Bob And Earl - Harlem Shuffle

Picked up a Bob And Earl LP from 1969 on Jayboy...think it came out on B&C or something also... Not rare at all, but a nice LP.

It has a completely different take of Harlem Shuffle, an uptempo belter a of version... Still love the well known version. Just wondered any info on the alternate take.

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 51
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Picked up a Bob And Earl LP from 1969 on Jayboy...think it came out on B&C or something also... Not rare at all, but a nice LP.

It has a completely different take of Harlem Shuffle, an uptempo belter a of version... Still love the well known version. Just wondered any info on the alternate take.

first heard this in the 90s on a Goldmine CD, the track was titled "Harlem Shuffle '66", but no other details.

not all the issues of that LP have the track - it's on 3 or 4 labels and possibly only the Jayboy one has it on. presumably it will be the same take as the version that's on the Jackie Lee 'The Duck' LP on Mirwood?

Social source share

Guest Dante

:hatsoff2:see my post above

kev

Woops. Didn't see that. Thanks, Kev.

I thought it would be hard to beat the original version. But this one is damn good, too.

Social source share

Here it is on US uptempo 45 i'm sure legit stamp on B side,bit rough this copy Pete S gave me it when chucking out rubbish biggrin.gif So is this the original 45 ?

post-1986-044651500 1279141756_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Dante

Here it is on US uptempo 45 i'm sure legit stamp on B side,bit rough this copy Pete S gave me it when chucking out rubbish biggrin.gif So is this the original 45 ?

Nice one, Ken. I suppose it doesn't turn up too often?

Social source share

Nice one, Ken. I suppose it doesn't turn up too often?

Great for free only now i want a minter laugh.gif anybody got one for me ? cheers Ken

Social source share

bob and earl - harlem shuffle -

post-1986-044651500%201279141756_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Dante

Great for free only now i want a minter laugh.gif anybody got one for me ? cheers Ken

If you get one, I'll have your old copy.

I would even consider paying for it :lol:

Social source share

post-13241-016535900 1279146075_thumb.jppost-13241-041433800 1279146197_thumb.jpattachment=92499:DSCF0151.JPG]:D

:lol: HI ALL:- THE BOB & EARL 14/6 LP HAS THE EXTENDED "MY LITTLE GIRL"......AND ALTHOUGH HARLEM SHUFFLE HAS BEEN REISSUED MANY TIMES. I THINK THE ABOVE LPs TO BE THE BEST TO OWN! THE SUE LP IS THE RAREST! ALTHOUGH I HAVE 3 DIFFERANT UK 45 BLANK LABEL COPYS:ph34r: DAVE KIL

post-13241-097673600 1279145952_thumb.jp

post-13241-036084800 1279146278_thumb.jp

Social source share

I have never actually seen it on Trip before, good to know the uptempo version is available in 7" on both Trip & JayBoy though :lol:

Jayboy might have that somewhere biggrin.gif but i think this "trip" is the boy now.tongue.gif anyone else got one ? seen one even ? have a minta for me ? save Pete obviously cheers Pete did you actualy play it lad ?.It looks VG+++ just bad vinyl are they all like this ?

Social source share

Jayboy might have that somewhere biggrin.gif but i think this "trip" is the boy now.tongue.gif anyone else got one ? seen one even ? have a minta for me ? save Pete obviously cheers Pete did you actualy play it lad ?.It looks VG+++ just bad vinyl are they all like this ?

Ken, I always thought "Trip" was a re-issue label from New Jersey in the early 70's :lol:

steve

Social source share

Ken, I always thought "Trip" was a re-issue label from New Jersey in the early 70's :huh: yeh part of Springboard international

steve

Yeh but like other reissue labels do contain some original tracks ie; 1st issues Jayboy is 1970,Ohio players is on trip lee andrews as a couple of goodies on lost night,etc etc so i'm sure they where deffo around in the 6ts ? Hit records etc etc so if someone can post the first original 45 to me this is it fact.if someones know better put me out of my misery thousands of experts on here.

Social source share

:huh: HI KEN ..ON THE BACK OF THE SUE LP..GUY STEVENS CREDITS "MARC RECORDS USA"...IT DOES EXIST ON TRIP RECORDS AS I USED TO HAVE IT, HOWEVER I DON'T THINK IT'S THE RELEASE LABLE AS TRIP HAD A LOTTA JUKE BOX TYPE RELEASES A BIT LIKE LOST NIGHT, HOWEVER AGAIN THERE ARE SOME RECORDS THAT YOU CANT QUITE TRACE BACK!? OR INDEED FOREWARD the IVORYS, AND EARL HARRASON om WAND, ARE GOOD EXAMPLES OF THIS!?:wub: DAVE KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

:huh: HI KEN ..ON THE BACK OF THE SUE LP..GUY STEVENS CREDITS "MARC RECORDS USA"...IT DOES EXIST ON TRIP RECORDS AS I USED TO HAVE IT, HOWEVER I DON'T THINK IT'S THE RELEASE LABLE AS TRIP HAD A LOTTA JUKE BOX TYPE RELEASES A BIT LIKE LOST NIGHT, HOWEVER AGAIN THERE ARE SOME RECORDS THAT YOU CANT QUITE TRACE BACK!?:wub: DAVE KIL

Hi Dave,tried to cover that with my last post.............i think someone posted the Marc copy/version and it the more familier/slower version,anyway we'll see what comes up.

Social source share

Hi Dave,tried to cover that with my last post.............i think someone posted the Marc copy/version and it the more familier/slower version,anyway we'll see what comes up.

:huh: GOTCHA! IS IT THE RANWOOD COPY that was on trip as that would be the 1st unless it's on MIR, SURREY. OR RANWOOD AS ALOTTA REMAKES COME OUT ON THE REMEMBER DAMITO JO "SAVE THE LAST DANCE" IT'S GOT TO BE TRIP?:wub: DAVE KIL

Social source share

:huh: GOTCHA! IS IT THE RANWOOD COPY that was on trip as that would be the 1st unless it's on MIR, SURREY. OR RANWOOD AS ALOTTA REMAKES COME OUT ON THE REMEMBER DAMITO JO "SAVE THE LAST DANCE" IT'S GOT TO BE TRIP?:wub: DAVE KIL

post-1986-020710900 1279159648_thumb.jpg

Would be worth finding out,for the original poster and for them who would like to aquire the original US 45 yes ? i know i would !! hopefully i already have.

Social source share

post-1986-020710900 1279159648_thumb.jpg

Would be worth finding out,for the original poster and for them who would like to aquire the original 45 yes ? i know i would !! hopefully i already have.

:huh: Ken if you have a UK ISLAND COPY, LOOK @ THE MATRIX, you should see the old SUE # scratched out and the ISLAND cat# written over it? are you following me!, in the early 8ts i found a blank label copy of this?? I don't think I will come any closer to a blank SUE RECORD. as such and because it is cut from the SUE stamper it is hard to value, as anyone could make a blank record yes? as it has a small piece of writing on the label, i cant show copy as it's proof of being a genuine ISLAND pre release:thumbsup: As for the RANDY WOOD cnx I think that he remade most of his artist old records to the latest beat, this enabled him to make more $$$ from his artists, in fact muchmore. is he dead or alive?:wub: Dave

Social source share

Guest Dante

This thread has got pretty confusing. So is there a Ranwood 45 of the faster version of Harlem Shuffle or is the Trip 45 it?

From what I've read, the faster version can be found on Bob & Earl's Jayboy LP ('69), Jackie Lee's The Duck LP (I'm assuming Mirwood) and Jayboy and Trip 45s...

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Check out Robert Moore's 45 (b-side) Harlem Shuffle version. Thats pretty uptempo and gritty too!!

Edited by SteveC
Social source share

From what I've read, the faster version can be found on Bob & Earl's Jayboy LP ('69), Jackie Lee's The Duck LP (I'm assuming Mirwood) and Jayboy and Trip 45s...

:huh: Hi it's not on the Duck LP that has a slower version however it is on "KEEP the FAITH Vol3 see my scans, I am sure by the end of the day we will no whats what!:wub: DAVE KIL

Social source share

OK, so this fast version appears on the Crestview/B&C/Jay Boy LPs, Jay Boy 45 (with Send For Me I'll Be There as the flip) & Trip 45 (but with a Gene Allison track as the flip). Is it possible that Jay Boy chose their own songs from the LP to release as a UK only 45, choosing Harlem Shuffle over Dancing Everywhere or just randomly selecting a couple of tracks for a UK 45? Send For Me I'll Be There/Dancing Everywhere was the US Crestview 45. Crestview was a Randy Woods label, could be the Trip connection.

Social source share

Are you sure? Because in the youtube clip posted above the faster version is coming off The Duck LP?????

Fast on Mirwood LP just got mine out to see,but DaveD's is on UK london laugh.gif do you have a discography for Trip Kris ? anybody ?

Social source share

Fast on Mirwood LP just got mine out to see,but DaveD's is on UK london laugh.gif do you have a discography for Trip Kris ? anybody ?

right! am I just being confused?

is it that Ken's copy on Trip is actually Jackie Lee (Earl) on his own, with his remake that he did at Mirwood in 1966 of his and Bob Relf's 1963 record on Marc?

or am I missing something? (usually do! :thumbsup:)

steve

ps. that great instumental version that Toad posted also came out on 45 if I remember, on flip of Contempo's release of Harlem Shuffle in 1973ish

Social source share

So the White Whale 45 is the slow version. It looks like the Jay Boy 45 is the original issue of the fast version on 45 from 1969 as it is an LP track only in the US until the Trip 45 from the 1970s. (As far as I can tell Trip was not operating in the 1960s). So far...................................... :thumbsup:

Social source share

So the White Whale 45 is the slow version. It looks like the Jay Boy 45 is the original issue of the fast version on 45 from 1969 as it is an LP track only in the US until the Trip 45 from the 1970s. (As far as I can tell Trip was not operating in the 1960s). So far...................................... :thumbsup:

Jay boy is 1970,and trip deffo looks 6ts very much like a Sue pressing lots of Sue stuff sound shit even when V+++ bad vinyl....I'm sure "trip" was around in the 6ts even maybebiggrin.gif

Social source share

Are you sure? Because in the youtube clip posted above the faster version is coming off The Duck LP?????

:thumbsup: HI ALL,.....IT'S ANOTHER OOOOOOPPPPS:wub: RIGHT IT'THAT TIME OF THE MONTH? THE 1st UP-TEMPO THAT I HAVE IS ON THE JACKIE LEE "THE DUCK" LP-UK LONDON MONO=HAM 8336..TRACK 6 S,IDE 2, THE NEXT TIME IT WAS ISSUED WAS ON THE JOY REISSUE OF THE DUCK LP A,ONG WITH THE JAY BOY VOCAL & INS, HOWEVER A FEW WEEKS EARLY ER IT WAS RELEASED ON THE "KEEP THE FAITH" VOL 3 JOY LP 225, 1974, MEANWHILE BACK IN 69 ISLAND/TROJAN ISSUE THE BUDGET LP ON THE COMPANY LABEL B&C BCB1 AT THE TIME THIS LP ALONG WITH TIGHTEN UP VOL 1-2 BANG BANG LULU LP RED RED WINE LP, MOTOWN CHART BUSTERS VOL 3 AND SO ON WAS WHEN YOU DID NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE WHEEL OR THE RAM JAM CLUB TO HERE RARE BLACK MUSIC FOR 14.6 OR 19/11 YOU COULD PLAY AT HOME, I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT ALTHOUGH THE DUCK LP IS SUPERLATIVE, IT WAS THE B&C BOB & EARL LP ALSO THE 2 DRIFTERS LPs THAT THE AVERAGE NORTHERNER AND LONDONS SKINHEADS PATH ED THE WAY FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN AS A SUB CLOTURE, FINAL POINT NORTHERNERS AND CARROT CRUNCHERS NEVER SEEMED INTIMIDATING ONCE THEY STARTED TO SPEAK WERE THE LONDON BOYS DO,! YOU NO WHAT I MEAN! WELL DO YOU!!:thumbsup: DAVE KIL WHUFC

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Bob & Earl Harlem Shuffle on Jay Boy may well be there best take of this track but for me there is only one record of Harlem Shuffle to play out & dance to and thats the Traits on Scepter SCE12169 I think it was Kenny Spence that played this in nealy ever set he did at MrM's in 79/80 bloody great dancer IMO

Steve J

Social source share

:lol: HI ALL,.....IT'S ANOTHER OOOOOOPPPPS:wub: RIGHT IT'THAT TIME OF THE MONTH? THE 1st UP-TEMPO THAT I HAVE IS ON THE JACKIE LEE "THE DUCK" LP-UK LONDON MONO=HAM 8336..TRACK 6 S,IDE 2, THE NEXT TIME IT WAS ISSUED WAS ON THE JOY REISSUE OF THE DUCK LP A,ONG WITH THE JAY BOY VOCAL & INS, HOWEVER A FEW WEEKS EARLY ER IT WAS RELEASED ON THE "KEEP THE FAITH" VOL 3 JOY LP 225, 1974, MEANWHILE BACK IN 69 ISLAND/TROJAN ISSUE THE BUDGET LP ON THE COMPANY LABEL B&C BCB1 AT THE TIME THIS LP ALONG WITH TIGHTEN UP VOL 1-2 BANG BANG LULU LP RED RED WINE LP, MOTOWN CHART BUSTERS VOL 3 AND SO ON WAS WHEN YOU DID NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE WHEEL OR THE RAM JAM CLUB TO HERE RARE BLACK MUSIC FOR 14.6 OR 19/11 YOU COULD PLAY AT HOME, I STRONGLY BELIEVE THAT ALTHOUGH THE DUCK LP IS SUPERLATIVE, IT WAS THE B&C BOB & EARL LP ALSO THE 2 DRIFTERS LPs THAT THE AVERAGE NORTHERNER AND LONDONS SKINHEADS PATH ED THE WAY FOR THINGS TO HAPPEN AS A SUB CLOTURE, FINAL POINT NORTHERNERS AND CARROT CRUNCHERS NEVER SEEMED INTIMIDATING ONCE THEY STARTED TO SPEAK WERE THE LONDON BOYS DO,! YOU NO WHAT I MEAN! WELL DO YOU!!:thumbup: DAVE KIL WHUFC

Dont understand the lingo mate but for me the only Harlem Shuffle is the UK Sue release and yes, I do have the northernised Jay Boy 45 (crass) and the Traits Pye Int (white, although I dont mind white).

Social source share

Dont understand the lingo mate but for me the only Harlem Shuffle is the UK Sue release and yes, I do have the northernised Jay Boy 45 (crass) and the Traits Pye Int (white, although I dont mind white).

:hatsoff2: HI ALL .. I COULD HAVE YOU FOR "LINGOISAM" BUT I WON'T! MORE TO THE PIONT THIS IS WORTH HAVING FOR THE OTHER SIDE BUT THIS SIDE IS AN OK VERSION,. AS IS HARLEM SHUFFLE - THE MIKE COTTON SOUND ON POLYDOR 56096. AGAIN I PREFER THE OTHER SIDE TO THIS "LIKE THAT" VERY MOD.:thumbsup: DAVE

:thumbsup: IT LOOKS NICE ALSO:-

post-13241-040602300 1279848533_thumb.jp

Social source share

Guest jerrio

Check out Robert Moore's 45 (b-side) Harlem Shuffle version. Thats pretty uptempo and gritty too!!

ALSO WAYNE COCHRAN ON KING IS A CRACKER.post-18837-087846700 1279886757_thumb.jp

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert