Less Ego = Better Dj ?

Would it be correct to assume that the less of an ego a DJ has the better they are at performing and have lower concerns of playing records that may be readilly available or slightly poppy and not confined to if its not ultra rare I'm not playing it etc?

I always remember Nev Wherry just played what he thought the punters wanted without any restrictions on rarity etc even though he had a fantastic record collection.

Best r

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Would it be correct to assume that the less of an ego a DJ has the better they are at performing and have lower concerns of playing records that may be readilly available or slightly poppy and not confined to if its not ultra rare I'm not playing it etc?

I always remember Nev Wherry just played what he thought the punters wanted without any restrictions on rarity etc even though he had a fantastic record collection.

Never seen anything wrong with a DJ playing a readilly available record, its quality not price/rarity that should denote inclusion in a set.

Always dubious about poppy tunes as I expect to hear soul at a soul night.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I'm with John Reed on this one.

Just like to go out and hear great soul records, rare or common, in the company of like minded individuals.

Social source share

There was no thought given to value when the records were being made. No records were specifically recorded to be expensive or rare - they were recorded equal.

High values on records is a fairly recent thing and has nothing to do with quality. If everyone can own a copy then all the better in my book!

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Thats one of the reasons Blue Max was such a star!:thumbsup:

:hatsoff2:

Those with larger egos can, in my opinion, not put any effort in & just put the next one in the box on & think because they have fantastic records they don't have to try & put a good set together...:thumbsup:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: DUDE WER DO U WANT ME TO START..I PLAYED AT SUM OF THE GUD DOO,S IN THE EARLY 70,S..80,S BLAH BLAH..U NO WOT ENDED UP LISTEN TO A LOT OV SO CALLED PEOPLE WHO ALL OV A SUDDEN SPENT THER BLOODY MORG ON A RECORD,WAM,,IM A DJ CULT MATEY..IVE DUN ME BIT AS A DJ..BUT PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO DONT GIVE A TOSS WOT ITS ON,,DONT GET A BLOODY CHANCE...GUES WOT.." IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WIV THIS".. YEAH NICE MATE..BUT ITS BLOODY SHITE..DJS TODAY NEED A KICK UP THE KIBA PASS..WE JOINED BECAUSE WE LIKE TO DANCE..NOT LOOK AT 4 WALLS..U NO IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WIV KIKI DEE-N-STEPTOE N SON DOIN "ANY DAY NOW" U WILL HEAR ME CALL...ENNY OWD IRON..:wink: ON BLACK ATLANTIC..HAHA..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. NEAL RUSHTON FOR PRIMINISTA..DRIPPIN FOR HIS LACCY...:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

hatsoff2.gif DUDE WER DO U WANT ME TO START..I PLAYED AT SUM OF THE GUD DOO,S IN THE EARLY 70,S..80,S BLAH BLAH..U NO WOT ENDED UP LISTEN TO A LOT OV SO CALLED PEOPLE WHO ALL OV A SUDDEN SPENT THER BLOODY MORG ON A RECORD,WAM,,IM A DJ CULT MATEY..IVE DUN ME BIT AS A DJ..BUT PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO DONT GIVE A TOSS WOT ITS ON,,DONT GET A BLOODY CHANCE...GUES WOT.." IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WIV THIS".. YEAH NICE MATE..BUT ITS BLOODY SHITE..DJS TODAY NEED A KICK UP THE KIBA PASS..WE JOINED BECAUSE WE LIKE TO DANCE..NOT LOOK AT 4 WALLS..U NO IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WIV KIKI DEE-N-STEPTOE N SON DOIN "ANY DAY NOW" U WILL HEAR ME CALL...ENNY OWD IRON..wink.gif ON BLACK ATLANTIC..HAHA..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. NEAL RUSHTON FOR PRIMINISTA..DRIPPIN FOR HIS LACCY...hatsoff2.gif

Well put Bertthumbsup.gif. £5 or £5000, makes no difference to the tune, as Joan say's all equal once. DJ's should play music they love (not what they think is good cus it's expensive), then it's played with a passion.yes.gif

Social source share

Guest soulboy

hatsoff2.gif DUDE WER DO U WANT ME TO START..I PLAYED AT SUM OF THE GUD DOO,S IN THE EARLY 70,S..80,S BLAH BLAH..U NO WOT ENDED UP LISTEN TO A LOT OV SO CALLED PEOPLE WHO ALL OV A SUDDEN SPENT THER BLOODY MORG ON A RECORD,WAM,,IM A DJ CULT MATEY..IVE DUN ME BIT AS A DJ..BUT PEOPLE LIKE ME WHO DONT GIVE A TOSS WOT ITS ON,,DONT GET A BLOODY CHANCE...GUES WOT.." IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WIV THIS".. YEAH NICE MATE..BUT ITS BLOODY SHITE..DJS TODAY NEED A KICK UP THE KIBA PASS..WE JOINED BECAUSE WE LIKE TO DANCE..NOT LOOK AT 4 WALLS..U NO IM THE ONLY ONE IN THE WORLD WIV KIKI DEE-N-STEPTOE N SON DOIN "ANY DAY NOW" U WILL HEAR ME CALL...ENNY OWD IRON..wink.gif ON BLACK ATLANTIC..HAHA..

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. NEAL RUSHTON FOR PRIMINISTA..DRIPPIN FOR HIS LACCY...hatsoff2.gif

Your right i agree with everthing you say ,but in the the real world ............ do records make the dj or dj's make the record by the way iv got the demo of the steptoe track

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i've always felt the opposite .... i think a Dj should have a certain amount of arrogance , the arrogance to feel they can play whatever the hell the want with the confidence that ego and arrogance brings .

I'd rather have a cocky get behind the decks with the ego to pull it off than a little mouse who almost apologises for the tunes they play

Social source share

i've always felt the opposite .... i think a Dj should have a certain amount of arrogance , the arrogance to feel they can play whatever the hell the want with the confidence that ego and arrogance brings .

I'd rather have a cocky get behind the decks with the ego to pull it off than a little mouse who almost apologises for the tunes they play

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

aint all djs got an ego yes.gif

if a record is good its good regarding the price of it so why does everyone have to keep having a pop at rare and expensive records all the time, some cheap records are shite too you know,

a dj should play form the heart not forma fooking jukebox senario rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert