How Much Gospel Will The Northern Crowd Accept?

just done a little rekki in the vaults and it really got me thinking about the gospel records that have broke through to some of the more upfront northern rooms -ie holy disciples etc-dug a few out and done a little combo [not all the track]of some which really blow me away.

Question is now the new more emancipated soulie is looking at this will we all become born again and focus on the music not the back biting lol[praise the lord]!!Seriously waht are peoples views on some of the gospel treasures out there and is there a place -there is in my record room over 500 now and counting -what do you think folks??

the five tracks are shirley caesar-fab violinaires-brooklyn allstars-and 2 others by the violinaiers!!seen a few on playlists on here folks so whats your views??

BAZ A

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Me, please!!

Got a few i play out when i DJ - stuff like the Swansilvertones ...Try Mine; which i got a while back and given some DJ action. just got another which i have covered up...and funniuly enough i said to someone thgat Baz while probably know who it is LOL

Social source share

HELLO DAVE WASNT THE TRACK EZZIE HAD WAS IT WHICH IS BLOODY MINDBLOWING IF SO YES LOL-HOPE YOUR WELL MATE!

BAZ A

Me, please!!

Got a few i play out when i DJ - stuff like the Swansilvertones ...Try Mine; which i got a while back and given some DJ action. just got another which i have covered up...and funniuly enough i said to someone thgat Baz while probably know who it is LOL

Social source share

WHATS THE REV GO NOW FOR SWIFTY GOT ONE SOMEWHERE I THINK UNLESS IVE FLOGGED IT LOL-JUST PULLED A CRACKER OUT BY SCI YOUTH CHOIR -ON ABC -HAVING SOME FUN HERELIKE ONLY A SAD ANORAK CAN LOL!!

BAZ A

Agree Baz , some class dancers , although I don't know many but a couple I Like are

The Rev. Donnie Hardiman

Stovall Sisters

absolute class imho

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

HELLO DAVE WASNT THE TRACK EZZIE HAD WAS IT WHICH IS BLOODY MINDBLOWING IF SO YES LOL-HOPE YOUR WELL MATE!

BAZ A

i am well Baz; hope you are good. No idea what Ezzie had and 'no' it's not the same, mine is excellent IMO, but unfortunately not mindblowing!!

mine is Al Green "A Long Time Ago" that's the cover-up name..do you know it :thumbsup:

Social source share

WHATS THE REV GO NOW FOR SWIFTY GOT ONE SOMEWHERE I THINK UNLESS IVE FLOGGED IT LOL-JUST PULLED A CRACKER OUT BY SCI YOUTH CHOIR -ON ABC -HAVING SOME FUN HERELIKE ONLY A SAD ANORAK CAN LOL!!

BAZ A

Agree Baz , some class dancers , although I don't know many but a couple I Like are

The Rev. Donnie Hardiman

Stovall Sisters

absolute class imho

Baz , it's in JM's guide at a 100 quid but I couldn't get 50 for mine lol but a cracking 70's sound don't you think ?

Cheers

Social source share

yes i love it mate -just trying to remember where i got mine -sure it was a soul pack from either anglo or soul bowl -just a great record !!

Baz , it's in JM's guide at a 100 quid but I couldn't get 50 for mine lol but a cracking 70's sound don't you think ?

Cheers

Social source share

Guest jerrio

just done a little rekki in the vaults and it really got me thinking about the gospel records that have broke through to some of the more upfront northern rooms -ie holy disciples etc-dug a few out and done a little combo [not all the track]of some which really blow me away.

Question is now the new more emancipated soulie is looking at this will we all become born again and focus on the music not the back biting lol[praise the lord]!!Seriously waht are peoples views on some of the gospel treasures out there and is there a place -there is in my record room over 500 now and counting -what do you think folks??

the five tracks are shirley caesar-fab violinaires-brooklyn allstars-and 2 others by the violinaiers!!seen a few on playlists on here folks so whats your views??

BAZ A

HIYA BAZ, MY FAVE, MIGHTY HIGH.- THE MIGHTY CLOUDS OF JOY.

REGARDS.WRIGHTY.

Social source share

Who's Ann Nesby? :thumbsup:

Not heard "in the spirit" Webby, top tune have the US 12" somewhere biggrin.gif

ann nesby - in the spirit -

Seen her at Southport weekender yonk's ago rolleyes.gif

Social source share

BAZ A

Some great tunes there Baz mate

This one's not too bad I think

Manus

whitney jones - he'll be with you -

Edited by manus
Social source share

Guest rosies dad

how bout The Dixie Nightingales "keep on trying" and "i dont know" ? Its Ollie and The Nightingales before they went secular ! Honest. Maybe wouldnt get a northern crowd going but what a double sider! Some real deal stuff. jacob

Social source share

fantastic Jacob -Ollies stuff deffo had the gospel feel!!

BAZ A

how bout The Dixie Nightingales "keep on trying" and "i dont know" ? Its Ollie and The Nightingales before they went secular ! Honest. Maybe wouldnt get a northern crowd going but what a double sider! Some real deal stuff. jacob

Social source share

recently bought a kindly shepherds from someone on here, just love swan silvertones, also that "trying to make a hundred" record is ace,and lets not forget the brilliant gospel funk of "the relatives" album,i think theres a place for gospel in this scene and as the northern sounds become harder to discover people are or will delve into different musicall styles to keep things moving,we will soon be looking into things like rockabilly and uptempo blues and nicking whatever fits into our scene,bring it on i say,great thread baz

jason

Social source share

COULD`NT FIND YOUR CHOICES JACOB .......................BUT THIS DOES IT FOR ME :thumbsup:

Social source share

hi all...............yep that 2 sider is good baz,:thumbsup: r &b one side ,late 60s harmony on tother, blew me away when i found it..............got a couple of great gospel things that you know about as well, its always a close call as to wether there acceptable to a northern crowd.........but if the crowd is open and the production is good , well thats it, :thumbsup: cheers ez,

Social source share

hello mate agree on the close call deffo-hope your well mate!!

BAZ A

hi all...............yep that 2 sider is good baz,:thumbsup: r &b one side ,late 60s harmony on tother, blew me away when i found it..............got a couple of great gospel things that you know about as well, its always a close call as to wether there acceptable to a northern crowd.........but if the crowd is open and the production is good , well thats it, :thumbsup: cheers ez,

Social source share

Its just another genre of Black music that the Rare Soul scene will cherry pick to find the odd thing that will work, its not a religeous or spiritual thing, its about good black dance music...........Swansilvertones is awesome, played on several scenes for a few years now, but is just right for todays funkee NS dancefloors. Bring em on, so long as they have the X factor...........Marco's Tempests c/up is another hoofin gospel belter..............anyone with a copy, dont be shy get in touch.

Always been a massive fan of SOB & Anne Nesby & some of the 'churchy' soulful House, not an expert by any means, but like what I hear.

Praise the Lord !

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Try these two gospel stormers

The Tolbert Family Singers -Ride The Gospel Train

Son's of the Kingdom - Modernization

Plus modern monster- Kirk Franklin - Looking For You

THE MODERN ROOM

MOORLANDS CLUB

CURZON ST

LONG EATON

NOTTS

NG10 4FG

2 mins J 25 M1

8am - 1pm £4.00 O.T.D

PLAYING 70;s -Crossover - Modern - Soulful House - All Things Soulful

Fri July 16th - Dave Lucas - Denmac - Kev Murray - Nige Keen

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Lisa Taylor, "Did You Pray Today?"

Dorothy Morrison, "Rain"

Alicia Myers "I Want To Thank You"

Jessy Dixon "Love Has Lifted Me"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LKKGSlV51A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtXQVK-Bi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IqR9BGnmZc

Also Rod Keith, "Like The Lord Said"; Gospel Classics "More Love.." Staple Singers, "Tripping On Your Love"; Voices of East Harlem come to mind...

Speaking as a heathen, I love a bit of Jesus-bothering dancefloor biz, me!

Social source share

Sure there was a tune played at Wigan by Andre Crouch and The Disciples......not got a clue what it was called though......But aren't The Sounds Of Blackness One of the best bands ever?? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Was it "(We Are) Christian People" by Andre Crouch & the Disciples on Liberty 7".

Think Ian Levine raved about it in one of his columns in Black Music in the mid 70's, saying it was a Mecca spin ....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert