How Much Gospel Will The Northern Crowd Accept?

2 big favs of mine are the tolbert family and sons of kingdom- great stuff.

Try these two gospel stormers

The Tolbert Family Singers -Ride The Gospel Train

Son's of the Kingdom - Modernization

Plus modern monster- Kirk Franklin - Looking For You

THE MODERN ROOM

MOORLANDS CLUB

CURZON ST

LONG EATON

NOTTS

NG10 4FG

2 mins J 25 M1

8am - 1pm £4.00 O.T.D

PLAYING 70;s -Crossover - Modern - Soulful House - All Things Soulful

Fri July 16th - Dave Lucas - Denmac - Kev Murray - Nige Keen

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Alicia Myers "I Want To Thank You"

One of my all time favourites.

I also love Ann Nesby "You Are My Everything".

Loads of great soulful gospel tunes out there from the last ten years too. Israel & The New Breed "Real" and Norman Hutchins "I Really Love You" springs immediately to mind:thumbsup:

Social source share

Sure there was a tune played at Wigan by Andre Crouch and The Disciples......not got a clue what it was called though......But aren't The Sounds Of Blackness One of the best bands ever?? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

we are the christian people think i still have a copy, used to love it.

mark

Social source share

Here`s a few more,these are more for the modern scene then Northern but still great records:

The power of your love-Spirit of love .

i know he`s watching-Phil Brown + Gods Earth with love.

You`re the one-Donn Thomas.

On the gospel house tip:

I shall not be moved(stand still)-Kenny Bobien Extended mix.

It`s not over-Duron Tarik.Feat:Children Speak.

duron tarik featuring children speak - not over - vocal -

Will try and find soundclips later..

Edited by Hammersoul
Social source share

ah lovely would love the sounclips!!

BAZ A

Here`s a few more,these are more for the modern scene then Northern but still great records:

The power of your love-Spirit of love .

i know he`s watching-Phil Brown + Gods Earth with love.

You`re the one-Donn Thomas.

On the gospel house tip:

I shall not be moved(stand still)-Kenny Bobien Extended mix.

It`s not over-Duron Tarik.Feat:Children Speak.

Will try and find soundclips later..

Social source share

Very nice version, and if you flip it over, a splendid beat ballad cut too....great 45.

I've introduced quite a few gospel 45's into my sets over the last few years, including Charlie Brown on Checker, Sensational Five Singing Sons on Church Door, Christian Harmonizers on Hummingbird, Stars of Virginia on SRC, Sacred Four on Champ, Cleveland Golden Echoes on Bounty, Master Keys on Co-op and suchlike.

Plus there's some great deep soul moments, if you're prepared to put the work in to weed it out........gospel output was simply vast!

Master Keys....now that is one hell of a record and if anyone has one they'd like to sell me then get in touch :thumbsup:

Loads of good northern/funk sounding gospel and like all genres of black music the northern scene will accept an unlimited amount as long as the quality is good enough. Well, parts of the scene will accept them whilst others scream about how they were never played at Wigan so why play them now :thumbsup:. One I've heard out a few times recently is the Salem Travellers - Give Me Liberty Or Death, good cheap dancer that's worth picking up.

Social source share

For me personally The Joubert Singers 'Stand on the Word' takes a lot of beating.

I was djing several weeks ago and a girl requested the song.

Needless to say after carrying the tune for at least a year I had milked my box and could not play her request.

There were approx. 20 girls in the club from The Glasgow Gospel Choir on a hen night and they are singing the song at The Wickerman Festival next weekend.

Talk about an opportunity missed., a gospel choir singing along while you dj to your favourits gospel track !

Nick.

Social source share

On a Gospel House Tip Try This

Dawn Tallman - You Are Why (Ron Carrolls BMC Vocal)

Best Mix- BRILLIANT

THE MODERN ROOM

MOORLANDS CLUB

CURZON ST

LONG EATON

NOTTS

NG10 4FG

2 mins J25 M1

8pm - 1am £4 O.T.D

PLAYING 70's - CROSSOVER - MODERN - SOULFUL HOUSE - ALL THINGS SOULFUL

Friday 16th July - Dave Lucas - Denmac - Kev Murray - Nige Keen

Social source share

ah great story.

For me personally The Joubert Singers 'Stand on the Word' takes a lot of beating.

I was djing several weeks ago and a girl requested the song.

Needless to say after carrying the tune for at least a year I had milked my box and could not play her request.

There were approx. 20 girls in the club from The Glasgow Gospel Choir on a hen night and they are singing the song at The Wickerman Festival next weekend.

Talk about an opportunity missed., a gospel choir singing along while you dj to your favourits gospel track !

Nick.

Social source share

wasn't the robert banks torch classic 'mighty good way' gospel?

yes it was, brill vocal. , and still is ...............and what about ..............THE GOSPEL PEARLS ON LIBERTY e.p AND lp.LOTS OF GREAT UP TEMPO TRACKS ON BOTH.............ALSO.........WADE IN THE WATER.!!!!........MY FAV VERSION IS BY ANGELIC CHOIR ON SAVOY...........GOT ONE FOR SALE :thumbsup: ..........its just brill. ;)EZZIE

Social source share

A couple I play out often are:

Messiahs Of Glory - I Want To Thank You - Sky Hero

Soul Stirrers - Trying To Be Your Friend - Jewel

Inspirational stuff!

:lol:

Sean

I can remember you first championing this record Sean ....... many years ago , when you were still doing your paper round , and I was still a young man :lol:

Hope you are well old friend :lol: .

Malc

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Aint been to church for a long time except for weedings and funerals might get me going again:lol:

gospel and gardening, food for the soul indeed , Sorry l,but joking aside, i love hearing mahalia jackson, sister rose,cissie houston,i dont know how it would fit into a northern nite except as a reminder to get my ass to church as the niter finishes and confess my sins to the allmighty.,( assumin keb darge was attending.)What kind of response were you expecting? My main thought is i guess people dont equate a disco with songs of praise.With the exception of camille yarborughand the fatboy of course

Edited by whatsthiscalled
Social source share

Guest aintgotit

this one is a cracker

Watts Community Choir - Keep On Keeping On

Shows what the f*** i know about gospel. . good post

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i never go to church unless needed. I wouldn't know about these Gospel records to me i know of Al Green, Sam Cooke and Aretha Franklin doing Gospel. Not sure if i would want to hear any out. maybe the odd one in a night.

too many styles get in and all i want mostly is a lot of Northern soul which is Northern soul of the 60's and 70's

Social source share

Nice track Kev,but IMHO not a patch on Could Heaven Be Like This........could someone please post that up? :P

Pleasure to oblige ...... plus an added bonus from the same album .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EStIjUWVf1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl3cton-Tbo

A bit of Idris Muhammad trivia for you Phil : at 15 years-old , one of his earliest recording sessions was as a drummer on Fats Domino's " Blueberry Hill " .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

been some great stuff posted folks -wants list has blossomed-forgot how good idris was-pulled the lp out yesterday -awesome stuff-keep em coming folks and all them top top recommendations!!

BAZ A

"

people who are following this thread may be interested in" The Gospel at Colonus, on at the Edinbrugh Festival 21st to 23rd August. Blind Boys of Alabama and Soul Stirrers curent line ups part of the show

Will be going up from ,Manchester to catch this. Check it out on You tube

Social source share

would love to see these 2 -thanks for this mate!!

BAZ A

"

people who are following this thread may be interested in" The Gospel at Colonus, on at the Edinbrugh Festival 21st to 23rd August. Blind Boys of Alabama and Soul Stirrers curent line ups part of the show

Will be going up from ,Manchester to catch this. Check it out on You tube

Social source share

THANKS MATE WELL WORTH THE WAIT!!!

BAZ A

would love a soundclip of this!!

BAZ A

Was it "(We Are) Christian People" by Andre Crouch & the Disciples on Liberty 7".

Think Ian Levine raved about it in one of his columns in Black Music in the mid 70's, saying it was a Mecca spin ....

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Gospel i love it, soul sung with a meaning and purpose, will it ever be accepted by the Northern Crowd, i personally dont think the majority of the Northern scene give a shit what genre of music they are dancing to as long as it has the right feel and beat,

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Me, please!!

Got a few i play out when i DJ - stuff like the Swansilvertones ...Try Mine; which i got a while back and given some DJ action. just got another which i have covered up...and funniuly enough i said to someone thgat Baz while probably know who it is LOL

very good it is to Dave very good :thumbsup:

Social source share

What about this Gospel stormer not to be confused with the Vandellas song...did get GuyH behind it during the mid-80's, but has seemingly slipped back into obscurity...the record not GuyH I hasten to add! (I also happen to have a mint- spare copy, if anyone wants to reactivate it?!)

:hatsoff2:

In the playbox over here, Flynny......v. nice cut.

Social source share

recently bought a kindly shepherds from someone on here, just love swan silvertones, also that "trying to make a hundred" record is ace,and lets not forget the brilliant gospel funk of "the relatives" album,i think theres a place for gospel in this scene and as the northern sounds become harder to discover people are or will delve into different musicall styles to keep things moving,we will soon be looking into things like rockabilly and uptempo blues and nicking whatever fits into our scene,bring it on i say,great thread baz

jason

' trying to make a hundred'..i have a gospel 45 with that line in it...is it played out

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert