Promoters

I'm not so pessimistic. We've got a nice little club running and in the spirit of the early 80s we play new things and experiment and we try to avoid the obvious. Every month i'm glad we run it because i always hear something brilliant and something new to my ears. The majority of what we play is northern soul, but we also play RnB, crossover and funk that to me is dancable and could easily be played in a main room by an adventurous DJ. We don't make any money at all because having a place like Move On is more important than ramming a big venue and making a fortune and to be honest the number of people wanting to hear something different is quite small on the scene as a whole.

The scene is in two parts now, with the oldies venues getting the numbers and making the money and despite what many say there are unfortunately very few people who go out to hear something other than oldies and it's very hard for any promoter running an oldies night to start mixing it up a bit for fear of losing numbers,although i think dancers are far more accepting than promoters and DJs think, it just takes someone with balls to stop playing only classic oldies or big money rareities. That's why second rooms are more useful these days playing rarely heard stuff, promoters can keep their main room for oldies and still play something different without losing the numbers.

Eventually i think numbers will dip again, like they did in the 90s, but to be honest i don't think it will make any difference to the upfront scene, although the oldies scene might suffer.

As Stevie says, like in life there will always be promoters in it for the money, those who do it for their egos and those who think they are doing the scene a service. I hope at Move On we are the latter, otherwise we'd pack it in tomorrow. :hatsoff2:

Good post again Matt.Regarding numbers,i think,from being around and reading SS,that the rare scene is generally on its arse.The oldies/atb venues are buoyant.So i agree with you.The oldies scene will suffer a dip,just as the rare scene has.Human nature.

Someone mentioned a collective of soul nights :hatsoff2: ,each offering support etc to promote interest in each venue.Showcasing each venue's different music policies.Maybe that avenue has not been explored.

Then from the collectives,give extra added support for the All nighter scene - feeder clubs if you like.

Social source share

• Replies 211
  • Views 16.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

sadly i think this will never stop while there are punters out there.....its human nature that some people just dont give a f*** !

aswell as the scooter scene,northern has been having a bit of a revival amoungst 40 sumfins for the last few years , looking around stoke last week i did wonder how long events of this size will go on without youngblood (yes i know there were some youngsters there,inc one who must have only been about 12,great dancer he was too !)...i suspect not long ...so i think the future is smaller and less nites without so many clashes....as has happened in the south west this year

speaking for ourselves at go go children in bristol.....john started our night because there was no strictly 60s nites in bristol and while we welcome the few travellers we get it is more of a "local thing for local people" a lot of which are too young to remember or even know about the 70s scene..

we ran on the 3rd friday for 2 years without hardly any clashes,when we lost our venue we could only get a saturday night and tried our hardest to find a regular date that didnt clash with other simaliar nites in the south west...emailing all promoters to ask for their future dates.(although this was also because me and nicci are regular dancers at riverside,wooten hall,bridgewater and soulfusion.and didnt wanna miss any nites:yes: )..although the 1st saturday does clash with one of hot buttered soul nites in bris im sure mike would agree both our music and crowd are very different

as for the other bristol nite 'getting together' which does play 60s aswell as 70s we both try our hardest to HELP each other out..maybe this is because we are ina bit of a soul desert down here in bristol...you northerners dont know how lucky you are with so many punters...

sort it out FFS !!:hatsoff2:

dean

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Good post again Matt.Regarding numbers,i think,from being around and reading SS,that the rare scene is generally on its arse.The oldies/atb venues are buoyant.So i agree with you.The oldies scene will suffer a dip,just as the rare scene has.Human nature.

Someone mentioned a collective of soul nights :hatsoff2: ,each offering support etc to promote interest in each venue.Showcasing each venue's different music policies.Maybe that avenue has not been explored.

Then from the collectives,give extra added support for the All nighter scene - feeder clubs if you like.

the herts, beds, buck, north london and cambs area have been running a system like this for years now and i think i can speak for us all when we say that clashes are very few and far between....if ever!

Social source share

the herts, beds, buck, north london and cambs area have been running a system like this for years now and i think i can speak for us all when we say that clashes are very few and far between....if ever!

And a big thank you goes out to Chrissie O for doing that and letting us joint as outsiders...:hatsoff2:

(we are only Warwickshire)...:hatsoff2:

Social source share

If i dont like it i dont like it, whats wrong with that eh??

We know you don't like it......you've keep telling us time and time and time and time again.........

My post refers to the fact that I'm glad you don't want to attend Bidds cus I pretty sure you'd only moan about it afterwards.

What's wrong with that then?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Mark Freeman is a D.J & Promoter, and he pops up all over the place, up & down the country, he attends all niter's & soul nite's just as a punter, & Mark is one of the nicest guy's on the Soul Scene. What I love about Mark is that he loves to dance & that's where I first met him, on the dance floor, enjoying all sorts of music..

It takes all sorts to make a good event.

Julia

:thumbsup:

why you've picked mark out god only knows.........quite sure l never mentioned his name,but yes you're spot on, have seen him at loads of events JUST ENJOYING HIMSELF, but sadly for every mark there are plenty of others ( who are shite dj,s to boot ) who take this view, usually (apart from djing at THEIR venue ) that their love of the music dosn,t extend to other venues. They also are blissfully unaware that they're djing efforts are laughable and not fit for purpose thats why they start up their own venue and are quite happy running mediocre nights whilst coming on here trying to con folk that THEIR NIGHT has been a fantastic success when everyone else knows better. The rub is l,m afraid that if they can,t run their own night......you wouldn,t see em anywhere.....in the meantime the scene suffers. atb tezza

p.s sorry to highjack ya post Julia:D

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

And a big thank you goes out to Chrissie O for doing that and letting us joint as outsiders...:thumbsup:

(we are only Warwickshire)...laugh.gif

you're hardly a bloody outsider sian

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Come on Phil, we can't let venue managers dictate the number of soul nights and nighters on the scene. You're right, if it were down to the managers of venues there would be hundreds of events in the same town, they are trying to fill an empty slot in their calendars. Venue managers don't give a toss about the soul scene, they just want bar sales and a room in use. You say that if it wasn't you it would be someone else, well i think all of us should resist venues approaching promoters and trying to get them to start new nights without first checking if there are similar nights already on in the local area, or in the case of allnighters the same night.

I think you are probably well intentioned Phil, i don't know you personally and i apologise for insinuating earlier that you are in it for a fast buck, but in my opinion at the end of the day the soul scene needs cooperation between promoters not competition.

All the best

Matt

Hi Matt,

Great post and I take on board what you say.

I do think there can be times where a new venue in a town can be a shot in the arm for the scene in general in that area so long as other established events in any particular area dont clash and these are infrequent, if Loughborough did come off it would probably work closely with existing promoters and would be no more than twice a year.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Matt,

Great post and I take on board what you say.

I do think there can be times where a new venue in a town can be a shot in the arm for the scene in general in that area so long as other established events in any particular

area dont clash and these are infrequent, if Loughborough did come off it would probably work closely with existing promoters and would be no more than twice a year.

Cheers

Phil

Loughborough is certainly a good source for Northern Soul vinyl, cd, t shirts, badges, mugs, DVDs, 'Anniversary singles' etc.

If you get together with the local promoter, it should be hugely profitable.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Someone mentioned a collective of soul nights :thumbsup: ,each offering support etc to promote interest in each venue.Showcasing each venue's different music policies.Maybe that avenue has not been explored.

Although my little night might qualify as 'a tin-pot soul night' lol as someone described above, we have already operated a guest club policy and have had the Boogaloo, Kent Soul Club, Blueskies and 81 Soul Club's as guest clubs at our night - which works quite well every now and then.

Ady will also do reduced entry to the 100club for anyone travelling on from our place on the odd occasion we have clashed, which is a pretty cool guesture as most would travel on without the reduction.

All clubs are welcome to send us or put out fliers and we do try to give London events a mention on our facebook page and e-mails.

We also run trips to other clubs on occasion from our place which can be a laugh, so I would say clubs can co-operate/support each other without any hassle - could easily be transfered onto the 'bigger stage' of the allnighter, I am sure.

Dave

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

As Chalky stated earlier today, we do try and work togeather, we printed 5000 flyers at the end of 2009

post-900-013505600 1279908349_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

I dont think you have anything to worry about " Dave".....LOL ph34r.gif

Philly.............. the original.... recently booted !!!

Oh and "Phil" you say your job is a booker.. then surely you would rekkie the area and see what other venues and nighters etc where going on... isnt that part of your day job??

You say the venue managers wanted the soul nights / nighters... did you not have talks with these managers about other venues doing the same thing before you agreed to get involved... surely you would have to? As a co run event surely you discussed finance, profit etc ??? Does not add up............ Oh which part of County Durham do you hail from?

Hi Philly,

Sorry for booting your name.

I live in a town called Spennymoor, have lived here for just over ten years, I originate and lived in Matlock Derbyshire before this.

Yes all you say is correct and with Barrow and Chesterfield I am working with promoters of other events in these areas and discussed dates before proceeding.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi All

Sorry about keeping this going but I will not sit back and allow anyone to post incorrect facts when it effects what I do with my promotion

Tony,

You say you were only stating the facts as you saw them, you posted 'when we started the Legion there were no other local nights on and now there are, is it wrong to say this?

Well yes it was, because back in March on the 31st 2007, when you launched Ormskirk Soul Club at The Comrades Club, there where three other local events listed and established, Monaco Ballroom, 45 Carat Soul Formby Hall and Middlewich Legion, all listed months in advance of you launching your night, so I find it, a little ironic that you posted,

'These people don't give a shit about established venues and the effect their events have upon them' smacks of the Pot and Kettle

You also posted that the two Niters and soul night are run by people who run at least one other event and I now know you included me in that statement, well again you are wrong, I run one promotion...Radcliffe and you only think this is wrong when it does not include you,

just to jog your memory:

July 2007 you moved to Burscough British Legion you then launched another event, 29th September Ormskirk Civic Hall, 'Motown & Classics' now't wrong with that, just don't sit well when you imply I and others run to many events to the detriment of the scene.

So just to finish you did not post facts, I run one niter, I have done nothing but support your event with mailouts and reduced entrance, so if your numbers are on the wain, don't try and blame me or my promotion,

suggest you take a look closer to home.

Chris.

To be honest I can't be arsed carrying on this argument, but as a final comment I would just like to clarify one or two points you have brought up and rectify some mistakes.

We started Ormskirk Soul Club at the Comrades Club on Saturday 31st March 2007 (after running events at Ormskirk Civic Hall for the previous 3 years) and held events on the fourth Saturday of the month after that, on Saturday 28th April and Saturday 26th May. We finished the events at the Comrades Club due to problems with the venue and moved to Burscough British Legion, again holding our events on the fourth Saturday of the month starting on 30th June 2007.

As far as I am aware we never clashed with either the Monaco Soul Club or Formby Halls during this time (Monaco has always been 1st Saturday of the month and Formby Halls 3rd Friday and now 3rd Saturday)----indeed these two events are run by the same promoters so why would they be held on the same night? As for Middlewich British Legion we have never considered it to be a local venue (too far away from Ormskirk or Burscough) so it would not have affected the planning of any of our event dates.

The music policy at Burscough Legion was completely different to Ormskirk Civic Hall-----the Civic was always an oldies venue, Burscough has more of an underplayed musical policy. We started running nights at the Civic again in tandem with the Legion because local people asked us to----the music policy at the Legion was not to their liking and they wanted a place to go locally. However,we could never get a regular date at the Civic and therefore held the events when the venue was available but always tried not to clash with other local venues. However the Civic proved untenable in financial terms so we stopped the events for good after just a few events. Ormskirk Civic was already an established venue when we ran our Motown and Classic Soul events, it had been run for the previous three years by us so it was not a new event but a continuation of an existing one----we ran two completely different events a few miles apart with seperate music policies and mostly a different crowd at each one.

As I have said before I do not want a slanging match with you, but you state that you do not run any other events other than Radcliffe. If you are prepared to bring up things from 2007 then you should also remember an event from a few months ago that you helped to co-promote---the Stafford Reunion.

I also mentioned that your event does not have a great affect on our venue as it only clashes 2--3 times a year. When I posted my original comments they were aimed at other local promoters more than yourself, but you are the only one who has replied.

As for the numbers at our venue being on the wane this is far from the truth. Considering where we are located and the type of music we play we have always done well with consistent numbers attending our events from all over the North West and beyond. We could have taken the easy route and gone down the oldies road---we would definitely have had higher attendances but we chose not to do this. Our numbers are as good now as when we first started and show no signs of dropping off----new people come to Burscough constantly along with a hard core of regular punters so I don't think I have to look any closer to home.

This is the last I will write on this subject, you are welcome to come over to Burscough at any time and we will extend the same welcome to you that we do to everyone else who attends our events.

Tony

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Derby is only an Hour from Rugby and i presume you will be at your own promotion and if your putting on such a grand nighter you must be relying on a lot of travellers from all over the country so why dont you travel to other nighters that offer a vey simialr event as you after doing,

why are you in the scene is it for the love of the music or just the ego and hopefully to make some money ??

Hi Bearsy,

I do travel, in the last month attended Brid Weekender, Whitby Weekender , Grosvenor Rooms, and Stoke Kings Hall,

Definately in it for the love of the scene, ask any current promoter and you will find few shouting about vast profits, I would think nowadays breaking even is a result. I used to promote Northern All - Nighters 29 years ago with DJ's Richard Searling, Pat Brady, Soul Sam, Dave Evison etc and never made any money then. ( perhaps I'm just crap at it )

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

...but you also said, earlier in the thread (and I quote).......

"yeah but come on most of the established promotors er? i mean venues all tend to be run by the same people who runn more than one venue and tend to rule the roost in my opinion, so forget blaming others ..i think people are becoming a little bored with them ."

You posts seem to contradict each other.......so are you 'For' or 'Against' new promotions appearing out of nowhere to clash with other local established events? (whether that be your local area or not) ?

in answer to your question in general no i dont think its right to clash , and as i said some of the established venues tend to run more than one club .i had them in mind when i did my post .

the established venue i was thinking about i attended for many years but i dont think the promotor would know me if he fell over me , not that that has anything to do with it , what i was also meaning is that some established venues have started to go down hill for many diferent reasons and (not just competition) the promotors friends dj's at one venue have started publicly telling people they are out of order for not coming :ohmy: so i stopped going completly but thats a diferent matter, anyway its not as simple as deciding ....am i for or against new promotions appearing ?. what i was meaning .....is this..( is the new promotion going to be any diferent from the others ??) if not then who needs another?

but i take your point my post is ....was confusing

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

Chris.

To be honest I can't be arsed carrying on this argument, but as a final comment I would just like to clarify one or two points you have brought up and rectify some mistakes.

We started Ormskirk Soul Club at the Comrades Club on Saturday 31st March 2007 (after running events at Ormskirk Civic Hall for the previous 3 years) and held events on the fourth Saturday of the month after that, on Saturday 28th April and Saturday 26th May. We finished the events at the Comrades Club due to problems with the venue and moved to Burscough British Legion, again holding our events on the fourth Saturday of the month starting on 30th June 2007.

As far as I am aware we never clashed with either the Monaco Soul Club or Formby Halls during this time (Monaco has always been 1st Saturday of the month and Formby Halls 3rd Friday and now 3rd Saturday)----indeed these two events are run by the same promoters so why would they be held on the same night? As for Middlewich British Legion we have never considered it to be a local venue (too far away from Ormskirk or Burscough) so it would not have affected the planning of any of our event dates.

The music policy at Burscough Legion was completely different to Ormskirk Civic Hall-----the Civic was always an oldies venue, Burscough has more of an underplayed musical policy. We started running nights at the Civic again in tandem with the Legion because local people asked us to----the music policy at the Legion was not to their liking and they wanted a place to go locally. However,we could never get a regular date at the Civic and therefore held the events when the venue was available but always tried not to clash with other local venues. However the Civic proved untenable in financial terms so we stopped the events for good after just a few events. Ormskirk Civic was already an established venue when we ran our Motown and Classic Soul events, it had been run for the previous three years by us so it was not a new event but a continuation of an existing one----we ran two completely different events a few miles apart with seperate music policies and mostly a different crowd at each one.

As I have said before I do not want a slanging match with you, but you state that you do not run any other events other than Radcliffe. If you are prepared to bring up things from 2007 then you should also remember an event from a few months ago that you helped to co-promote---the Stafford Reunion.

I also mentioned that your event does not have a great affect on our venue as it only clashes 2--3 times a year. When I posted my original comments they were aimed at other local promoters more than yourself, but you are the only one who has replied.

As for the numbers at our venue being on the wane this is far from the truth. Considering where we are located and the type of music we play we have always done well with consistent numbers attending our events from all over the North West and beyond. We could have taken the easy route and gone down the oldies road---we would definitely have had higher attendances but we chose not to do this. Our numbers are as good now as when we first started and show no signs of dropping off----new people come to Burscough constantly along with a hard core of regular punters so I don't think I have to look any closer to home.

This is the last I will write on this subject, you are welcome to come over to Burscough at any time and we will extend the same welcome to you that we do to everyone else who attends our events.

Tony

Tony

No mistake on dates, if you care to check back on the events guide you will see all venues I listed on the night you moved your event, Formby Hall and Monaco on the last Saturday of the month were run by different promoters,

As to thinking your numbers were on the wain and I quote you again

'To put it simply, its killing the local scene---these people don't give a shit about established venues and the effect their events have upon them'.

and finally if you comments were aimed more at other promoters, then why aim in my direction?

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Without promoters there wouldnt have been a Northern soul scene..... going back to The Catacombs/Wheel /Torch/The casino etc.

Social source share

We know you don't like it......you've keep telling us time and time and time and time again.........

My post refers to the fact that I'm glad you don't want to attend Bidds cus I pretty sure you'd only moan about it afterwards.

What's wrong with that then?

Apologies to the mods and apologies to yourself but your sarcastic reply was not called for.......was it. I have been to Bidds and Lifeline and other Rare do's, and i never even mentioned them at the time in any sort of way, it just so happens they are not my liking, along with the whole elitist rare soul scene that is played today. I remember when the whole scene was a rare soul scene and not split and divided as it is today. I am your out and out top 500 as its called biggest fan, its what floats my boat.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hi Bearsy,

I do travel, in the last month attended Brid Weekender, Whitby Weekender , Grosvenor Rooms, and Stoke Kings Hall,

Definately in it for the love of the scene, ask any current promoter and you will find few shouting about vast profits, I would think nowadays breaking even is a result. I used to promote Northern All - Nighters 29 years ago with DJ's Richard Searling, Pat Brady, Soul Sam, Dave Evison etc and never made any money then. ( perhaps I'm just crap at it )

Cheers

Phil

Good luck then Phil and i hope your nighters and soul nights are a success and that no one else starts up and clashes on the same nights as you and your numbers dont get affected with your punters having to split themselves and another venue finds itself only half full and with that people wont go cos no atmosphere and djs having the usual chat about how shite it is to dj in front of a half empty venue, best thing is though no matter how good or shite your night/nighters are you wont ever have to worry about getting djs you will be inundated with offers but dont expect to see 90% them supporting your night they only come alive behind the decks and willl play anything to get a spot :thumbup:

this isnt a pop at you its what is really happening in the scene today and you had the balls to put yourslf up and have defended yourself very gracefully so hats off to you for you seem a nice genuine fella :lol: if you didnt put any new nighters on someone else would so from how you have conducted yourself on here i feel you seem to be the right man for it unlike many a promoter that only wants to know the punter when it comes to taking their money off them at the door, i mean this too, best of luck thumbsup.gif

atb

Bearsy

ps, not saying its down to me who does what etc etc rolleyes.gif

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

Apologies to the mods and apologies to yourself but your sarcastic reply was not called for.......was it. I have been to Bidds and Lifeline and other Rare do's, and i never even mentioned them at the time in any sort of way, it just so happens they are not my liking, along with the whole elitist rare soul scene that is played today. I remember when the whole scene was a rare soul scene and not split and divided as it is today. I am your out and out top 500 as its called biggest fan, its what floats my boat.

Apology accepted.

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Although my little night might qualify as 'a tin-pot soul night' lol as someone described above, we have already operated a guest club policy and have had the Boogaloo, Kent Soul Club, Blueskies and 81 Soul Club's as guest clubs at our night - which works quite well every now and then.

Ady will also do reduced entry to the 100club for anyone travelling on from our place on the odd occasion we have clashed, which is a pretty cool guesture as most would travel on without the reduction.

All clubs are welcome to send us or put out fliers and we do try to give London events a mention on our facebook page and e-mails.

We also run trips to other clubs on occasion from our place which can be a laugh, so I would say clubs can co-operate/support each other without any hassle - could easily be transfered onto the 'bigger stage' of the allnighter, I am sure.

Dave

Maybe north of Watford could learn something ,as it appears on here, that its Oop North that suffers with more clashes and arguments.

Social source share

Maybe north of Watford could learn something ,as it appears on here, that its Oop North that suffers with more clashes and arguments.

thats because we speak our minds and dont hide behind soft southern shandy swillin falseness and bitch behind peoples backs:hatsoff2:

Social source share

thats because we speak our minds and dont hide behind soft southern shandy swillin falseness and bitch behind peoples backs:hatsoff2:

:hatsoff2: ,OR it could be they really do try not to clash.Have you got anyone in mind Barney?.

btw there is no actual border between North and South.Its just a figure of speech.:lol:

Social source share

WOW!....four pages of threads....this is a hot potato isnt it? or should i say...CAKE because there appears to be a lot of it flying about. i seem to recall a certain french madame by the name of antoinette having a lot to say about cake....SHE GOT THE CHOP!!....VIVE LA REVOLUTION!!. :thumbup::lol::thumbsup::hatsoff2:

Social source share

:lol: ,OR it could be they really do try not to clash.Have you got anyone in mind Barney?.

btw there is no actual border between North and South.Its just a figure of speech.:thumbsup:

its a nothern thing kev,there are so many events round my way that they are bound to clash , but people want their time in the sun ,

events /venues come and go but by and large we ie the punters just get on with it ,

friendship and loyalty used to be a big thing in our scene but nowadays there,s money to be made even if its only 15 or 20 quid for dj,ng which goes towards financing your night out and times are hard :yes:

a lot of us on here have been there ,seen it heard it and now in our dotage just want the quiet life and to be able to go out and have a good night without the travel bit and the dodgy venues bit and am afraid we have become set in our ways . such is life,

thankfully there are still people in the scene who are willing to go places, hear new sounds and offer them up for our enjoyment, and long may it continue ,

KTF b

Social source share

The North will always engage competition. Sad to say but pre and post Soulboy the movie(Aug 27) there will be even more. Tin hats at the ready.

In the last 3 weeks, we have had around 4 calls asking if 'we can help get a new night started'. We politely declined.

Still, there's always the Phil1y's of this world, apologizing for clashing with various promoters(us included) then organises a major Soul night on March 5th, 2011 to clash with the Kings Hall. Not really worried about the clash, but then attempts to book DJs who are exclusive to us on that night.

Yep, we are a bit protective over DJs when a lot of work goes into a nighter. I'm sure Lifeline would feel the same.

The very same guy came to our events in Whitby and Stoke recently to approach DJs to work for him, without giving dates to the said DJs.

Forget Goldsoul as any competition, look out for Soul Over Easy.......Sweeping into a town near you Soon!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Yep, we are a bit protective over DJs when a lot of work goes into a nighter. I'm sure Lifeline would feel the same.

Lifeline would like the DJ's there as early as possible, 9pm preferably when we start. I can't really speak for Andy who sorts the DJ's but I doubt he wouldn't take kindly to any DJ booked at Lifeline to DJ at another allnighter the same night.

Any DJ with anything about him shouldn't take two bookings the same night, he (or she) should be fully committed to just one venue, especially as most all-nighters start around 9pm.

Social source share

Lifeline would like the DJ's there as early as possible, 9pm preferably when we start. I can't really speak for Andy who sorts the DJ's but I doubt he wouldn't take kindly to any DJ booked at Lifeline to DJ at another allnighter the same night.

Any DJ with anything about him shouldn't take two bookings the same night, he (or she) should be fully committed to just one venue, especially as most all-nighters start around 9pm.

an admirable stance chalky

dont think things will change though some big name dj,s regularly do more than one venue per night

Social source share

I was asked through a third party to dj at the Chesterfield do and accepted, with all the coments on here i wish i hadnt now but will honour the booking , if it had clashed with any venue i regularly attend or especially dj at i would have refused it. certainly would have turned it down if Rugby had been on. will have to start checking next years dates now hope some are already there :thumbsup:

Hi Ted

I know how you feel Ted,,, i was asked to DJ at Derby and Acceptetd the booking!!

I have followd the thread since and i have now pulled out of the event!

I apologise to ALL promotorrs ... i fully admt i did not realise the sesitivity!

I hope Phill can see this probably isnt the right time to add to the pressure of promoting a scene all niter!

Like most of us on on here i do this for enjoyment not hassle

Respect

Nige B

Social source share

The North will always engage competition. Sad to say but pre and post Soulboy the movie(Aug 27) there will be even more. Tin hats at the ready.

In the last 3 weeks, we have had around 4 calls asking if 'we can help get a new night started'. We politely declined.

Still, there's always the Phil1y's of this world, apologizing for clashing with various promoters(us included) then organises a major Soul night on March 5th, 2011 to clash with the Kings Hall. Not really worried about the clash, but then attempts to book DJs who are exclusive to us on that night.

The very same guy came to our events in Whitby and Stoke recently to approach DJs to work for him, without giving dates to the said DJs.

Forget Goldsoul as any competition, look out for Soul Over Easy.......Sweeping into a town near you Soon!

Not the first to do this kind of thing and not the last i guess... Its always gone on....

It must look so foolish to people looking on....

So Kev.... Soul over easy is the devil now i take it :thumbsup:

Yes it looks like plenty more fun and games, lets just hope they aint all on here... Its a forum for fun and the games can get a little boring...

Social source share

Hi Philly,

Sorry for booting your name.

I live in a town called Spennymoor, have lived here for just over ten years, I originate and lived in Matlock Derbyshire before this.

Yes all you say is correct and with Barrow and Chesterfield I am working with promoters of other events in these areas and discussed dates before proceeding.

Cheers

Phil

HI Phil

Well that interesting no one called me and I run Pilsley which is only a couple of miles from Chesterfield, and your night in October clashes with ours it's not as though we are a new venue, have been going for over 8 years.

Its up you what you do but to say your working with other promoters is not quite the case.

Barry

Social source share

I am sure Phil will come back and answer these questions, i am sure i would if wanting to promote large scale events, its not easy with all on side and it looks like Phil is off a couple of xmas card lists now...

This thread will never stop the fighting i guess but could help avert world war 3 :thumbsup:

Time for zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

go easy folk....

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Always happy to reply and put forward the truth of the situation.

I don't have a major Soul Night on the 5th March and I wouldn't even consider contacting DJ's over 7 months in advance for a potential soul night in Barrow.

You are well aware because I have replied to your aggressive threatening emails saying that out of respect for you I wouldn't use DJ's that are working for you on any particular night.

I did attend the Whitby weekender purely for enjoyment and didn't speak to ANY DJ's about any future bookings, did ask a couple for requests to be played.

Saying I approached DJ's to work for me at Whitby and Stoke is ridiculous, prior to Stoke I contacted two Dj's by PM on this forum, obviously with the date included, both came back happy to do a spot at Derby and said if you are at Stoke at the weekend come and say hello, which I did. ( I can obviously post these up on here for all to see, but why it's embarrassing and defeats the object of a PM )

Last night I received another very aggressive email from Kev saying I must cancel these DJ's, which is bizarre because I checked this date with you for potential clashes and you had none.

I believe in giving everyone respect, not sure Kev deserves any.

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Always happy to reply and put forward the truth of the situation.

I don't have a major Soul Night on the 5th March and I wouldn't even consider contacting DJ's over 7 months in advance for a potential soul night in Barrow.

You are well aware because I have replied to your aggressive threatening emails saying that out of respect for you I wouldn't use DJ's that are working for you on any particular night.

I did attend the Whitby weekender purely for enjoyment and didn't speak to ANY DJ's about any future bookings, did ask a couple for requests to be played.

Saying I approached DJ's to work for me at Whitby and Stoke is ridiculous, prior to Stoke I contacted two Dj's by PM on this forum, obviously with the date included, both came back happy to do a spot at Derby and said if you are at Stoke at the weekend come and say hello, which I did. ( I can obviously post these up on here for all to see, but why it's embarrassing and defeats the object of a PM )

Last night I received another very aggressive email from Kev saying I must cancel these DJ's, which is bizarre because I checked this date with you for potential clashes and you had none.

I believe in giving everyone respect, not sure Kev deserves any.

Cheers

Phil

As i said a right to reply Phil... And with respect too, thanks for that...

Its a topic of interest to many...... Let the agressive emails stay as emails....I am sure a ffew curtain twitchers would like to know what they say but maybe not for consumption on here...

Social source share

Fascinating thread and a real inside to the sexy world of DJing, I think Little Stevie's quote "This thread will never stop the fighting i guess but could help avert world war 3" was mega! Wish I'd said that!!

Do many Allnighter DJ's get poached?

What makes a DJ stay at a venue or with a certain promoter?

Is their any loyalty?

Is it for the music or are they kinda like footballers who's can be bought and sold or transferred?

Why does a promoter want certain DJ's?

Is it just about what they have in their box or are we to believe there is political wrangling?

Social source share

Its a topic of interest to many...... Let the agressive emails stay as emails....I am sure a ffew curtain twitchers would like to know what they say but maybe not for consumption on here...

I sussed Phil Armstrong out long ago and have watched his carefully constructed 'I'm a nice guy honest' routine.

Yes he has a firm email from Goldsoul....with good cause.

Especially after visiting my partner at the King Georges Hall, Blackburn, approaching several contacts at our Whitby and Stoke events with offers of work that do not exist. In fact he even admitted it last night in a mailing to us, stating he will see how the first ones go .

He's also strategically roped in partners for the more difficult areas he would have been accepted in. Nice one PA, well thought out.

The postings do not lie and nor do our feelings.

First Rugby clashes( amazed they are so relaxed) then speaking to most DJs that we engage regularly at our own events, offering them work without giving them dates in some cases.

Any promoter with half a brain can see where this guy is at.

Even Barry who has run a Chesterfield event for 8 years now has a competitor on the same night.

This is the same evening(Oct 2nd) Armstrong attempted to book DJs who are booked exclusively at the Stoke All Nighter.

His web site is misleading, adding March 5, 2011 to his Barrow date with DJs who again are booked at Stoke the same night.

No doubt he'll be pm'ing as many as possible to generate support, but as a fellow promoter I can read him like a book.

Soulovereasy have every night to promote, but following discussions with several DJs who work for us regularly, I have drawn my own conclusion....and after 38 years on the scene I feel I have made the right decision in tackling Phil Armstrong. He's in business with Northern Soul and so are we.

My advice to fellow promoters large and small, tighten up your game and quick. This used to be friendly!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Fascinating thread and a real inside to the sexy world of DJing, I think Little Stevie's quote "This thread will never stop the fighting i guess but could help avert world war 3" was mega! Wish I'd said that!!

Do many Allnighter DJ's get poached?

What makes a DJ stay at a venue or with a certain promoter?

Is their any loyalty?

Is it for the music or are they kinda like footballers who's can be bought and sold or transferred?

Why does a promoter want certain DJ's?

Is it just about what they have in their box or are we to believe there is political wrangling?

They sing that old classic song by that bloke wwith a cupboard full of video's .... " do you wanna be in my gang, my gang my gang"....

Well the answers is a big no from many of us......

Social source share

Stevie....I can assure you and fellow members there have been no threats from us.

A firm email asking him to refrain from booking DJ's who have agreed to work for us on the same night..yes!

Remember where you heard this first......watch him start cosying up to Brid promoters as his next move :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Stevie....I can assure you and fellow members there have been no threats from us.

A firm email asking him to refrain from booking DJ's who have agreed to work for us on the same night..yes!

Remember where you heard this first......watch him start cosying up to Brid promoters as his next move :hatsoff2:

Well well wondered how long it would take for you to drag brid into it... we cosy up to nobody.. we dont threaten people either with Pms or emails . go shake your head ffs.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI Phil

Well that interesting no one called me and I run Pilsley which is only a couple of miles from Chesterfield, and your night in October clashes with ours it's not as though we are a new venue, have been going for over 8 years.

Its up you what you do but to say your working with other promoters is not quite the case.

Barry

Barry - you never consulted us (Attic) when you changed dates to clash with us.Music policy and different crowd was cited ,plus you felt you were clashing with similar venues.We'd been going 2/3 years then.

Its all water under the bridge Barry now as you know,but you can 't come on here talking of clashes.Being the "nice guys" at the Attic has done us no favors.

We've supported you in the past ,and myself recently(see you on the 7th for Moldie),but support locally for us is non-exsistent,and i don't mean just you.

This area is everyman for himself.You've put on other venues to clash with us in Mansfield,and we've said nothing.

Out in the open? Why not?.One thing's for sure though,its all laughable.

Social source share

talking of clashes ive just had a thought....why dont the promoters come together and use their residents to have a REAL clash...reggae soundsystem styleee....one room...two systems (to avoid any confusion with whos playing at any time) ...and whoever keeps the floor busiest wins...the loser packs in his nite...a bit tongue in cheek and would never happen but would be interesting to see who had the bottle to do it !!:hatsoff2:

dean

Social source share

talking of clashes ive just had a thought....why dont the promoters come together and use their residents to have a REAL clash...reggae soundsystem styleee....one room...two systems (to avoid any confusion with whos playing at any time) ...and whoever keeps the floor busiest wins...the loser packs in his nite...a bit tongue in cheek and would never happen but would be interesting to see who had the bottle to do it !!:)

dean

laugh.gif ,mentioned that to someone at Rugby,wheels of steel on wheels.... now where's Jah Tubby's number.....:hatsoff2:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

talking of clashes ive just had a thought....why dont the promoters come together and use their residents to have a REAL clash...reggae soundsystem styleee....one room...two systems (to avoid any confusion with whos playing at any time) ...and whoever keeps the floor busiest wins...the loser packs in his nite...a bit tongue in cheek and would never happen but would be interesting to see who had the bottle to do it !!:D

dean

Brilliant idea but fear it would never happen due to usual reasons, my venue, no my venue & my DJ's, no my venue, DJ's & my date etc.

Think the best way to settle all this would be like they did in the good old days - A good old bare knuckle dust up in a pub car park.

You could have Kev Roberts & his crew in one corner. The ECSC Bridlington boys in another. The Prestatyn team in another & the new kid on the block Philly thrown in to make it interesting.

Maybe get Mike to referee it as he's the head man on here & all those involved use his site to promote their events for free.

Could even run a book on it to make a few bob for chariddee on the side.

Now that's something I'd pay good money to see but who would win.....

Social source share

Didn't Neil Rushton do this in the seventies in a way at the Ritz..........Blackpool Mecca versus Wigan.The Ritz must have been neutral territory.Wasnt it Sam playing stompers and Levine come on with Jaws and the same dancers stayed on the floor!!..Maybe Jaws should be played again as theres plenty sharks out there.I had all this rubbish with the Rocket but that was more to do with a battle of music styles and the supposed London scene not wanting oldies and to keep it on a more r&b mod tip.As Jerry Butler said Only The Strong Survive.If you want to do battle and meet people head on then you can't expect Queensberry Rules.....38 years in the promoting game..mmmm

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Any chance of moderating not inciting?

Was having a bit of fun Kev, you know humor???

Thought all the folks mentioned (including you) would have seen it the same way.

Anyway if you have got a problem with my moderating go through the correct channels & report it rather than commenting on it on the thread. You have been told before.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert