Magic Carpet Ride Gabriella Cilimi

Dean

Heard Gabriella Cilimi do a live 'Magic Carpet Ride' on Radio 2 Sunday whilst driving family around. Didn't know she released this back in March, thank god it didn't get many plays. Just reminded me of some of the popsoul tosh played at nighters (particularly wigan) in the 80s. Struggled with memory but then dawned on me it was Kiki Dee . . . . . . . . . . I remember only too well Magic Carpet Ride (it was Kiki Dee wasn't it) gettin' plays, but don't recall hearing much of the far superior Motown sound-a-like 'I Dig You baby' on World Pacific. Obviously my opinion, but some of the nighter sounds then jeeeeeeesus, compared to some sounds that didn't see much of the decks. Tastes change over the years and perhaps they were better sounding on the floor with lots of clapping to hide the tune.

Mind you, I'll give gabriella being fit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHt38RgWhe8

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest jerrio

Heard Gabriella Cilimi do a live 'Magic Carpet Ride' on Radio 2 Sunday whilst driving family around. Didn't know she released this back in March, thank god it didn't get many plays. Just reminded me of some of the popsoul tosh played at nighters (particularly wigan) in the 80s. Struggled with memory but then dawned on me it was Kiki Dee . . . . . . . . . . I remember only too well Magic Carpet Ride (it was Kiki Dee wasn't it) gettin' plays, but don't recall hearing much of the far superior Motown sound-a-like 'I Dig You baby' on World Pacific. Obviously my opinion, but some of the nighter sounds then jeeeeeeesus, compared to some sounds that didn't see much of the decks. Tastes change over the years and perhaps they were better sounding on the floor with lots of clapping to hide the tune.

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=XHt38RgWhe8

Isnt this from the soulboy soundtrack? Kiki Dee- magic carpet ride was never one of my favourites but I think Gabriella Cilimi has done a fantastic job on it.A very good friend of mine swaped his white demo of Jimmy Mcfarland.- lonely Lover for a copy of Kiki Dee at Wigan.As far as I know he still has it and still loves it.I must ask him his thoughts on Gabriellas version.

Wrighty.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I really like this.

So do I. Andy Lewis did a fantastic job at re-creating an authentic 60s sound with his production, and Ms. Cilmi's vocal is excellent, too.

It came out as the bonus track on her 'On A Mission' CD single (which is awful) and without any attempt to promote it as the next 'Mercy' or as any other kind of soul record - which is fair enough, because it's not soul, just high-quality sunshine pop.

Just like Kiki Dee's version, in fact....

Social source share

Isnt this from the soulboy soundtrack?

It's just played over the closing credits, and thankfully not in one of the live scenes (which would have prompted even more complaints on here about historical inaccuracy of the film).

Alan

Social source share

Guest Simon

So do I. Andy Lewis did a fantastic job at re-creating an authentic 60s sound with his production, and Ms. Cilmi's vocal is excellent, too.

It came out as the bonus track on her 'On A Mission' CD single (which is awful) and without any attempt to promote it as the next 'Mercy' or as any other kind of soul record - which is fair enough, because it's not soul, just high-quality sunshine pop.

Just like Kiki Dee's version, in fact....

I agree Andy's done a decent enough job on it but i really don't see the point of it, just sounds like a modern version of Kiki Dee but not as good & doesn't have the 6ts feel to it, just sounds homogenised to my ears.

Simon

Social source share

What a bag of SH**E, Kiki Dee's was bad enough this is even worse, for one she might be fit as a Butchers dog but she's got a bleeding voice like one as well, thank the Lord I managed to miss most of the Pop drivel that was played towards the latter part of the 70's.:lol: I feel physically ill now!!!!:hatsoff2:

Take care,be safe & remember,"And suddenly my world is filled with sunshine, And suddenly my life is going so fine, I, I use to be such a lonely guy, I cried until you came into my life",

Spot.:unsure:

Edited by spot
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I agree Andy's done a decent enough job on it but i really don't see the point of it, just sounds like a modern version of Kiki Dee but not as good & doesn't have the 6ts feel to it, just sounds homogenised to my ears.

Simon

'The Point Of It' is that it was commissioned to be a part of a film soundtrack. It doesn't mean that Gabriella Cilmi has now decided that she wants to be considered a soul diva. Her version has a perfectly good and highly authentic sixties feel to it, and sounds no more 'homogenised' than Kiki Dee's did.

Both versions are very good pop records, and neither is pretending to be something its not (i.e. soul music).

But you're entitled to you opinion, Simon, just like everyone else is...:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This girl just copies the vocals of any track she covers, she's covered Amy Whinehouse and copied her style and she covered Echo Beach and did it exactly the same. Echo Beach is one of my all time favourite records, it didn't need a cover that was exactly the same. :hatsoff2:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Simon

'The Point Of It' is that it was commissioned to be a part of a film soundtrack. It doesn't mean that Gabriella Cilmi has now decided that she wants to be considered a soul diva. Her version has a perfectly good and highly authentic sixties feel to it, and sounds no more 'homogenised' than Kiki Dee's did.

Both versions are very good pop records, and neither is pretending to be something its not (i.e. soul music).

But you're entitled to you opinion, Simon, just like everyone else is...:hatsoff2:

Why couldn't they use Kiki's version for the film, licensing?

Simon

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Isnt this from the soulboy soundtrack? Kiki Dee- magic carpet ride was never one of my favourites but I think Gabriella Cilimi has done a fantastic job on it.A very good friend of mine swaped his white demo of Jimmy Mcfarland.- lonely Lover for a copy of Kiki Dee at Wigan.As far as I know he still has it and still loves it.I must ask him his thoughts on Gabriellas version.

Wrighty.

Yes,Paul---Ferg does still have it he played it at Catterick Bridge a few years ago.

Best

Tony

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Yes,Paul---Ferg does still have it he played it at Catterick Bridge a few years ago.

Best

Tony

:thumbsup:HIYA TONY, YEAH THOUGHT HE WOULD HAVE,HE REALLY CHAMPIONED IT AT THE TIME. YOU AND YOUR MISSES OKEH.

LOVE TO YOU BOTH. PAUL N PAULA.

Social source share

This girl just copies the vocals of any track she covers, she's covered Amy Whinehouse and copied her style and she covered Echo Beach and did it exactly the same. Echo Beach is one of my all time favourite records, it didn't need a cover that was exactly the same. :hatsoff2:

Toyah did a great version of Echo Beach in the 80's, sounded just like the original...

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Is that Fergy the fireman?? Sorry off topic......i love the version.......and as said before on here Echo Beach is one of the best pop tunes ever made!! :lol::unsure::hatsoff2:

HIYA WEBBY,YES ONE AND THE SAME,HOW YOU DOIN FELLA?

REGARDS.WRIGHTY.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Simon

I have no idea and frankly I don't care, either. I like this version, I like Kiki Dee's version and I really don't give a pig's burp about the soul credentials of either...

To me they are what they are - two very good versions of a very good pop song, made by two very good pop singers.

If Gabriell Cilmi's version had been recorded 45 years ago and released on the same day as Kiki Dee's most people who are trashing it (and her) on here would be w*nk*ng themselves silly over it. It's just flagrant elitism to pretend otherwise...

Social source share

I have no idea and frankly I don't care, either. I like this version, I like Kiki Dee's version and I really don't give a pig's burp about the soul credentials of either...

To me they are what they are - two very good versions of a very good pop song, made by two very good pop singers.

If Gabriell Cilmi's version had been recorded 45 years ago and released on the same day as Kiki Dee's most people who are trashing it (and her) on here would be w*nk*ng themselves silly over it. It's just flagrant elitism to pretend otherwise...

Thats what I was trying to say as well - it's a great song, this is a good version of it, whats not to like about it?

Social source share

Simon

maybe because the other version came out on Soul Function CD with Function at the junction film.... They would want to distance themself from another northern soul film soundtrack i should think....

I like both versions as a pretty nice pop song.... :hatsoff2: good production...

Kiki said in an interview to the producer on the soul function release that Magic Carpet Ride is her fav song....

Social source share

Hope I didn't come across as trashing her. She does it, I just listen, easy to see where the greater effort and skill lies in that relationship. NS is such an odd collection of music over the years. I don't like Magic Carpet Ride (I do prefer Gabriells's version to Kiki Dee's, perhaps that's because I'm not trying to see it as anything other than happy pop). For me its probably simply tainted by association wih a nighter record I never got being played. To reveal my own contradictions there are many more "poppy" records I've enjoyed attempting to dance to over the years and enjoyed, I have a liking these days for 60s punk garage psyke, perhaps because I like those terms in a sentance together. Historically and currently I really like Dry Well (one of Spots favourites :no: ) but it's a job to find the soul in it. What I was doing was pondering the thought of Magic Carpet Ride being picked up by the NS dancefloors (prompted by hearing Gabriella) whilst I Dig You Baby was mostly ignored, which I think is quite a soul sound. Interesting to hear Kiki Dee's MCR well thought of by some people, I can't hear it but at least it shows a healthy diversity across opinions.

Social source share

Guest martyn

:hatsoff2:

Couldnt agree more

Social source share

Guest Simon

Nothing to do with elitism from where i'm coming from Tone, quite simple for me, one is a brilliant 6ts dancer & the other is a wannabe soundalike version that sounds like a modern record trying to be 6ts.

Simon

Social source share

Sorry to veer off topic - but there are some nice shots here of 19-year-old Kiki singing back up for Dusty Springfield in 1966.

Any excuse . . . . . I don't think Dusty ever looked or sounded better!! :face:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdODI4S2Qsg

MB

brilliant footage, and agree thumbsup.gif

ps. a very young looking Madeline Bell on the left too!

back on topic, "Magic Carpet Ride" a proper finished version by Little Anthony would have been the best version for me by far! I know there's an acetate out there of a demo cut by Little Anthony (at least it was thought to be him!)

steve

steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Nothing to do with elitism from where i'm coming from Tone, quite simple for me, one is a brilliant 6ts dancer & the other is a wannabe soundalike version that sounds like a modern record trying to be 6ts.

Simon

Complete and utter twaddle....

Social source share

Guest Simon

Complete and utter twaddle....

Why's that Tone because i don't agree with you, i'm sorry if you think that but it happens to be my opinion rightly or wrongly.

Simon

Social source share

Wrighty.

A good deal methinks, seen jimmy on here for less than 200, but not the english only Kikki Dee

Social source share

Guest jerrio

A good deal methinks, seen jimmy on here for less than 200, but not the english only Kikki Dee

Fair play,I know he was well chuffed with the deal.By the way,what about the version on Destiny Miss Dee Dee,How does that stand up to Gabriellas version? and how many copies did it sell at the time?

Wrighty.

Social source share

Makes me laugh this site, how loads of people slag off the white dance tunes from Wigan, but cream themselves over the white dance tunes that get play on todays scene.

Northern and Soul are two different things, this applies to both white and black artists.

Social source share

Makes me laugh this site, how loads of people slag off the white dance tunes from Wigan, but cream themselves over the white dance tunes that get play on todays scene.

Northern and Soul are two different things, this applies to both white and black artists.

Not slagging off white dance tunes, just don't like Magic Carpet Ride much. As with most discussions it's not metaphorically, or in this case literally, a black and white deal. Nobody has wanted to address the point I was making about (in my opinion) superior sounds like I Dig You Baby not picking up plays. That's ok, happy to provoke discussion. I think Kiki was still white when she cut this :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not slagging off white dance tunes, just don't like Magic Carpet Ride much. As with most discussions it's not metaphorically, or in this case literally, a black and white deal. Nobody has wanted to address the point I was making about (in my opinion) superior sounds like I Dig You Baby not picking up plays. That's ok, happy to provoke discussion. I think Kiki was still white when she cut this :thumbsup:

Check out her great version of "I'll Try Something New"

Social source share

Check out her great version of "I'll Try Something New"

Thanks, will do. Didn't recall hearing this before but having checked it am ashamed that's true, don't htink I hae come across it. Good sound, good shout out.

I Dig You baby youtube link here, some cool dance floor scenes too.

https://www.youtube.c...-NgMxUFUo4&NR=1

Must look at how to attach refosoul!!

Edited by Dean
Social source share

Simon

Can't stand either of them. Said in another topic think Kiki Dee is one of those had to be there records...or a marmite disc, either love it or hate it.

Derek Martin did a version too.

Social source share

Can't stand either of them. Said in another topic think Kiki Dee is one of those had to be there records...or a marmite disc, either love it or hate it.

Derek Martin did a version too.

Think theres an intrumental version with strings and hand claps ,one of the big name jocks is playing covered up ?

Social source share

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=XHt38RgWhe8

If Heard correct, I think it's just about to be played in the next few minutes on THIS MORNING

Social source share

Caught the song on This Morning

I thought it sounded good

Being an old git I liked the KD version and this is as good

Am with Mr Rounce on this one

Never said it was soulful just good music hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!