• Replies 62
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest john s

Looks more like ex-UK colony to me. That 'copyright control' thing is never UK - South Africa, New Zealand, maybe?

Social source share

New Zealand press is quite different (or as different as a still yellow label stax 45 can get), so not NZ. Australian ones usually say Australia. The German Stax 45s I've seen didn't have the label edge writing in English. I agree that it is weird not having a more solid clue. That copyright control stamp is really familiar.

Social source share

Oo, now that's a possibility. :D

Wouldn't have thought so to be honest, Tony and Denbo. Irish pressings of records looked deadly similar to their British counterparts - looked and felt the same, and even had the same types of centres (quite similar to Indian pressings of UK records).

I think it's more likely to be European IMO (eg, Germany or Holland).

Social source share

Wouldn't have thought so to be honest, Tony and Denbo. Irish pressings of records looked deadly similar to their British counterparts - looked and felt the same, and even had the same types of centres (quite similar to Indian pressings of UK records).

I think it's more likely to be European IMO (eg, Germany or Holland).

Yeah, but why is the copyright stuff etc in English?

I have a Tami Lynn 'I'm Gonna Run Away etc. . . ' on Irish Polydor, which is only similar to the English Polydor and has no 'Made in England' on it like the English release. So, Irish Stax could be a possibility.

Steve G might be able to help if and when he sends in scans of his German Stax releases.

Social source share

Yeah, but why is the copyright stuff etc in English?

I have a Tami Lynn 'I'm Gonna Run Away etc. . . ' on Irish Polydor, which is only similar to the English Polydor and has no 'Made in England' on it like the English release. So, Irish Stax could be a possibility.

Steve G might be able to help if and when he sends in scans of his German Stax releases.

What does that bit in the box say?

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I recognise that square emblem on the right, underneath the serial number from when I used to work as a buyer in record retail... Possibly Spanish or Portuguese, I seem to think.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

I recognise that square emblem on the right, underneath the serial number from when I used to work as a buyer in record retail... Possibly Spanish or Portuguese, I seem to think.

To which scan are you referring?

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I would have thought Aus or SA issues would have had solid centres, Pete. Could also be Dutch IMO.

I have exactly the same copy as the one in question, but with a solid centre, sorry no scanner, but attached a photo. i always thought it was aussie, but perhaps SA or Rhodesian

Could it be possible that denbo's centre has been cut out?

post-10426-059966600 1277364835_thumb.jp

Edited by julesp1905
Social source share

yep, Australian press which has been dinked. case closed.

Hey, I'LL decide on whether or not this case is closed. :yes:

For instance, how do you explain how an Australian copy of the record was bought by me, when it came out, at a new release record sales shop here in the UK?

Case NOT YET closed. :thumbsup:

Having said that, that last scan of the label is the closest / almost the same as mine.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Hey, I'LL decide on whether or not this case is closed. :yes:

For instance, how do you explain how an Australian copy of the record was bought by me, when it came out, at a new release record sales shop here in the UK?

Case NOT YET closed. :thumbsup:

Having said that, that last scan of the label is the closest / almost the same as mine.

Is your label flat, or does it have a sloped incline towards the centre?

I have always thought mine to be aussie, it is quite possible that they were pressed in the UK for the OZ market, hence no country of origin printed on the label, export copy perhaps? certainly not meant for UK distribution, but not saying that some couldn't have ended up being sold here

Social source share

Guest son of stan

To which scan are you referring?

To yours. But since it looks identical to the Australian one, it may be entirely possible that I am talking through my jacksee..... again.

Social source share

To yours. But since it looks identical to the Australian one, it may be entirely possible that I am talking through my jacksee..... again.

Possibly :thumbsup::yes:

Right, that's it, case closed. I'm going to call it an Aussie release, despite buying it over the counter here in the UK.

Must be one of those pressed for export that never got exported. :sleep3:

Social source share

Regarding the supposedly australian copy:

What can be found in the run-out grooves?

Is the info scratched or stamped?

Can any of the following numbers be found anywhere:

P71

:thumbsup:

You're not about to give in so easily are you?

I will check when I get home at the weekend and get back to you.

What is the significance of those numbers in the run-out grooves?

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Regarding the supposedly australian copy:

What can be found in the run-out grooves?

Is the info scratched or stamped?

Can any of the following numbers be found anywhere:

P71

:thumbsup:

Mine has 670 as part of a matrix stamp number

A side AA 2025 069 1W1 670

B side AA 2025 069 2W1 670

Social source share

Mine has 670 as part of a matrix stamp number

A side AA 2025 069 1W1 670

B side AA 2025 069 2W1 670

670 is the code for a pressing plant in Holland / Netherlands.

If the matrix info on your copy is machine stamped, then your 45 is definitely pressed in Holland.

I've got another 45 right in front of me which reads "Made in Holland" on the label and its a-side matrix number is:

AA 6059 206 1W1 670

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

It is Australian.....or pressed for the Aussie market anyway. The Copyright Contol box with the Treble Clef in it on the righthand side of the discs is a state of South Australia mark (was then anyway). You can see the S and the A on either side of the clef.

Social source share

More of the same:

post-1392-042996600 1277377160_thumb.jpg post-1392-088523400 1277377185_thumb.jpg post-1392-051608900 1277377314_thumb.jpg

Sebastian,

Do you own these records as vinyl too? Or, do you collect label scans and these are part of your collection?

I notice you're always very helpful and forthcoming when it comes to information like this and you very often support your facts with scans.

Collecting scans of labels is nearly as attractive as collecting the vinyl but has it's obvious shortcomings.

Do you have everything collated for easy access?

Social source share

It is Australian.....or pressed for the Aussie market anyway. The Copyright Contol box with the Treble Clef in it on the righthand side of the discs is a state of South Australia mark (was then anyway). You can see the S and the A on either side of the clef.

Could the S and the A stand for South Africa instead?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert