Worst Flip Sides

You could be forgiven for thinking the artists were held at gun point and made to lay down some of the rubbish you find on the other side of some gems.

I know with a lot of 60's Australian garage the company would make them record a stock track on the A side and they could do one of their own for the B side... maybe in some cases it was the same stateside, or I'd like to think so......

2 of the worst that spring to mind....

Rose Brooks - I'm moanin with the god awful They're coming to take me away........ What was she thinking :thumbsup:

Eunice Collins - At the hotel This has an intsro version on the flip with what sounds like a 5 year old kid playing the recorder on it :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Suppose theres thousands, and being one of those who plays the flip first on receipt of records, i have heard my fair sharelaugh.gif one that springs to mind, only cos i played it the other day FOUR CHAPS-WILL YOU OR WON`T YOU biggrin.gif

The the exact one that initially came to my mind too! Absolutey dire!

Social source share

Don't suppose you'd class as dire if you're a West Ham fan but certainly for total contrast the flip side of "The Jewels-We Got Togetherness" which is entitled "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" :boxing:

And an Instrumental only your grannie would love check out "Bet You're Surprised" on the flip of G. Davis & R. Tyler's "Hold On Help Is On The Way" laugh.gif

You're right Harry....there's bleedin' thousands :D

Edited by Blunny
Social source share

You could be forgiven for thinking the artists were held at gun point and made to lay down some of the rubbish you find on the other side of some gems.

I know with a lot of 60's Australian garage the company would make them record a stock track on the A side and they could do one of their own for the B side... maybe in some cases it was the same stateside, or I'd like to think so......

Rose Brooks - I'm moanin with the god awful They're coming to take me away........ What was she thinking :thumbsup:

Eunice Collins - At the hotel This has an intsro version on the flip with what sounds like a 5 year old kid playing the recorder on it :rolleyes:

Rose Brooks was obviously trying for a hit with her cover version of a successful pop tune - "I'm Moaning was the b-Side and most probably was the throw away side in their thinking, but I agree it's an awful track.

Social source share

Suppose theres thousands, and being one of those who plays the flip first on receipt of records, i have heard my fair share:laugh: one that springs to mind, only cos i played it the other day FOUR CHAPS-WILL YOU OR WON`T YOU :D

I haven't played this for ages!.............and it's still the first one that came to mind.

- Kev.

Social source share

The "Four Chaps" were "The Vogues" who thought it would be a good idea to cash in on the British Invasion, by putting out a disc in that ilk, complete with fake accents, and even changing their name for the disc. If it was done for a "joke" the joke was certainly on them.

Des Parker

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I have read, or been told, Phil Spector used to put those naff b-sides on the records he produced to stop radio djs flipping the record. May be an urban myth - he certainly did use naff b-sides but not sure if this is why he did it (as presumably this is why demos usually have the same track on both sides).

Social source share

Bonzo Dog Do Da Band...can't remember what was on the A side but the Bside was Canyons Of Your Mind...so bad i still know all the words....

Fabio Capello has set up a friendly match against Iceland to try to cheer the fans up.....

If we beat them we go on to play Tesco then Sainsbury!

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

Rose Brooks - I'm moanin with the god awful They're coming to take me away........ What was she thinking :lol:

Eunice Collins - At the hotel This has an intsro version on the flip with what sounds like a 5 year old kid playing the recorder on it frusty2.gif

Flip over Romance Watson - where does that leave me.

Its called "froggy bottom"

had me in bits back in the 80s when i got it

totally comical !

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

I have read, or been told, Phil Spector used to put those naff b-sides on the records he produced to stop radio djs flipping the record. May be an urban myth - he certainly did use naff b-sides but not sure if this is why he did it (as presumably this is why demos usually have the same track on both sides).

Actually the story goes that Phil Spector's release of the Crystals - I love you Eddie.which was a ballad

was suppossed to be the a side,but DJs much preffered the more uptempo B Side, He's a Rebel so started playing that.

Phil was so mad at this,that in future he only used to put Instrumentals on the B side of all his crystals and Ronettes releases after that.

Actually one or two were quite good.

Stu.

Social source share

Flip over Romance Watson - where does that leave me.

Its called "froggy bottom"

had me in bits back in the 80s when i got it

totally comical !

The top side hasn't aged has it I am afraid, sounds like Vic Reeves doing George Lemons (voice that is, although anyone doing George Lemons would win with me), not as bad as his horrendous Come A Little Closer which is like Vic Reeves does Tommy Steele, truly awful, can't actually believe I own them!

Anyway I digress, there are lots of really truly awful b-sides on Northern records, can't think of one at moment but will go on hunt after footie for some.

Social source share

Play side not to clever either kiddo! :rolleyes::D

Regards,

Dave

You're not wrong there Dave. 12/10 for effort to commit it to vinyl, but I always thought the next best thing to happen to her would be a few good singing lessons.

Hope she made good. Anyone know?

kev

Social source share

You're not wrong there Dave. 12/10 for effort to commit it to vinyl, but I always thought the next best thing to happen to her would be a few good singing lessons.

Hope she made good. Anyone know?

kev

I shouldn't have thought so. Someone had a touch of irony naming the group 'The Believers'. :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

hi miss goldie, try "custers lastman" b side of shimmy gully by popcorn wylie......................this is the worst record you will hear , i feel sure. but you are right, they would get royalties from the mechanical rights to this. it was sometimes used as an inducement to get people to record for a specific company. you may even have the company chairman put his name in as a writer too so he would recieve some of the royalties. all part of the deal. a great case in point is all the early elvis stuff. youll seehis name alongside otis blackwell, but i seriously dont tink elvis could write anything like hound dog or dont be cruel at 16! see you in november, or 2 weeks time

Social source share

the Intrigues great Yew single "in a moment" has the worst b-side ever "scotchman's rock". (but maybe it is big in scotland?)

not the type of topic I would think there would be an obvious answer to but this one HAS to be the winner

Social source share

not the type of topic I would think there would be an obvious answer to but this one HAS to be the winner

I am not sure I can agree with this, how can any tune with the line "I just got back from Scotchland" and a bagpipe solo in it ever be the worst record ever, sorry boys voting this one off.

I did play it once for a laugh and people did dance for the first few bars I seem to remember, then they resorted to throwing rotten fruit, but since they did that for all my records I thought it was okay.....

I also played b side of Rose Brooks as an extra record at end of Allanton, everyone just kept on ignoring me....

Social source share

"Bell Bottom Slacks And A Chinese Kimono (She´s My Little Spodee-O)"

which is the flip side of Crazy Baby by The Coasters...........believe me, it is just as bad as the title suggests.:D / Bell Bottom Slacks And A Chinese Kimono

(She´s My Little Spodee-O)

Crazy Baby / Bell Bottom Slacks And A Chinese Kimono

Crazy Baby / Bell Bottom SlackCrazy Baby / Bell Bottom Slacks And A Chinese Kimono

s And A Chinese Kimono

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert