100 Club From Late 1990's - Live Recordings

I'm just transfering cassettes to digital formatt.

Some really nice sounds from 1996 to 1999 with Ady, Butch, Clarkie, Mick Smith etc.

Where should I upload them on here for people to listen to?

Thanks.

Ian

Just found some stuff from 1990 too!

Edited by ian williams
Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm just transfering cassettes to digital formatt.

Some really nice sounds from 1996 to 1999 with Ady, Butch, Clarkie, Mick Smith etc.

Where should I upload them on here for people to listen to?

Thanks.

In soul audio source in refo-soule forum please Ian,any with me on ?:laugh:its switched off at the moment :sad:

Social source share

Guest steve64

. Got some stuff from Drummonds too, pre 100 Club warm up venue somewhere - cant remember where tho!

Was Drummonds above a pub across the road from Kings Cross station in the Euston Road

Social source share

. Got some stuff from Drummonds too, pre 100 Club warm up venue somewhere - cant remember where tho!

Was Drummonds above a pub across the road from Kings Cross station in the Euston Road

Yup - Thats the place I used to go to

Big green sign - used to be upstairs if i remember

gawd - that was 20 years plus ago

Social source share

Yup - Thats the place I used to go to

Big green sign - used to be upstairs if i remember

gawd - that was 20 years plus ago

Might be in these tapes then laugh.gif

med_gallery_1986_2633_51134.jpg

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Yes, it was above a boozer - just opposite Euston Station. It wasn't a 100 Club warm up, though. It used to take place on a Friday night, if I remember correctly. Offshoot of the all nighters at the Unicorn Club in Leighton Buzzard, I think. More like 25 years ago. OMG. Where does the time go?

Social source share

I don't think Clarkie was playing there as late as 1996. The first time I went was 1997 and wasn't part of the team then. The two warm up do's I remember were Devil's Den in a pun behind Selridges run by Terry and Ivor Jones and The Water rats by Kings Cross - both excellent events in their own right. The 100 Club was playing some great stuff then too - unreleased RCA, Ben E. King plus well chosen oldies.

Social source share

I have about 8 tapes from this era. See if you can identify who the DJ was on the below from 1990.

"You Need Love"

"I Don't Wanna Cry No More" Dave Charles (before I knew the real title!)

"The Harlem Tremble" Frank Foster (with the dj saying this was the first time playing it out)

"You'll Always Be In Style" Patti Austin

etc etc

Later on I switch the tape off and put it back on at the 100 Club (this is 1990.... ) and there is

Yuan Williams (or Wang Williams) with the Mailbox cover up...

Its great stuff - I'm loving listening to it again!

Recording it all onto i tunes on my pc.

It you want copies let me know, its no problem.

Ian

Social source share

That sounds like it could have been moi...................

Russ

On the James Brown - (you) or whoever ask the crowd to "give it a chance" ........

Either cos of it's slow start.........or perhaps you didnt trust your judgement.......:D

I play this one out all the time by the way as a result of hearing it then!

Social source share

That sounds like it could have been moi...................

Russ

On the James Brown - (you) or whoever ask the crowd to "give it a chance" ........

Either cos of it's slow start.........or perhaps you didnt trust your judgement.......:sweatingbullets:

I play this one out all the time by the way as a result of hearing it then!

Yep, thats me...........can I get a copy please............BTW I trust my judgement, but you have to understand back then at the 100 Club these were risky plays & not well known at the time.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I have about 8 tapes from this era. See if you can identify who the DJ was on the below from 1990.

"You Need Love"

"I Don't Wanna Cry No More" Dave Charles (before I knew the real title!)

"The Harlem Tremble" Frank Foster (with the dj saying this was the first time playing it out)

"You'll Always Be In Style" Patti Austin

etc etc

Later on I switch the tape off and put it back on at the 100 Club (this is 1990.... ) and there is

Yuan Williams (or Wang Williams) with the Mailbox cover up...

Its great stuff - I'm loving listening to it again!

Recording it all onto i tunes on my pc.

It you want copies let me know, its no problem.

Ian

Sounds like Shifty, maybe a little too early for him tho', altho he did end up with the Patti Austin, think Dean Anderson owned it before Shifty (?) so maybe Dean...........& Juan Williams was not a cover up..........played by Ady at the 100 Club occasionally years before it got real recognition.

As an aside, the PA was an acetate & wasnt credited, so might not be her anyway, if my memory serves me right ?.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Yes, it was above a boozer - just opposite Euston Station. It wasn't a 100 Club warm up, though. It used to take place on a Friday night, if I remember correctly. Offshoot of the all nighters at the Unicorn Club in Leighton Buzzard, I think. More like 25 years ago. OMG. Where does the time go?

Jon Buck used to run nights there but so did others among them Rob Messer or so I've been told. I was taking a break at that point :thumbsup:

The pub is still there & now owned by Oneils but is opposite St Pancras not Euston which is further up the road . The upstairs room was turned into a fringe theatre after Drummonds before reverting to it's previous use as a function room & we used it for Solid Hit for about 18 months. Was a brilliant venue until some arse decided to cover the stage with carpet, install 3 massive booths that you kinda lean against, stuck a couple of columns on the dance floor & brought in a stack of tables & chairs & called it a restaurant. Basically it became a grotty souless room where you could buy food from the downstairs menu & nobody bothered to go to. I've popped in a few times since & the most that have been enjoying the dining experience sat in front of a giant tv screen has been 3 people.....what a waste :sweatingbullets:

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Nah I think he's gone by then.

I can vaguely remember Clarky turning up quite late one night, He was really pissed off as there was nowhere for him to put out his sales boxes. He was still DJing at the time but gave up soon afterwards - i honestly think that night helped make up his mind to stop DJing at the 100 Club.

Can't remember the year but it must have been very early 90s.

Mark C wink.gif

Social source share

chalky

Russ, it sounds more like Rob Marriott from the list Ian gave.

On the latest tape I've just copied Butch dedicates The Temptones c/u to him...

looking forward to hearing these tapes Ian. Have you put them to cd? If so any chance of a copy?. I'll have to get mine from 80's out of the garage and get them up here. I did some copies for Ady when he was doing 100 Club for Kent or some similar project, Ian Clark spinning Bobby Rich last record I remember form them.

Social source share

You sure? I though it went to Butch, know he still has it. There are couple of others :thumbsup:

Ok mate, just spoke to Allen...........he sold it to Carl F, not sure what happened to it after that, but from what you say can only assume Butch has it now ? & yes, it was an uncredited acetate, so the Patti Austin title is for play purposes.

Best Russ

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Might be in these tapes then laugh.gif

med_gallery_1986_2633_51134.jpg

Oh my God! That's my arse! I can prove it too as I just showed it (the flyer) to my girlfriend and she immediately recognised it (my arse). In the background is Ion the Greek and his unmistakable lean-back dance style!

Always went to Drummonds back then and I remember that flyer - probably still have it somewhere!

Arse is bigger nowadays unfortunately! LOL!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert