the big un :thumbsup: .

Best Russ

Social source share

The problem I've got with this topic is not whether Mike plays his Johnny Hamilton 45 or not, but that he has to seek some sort of permission to do so from a bunch of f*ckwits on an internet site who think they make up all the rules.

So is that a yes Pete..?

Social source share

not really interested in getting into the ins-and-outs of the whys-and-whats etc ..... just looking for an answer to my question thanks

Ok NO unless it was a different take, I had a copy of both of these record and preferred the Dore mix to the Kent one if only that the difference was in the press and not from the master tapes.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Errrmmm - thanks for that Pete

The thread was asking for opinions on what is always a hot issue - I just voiced my opinion, as you did yours

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

is this ok to play out?

TIA

regards,

mike

Mike

its nice to play off all original-something I've always done-but its entirely up to you what you do

#

HOWEVER--if you and I were DJing at the same club/ night and I was following you and LJH was the biggest oldie in the country--

I'd be seriously pissed off if you deprived me of playing the original by playing a 2nd issue

i saw it done recently with Jackie day " Naughty boy" exactly as above.. now thats a serious record to own on original

and not nice to have a £10 boot played 15 mins before you come on

Rob

Social source share

In a DJ spot of an hour you get 20 records or so to play, out of that 20 so why play 2nd issues or re- issues, the Northern scene has plenty of records to choose from? plenty :thumbsup:

So what happens when lets say a paying customer wants to hear an "i'm Gone" or a "Narbay" or any sound where it is very rare very expensive but at the same time so known to even lets say newbies to the soul scene??

To my way of thinking so long as the above sounds or any other are not owned by a dj who is playing the same venue as yourself and could well have wanted to play them then who gives a fook!! (we all know which dj's are likely to own such sounds).

Prime example of all this tosh is the grapevine records, they are all British originals and all legal issues.......with this in mind does it mean we will NEVER hear Betty Boo "say it isnt so" ever again!!

Politics politics its killing the scene!!

Social source share

Prime example of all this tosh is the grapevine records, they are all British originals and all legal issues.......

But are they?

I'd have thought if Grapevine were 100% legit they would have released Hey Little Way Out Girl under it's original artist instead of it's cover up title (or better still not released it at all LOL)

Now if I was a member of the Construction I'd be pretty p****d off with the guy's in charge of Grapevines owners RCA.

Social source share

So what happens when lets say a paying customer wants to hear an "i'm Gone" or a "Narbay" or any sound where it is very rare very expensive but at the same time so known to even lets say newbies to the soul scene??

To my way of thinking so long as the above sounds or any other are not owned by a dj who is playing the same venue as yourself and could well have wanted to play them then who gives a fook!! (we all know which dj's are likely to own such sounds).

Prime example of all this tosh is the grapevine records, they are all British originals and all legal issues.......with this in mind does it mean we will NEVER hear Betty Boo "say it isnt so" ever again!!

You've covered the point I made Daz--respect your fellow DJs--if they own the originals stay well clear-but a request at a soul night-legitimate uk issue --FINE thumbsup.gif

But Bootlegs nahsad.gif

Rob

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

But are they?

I'd have thought if Grapevine were 100% legit they would have released Hey Little Way Out Girl under it's original artist instead of it's cover up title (or better still not released it at all LOL)

Now if I was a member of the Construction I'd be pretty p****d off with the guy's in charge of Grapevines owners RCA.

Hardly anyone knew it was Construction Martin-always played and massive as Del-capris-done to cash in on the demandthumbsup.gif

Rob

Social source share

was Betty Boo ever released on any other label than uk grapevine??

as far as im aware it was'nt ...so your example does'nt quite answer the point imho.

At the end of the day .. it's more a case of who is promoting the venue and what his/her policy is regarding original vinyl or re-issue/boot/carver etc etc.

Just as it's every punters right as to wether to attend a venue that supports o.vo. or not o.v.o

simple as otherwise this article will be the same as every other ......an argument as to why o.v.o or who is right or wrong ....never ending and pointless exchanges that end up heated and in the end resolve nothing .

enjoy the rest of the weekend boys and girls :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hardly anyone knew it was Construction Martin-always played and massive as Del-capris-done to cash in on the demandthumbsup.gif

Rob

Know that Rob but the point I'm making is was any copyright paid to the artists. Doubt it as they were'nt even named.

You know me Rob. Always speak up for the artists first & if the artists get a cut from a legit repress I can't see the problem unless a night is advertised as OVO only.

Social source share

Know that Rob but the point I'm making is was any copyright paid to the artists. Doubt it as they were'nt even named.

You know me Rob. Always speak up for the artists first & if the artists get a cut from a legit repress I can't see the problem unless a night is advertised as OVO only.

What about CDs, what about "Bootleg" British where no royalties / copy right was ever paid we know a song about that --don't we Martinlaugh.gif

Rob

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Get a dj spot at a Nottingham soul venue...99% of um dont give a S**T what a 45 is played on :thumbsup:

Kin ell!!!!!! Like that.....like that a lot:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Betty Boo never had a release other than grapevine.............so you can hear this all day long if you want to

Great tune:thumbsup:

Social source share

THATS WHY I PUT THE `LOL` NEXT TO MY ANSWER PETE, MY ANSWER WAS TOUNGE IN CHEEK. WHILE I TRY TO PLAY ORIGINALS IVE BEEN KNOWN TO PLAY 100 CLUB ANNIVERSARY 45`S OR SAY DAVID RHODES `HUNG UP` AND I WOULD EXPECT TO BE PERSECUTED BY SOME..... BUT IM NOT BOTHERED ABOUT THAT

DAVE

Social source share

I think you'll find Mike is doin' a bit of fishing..........:thumbsup: no major bites as yet........waiting for the big un :D .

Best Russ

hi Russ, hope you are well :yes:

it is a genuine question Russ, i did put 'not being funny'

the 'rules' get shouted about and i have been trying to adhere to them when i've played lately however i need to know what rules i'm supposed to be following.

the rules do seem to change depending on who the dj is though (as stated in one of the posts on here). i'm sure you know of some that would play a second issue just because the orig is hard to come by :thumbsup:

another example was a fairly recent event i dj'd at and it was OVO however 1 of the dj's played a boot (the boot has a fault in them and could be heard as clear as day when he played it out)

this is not about arguing over the playing of boots/second issues etc ...nor fishing for bites.... it was a genuine question about the playing of a legit test press of Little Johnny Hamilton ...... and the reason was given... that i have been told that unless i play ovo then i may not get spots .......fair enough for me to ask about this record for that reason don't you think

Social source share

.....AND WITH NEARLY 22,000 POSTS ON THIS SITE, PETE. YOU ARE INDEED THE TOP F*CKWIT :P

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Surely this is a matter of personal opinion?

If you wanna play boots, carvers etc etc just play them.

If you want to play only the original of any record then do that.

Why ask any one else's permission? What sort of acceptance are you looking for?

Social source share

Surely this is a matter of personal opinion?

If you wanna play boots, carvers etc etc just play them.

If you want to play only the original of any record then do that.

Why ask any one else's permission? What sort of acceptance are you looking for?

you obviously haven't read the thread or you wouldn't need to ask that question; permission was not being asked :P

i find that insulting and was going to put an insulting word back to describe what i thought of you for making that comment however; there is a whole thread in freebasing the describes the sort of person who would make the comment you have

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Just thought of this pearl of wisdom to go with the rest....

Don't play bootlegs or Carvers and try to pass them off as the ORIGINAL 45...

Rob

ooooooooooooooooooohhhh Rob!!!!!!!! that just begs to open up old arguments about the dj's who make those sort of rules and then get carvers done so they dont wear out their orig copies (and it is acceptable by the 'soul police' standards ...... or the 'well known' boys club that can play anything they like and not get questioned about it) one rule for one.........

but i really dont want to be drawn into that pile of hypocrisy ........ i have the answer i was looking for regarding Johnny Hamilton so i'll leave it there ..... thanks for all the replies; with the exception of paultp's which was unnecessary and uncalled for

Social source share

ooooooooooooooooooohhhh Rob!!!!!!!! that just begs to open up old arguments about the dj's who make those sort of rules and then get carvers done so they dont wear out their orig copies (and it is acceptable by the 'soul police' standards ...... or the 'well known' boys club that can play anything they like and not get questioned about it) one rule for one.........

but i really dont want to be drawn into that pile of hypocrisy ........ i have the answer i was looking for regarding Johnny Hamilton so i'll leave it there ..... thanks for all the replies; with the exception of paultp's which was unnecessary and uncalled for

Glad you got your answer in the end Mike :P

Was just gonna add my two-penneth as well :lol:

Regards

Juilie x

Social source share

Glad you got your answer in the end Mike :lol:

Was just gonna add my two-penneth as well sad.gif

Regards

Juilie x

hi Julie, hope you are well :P

i'm done with posting on this thread but will be interested to read others opinions if they get posted ........ so please, post your thoughts :lol:

see ya soon x

Social source share

Here goes Mike :P

It is only mvho and personal thoughts, but if the event is booked as a ovo it should be ovo. Last year I went to a do for my birthday the event was billed as ovo but in one of the dj`s set a boot was played, very naughty was my opinion . when challenge the excuse was well it was a request and we must keep the punters happy, what a load of tosh if you aint got it dont play a boot tell the person you aint got it .SIMPLES

Sorry off thread a bit ,

If everyone starts playing non ovo i might as well start djing myself lololol as i have some fantastic boots :lol: that i only play in the comfort of my own bedroom biggrin.gif

So if you aint sure Mike dont play it out :lol:

regards

Julie x

Social source share

Here goes Mike :P

It is only mvho and personal thoughts, but if the event is booked as a ovo it should be ovo. Last year I went to a do for my birthday the event was billed as ovo but in one of the dj`s set a boot was played, very naughty was my opinion . when challenge the excuse was well it was a request and we must keep the punters happy, what a load of tosh if you aint got it dont play a boot tell the person you aint got it .SIMPLES

Sorry off thread a bit ,

If everyone starts playing non ovo i might as well start djing myself lololol as i have some fantastic boots :lol: that i only play in the comfort of my own bedroom biggrin.gif

So if you aint sure Mike dont play it out :lol:

regards

Julie x

thanks Julie but the record in question is not a boot - it is a legit test press - totally different thing imo

regards,

mike x

Social source share

thanks Julie but the record in question is not a boot - it is a legit test press - totally different thing imo

regards,

mike x

OOPPSSS sorry Mike :lol: never seen one of tho`s no.gif now I`ll shut me gob and leave this thread to the soul-police and the anoracks :P

Catch you at Pilsley ( hope fully ) bring it to show me :lol:

Julie x

Social source share

you obviously haven't read the thread or you wouldn't need to ask that question; permission was not being asked :lol:

i find that insulting and was going to put an insulting word back to describe what i thought of you for making that comment however; there is a whole thread in freebasing the describes the sort of person who would make the comment you have

He answered exactly the same as I did so that makes two of us who don't understand the thread then. You're asking if you should play a UK release of a US record. A thread thats been done about 4000 times already.

Social source share

He answered exactly the same as I did so that makes two of us who don't understand the thread then. You're asking if you should play a UK release of a US record. A thread thats been done about 4000 times already.

sorry you are finding this hard to understand Pete, i thought it was pretty clear:

i keep getting told that they need to be on orig format or i'm in danger of not getting asked to do future spots.

if i played the legit test press of LJH out, would that mean i am putting myself in 'danger' of not getting asked to do future spots?

I cant make it any simpler than that ...... apologies if i have not read all the threads regarding british V us records

regards,

mike

Social source share

sorry you are finding this hard to understand Pete, i thought it was pretty clear:

i keep getting told that they need to be on orig format or i'm in danger of not getting asked to do future spots.

if i played the legit test press of LJH out, would that mean i am putting myself in 'danger' of not getting asked to do future spots?

I cant make it any simpler than that ...... apologies if i have not read all the threads regarding british V us records

regards,

mike

Not getting asked "by whom"??

Social source share

Hi Mike,for what it's worth,my opinion is the same as a few others,if your not sure don't play it,or do play it and see what reaction you get. I,personnally only have ovo but still never get asked to dj so don't worry

regards ktf Gigs

Social source share