Leeds All Dayer - Remember?

• Replies 55
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

jnr walker played at the cats whiskers,meanwood leeds ??

I will confirm that it was the CW that JW played : As Ian Dewhirst will second , it was one of the best I have - and he has - seen .

Malc

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Still have memories of Leeds All Dayer, I think Mel and Tim were on the bill as well. Huge great hall anyway. It could be me though, my memory is useless.

I think you cud be on about the do at the Queens Hall ()not central hall--don,t know such a place in Leeds) in 1974 which featured the aforementioned Mel and Tim, Major Lance,J.J.Barnes and others----this was held in an old tram shed and the acoustics were crap as was the stone dance floor------it,s now a massive car park you can see when you,re on the train from Leeds to York(incidentally behind where the Blue Gardenia ,used to stand in White Horse ST.----ask uncle Malc Burton about that venue!!!

Tony Coleby

Social source share

I think you cud be on about the do at the Queens Hall ()not central hall--don,t know such a place in Leeds) in 1974 which featured the aforementioned Mel and Tim, Major Lance,J.J.Barnes and others----this was held in an old tram shed and the acoustics were crap as was the stone dance floor------it,s now a massive car park you can see when you,re on the train from Leeds to York(incidentally behind where the Blue Gardenia ,used to stand in White Horse ST.----ask uncle Malc Burton about that venue!!!

Tony Coleby

it would be this one went with my brother it was an attrocious venue huge sound was crap, sure it was an all nighter not dayer.

mark

Social source share

Guest Dante

Tony Coleby

Is this the same that was advertised as the biggest allnighter ever, or the one that had more people through the doors?

Edited by Dante
Social source share

Guest Old Soul

Tony Coleby

I went to this one and like you said not a good do all, I remember bad dance floor you just moved where you were stood,sound system was rubbish, to hear any one you had to get to the front and then just a crush of sweaty bodies Im sure it was an allday and not a nighter, We dint stop the night if it was cos it was pretty poor....KTF

Social source share

Tony Coleby

Quite right Tony , it was the first International Soul Club all - nighter that was held at The Queens Hall , and featured Mel and Tim , Major Lance , J.J.Barnes and the wonderfully dire Hearts Of Soul . As you state , the QH was originally the old Leeds Bus Corperation tram / bus shed .

The whole event was memoorable from start to finish , but for all the wrong reasons , and is often referred to / remembered as the " Dunkirk of the amphetamine generation " .

As for The Bee - Gee , those tales are for another day biggrin.gif

Uncle Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I dj'd at a Cat Whiskers nighter back in 75 with Searling and a very young Gary Spencer, maybe evem Smudge Smith...

Trades Description Act ....... GS was never young no.gif

Malc

Social source share

Quite right Tony , it was the first International Soul Club all - nighter that was held at The Queens Hall , and featured Mel and Tim , Major Lance , J.J.Barnes and the wonderfully dire Hearts Of Soul . As you state , the QH was originally the old Leeds Bus Corperation tram / bus shed .

The whole event was memoorable from start to finish , but for all the wrong reasons , and is often referred to / remembered as the " Dunkirk of the amphetamine generation " .

As for The Bee - Gee , those tales are for another day :thumbsup:

Uncle Malc

From my recollection, that wonderful phrase describes it perfectly.

Sure there's been mention of it on here before :rolleyes:

ATB

Tony

Social source share

From my recollection, that wonderful phrase describes it perfectly.

Sure there's been mention of it on here before :thumbsup:

ATB

Tony

I coined ( copyright exists :lol: ) the expression when the debacle of the QH was first raised as a thread / subject on SS , as in my mind - following my experience of being there - that I felt it summed up the event perfectly .

Malc

Social source share

• 4 months later...

Malc what do you remember about the BeeGee? It takes me back to a very young age. I went to school with the son of the owner Salvo. I was still at school when I first went there..saw Wynder.K.Frogg there .

As for The Bee - Gee , those tales are for another day :D

Uncle Malc

Social source share

Guest little glyn

I'm from Leeds and did want to go but was only 6 at the time so couldn't get in.

Fcuking bouncers.

Ste.

you missed nothing i travelled up with my now wife with a gang from north wales ( llandudno area ) as i remember it was a vast hall with concrete floor absolutley crap acoustics everything about the venue was poor ,you almost felt sorry for the artists that performed on that night, i think it was a case that you looked like you where enjoying yourselve NOT !!

Edited by little glyn
Social source share

you are correct Glyn. I'm from Leeds and it was rubbish.Although it has to be said Mel & Tim were excellent..I didnt bother going to the second one though. Came out to find 'our' car had been nicked . Only it wasnt our car at all, it was nicked. so somebody nicked our nicked car! bizarre times.

you missed nothing i travelled up with my now wife with a gang from north wales ( llandudno area ) as i remember it was a vast hall with concrete floor absolutley crap acoustics everything about the venue was poor ,you almost felt sorry for the artists that performed on that night, i think it was a case that you looked like you where enjoying yourselve NOT !!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest roggert

FIRST ALLDAYER AT QUEENS HALL WAS ABOUT 1968-9 PETE STRINGFELLOW-THE MOJO CLUB ,HAD ONE, I REMEMBER HAVING A WALK TO THE TOILETS WHICH SEEMED ABOUT HALF A MILE FROM THE STAGE AREA, THERE WERE STILL TRAM LINES ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!

Edited by roggert
Social source share

FIRST ALLDAYER AT QUEENS HALL WAS ABOUT 1968-9 PETE STRINGFELLOW-THE MOJO CLUB ,HAD ONE, I REMEMBER HAVING A WALK TO THE TOILETS WHICH SEEMED ABOUT HALF A MILE FROM THE STAGE AREA, THERE WERE STILL TRAM LINES ON THE FLOOR!!!!!!

That all - dayer was on Whit Monday , the 3rd of June 1968 Derek .

Billed by PS as " The King Mojo UK & USA International Festival No. 1 " , it featured the following acts -

The Small Faces

Bill Haley & The Comets

Edwin Starr & The Starliners

The Herd

The Fantastics

Alan Bown

The Amboy Dukes

Gospel Garden

The Turquoise

The Clockwork Orange

The Mojo Soul Show with Go - Go Dancers

Compere : Pete Stringfellow

Cost was 20/- for advance tickets , 25/- on the door .

Malc

Social source share

That all - dayer was on Whit Monday , the 3rd of June 1968 Derek .

Billed by PS as " The King Mojo UK & USA International Festival No. 1 " , it featured the following acts -

The Small Faces

Bill Haley & The Comets

Edwin Starr & The Starliners

The Herd

The Fantastics

Alan Bown

The Amboy Dukes

Gospel Garden

The Turquoise

The Clockwork Orange

The Mojo Soul Show with Go - Go Dancers

Compere : Pete Stringfellow

Cost was 20/- for advance tickets , 25/- on the door .

Malc

Thank god for the very sharp and vivid memory of Mr Malc Burton whose recollections of many things soulful prove time and again to be accurate and knowledgeable down to the finest detail.:thumbsup::thumbup: .

Malc as i remember it, Junior Walker did appear at the Queens hall and on the same bill was the Detroit Emeralds although other artists that appeared on the night escapes the memory. The highlight of the night was when Junior did his impression of a very slow backdrop without his hands as they were still playing that immortal saxaphone and rose up again in one very slow movement. Priceless! wish i had a photo.

Were you there at that night Malc and can you confirm my recollections of the evening?.

Everything said about this venue regarding how crap it was as music venue is pretty accurate although it was probably the only venue around that could take the blown up attendance that Chris Burton was expecting to get through the doors.

ROY

Social source share

Thank god for the very sharp and vivid memory of Mr Malc Burton whose recollections of many things soulful prove time and again to be accurate and knowledgeable down to the finest detail.:(:lol: .

Malc as i remember it, Junior Walker did appear at the Queens hall and on the same bill was the Detroit Emeralds although other artists that appeared on the night escapes the memory. The highlight of the night was when Junior did his impression of a very slow backdrop without his hands as they were still playing that immortal saxaphone and rose up again in one very slow movement. Priceless! wish i had a photo.

Were you there at that night Malc and can you confirm my recollections of the evening?.

Everything said about this venue regarding how crap it was as music venue is pretty accurate although it was probably the only venue around that could take the blown up attendance that Chris Burton was expecting to get through the doors.

ROY

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

[Thank god for the very sharp and vivid memory of Mr Malc Burton whose recollections of many things soulful prove time and again to be accurate and knowledgeable down to the finest detail.:lol::D .

ROY

Social source share

wow, I dont remember the Mojo all-nighter in Leeds!..I was an older looking fourteen year old managing to get into the BeeGee, Keyhole club and various other Leeds Mod related clubs & coffee bars, but cant remember that one!

Malc, do you know Bernard Fernnell , Derek Barnett, Rick Vaughan and Colin Vernon then? What about Mick Eastwood and Denis Billingham who opened Hernies in Harehills(the old Hernandos).

Edited by oscar toney
Social source share

wow, I dont remember the Mojo all-nighter in Leeds!..I was an older looking fourteen year old managing to get into the BeeGee, Keyhole club and various other Leeds Mod related clubs & coffee bars, but cant remember that one!

Malc, do you know Bernard Fernnell , Derek Barnett, Rick Vaughan and Colin Vernon then? What about Mick Eastwood and Denis Billingham who opened Hernies in Harehills(the old Hernandos).

HI OT,

I VAGUELY KNOW SOME OF THESE GUYS FROM THOSE DAYS BUT MICK EASTWOOD IS THE ONE BEST KNOWN TO ME AND HE OCCASIONALLY TURNS UP AT SOME SOUL EVENTS ALONG WITH PETE DILLON. I TOO FREQUENTED THE SAME VENUES ALTHOUGH THE BEE GEE WAS COMING TO ITS END JUST AS I STARTED OUT ON MY SOULFUL JOURNEY. THE CENTRAL SOUL CLUB WAS THE PLACE FOR ME FROM ABOUT 1970 ONWARDS.

ROY

Social source share

I remember Derek Tamala Barnett - he used to cut my hair when he was upstairs in the arcade, almost next door to the orginal Jumbo Records. Also whatever happened to Stew Marvin - he used to del with Rick Vaughn as I recall.

Social source share

It was not an all - nighter Peter , just a one - off all - dayer that Stringfellow staged at The Queens' Hall , on the Whit Monday in June 1968 .

Getting into The Keyhole Club at 14 : I am impressed . Either that tw*t of a doorman was a relation of yours , or you must have looked old then :D

I have not heard the name of Derek Barnett for 40 years . I had many a good night in his company . Is he still around , and more so , wielding those scissors ? . Derek's establishment was not the place you went to if you wanted a quick trim :ohmy:

I did know the other guys you mention , again they are names I have not heard for the same number of years Peter : are they still around ? .

Somebody told me a while back that Mick still goes to nights . As for Denis and Hernies - enough said :lol:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

It was not an all - nighter Peter , just a one - off all - dayer that Stringfellow staged at The Queens' Hall , on the Whit Monday in June 1968 .

Getting into The Keyhole Club at 14 : I am impressed . Either that tw*t of a doorman was a relation of yours , or you must have looked old then biggrin.gif

I have not heard the name of Derek Barnett for 40 years . I had many a good night in his company . Is he still around , and more so , wielding those scissors ? . Derek's establishment was not the place you went to if you wanted a quick trim :D

I did know the other guys you mention , again they are names I have not heard for the same number of years Peter : are they still around ? .

Somebody told me a while back that Mick still goes to nights . As for Denis and Hernies - enough said wink.gif

Malc

Derek stopped hairdressing around 1980 I think, last heard of in Denby Dale selling insurance! Spot on about the long days spent in Dereks shop-Character Hairdressing by Derek 'Tamala' Barnett..!! See Mick Eastwood all the time, I have ventured to the Wheel and other various Soul clubs over the last few years with him..not really all-nighters as such. He was at Kenny Colemans 60'th with Denis a few month back. Denis has been living in Cornwall, but back in Apperly Bridge now. Rick Vaughan last heard of in Thailand apparently. Not a surprise really ! Rob Lamoigne is now a millionaire in California, Mick went out to see him a few years back . I did exchange emails with Pete Brent a while back in an attempt to get hold of some rare pics of the Spinning Disc but not heard much since..he was planning a book but dont know where he got with it. If you have any old pics from those days would love to see them.

Hernies was a great short-lived club IMO could have been a legendary all-nighter if it had survived. I was the coffee bar person, making the worst coffee in the world, but what a job..loved it..were you there the night it was raided ?

Pete

Edited by oscar toney
Social source share

If my memory serves me correctly, the Exciters were live in the tram shed, International Soul Club Gig? wasnt there a small fire at the back as well?

I think this is the one I remember as I printed our tickets to get in with and they were on gold card which was a bugger to get hold of.

Social source share

Derek stopped hairdressing around 1980 I think, last heard of in Denby Dale selling insurance! Spot on about the long days spent in Dereks shop-Character Hairdressing by Derek 'Tamala' Barnett..!! See Mick Eastwood all the time, I have ventured to the Wheel and other various Soul clubs over the last few years with him..not really all-nighters as such. He was at Kenny Colemans 60'th with Denis a few month back. Denis has been living in Cornwall, but back in Apperly Bridge now. Rick Vaughan last heard of in Thailand apparently. Not a surprise really ! Rob Lamoigne is now a millionaire in California, Mick went out to see him a few years back . I did exchange emails with Pete Brent a while back in an attempt to get hold of some rare pics of the Spinning Disc but not heard much since..he was planning a book but dont know where he got with it. If you have any old pics from those days would love to see them.

Hernies was a great short-lived club IMO could have been a legendary all-nighter if it had survived. I was the coffee bar person, making the worst coffee in the world, but what a job..loved it..were you there the night it was raided ?

Pete

" Character Hairdressing " : I had forgotten that slogan Peter :lol: . I once went in and asked Derek to cut my hair like Andy Fairweather Low : he told me after doing it that it took willpower not to cut it like Arthur Lowe :D

Rick in Thailand - that will be " The King Charles And I " then :lol:

Rob Lamoigne - another name I have not heard for years : how did he makes his millions ..... travelling gigalo ?

Sorry Peter , but I do not have any photographs of those days ; I wish I had . Pictured below , is the only one I have , and that came from a website . I did have three photographs on a " strip " , which were from the four taken for my Keyhole Club card , but I cannot find them for love nor money .

I liked Hernie's . So you were responsible for my gippy guts after drinking it :yes: . in respect of the raid , thankfully I was not in attendance that night , as I would have definately had my collar felt ....... if you get my drift :thumbsup:

Malc

post-5097-0-27212200-1292523178_thumb.jp

Social source share

A very strange All Nighter indeed. At the time, I was signed to the Burton- Daniels agency in Newcastle U Lyme.

I faced a dilemma that night as I was booked to DJ along with Keith Minshull and Hunter Smith(owner of Jumbo records) as my contract stated I worked for ISC allowing me to work at Wigan Casino.

Problem....they were both on the same night.

My shoes were covered in elephant dung due to a Circus appearing several days before!

I ended up doing the Casino at 5am that night. Russ was not pleased!

I do remember The Funky Sisters on the bill (not the same as the Aurora group)

A weird experience for a 17 yr old.

Kev

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

A very strange All Nighter indeed. At the time, I was signed to the Burton- Daniels agency in Newcastle U Lyme.

I faced a dilemma that night as I was booked to DJ along with Keith Minshull and Hunter Smith(owner of Jumbo records) as my contract stated I worked for ISC allowing me to work at Wigan Casino.

My shoes were covered in elephant dung due to a Circus appearing several days before!

Kev

:thumbsup:

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Hunter Smith still runs Jumbo Records in Leeds..been buying music from his shop since around 1971-ish..

Kev

Social source share

Ive got that pic myself plus another similar one which I'll add to my gallery. There are a few old pics on there if you want to look, Malc

" Character Hairdressing " : I had forgotten that slogan Peter biggrin.gif . I once went in and asked Derek to cut my hair like Andy Fairweather Low : he told me after doing it that it took willpower not to cut it like Arthur Lowe :thumbsup:

Rick in Thailand - that will be " The King Charles And I " then :ohmy:

Rob Lamoigne - another name I have not heard for years : how did he makes his millions ..... travelling gigalo ?

Sorry Peter , but I do not have any photographs of those days ; I wish I had . Pictured below , is the only one I have , and that came from a website . I did have three photographs on a " strip " , which were from the four taken for my Keyhole Club card , but I cannot find them for love nor money .

I liked Hernie's . So you were responsible for my gippy guts after drinking it biggrin.gif . in respect of the raid , thankfully I was not in attendance that night , as I would have definately had my collar felt ....... if you get my drift :sweatingbullets:

Malc

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Kev

Even wierder for a 15 year old.rolleyes.gif

Do remember JJ and Major and The Exciters???

Memorable though , not least on the way back seeing a wheel overtake my mates car, turned out to be one of ours.

Hats off to the guy who invented the hard shoulder,

The only other memories are thinking it was like being in the middle of a cross between the Casino and in the Stretford end.........

Social source share

I was at the Queen Hall in 1974, I remember seeing Mel & Tim, JJ Barnes, Major Lance etc.

I'll never forget that huge hall, the dreadful accoustics and buying loads of OOTP pressings.

But I don't think Jr Walker & The All-Stars were there. It's a long time ago and I was only 15 but I think I would have remembered. I first saw Jr Walker a couple of years later when I did a guest spot at one of Terry Samson's all-dayers at the Cat's Whiskers in Meanwood, Leeds. He had just left Motown and I interviewed him for Black Echoes. I think Pat Brady was there.

In the back of my mind I thought I saw The Exciters at The Queens Hall but I think I'm getting mixed up. Where would I have seen The Exciters at in those days???

Great memories but in reality the Queens Hall event was poor because of the sound problems.

Social source share

jnr walker played at the cats whiskers,meanwood leeds ??

Correctomundo. That was the Leeds Jnr Walker gig. I remember it well 'cos I managed to total my car that same weekend on the way back from Cleethorpes I think.

Still made it to the Cats Whiskers though. It's not everyday you DJ at a Jnr Walker gig is it? :thumbsup:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Ive got that pic myself plus another similar one which I'll add to my gallery. There are a few old pics on there if you want to look, Malc

Nice photographs Peter :thumbsup:

Malc

Social source share

Jnr Walker deffo played at one of the Leeds Queens Hall allnighters because it was the only time I saw the great man.

I remember he wouldn't do an encore despite about 15 minutes of calling for one, it later transpired it was his third show of the night and he was exhausted, I also remember some booing when he wouldn't return.

Blake

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Uncle Malc

What a crackin description.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peter burke

Jnr Walker deffo played at one of the Leeds Queens Hall allnighters because it was the only time I saw the great man.

I remember he wouldn't do an encore despite about 15 minutes of calling for one, it later transpired it was his third show of the night and he was exhausted, I also remember some booing when he wouldn't return.

Blake

Definitely ISC event as I've still got the corrected flyer they put out shortly after announcing the line up as they'd originally included a photo of the Temptations in error.

Was the first "nighter I went to with my mate Kevin Kerry from Brighouse maybe aged15/16, think my Mum packed us off with sandwiches!

Definitely Junior Walker & The All Stars, think his son was on drums or keyboard, Edwin Starr (wore his white spangly all in one as on the War & Peace album cover), and the Detroit Emeralds.

Took Karen to Burnley Cats Whiskers Dayer a few years later where Edwin Starr was appearing and was really disappointed when he turns up in jeans and denim waistcoat as I still had the image of him in his white spangly all in one!

Think he'd done Wigan the night before though so fair dosthumbsup.gif

I recollect doing another nighter at QH a year or 2 later, no live artists, sort of low gym style benches arranged around part of the stone floor to fashion a dance floor and bloody freezing.

Pete

Social source share

Definitely ISC event as I've still got the corrected flyer they put out shortly after announcing the line up as they'd originally included a photo of the Temptations in error.

Was the first "nighter I went to with my mate Kevin Kerry from Brighouse maybe aged15/16, think my Mum packed us off with sandwiches!

Definitely Junior Walker & The All Stars, think his son was on drums or keyboard, Edwin Starr (wore his white spangly all in one as on the War & Peace album cover), and the Detroit Emeralds.

Took Karen to Burnley Cats Whiskers Dayer a few years later where Edwin Starr was appearing and was really disappointed when he turns up in jeans and denim waistcoat as I still had the image of him in his white spangly all in one!

Think he'd done Wigan the night before though so fair dosthumbsup.gif

I recollect doing another nighter at QH a year or 2 later, no live artists, sort of low gym style benches arranged around part of the stone floor to fashion a dance floor and bloody freezing.

Pete

JW's son - Autry DeWalt Jr ( I could never work it out , as JW's real name was Autry DeWalt Jr , so was / is his son " Junior Junior " ? biggrin.gif ) played the drums in The All Stars line up that backed him at the time .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest bluestu

Hi, I remember it well, bloody freezing one the best shows in town at the time,the line up as i remember .jnr walker, major lance,velvelletts,jj barnes, soul sisters after the it becomes a bit foggy i do know there was a cafe which was a ripoff.

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone go to a Leeds All dayer (central hall??) - all I remember is Junior Walker playing - tell me more?

I thought I'd managed to suppress the memory of this nighter but then I had the misfortune to read this and slowly it came back, the concrete floor, the sound system, a vast echoing shed, acts you couldn't hear.....aahhh no more.......

Anyway a look through some Blues and Soul magazines for 1974 produced the ad for it and OMG I was a DJ there. So I'd like to offer my sincere apologies to anyone who was there. Now I'll have to have some therapy to try to forget it again.

Rick

post-16601-0-22255400-1343931762_thumb.j

Social source share

Photo of poster attached just for reference. The original poster is stored, her indoors got this made for my birthday and the original was scanned an put into a frame for posterity. Saw one of the posters go for £220 a few years back on JM auction

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

If my memory serves me correctly, the Exciters were live in the tram shed, International Soul Club Gig? wasnt there a small fire at the back as well?

I think this is the one I remember as I printed our tickets to get in with and they were on gold card which was a bugger to get hold of.

I think you're right about the Exciters at the all-dayer in the tram depot & iirc, also either or both of Johnnie Johnson & Bandwagon and Flaming Ember.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert