Studio One Original Versus Reissue

Agent45

Are there any surefire ways to tell a 1969 original on Studio One from a reissue of the "In Memory of Don Drummond" album (Studio One CSL-8021)?

I presume that Coxonne kept this in print for years after he moved to New York, but I'd love to know how one could tell if a copy is truly original or not.

drummond.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

item1c1a1a1-98.gif_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gif>>> Home | News | Albums | Books | Labels | Links | Rarities <<<

_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gifmemorya.jpegIN MEMORY OF DON DRUMMOND2

Studio One CSL-8021

matrix: C.S.Dodd 022701

Man In The Street; Don D. Memorial; Don Cosmic; Sound One; Don D. Serenade; Reload; Street Corner // Vat 7; Scandal; (title unknown)*; Cool Shade; Lawless Street; Thoroughfare; Green Island

* listed as Rock Away - but it isn't...

Also released on CD (Studio One CD-8021).

_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gif_clear.gifYou can hardly call this a reissue when it only shares 3 tracks with the original vinyl album (Man In The Street, Reload & Green Island). So quite why Coxsone should want to pass it off as a straight reissue instead of heralding it as a superb new collection featuring unreleased material defies understanding.

What we get are ten tracks that haven't been compiled on LP or CD before (well, not on Studio One, at least), and all great ska instrumentals featuring the incomparable trombone of Don Drummond. Certainly a "must have" for any serious ska collector.

Thoroughfare and Green Island are Treasure Isle productions, and Lawless Street will be recognisable as a Justin Yap production.

Social source share

Good information, thanks! Here's the track listing on my LP: Green Island / Scrap Iron / Man In the Street / This Man Is Back / Royal Flush / Reload / Far East / Sudden Attack / Walk the Town / Johnney Dark / Look Through the Window / Adis-Aba-Ba

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Good information, thanks! Here's the track listing on my LP: Green Island / Scrap Iron / Man In the Street / This Man Is Back / Royal Flush / Reload / Far East / Sudden Attack / Walk the Town / Johnney Dark / Look Through the Window / Adis-Aba-Ba

Ok a recent CD from Coxsone with the same cover has a different track list to confuse things.

But back to the LP - I believe it was originally released in Jamaica and then in the USA

and it was re-released in the 80s on black and white studio one with all the other 60s LPs (ska au go go etc)

So as I understood it there was a original Jamaican press with blue label and a American press with yellow label

the black and white label was later re-press.

That is my understanding

post-6465-085811800 1282605460_thumb.jpg

post-6465-086505100 1282605475_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert