Cellar Full Of Motown Volume 4

amo

To Win Your Heart has never sounded right to me; always sounds like it should have been left as an instrumental as the song seems to have been written around the tune and it's very clumsy. The inst is great though.

Spot on Pete.

I reckon Ed Wingate agreed as he released Festival time within a few weeks of To Win Your Heart coming out.

Motown also thought so and put the instr out on Gordy and not the vocal.

I do remember the Tony Turner rumour and I am sure it would have been found by now and out on a Kent LP/CD , if it was ever cut.wink.gif

Back on topic ( I thinkrolleyes.gif)

The CD is very mixed and not an out and out collection of Northern dancers but it is always good to hear some fresh Motown. The amount of "quality" tracks is bound to be reducing with every release but I quite enjoyed some tracks on this collection

eg Earl Van Dyke, The Spinners and Ivy Jo Hunter

Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Five!

I have never taken to " TWYH " , as I always found it to be poor , and well below the quality / standard of " FT " .

Can I join the gang , and be number # 6 Sir ? :hatsoff2:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

To Win Your Heart has never sounded right to me; always sounds like it should have been left as an instrumental as the song seems to have been written around the tune and it's very clumsy. The inst is great though.

Funny thing about this is that there's a bit towards the end, which everytime I play it at work has me thinking the phone's just rung.:D

I need help don't I.:thumbsup:

On a different drift. Wasn't Sidney Barnes - Safety Zone that I think Flynny used to play at CSC off a Jobete acetate?

I wonder why that hasn't appeared yet?

Edited by AndyF
Social source share

Funny thing about this is that there's a bit towards the end, which everytime I play it at work has me thinking the phone's just rung.

Thank the Lord.

For years I thought it was only me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Social source share

I bought the digital downloads a couple of weeks ago but my physical copy arrived from Amazon today (...at long last) so it's nice to have the credits and notes.

Social source share

Funny thing about this is that there's a bit towards the end, which everytime I play it at work has me thinking the phone's just rung.:lol:

I need help don't I.:D

Nah. You don't need help Andy. That was the famous telephone call that Ed Wingate had to take in the studio when Berry Gordy offered to buy the Ric-Tic/Golden World operation. They decided it would be a nice touch to leave it on just as they'd run out of ideas and were trying to coax a decent vocal out of Laura Lee on an old San Remo Strings backing track..........

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Nah. You don't need help Andy. That was the famous telephone call that Ed Wingate had to take in the studio when Berry Gordy offered to buy the Ric-Tic/Golden World operation. They decided it would be a nice touch to leave it on just as they'd run out of ideas and were trying to coax a decent vocal out of Laura Lee on an old San Remo Strings backing track..........

Ian D :lol:

And Berry's initial offer wasn't high enough, that's why Laura sang "You're barking up the wrong tree..."

:D

Social source share

And Berry's initial offer wasn't high enough, that's why Laura sang "You're barking up the wrong tree..."

:D

There ya go Paul. A perfect explanation for why she was singing so badly on the track. Ed was re-writing the bloody lyrics as he took the call and she was recording. That explains everything.

Another mystery solved then! It's really easy once yoiu get going isn't it.....? :lol:

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

There ya go Paul. A perfect explanation for why she was singing so badly on the track. Ed was re-writing the bloody lyrics as he took the call and she was recording. That explains everything.

Another mystery solved then! It's really easy once yoiu get going isn't it.....? :thumbsup:

Ian D :no:

Conclusive proof that men can multi task :wave:

Malc

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I ordered mine from HMV few days before released and it came few days after release so was happy and have to say there are some great tracks on it i like from Stevie Wonder, The Contours and my personal fav from The Four tops. So not a bad cd in total

Social source share

Guest tamlamotown2001

Good unissued Motown has been introduced to the scene for 30 years. Folk have been going through the vaults for years. Motown missed the boat big style with these packages, most of good stuff was already out there. There's still good stuff that hasn't been officially released on cd yet.

Good to see that Volume 4 is provoking discussion and thanks to all for your input even if you don't care for this volume, there is always someobody out there who will not like certain things and certain projects - however when you put one of these collections out is has to be of general interest and not just aimed at a few. It was never the intention of this series to be a Northern Soul collection or to be aimed straight at Northern Soul fans - it is and always has been aimed at Motown fans. Incidentally far from being the weakest of the sets so far sales are proving that this is the strongest in the series so far with the two disc set outselling the previous 3 volumes in a far shorter time frame.

Incidentally Chalky would be interested to see and hear your suggestions for future volumes, mind you it's no good suggesting alternate mixes etc. they have to be unreleased.

Edited by tamlamotown2001
Social source share

Incidentally Chalky would be interested to see and hear your suggestions for future volumes, mind you it's no good suggesting alternate mixes etc. they have to be unreleased.

What's wrong with an alternate mix? There's at least two of Suspicion that are more than worth a cd outing. One has a more 70's flavour to it, wah wah guitar etc.

I don't want to do your job for you :wave::rolleyes: but I can think of an unissued Versatiles played out by Chris King, Steve Green and myself a Contours I play out (Rob Moss found it). A GC Cameron I've had for a few years but rarely played it out, maybe two or three times. A couple by Ivory Joe Hunter ("Where Were You" being one of them). I must have 50 or 60 unissued Martha Reeves at home with at least a couple of decent ones in amongst them that have never featured anywhere.

Social source share

yes vinyl releases the last one was earl van dyke /supremes

Considering what is available a pretty poor effort.

I thought there were others recently issued on striped Tamla or similar. There was talk of "Love starved heart" coming out. I may be confused but something like 5 releases for £15. The fact that they were mainly easy to get records on original seemed to have passed them by.

I understand 2001's comments that they're aimed at the general Motown fan but as these recordings have been unearthed on the Northern scene it seems daft to ignore that.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Guest tamlamotown2001

What's wrong with an alternate mix? There's at least two of Suspicion that are more than worth a cd outing. One has a more 70's flavour to it, wah wah guitar etc.

I don't want to do your job for you :wave::rolleyes: but I can think of an unissued Versatiles played out by Chris King, Steve Green and myself a Contours I play out (Rob Moss found it). A GC Cameron I've had for a few years but rarely played it out, maybe two or three times. A couple by Ivory Joe Hunter ("Where Were You" being one of them). I must have 50 or 60 unissued Martha Reeves at home with at least a couple of decent ones in amongst them that have never featured anywhere.

If you are talking about Ivy Joe Hunter the writer/producer then his whole proposed album is heading for release pretty soon now, a few of the artists you mention have are unavailable for various rerasons - but we need proper titles and artists in order to research projects.

The whole basis of COM is that the track is unreleased but we have waived that a couple of times in the past so maybe there is a place for the alternate Suspicion and if there is a Volume 5 then maybe that's the place for it.

As far as the release of 45's that a policy decision for Universal to make themselves.

Social source share

If you are talking about Ivy Joe Hunter the writer/producer then his whole proposed album is heading for release pretty soon now, a few of the artists you mention have are unavailable for various rerasons - but we need proper titles and artists in order to research projects.

The whole basis of COM is that the track is unreleased but we have waived that a couple of times in the past so maybe there is a place for the alternate Suspicion and if there is a Volume 5 then maybe that's the place for it.

As far as the release of 45's that a policy decision for Universal to make themselves.

I'm looking forward to the Ivy Joe Hunter CD.

And I hope Vol 5 doesn't take too long.

Keep up the good work.

:lol:

Social source share

Good to see that Volume 4 is provoking discussion and thanks to all for your input even if you don't care for this volume, there is always someobody out there who will not like certain things and certain projects - however when you put one of these collections out is has to be of general interest and not just aimed at a few. It was never the intention of this series to be a Northern Soul collection or to be aimed straight at Northern Soul fans - it is and always has been aimed at Motown fans. Incidentally far from being the weakest of the sets so far sales are proving that this is the strongest in the series so far with the two disc set outselling the previous 3 volumes in a far shorter time frame.

From a personal perspective, and moreover from a Motown enthusiasts point of view, whilst eagerly anticipating volume 4's release, on first hearing, whilst undoubtedly there are several standout tracks, IMHO overall I was disappointed with the blandness with regard the bulk of the playlist....hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

I'm looking forward to the Ivy Joe Hunter CD.

And I hope Vol 5 doesn't take too long.

Keep up the good work.

:lol:

I liked most of the CD on the first listening, and having listened a lot more I think it is outstanding. No it is not 100% northern, but a great example of what was and probably still is in the vault.

Like Paul, I can't wait for the Ivy Joe Hunter CD. Where Were You and Its a Desperate Situation are unbelievable records that would grace any venue.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

sorry im way behind with this as ive just got round to purchasing the said article. so, i feel its a pre-requisite of middle-age that compilations such as these should be viewed in a more broader mellow approach. the very fact that there are enthusiasts still willing to navigate the exhustive vaults of detroits finest to search out the labels roster of stars contributions, wether, slow,fast or of a different musical style, is a testiment to their enduring love of motown, and these cds bestow on us every sweat stained effort of the artists we love, attempting to find another hit. pouring emotion into every composition placed in front of them to find that certain something that ear-marked the tune as a potential hit. anyone who cares to browse "off the record" will realise that 25-30,000 archive recordings constitutes a mammoth task in aural concentration.whilst the book has been in print nearly 20 years, the people concerned, didnt start this project until the start of this decade, so i would imagine they still have a substantial void to fill. it would surely be a contradiction of terms to profess dissapointment at the lack of uptempo stompers on this production,...this is about the sound of motown as a bigger picture, about artists different interpretations of arrangements, not just on the fours. we all love motown for its universally recognised musical signature, but through the 60's and 70's we listened to the ballads as well as the dancers and had a deeply affinitive appreciation for them.

i must say that i do whole-heartedly agree with various people here,about the stevie wonder track...absolutely outstanding and it provokes bewilderment that it could have avoided daylight and airplay for so long, but the odessy that messers nixon and weinger have undertaken is primarily to do just that and....if it happens to make the hairs on the back of the neck stand and its NOT a backdropper then all well and good because at least youre showing your appreciation for the soundtrack of your life.

at the end of the day everyone of these artists is our hero and the fact that we have waited a long time for this next installment, shouldnt necessitate a negative response....open your eyes.....youre still the kid in the candy store, still hearing motown youve never heard before....take pleasure in that fact....like the saying goes "youre a long time dead".

Social source share

sorry im way behind with this as ive just got round to purchasing the said article. so, i feel its a pre-requisite of middle-age that compilations such as these should be viewed in a more broader mellow approach. the very fact that there are enthusiasts still willing to navigate the exhustive vaults of detroits finest to search out the labels roster of stars contributions, wether, slow,fast or of a different musical style, is a testiment to their enduring love of motown, and these cds bestow on us every sweat stained effort of the artists we love, attempting to find another hit. pouring emotion into every composition placed in front of them to find that certain something that ear-marked the tune as a potential hit. anyone who cares to browse "off the record" will realise that 25-30,000 archive recordings constitutes a mammoth task in aural concentration.whilst the book has been in print nearly 20 years, the people concerned, didnt start this project until the start of this decade, so i would imagine they still have a substantial void to fill. it would surely be a contradiction of terms to profess dissapointment at the lack of uptempo stompers on this production,...this is about the sound of motown as a bigger picture, about artists different interpretations of arrangements, not just on the fours. we all love motown for its universally recognised musical signature, but through the 60's and 70's we listened to the ballads as well as the dancers and had a deeply affinitive appreciation for them.

i must say that i do whole-heartedly agree with various people here,about the stevie wonder track...absolutely outstanding and it provokes bewilderment that it could have avoided daylight and airplay for so long, but the odessy that messers nixon and weinger have undertaken is primarily to do just that and....if it happens to make the hairs on the back of the neck stand and its NOT a backdropper then all well and good because at least youre showing your appreciation for the soundtrack of your life.

at the end of the day everyone of these artists is our hero and the fact that we have waited a long time for this next installment, shouldnt necessitate a negative response....open your eyes.....youre still the kid in the candy store, still hearing motown youve never heard before....take pleasure in that fact....like the saying goes "youre a long time dead".

So have you been in the pub all day or have you started early?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert