Appreciations - Its Better To Cry

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mart B

yep id agree with Tony on that never seen many demos although sport put a a fair few out[ON OTHER DISCS]-tis a timeless classic this record !!

BAZ A

Echoe that Baz.... bloody quality mate.

Social source share

There other stone cold classic she never really loved me never gets the plaudits and its equally as brill with a bloody great great flip imo -place in my heart-out of all the sport releases this to me has best feel to it along with easier said than done [the brill intro] and really for a detroit cut from that time is not really indicative of the traditional drums in the background detroit realeases from the same areas at the time.No wonder the majors were gathering like vultures at the time!!

BAZ A

Social source share

Had a listen to it Baz, really nice!!

Just clicked onto what Tony was saying about duplicate numbers - Its better to cry has the same release number as - Easier said than done - Sport 111.... How did that happen? Was it because as you said Tony that Amy, Mala etc were to be used as distributors and the numbering got mixed up....

Social source share

Had a listen to it Baz, really nice!!

Just clicked onto what Tony was saying about duplicate numbers - Its better to cry has the same release number as - Easier said than done - Sport 111.... How did that happen? Was it because as you said Tony that Amy, Mala etc were to be used as distributors and the numbering got mixed up....

Yes mate, the last two Four Sonics releases were pressed by Amy-Mala-Bell, this is probably when duplication ocurred, though "It Takes Two" also came out on the yellow Sport label with matrix numbers just before the Appreciations release.

Social source share

THINK WHAT HAPPENED WAS, SPORT 110, YOU DONT HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME, MADE A BIT OF NOISE NATIONALLY SO WAS PICKED UP FOR NATIONAL DISTRIBUTION BY AMY/MALA/BELL, SO STRIKING WHILST THE IRON WAS RELITIVELY HOT THEY QUICKLY RELEASED THE FOLLOW UP SPORT 111, EASIER SAID THAN DONE...NOT REALISING THAT SPORT HAD ALREADY RELEASED 111 LOCALLY IN DETROIT. ALSO STRANGE THAT IT'S BETTER TO CRY SPORT 111 LOCAL RELEASE ISNT EVEN A DETROIT RECORDING HAVING BEEN RECORDED ON THEIR TRAVELS, WHERE IS NOT CERTAIN MAYBE BOBA OR SOMEBODY CAN TELL US.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

thas interesting re 111 [cry] always had me suspicions that was cut elswhere-anyone got some of the line ups of the appreciations and the dramatics at the time ???

BAZ A

THINK WHAT HAPPENED WAS, SPORT 110, YOU DONT HAVE TO SAY YOU LOVE ME, MADE A BIT OF NOISE NATIONALLY SO WAS PICKED UP FOR NATIONAL DISTRIBUTION BY AMY/MALA/BELL, SO STRIKING WHILST THE IRON WAS RELITIVELY HOT THEY QUICKLY RELEASED THE FOLLOW UP SPORT 111, EASIER SAID THAN DONE...NOT REALISING THAT SPORT HAD ALREADY RELEASED 111 LOCALLY IN DETROIT. ALSO STRANGE THAT IT'S BETTER TO CRY SPORT 111 LOCAL RELEASE ISNT EVEN A DETROIT RECORDING HAVING BEEN RECORDED ON THEIR TRAVELS, WHERE IS NOT CERTAIN MAYBE BOBA OR SOMEBODY CAN TELL US.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to revive this thread a bit - Tony: where has it been covered in length? Can you point me the right direction? Anybody know who the band members were?

Also who played 'Its better to Cry' over here in the UK first, when and where and was it ever c/u'd?

Chalky, kind of thing you might be able to help with?

Cheers, Mark

Social source share

Guest trickbag

• grew up listening to these guys in Charlotte-WGIV--Vietnam separated them-
    Charles Harris, Horace Nichols,James DeBonair and Lewis Dowdy, and Melvin Robinson
    James died in 911 crash at¯»¿ the Pentagon
    info from jm video site.

ricky.

Social source share

I 'assumed' they were originally from the Carolinas (because of the Tempests bit) and that all 4 that I know of (2 Sport, 1 Aware and 1 Jubilee) were one and the same. Must admit though, haven't listened closely enough yet to the Aware / Jubilee ones but they do sound different. Even the two detroit label ones sound different - though no (?) reason to assume they aren't the same group - 'Cry' is a very beach arrangement (probably the Tempests backing influence of course) and 'Never' a more traditional Detroit arrangement. No biogs around though of the Appreciations (yet...) that I can find, anybody know if I missed any?

Again, also any ideas on which DJ played 'Its better to cry'out first and when/where?

Mark

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

Guest trickbag

mark_top.gifmark_bottom.gif By peterlowrie (217.137.176.24) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 10:53 am:

Sport 111 Appreciations it's better to cry / gimme back my soul ztsc 25881 / ztsc126882 the recording

comes from the Carloinas and nothing to do with Detroit written by Blake / Nieves from new York

Also 108 is by the same group.

I can't hide came out on Aware also a Detroit bases label.

soulful detroit.

ricky.

mark_bottom.gif

Social source share

I've seen the store stocker probably over 100 times. i've seen only a handful of the DJ issue. At least back in the day the promo was much rarer. However, I've seen that situation turn around in "modern times", with demo boxes being found and no additional store stock being found.

But, I'd say the DJ of this one is much rarer.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert