Joey Delorenzo - Wake Up

I wasn't being funny just thought it odd he would call the record "a load of tosh F@@k all to do with soul.........pure pop crap" when it says he was the first person to play it :thumbsup:

Anyway, who cares what anyone else thinks of it?

If I like a record I couldn't give two hoots what other people think.

Could've been a hint of sarcasm in Smudge's reply Joan?

Social source share

• Replies 95
  • Views 8.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It was played a lot at the Dome, so i'm assuming it was either Kenny or Dave Flynn playing it regularly there.

Just looked at the list of records Dave played at the Dome and yep Joey DeLorenzo is there so it is all his fault :thumbsup: I thought he was one of the culprits to play this.

Social source share

Scan of boot, label too small and ddoesn't fit area it should fill correctly. Sold this on eBay few months back and amazingly got £48 for it :thumbsup::yes:

post-4964-095255800 1278865987_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Scan of boot, label too small and ddoesn't fit area it should fill correctly. Sold this on eBay few months back and amazingly got £48 for it :thumbsup::yes:

post-4964-095255800 1278865987_thumb.jpg

Ah. I remember this one. It was done by the Variety Club to raise funds for their 'Sunshine Coaches' that provide support for disadvantaged and disabled kids*

* Well it's as likely as the breakfast cereal story...

Social source share

was quite detailed info about this a bit back wasnt there, song was something to do with his daughter, she either wrote it or inspired it after they moved to the west coast ?

I've got a vague recollection of either myself (or maybe someone else ) being in touch with him or someone connected shortly before he passed on,

and being told that he was writing a book at the time, and all info would be in there,

Social source share

I thought the purpose of the record was to promote a car sales business. Only a few were pressed and given away as freebies.

Chalky's right. Dave Flynn used to play this regularly at The Dome. Not one of my favourite memories of the place :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yup thats me I always play crap lol......................i did say earlier that i sold it Joan..............it ran its course for about 4 weeks then had to go!

4 weeks Smudge ??, with you only allowed out every 9 weeks you must have played it at home a lot:lol: :hatsoff2::thumbsup:

Still think it,s a great summer sounding record, don't ask me why tho !!!biggrin.gif

Ian.

Social source share

Just looked at the list of records Dave played at the Dome and yep Joey DeLorenzo is there so it is all his fault biggrin.gif I thought he was one of the culprits to play this.

Yep, I played it at t'Dome and at various clubs all over the world...always to a busy dancefloor :thumbsup:

I can understand folk not liking the vocal as it isn't exactly a gruff'n'gritty growling performance...but...it is a pure Northern Soul track worthy of scene exposure from probably 74 onwards...this really can't be denied? The chopping guitar, the strong bassline breaks...perfect for the dancer...all wrapped up with some organ work and backing chorus.

Maybe, and feel free to discuss this theory, the 'problem' nowadays is that a lot of folk first hear a track through home speakers rather than pounding out of a club PA, when it can take on a different slant? Think back to some discs in your own collections which sounded completely different when you got them home...L.Allen is another that springs to my mind...I was defo disappointed the first time it hit my home stylus!

Each to their own :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

One of my fave memories of the Dome is the full dancefloor, as Dave says, to this. Clapping in unison, in a way not often seen at other venues.

The Dome crowd really took this one to their hearts and got the maximum enjoyment out of it.

Whether it has stood the test of time, and whether it sounds good at home are 2 different matters. But for that time, at that venue, it was IMO a superb sound. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

its a great northern soul record - GET OVER IT!!!! kenny burrell made it a monster ...not for the soul purists but who cares,,,a FLOORFILLER in its day........the dome etc......gr8 tune,,,,imo of course!

I'm with Mark on this, it is a good (dunno about great) Northern Soul record, there's a lot worse out there, you lot have obviously never heard George Lemons....

Social source share

Probably not one for satisfying home listening and agree, defo not a great vocal and certainly not a great soul record, but I don't think anyone would claim it to be. But if you were one of those Dome regulars in the early noughties, as some have already said, this was total Northern - hand claps, packed dancefloor, the flipping lot. Very fond memories of this in the car and at the venue on those Friday nights after a long drive after work from Cardiff to London making those pick-ups on the way in Bristol, Weston and Swindon. Great times, great venue, great sounds. My thanks to Flynny for breaking this record.

If you weren't there, then I can understand why you might regard this tune as a piece of crap - but if you were there, you'd get it.

Social source share

If you weren't there, then I can understand why you might regard this tune as a piece of crap - but if you were there, you'd get it.

Think this is true of all venues and quirky tracks over the years, obviously Wigan, Yate etc...but even my beloved Stafford....peanut duck coming to mind! :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I'm with Mark on this, it is a good (dunno about great) Northern Soul record, there's a lot worse out there, you lot have obviously never heard George Lemons....

Pete ....G. LEMONS sounds great over a loud system and always has the floor full

Maybe ..just maybe ,that is the crux of the matter ..................scrutinising a record sat at home ,opposed to being at a venue, with a good crowd and a decent atmosphere ....not to mention a few sherberts :hatsoff2:

Also got to agree ....Northern soul may contain the word soul ,but that's not to say all Northern soul records are soulful ..by any stretch ,cos they most certainly ain't .

P.s.........

Going off on a tangent here but something that always bugs me ........can a instrumental be considered soulful ??

My interpretation of soulful is something that is sung from the heart and get's under your skin ,unlike something that was made purely to make money .....like most of todays pop /chart music .

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I was there and i still think it's crap :hatsoff2:

At the end of the day no one likes everything, even the high quality of Dome plays had a few duds in there. Dave Flynn more than redeems himself though for the majestic Benny Spellman - This Is For You My Love and for that we should be grateful. :lol:

And as i've said already the intro to Joey Delorenzo often had me running to the Dome dancefloor before the vocal kicked in and i remembered what it really was... so it's true a big system flatters to deceive.

I'm surprised so many people dislike this record so much, there are plenty of records we don't like that usually plenty of others do, it's all a matter of taste but i don't think i've seen so many against and so few for. Even George Lemons, Larry Trider and Dean Barlow don't have so many haters... or do they? :unsure:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I was there and i still think it's crap :thumbsup:

At the end of the day no one likes everything, even the high quality of Dome plays had a few duds in there. Dave Flynn more than redeems himself though for the majestic Benny Spellman - This Is For You My Love and for that we should be grateful. :thumbsup:

That just shows our different tastes, I would get up and dance to Joey but hate Benny Spellman, too like Fortune Teller...always fast forward that track if it comes on in the car...:lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

It was played a lot at the Dome, so i'm assuming it was either Kenny or Dave Flynn playing it regularly there.

carl fortnum

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

joey delorenzo,joe jama,dean barlow and plenty of others..............it has nowt to do with taste,taste in soul music is wether one person prefers say : eddie parker to buddy smith or duke browner to jonny rodgers........these are a matter of taste. the records at the start of this statement have no right or place to be played at any soul venue full stop........they are pure unadulterated SH*T.......of the very highest calibre. peggy babcock

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

joey delorenzo,joe jama,dean barlow and plenty of others..............it has nowt to do with taste,taste in soul music is wether one person prefers say : eddie parker to buddy smith or duke browner to jonny rodgers........these are a matter of taste. the records at the start of this statement have no right or place to be played at any soul venue full stop........they are pure unadulterated SH*T.......of the very highest calibre. peggy babcock

unadulterated poppy crap records have been played on the scene even at the most prestegious SOUL clubs since the wholescene began. people danced to em then and they still dance to em now, no big deal really,

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

pete and my good friend and gentleman, george from carlisle brought them over after a carpark deal with mike vilvano in the states. i was told five copies were exchanged/given/ sold with one going to another gentleman of the scene kenny burrell who made it a dancers monster track, (including the ritz spectecular when richard invited ian levine back to dj and played the mega rare "half the world is mine" adam wade, a great crossover BTW.) the dancers loved it , and i remember a kid doing all the acrobats better than the halcyon days, which is what it was always about isnt it! one copy went to ginger. pete and george proably keeping one and selling me the other. doing a carpark deal at preston grasshoppers where i played it and filled the floor with dancers. its legitimacy was in question but once john manship saw it (after the book) he was convinced, (and i will not hear anything derogatory said of the guru of soul who incidently never says he knows everything like others do and how they started the scene and did this and that) i swapped it with dave flynn for a couple of tunes including cody black "slowly moulding", pookie hudson, ladybirds, toni basil, ......etc. after that i dont know. but the copy pb has is not the one i passed to dave flynn as i has a scan of that. i loved it, as did a lot of others, yes it could be seen as not northern etc etc everyone is absolutley entiled to an opinion, it creates great threads like this and we all find out a litte bit more.............................so if you got a problem............wake up to the sunshine girl wake up, wake up to the sunshine girl. and my wife loves it so nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!

is preston grass hoppers still going............

Social source share

Kind of sums up the quirkiness of this scene. It certainly wouldn't have been out of place on Winstanley's playlist circa 1976 and there's the irony of it . This period is now dissed by most Soul fans yet the people who decided to plug it obviously though it was valid. I can only imagine it must have been its rarity 'cos I for one don't 'get' it. As Mark says, I'll have to get over it.... Each to his own etc...

Edited by macca
Social source share

pete and my good friend and gentleman, george from carlisle brought them over after a carpark deal with mike vilvano in the states. i was told five copies were exchanged/given/ sold with one going to another gentleman of the scene kenny burrell who made it a dancers monster track, (including the ritz spectecular when richard invited ian levine back to dj and played the mega rare "half the world is mine" adam wade, a great crossover BTW.) the dancers loved it , and i remember a kid doing all the acrobats better than the halcyon days, which is what it was always about isnt it! one copy went to ginger. pete and george proably keeping one and selling me the other. doing a carpark deal at preston grasshoppers where i played it and filled the floor with dancers. its legitimacy was in question but once john manship saw it (after the book) he was convinced, (and i will not hear anything derogatory said of the guru of soul who incidently never says he knows everything like others do and how they started the scene and did this and that) i swapped it with dave flynn for a couple of tunes including cody black "slowly moulding", pookie hudson, ladybirds, toni basil, ......etc. after that i dont know. but the copy pb has is not the one i passed to dave flynn as i has a scan of that. i loved it, as did a lot of others, yes it could be seen as not northern etc etc everyone is absolutley entiled to an opinion, it creates great threads like this and we all find out a litte bit more.............................so if you got a problem............wake up to the sunshine girl wake up, wake up to the sunshine girl. and my wife loves it so nuff said!!!!!!!!!!!

is preston grass hoppers still going............

Very interesting thanks mate, i love the record too, not too everyones taste but i don't like modern to balance it out:D :lol:

ian.

Social source share

Iits like Marmite!...........along with that Benzine thing yes.gif ........Proper northern stompers that get your feet tapping even when (like me) you hate them :thumbup: but when you look at the dancefloor................ :lol:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dancedancedance

Lots of divided opinion on this one. I must say I fall on the side of love it. The vocals aren't great but the lyrics melt me and having watched my favourite dancer dance to it I have fallen in love with it :ohmy:

Social source share

Bring back Keith,Marc Copage & the Cherry People, all's forgiven. Now Gary Lewis, 5 & a Penny, Nosmo King, now your talking & yes we all danced our little bottoms off & were happy to do so, compared to some of the Country & Western type dross played today because it's "Rare" & some of the down right utter utter tosh that was played at Stafford (Which thankfully I missed,or I would never have returned to the scene) Joey DeLorenzo is at least a nice uplifting dance tune,only my opinion though.:thumbsup:

Take care,be safe & remember," Just because you got a problem that you know you've got to face",

Spot.:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert