Uk Stax Label Anomoly?

Denbo

Sebastian,

Do you own these records as vinyl too? Or, do you collect label scans and these are part of your collection?

I notice you're always very helpful and forthcoming when it comes to information like this and you very often support your facts with scans.

Collecting scans of labels is nearly as attractive as collecting the vinyl but has it's obvious shortcomings.

Do you have everything collated for easy access?

The five scans I posted above are from records that I have sold during the past couple of months on eBay. I save the scans and soundclips of everything I sell.

I'd love to keep everything I find, but sadly can't afford to do that.

I see no reason NOT to be helpful when it comes to these things, it's just facts/info and we all benifit from learning new stuff. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• Replies 62
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just found a bunch of dutch 45s here in a pile and realised that it ISN'T an S and an A on each side of the Treble/G-clef in the "copyright control" logo.

It is # and b which makes sense.

I.e. figures that are used when writing notes/chords:

A A# Ab

C C# Cb

etc.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Mine has 670 as part of a matrix stamp number

A side AA 2025 069 1W1 670

B side AA 2025 069 2W1 670

We can FINALLY put this thread to bed :sleep3::yes:

Got my son to go check the details in the runout grooves of my Stax 45 and they read the same as yours. Which means, according to Sebastian, that we have "Dutch" - "Made In Holland" releases.

Whis is odd really. I mean, why would all the copyright stuff around the rim of the label be printed in English?

But whatever . . . . . . . problem solved.

That's a QED.

Thanks Seb. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Which means, according to Sebastian, that we have "Dutch" - "Made In Holland" releases.

Whis is odd really. I mean, why would all the copyright stuff around the rim of the label be printed in English?

It is indeed odd, but the pressing plants using the 670 / 690 / 710 etc. country codes were owned by Philips (who handled Polydor, Mercury, Fontana etc.) and it seems like the plants in the different european countries sometimes used labels from the same source.

There are for example hundreds of norwegian pressings on Polydor with copyright text in german on the label despite the record being pressed in Norway (with country code 710 in the run-out).

Norway and Holland often used the same blank labels for the Fontana 45s.

The UK issue of that Isaac Hayes 45 was handled by Polydor (owned by Philips), so it's likely that the blank labels were made in the UK and shipped out to their "sister"-pressing plant in Holland.

Social source share

It is indeed odd, but the pressing plants using the 670 / 690 / 710 etc. country codes were owned by Philips (who handled Polydor, Mercury, Fontana etc.) and it seems like the plants in the different european countries sometimes used labels from the same source.

There are for example hundreds of norwegian pressings on Polydor with copyright text in german on the label despite the record being pressed in Norway (with country code 710 in the run-out).

Norway and Holland often used the same blank labels for the Fontana 45s.

The UK issue of that Isaac Hayes 45 was handled by Polydor (owned by Philips), so it's likely that the blank labels were made in the UK and shipped out to their "sister"-pressing plant in Holland.

Yes, and I noticed that the label scans of the Dutch labels you posted had the copyright text in English as well.

I have a few Dutch label releases, inc Tamla Motown, Chess, and Cameo Parkway.

Except for the Dutch Deram label I have, why are they all coloured orange?

I know that their national strips for sports are generally all orange, as in the Dutch football team, but why the labels too?

Social source share

I have a few Dutch label releases, inc Tamla Motown, Chess, and Cameo Parkway.

Except for the Dutch Deram label I have, why are they all coloured orange?

I know that their national strips for sports are generally all orange, as in the Dutch football team, but why the labels too?

That I have no idea about. ph34r.gif

But I do have a dutch Colpix 45 with black labels though, and I've seen dutch Deram 45s with the "usual" orange/light-brown label as well.

EDIT: I just googled "holland orange" and got this:

"Orange is the color of the Dutch Royal Family. [...] But while the color orange has royal roots in the Netherlands, today it symbolizes a broader pride in the country and in being Dutch."

That might have something to do with it?

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

weird, so if both the copies pictured have the same run out groove info & identical labels but were pressed in Holland why would a UK store have to stock a Dutch press as a new release back in the day? Also what was the norm for dutch 45s? Large or small centre holes? I don't know if I've ever owned any dutch pressings with small centre holes ala that supposed Australian copy above. Confusing stuff.

Social source share

so if both the copies pictured have the same run out groove info & identical labels but were pressed in Holland why would a UK store have to stock a Dutch press as a new release back in the day?

That UK store probably got them cheap or (more likely) their regular UK distributor was out of stock and the store had to import copies from elsewhere to satisy the demand from customers.

Also what was the norm for dutch 45s? Large or small centre holes? I don't know if I've ever owned any dutch pressings with small centre holes ala that supposed Australian copy above. Confusing stuff.

They didn't have a norm. Dutch 45s from the 60s and 70s can be found with both small and big centre holes, they didn't stick to just one variant.

Social source share

. :thumbsup:

English is taught as a second language in the Netherlands, which means the Dutch are just as fluent in English as they are their own language. When I went to Holland, records were kept mainly in two separate areas; general European music, and Dutch pop/folk music. Even the Dutch artistes' records credits were English, apart from the title of some folk records of course!

Would love to know which country this frightening looking cover comes from!

post-953-059461700 1277454054_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert