• Replies 27
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Andy Kempster

Not aware of any 'unreal' ones as far as I know. Light blue is the standard issue colour isn't it?

both i have seen are light blue but it is the text style that is different, one is bold block capitals and the other is a more italic style. i'll try and find some pics

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

both i have seen are light blue but it is the text style that is different, one is bold block capitals and the other is a more italic style. i'll try and find some pics

hopefully you can see these ok

post-1729-12767798949154.jpg

post-1729-12767799030226.jpg

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Know what you mean Andy now. Pretty sure both designs are proper. I'll have to check which mine is - Is there one with the stylised font too??

just dont want to go buying myself a boot, you know what i mean thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Chained & Bound got booted on OOTP. I'd be very surprised if Mine Was Real got booted but then I don't know everything!

Absolutley essential material from Rozetta. Be sure to get Paul Mooneys Selecta 45 with the above mentioned unissued track too. In fact the Soulscape CD of hers' is well worth getting if you don't have it already. Oh! and the 3 Hotlanta CD's put out by Kent! I'm getting giddy now....

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Neither of those are Boots, Andy.

Great tune written by Sam Dees wife, Lillian.

INCREDIBLE flipside too, in "Who You Gonna Love" - Sam Dees perfection!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

nice one Sean, I shall go and buy quite happily now

cheers...Andy

Social source share

There seems to be three designs on Mine Was Real, which are probably down to different pressing plants.

Clintone in block caitals with CT-001 and Pub Moonsong, Cotillion, BMI and time on the right hand side of the label inderneath the calalogue number (CL-20247 SP).

Clintone in stylised font with 45-001 and Pub Moonsong, Cotillion, BMI and time on the right hand side of the label inderneath the calalogue number (CL-20247-MO).

Clintone in stylised font with CT-001 on the right hand side of the label and the Pub Moonsong, Cotillion, BMI and time on the left hand side of the label (CL-20247-PL).

The production credits amd horn and string arrangements are all also in a different order on the three releases.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Chained & Bound got booted on OOTP. I'd be very surprised if Mine Was Real got booted but then I don't know everything!

Absolutley essential material from Rozetta. Be sure to get Paul Mooneys Selecta 45 with the above mentioned unissued track too. In fact the Soulscape CD of hers' is well worth getting if you don't have it already. Oh! and the 3 Hotlanta CD's put out by Kent! I'm getting giddy now....

i shall be checking these out, cheers thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Great info John. Thanks.

Will have to check which ones I have- I keep buying spares of Clintone 45s when I see 'em cheap. Why I don't know!

As Sean stated - the flip ' Who You Gonna Love' is just brilliant. Maybe my favourite of hers.

The Kent CD's cover the GMG / Aware / Clintone / Moonsong etc catalogues and just perfect and essential listening. For anyone mildy interested they are a great way of introducing all that is great about southern soul.

KENT CD's

SOULSCAPE

Fill yer boots!

Edited by harrogatesoul
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Great info John. Thanks.

Will have to check which ones I have- I keep buying spares of Clintone 45s when I see 'em cheap. Why I don't know!

As Sean stated - the flip ' Who You Gonna Love' is just brilliant. Maybe my favourite of hers.

The Kent CD's cover the GMG / Aware / Clintone / Moonsong etc catalogues and just perfect and essential listening. For anyone mildy interested they are a great way of introducing all that is great about southern soul.

KENT CD's

SOULSCAPE

Fill yer boots!

PM'D YOU

Social source share

A fantastic tune indeed, but that one is on the flipside to "I Can Feel My Love Comin' Down".

"A Woman's Way" (superb as well) is the flipside to "Mine Was Real".

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

No need Sean. Should have realised myself before jumping in. Maybe worth noting the below also got a release on Columbia. Issues being a little tricky to get as I usually see demos. There was also a great interview with her in an issue of In The Basement.

016 - Rozetta Johnson - It's Been So Nice b/w (I Like Making That) Early Morning Love

Social source share

No need Sean. Should have realised myself before jumping in. Maybe worth noting the below also got a release on Columbia. Issues being a little tricky to get as I usually see demos. There was also a great interview with her in an issue of In The Basement.

016 - Rozetta Johnson - It's Been So Nice b/w (I Like Making That) Early Morning Love

..and credited to ROSZETTA Johnson on Clintone and Columbia yes.gif

Social source share

it was a decent seller on clintone as well.got good distribution by atlantic. quality 45 tho. why it dont sell for more on the bay..... not sure, perhaps the majority still dont know it ?

dave

Absolutley Dave. But then quality + price doesn't always stack up does it? Great 45s at very cheap money OR absolute shi** 45s at loadsa money! And vice versa of course....It's never going to be an in-demander or wasn't played at some-venue-in-1979 so will never command the price. As you say sold quite well but the market for collecting such 45s is relatively small. (which is good if you like it then you don't have to pay through the nose!)Supply and demand i guess.

Social source share

Neither of those are Boots, Andy.

Great tune written by Sam Dees wife, Lillian.

INCREDIBLE flipside too, in "Who You Gonna Love" - Sam Dees perfection!

:rolleyes:

Sean

That is a brilliant record Sean , but it isn't the flip of " Mine was real " , it's actually " A womans way " , which is excellent as well .Hope you don't mind me correcting ......cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

'A Woman's Way' is actually the A side of this 45, BTW.

On the subject of 'Mine Was Real', there's also that version by somebody Pittman (with another Sam Dees tune on the other side) on Mannequin Records (I think - I'm doing this quickly and from memory). It has the same backing track as far as I can tell, but the (white) 'singer' - if that's the right word to describe her - is very poor.

It seems to be a vanity project, funded by some sugar daddy for Miss Pittman, whose picture is on the label.

Best avoided unless you're a hard core Dees collector.

Social source share

'A Woman's Way' is actually the A side of this 45, BTW.

On the subject of 'Mine Was Real', there's also that version by somebody Pittman (with another Sam Dees tune on the other side) on Mannequin Records (I think - I'm doing this quickly and from memory). It has the same backing track as far as I can tell, but the (white) 'singer' - if that's the right word to describe her - is very poor.

It seems to be a vanity project, funded by some sugar daddy for Miss Pittman, whose picture is on the label.

Best avoided unless you're a hard core Dees collector.

Its Sylvia Pittman and its pants, but thats not saying that some will class it as blue eyed soul and start putting a high price on it, like other white soulless versions that have been discussed in the past.ph34r.gif

Social source share

Top Top Toon and one I play out, also a Blue Skies favourite. Will be playing it at Cheap as Chips for deff.yes.gif Paid about £25 for demo a few years ago

QoFxx

post-2137-12768777317888_thumb.jpg

post-2137-12768777404687_thumb.jpg

Labels a bit tatty for the chin strokers but plays fine

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Its Sylvia Pittman and its pants, but thats not saying that some will class it as blue eyed soul and start putting a high price on it, like other white soulless versions that have been discussed in the past.ph34r.gif

and the the side has 'potential as it is also another Dees effort and a dancer by Bill Brandon 'Whatever I Am'.

Both sides are awful but I have it because it is Sam Dees - sad as I am. I think there is a story behind it - Sean H ? Ithink was going to tell me - I'll ask him at Just soul

Mike

Social source share

Nice to see this thread.

When I released 'Mine Was Real' on the flip side of the previously unissued 'You Better Keep What You Got' (Shotgun SHOT 102) in 2007 I was amazed at how many people weren't familiar with it.

I put it on the flip side just because I'd always liked it so much and I thought it deserved more attention. I had always wondered why it wasn't so well known on the scene, considering the obvious potential it has.

By the way, the different US issues on Clintone are all legal. Atlantic used different pressing plants in each region (such as Specialty, Monarch, Plastic Products etc) and each plant did their own processing from duplicates of the same lacquers. Each plant also arranged label printing, that's why there are different pressing and print styles.

'Make It Real' was credited to Lillian Dees (who is now deceased) but there's no doubt Sam wrote it. Sometimes his wife may have helped or made suggestions, other times he just used her name as a kind of tribute.

As for Rozetta (or Roszetta as she calls herself), she wasn't very well when I last spoke with her. I hope she's doing better and I'll give her a call to find out.

Best regards,

Paul

www.selectarecords.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert