Blue Rock

• Replies 107
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I love how your record is stamped with legendary (and recently deceased) DJ Richard Stamz' address

Hi shame on me I never knew who that was ( just didnt look at close enough ! ) Thanks for the info I appreciate it , wonder if his family would like to have it back ?

Steve h

Social source share

Hi shame on me I never knew who that was ( just didnt look at close enough ! ) Thanks for the info I appreciate it , wonder if his family would like to have it back ?

Steve h

he was selling off his records in the last 5 years before he died, I doubt his daughter would want it back. It probably came from his house if you got it recently. He was like 100 years old when he died, it was amazing to talk to him about Chicago because he was on the south side since it was stockyards. Once he was telling me a story about someone he was hanging out with and he paused trying to remember the person in the story, he was like "the guy who could run really fast" and I was like "jesse owens?" and he said yes. I couldn't believe someone was telling me a story about hanging out with jesse owens.

Social source share

I like the flip side to this one alsoyes.gif

post-5094-12765483702309_thumb.jpg

My copy is just a white promo, but I just thought I'd include this scan - 'for the record'

Apparently, the 'Dont Go Away' track was originally released on the SMASH label, but with a different flip

Social source share

he was selling off his records in the last 5 years before he died, I doubt his daughter would want it back. It probably came from his house if you got it recently. He was like 100 years old when he died, it was amazing to talk to him about Chicago because he was on the south side since it was stockyards. Once he was telling me a story about someone he was hanging out with and he paused trying to remember the person in the story, he was like "the guy who could run really fast" and I was like "jesse owens?" and he said yes. I couldn't believe someone was telling me a story about hanging out with jesse owens.

I picked it up off ebay about a year ago so somebody must have got it and popped it on there . Christ 100 thats not a bad run . It is amazing the tales told . I was in Chicago a few years ago in Past Times when a guy came into the shop wanted to meet us . It was a guy called Richard Pegue , believe he had some links with the Penny & Nickel labels now has a radio show at WVON . he invited us to his show on a fri night . We where picked up by a guy from the hotel who was Etta James driver when she was in town . Had a real blast that night made several spoken adverts for his show about the " Dusty's " and he picked us up the next day and took us to and back to Beverly Records. Real nice guy , had loads of tales about the 60's and the people of the time . He introduced us to guy who had conections with One-deful ! mar-v-lus and M-pac labels ( cant remeber his name though have his details written down somewhere ). Also mentioned he would like to get stuff done properly with his labels and stuff he had written and produced . I told him about Ace / Kent not sure if he ever followed that up but always felt he should before it is forgotten and lost to time which would be a shame .

Sorry I digress from the point of this thread

S H

Social source share

I don't know for a fact, but always assumed the Smash release was after Blue Rock, not before.

Wasn't it the flip side of "You don't love me no more" (or the other way round?)

post-5094-12765497942667_thumb.jpg

(Not mine might I add)

I was informed is was 67 on SMASH 68 on BLUE ROCK ..... but that's only what i was told, i dont know it as a fact :ohmy:

SMASH has I,m getting nearer to your love on flip

Social source share

It was a guy called Richard Pegue , believe he had some links with the Penny & Nickel labels now has a radio show at WVON . he invited us to his show on a fri night .

I just want to add RIP here, a bit more than just a guy who had links to the Penny & Nickel labels with a radio show. Had his fingers in a lot of pies as far as Chicago Soul goes back in the day.

Social source share

Yep - you're right with the flip sidethumbsup.gif

I just did a quick check,

Blue Rock 4061 - Don't Go Away / Just Say The Word

Smash 2127 - Don't Go Away / I'm Getting Nearer To Your Love

This was the other I was thinking about:

Smash 2160 - You Don't Love Me No More / I'm Hip To Your Game

No wiser as to which actually came out first though:wink:

Social source share

I just want to add RIP here, a bit more than just a guy who had links to the Penny & Nickel labels with a radio show. Had his fingers in a lot of pies as far as Chicago Soul goes back in the day.

Hi Kris sorry to hear he has passed away if thats what you are meaning by RIP . Such a nice friendly welcoming fellow . I didnt mean to imply or lessen his involvment in the Chicago soul music scene , I did mention he wrote and produced alot of stuff and he was wanting to get it all down in a book and Cd project and always wondered if he managed to do that .

Edited by abbeyrnb
Social source share

Three good ones - fairly common but still great sounds:

Cynthia and the Imaginations - Hey Boy (I love you) - not as good as the Four Dynamics - but pretty damm good!!

Tony and Lynn - I'm hip to you baby - super smooth soul

Otis Leavill - It's the same old me / Let me live - great double header - did this guy make a bad record!

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Hard to pick a fave from this great label.

One that I still get a big kick out of is

4010 - Ja Neen Henry - Baby Boy / Love Is What You Make It

Great version of the Golden World Juanita Williams song and a cracking flip

Must be Mike Terry on sax in there....

Social source share

think many of us have had a go at collecting this label over the years, so many nice things in different styles with lots of double siders.

some of my fave's -

4034 deletts whats the use/look at me

4053 johnny moore such a wonderful feeling/without your love

4070 johnny moore lonely heart in the city

4071 adventurers somethings bad/nobody can save me

4072 keanya collins it aint no secret

(deletts ? has every demo copy got a red felt pen ring written around the title? think i've had either 3 or 4 copies and they've all had this?)

(4053 j.moore, my copy is wrecked, anybody got one that plays well that is spare)

(4072 keanya niter floor packer, used to play this up at NCSC few years back alongside joann courcy, which I think it's similar too. bought a spare copy of this stomper for a friend who asked me to find him one...then he told me he'd found one, so anybody looking for one shout me

P.S. with the connection to Smash mentioned above (and my desire to learn more about that label) can i ask for Smash to be next label threaded?

Social source share

I like the flip side to this one alsoyes.gif

post-5094-12765483702309_thumb.jpg

My copy is just a white promo, but I just thought I'd include this scan - 'for the record'

Blimey, that looks to be the exact same acetate I bought from Craig Morer six months ago...

came from a prominent Chicago DJ, and I'm told something that was probably cut for his management or studio purpose.. It's single sided by the way John..

I've got some more Blue rock acetates, i'll post em up.

Malohmy.gif

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Such a wonderful feeling - Johnny Moorepost-4006-1276635785553_thumb.jpg

Hi Jon

Do all these play with background noise. I've had two now and both look mint but don't sound good?

ATB

Doc

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert