Record Of The Decade......so Far

Guest uroffal

Jackson Brothers played by Keb 1985 as Rufus Lumley "Someone Told Me" at Stafford and elsewhere. whistling.gif

link

Tony - wasn't this originally a Dean Anderson spin (before Keb)?

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest uroffal

It most certainly was

whistling.gif

He was also playing Shirley Edwards on Shrine around the same time C/U as Rita & Tiaras

link

Yes, remember Shirley Edwards covered as Rita & Tiaras (in fact I think I still have it on tape somewhere listed as that!

Social source share

Wasn't Jackson Bros on a Kent compilation LP in the 80s?  That New York one.

link

Jackson Bros was played at Stafford as a cover-up.

Derek

Social source share

No idea when it was discovered or first played, but

the best new 'northern sound' I've heard so far this decade

is without doubt Locations "Mr.Diamond Man". Very, very

soulful IMO. Not really sure how 'well known' this is among

the average soul fan, but I've heard both Andy Dyson

and Kitch playing it.

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

I'll have to put a disclaimer on here for Soul Doctor Chalky biggrin.gif   I am not certain that this sound was broken post Y2K.

link

Brilliant. Need more of this. No longer interested in what decade it was broken in.

Col yes.gif

Leave post open over week-end. Then get poll rolling.

Social source share

Guest remus

Has to be Bobby Rich on Sambea

for me..a  mid 90,s find

or am I wrong??as usual.

the gasher

link

Ordinary girl?

Old time lover?

Cindy Scott?

Social source share

Guest remus

I'll have to put a disclaimer on here for Soul Doctor Chalky biggrin.gif   I am not certain that this sound was broken post Y2K.

link

:thumbsup: playing this whilst looking at your avitar!, f***ing ace mate yes.gif

Social source share

the best Northern Soul record IMO but again '86/'87  yes.gif

link

That, Barons, Pyramid, Deon Jackson all 10 out of 10 in my book biggrin.gif

No longer interested in what decade it was broken in.

Col :thumbsup:

Leave post open over week-end. Then get poll rolling.

link

Social source share

OK lads we'll leave the best until last

PATRINELL STATEN - LITTLE LOVE AFFAIR

No contest

Nick

link

Agree - a great SOUL record & an amazing discovery.

Wish I had a copy - ah, well... dream on :)

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

to think some one paid over 2k for it, me thinks the funny farm awaits :)

link

Compared to what people paid for MOR rubbish like your avatar J.D.Bryant -

I would say this is a bargain :yes:

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

Guest remus

to think some one paid over 2k for it, me thinks the funny farm awaits :)

link

When you think some people are prepared to pay £1200 for Timeless legend then £2000 is a snip for Statten!

Social source share

When you think some people are prepared to pay £1200 for Timeless legend then £2000 is a snip for Statten!

link

I know Patrinel Staten has gone for more, summat like twice that figure. Very rare record......good record but not right up there with the best IMO.

Social source share

ah but ted she's black you're not gonna like it !!!! the flip bloody good too if not better.... hope you're well ted...

link

hi andy you taking my soulfulness into question she could be yellow with pink spots but its still one of the most overated discoveries. i known you fo a long time and never thougth your taste was bad but..... :)

flip could not be any worse

Social source share

And, at the time, Joey Delorenzo split the scene right down the middle. Love it or hate it, everyone had an opinion. Which in my book makes it worth at least a mention.

I love it BTW :D

link

You can mention it as many times as you like.

I hate it with a vengence.

Its never getting in

:(

Col.

That book, some sort of horror story?

Social source share

Patrinell Staten is a weak record IMO, mainly because she 'sings' very poorly, I always very quickly press the skip button when it comes on on CD, it does have some atmospheric qualities when you hear it out loud though. All black people obviously can't sing well, there are countless crap soul records by black artists, indeed I presume that most soul records ever made are bad records, just as most records in all other genres. JD Bryant is bombastic MOR BS IMO, a poor record, like many on Shrine. I like the Locations, a nice lo fi group soul record, but I don't really think of it as northern personally.

Social source share

Patrinell Staten is a weak record IMO, mainly because she 'sings' very poorly, I always very quickly press the skip button when it comes on on CD, it does have some atmospheric qualities when you hear it out loud though. All black people obviously can't sing well, there are countless crap soul records by black artists, indeed I presume that most soul records ever made are bad records, just as most records in all other genres. JD Bryant is bombastic MOR BS IMO, a poor record, like many on Shrine. I like the Locations, a nice lo fi group soul record, but I don't really think of it as northern personally.

link

You don't like white "soul" records, most black soul records are shite....are you on the right scene :D:D:D

Agree Locations is great as is the deep flip :wicked: JD Bryant one of my all time faves too :wicked:

Social source share

link

Christian,

You missed the smiley off again :wicked::wicked::D

Social source share

I thought smileys were for joking and such? I was not joking, I mean every word of what I wrote. Here is one anyway if it makes you all feel better. :wicked:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

You don't like white "soul" records, most black soul records are shite....are you on the right scene :wicked::D:wicked:

Believe me, I have asked myself that question many times. :D Of course most black records ever made are shite, how could they not be? Most records ever made in all genres are shit. The whole idea of rare soul is to look for records which are rare "not only in quantity, but also in quality" as someone put it. I don't mind if a record is common as dirt on the ground, as long as it is "rare in quality". Think about it, just how many of ALL black american soul, R&B, etc. records made between say 1960 and 1980 are REALLY GOOD? 25%? 10%? 5%?Or less? My bet is "less".

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Agree Locations is great as is the deep flip  :wicked:

link

I've only ever heard the flip one time on the telephone. Don't

really remember it as a 'deep soul' record though, but it was some

time ago. Would love to hear it again; can anyone supply a RA-sample?

Northern or not - Mr. Diamond Man is a killer soul record IMO.

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

I've only ever heard the flip one time on the telephone. Don't

really remember it as a 'deep soul' record though, but it was some

time ago. Would love to hear it again; can anyone supply a RA-sample?

Northern or not - Mr. Diamond Man is a killer soul record IMO.

Cheers,

Christian B

link

deep maybe not the right word. anyway check your PM's :wicked:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You can mention it as many times as you like.

I hate it with a vengence.

Its never getting in

:lol:

Col.

That book, some sort of horror story?

link

Records that have such an impact, like them or loath them, at least get people talking about the music.

I can remember the letters pages in Blues and Soul being extended so the Northern Soul fans could fight over Ladies Choice. Should it or shouldnt it be played. Not the best record, but at the time by far the most talked about.

Same with Joey D. Not the best, but it got the dancers dancing, the chin strokers stroking, and the anti white fascists were apoplectic.

It was anoraks at dawn, I'll hold your button badge...the pins can be dangerous.

Social source share

Records that have such an impact, like them or loath them, at least get people talking about the music.

I can remember the letters pages in Blues and Soul being extended so the Northern Soul fans could fight over Ladies Choice. Should it or shouldnt it be played. Not the best record, but at the time by far the most talked about.

Same with Joey D. Not the best, but it got the dancers dancing, the chin strokers stroking, and the anti white fascists were apoplectic.

It was anoraks at dawn, I'll hold your button badge...the pins can be dangerous.

link

:lol::D:(

:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert