Ever Thrown Away A Record By Mistake?

Kinnell...I got a bill from the royal mail this morning for yet another £24 on a record sent from the States, so went and picked it up, opened it, at least it was well packed even if my profit had been totally wiped out - I wasn't very happy to be honest. Anyway, I chucked the packaging in the recycle bin outside, and then I put this weeks list out. After about an hour I ran out of cardboard so I thought I might as well use the card that came with the record that came this morning, so I got it out of the bin. It was taped together, when I slit the tape open, out popped a copy of The Gypsies - It's A Woman's World - Old Town demo :thumbsup:

I'd forgotten I'd won 2 records off the same seller and he'd packaged them both together (which accounts for him declaring it at $40 more than I paid for the first record).

Well anyway that was a nice surprise, in 3 days time they'd have taken that down the tip or wherever they pretend to recycle stuff. A close shave indeed.

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

one of my customers done a similar thing! He emailed me a grumpy message to ask were the other 45 was and i assured him they were sent together so i suggested he checked in the bin as it might have got thrown away.Yep there it was, he felt a right arse and i had a flood of apologieslaugh.gif

Social source share

Not quite thrown away...

I had a duplicate of The Soul Shakers 'I'm getting weaker' and couldn't find it anywhere when I came to sell it. I gave it up for lost, but it turned up about two years later. Seems I'd not taken it out of its packaging and had dumped it in a box full of empty mailers that I'd kept.

Social source share

I got beaten by a fellow NY collector on a very rare (4 figure $) garage 45, when next saw him and congratulated him his face didn't do the right thing so asked why, he has a PO box and was in a rush picking up all his packages from the week and consolidating them into one pile, when he got home he realised that 45 was missing and he must have mistakenly thrown it out amongst all the boxes/packaging, ran back across town to the post office but never managed to find it, very painful

Social source share

rubbish-tip1.jpg

A few years ago , my postie would very kindly put any albums for me in my blue recycle bin , this would save me having to wait until the next day to get them from the post office ,

HOWEVER

I go away on holiday for a week , come back , expecting to find three albums waiting in the bin for and my new next door neighbours had very kindly put it out for the recylce truck along with over £100 + of vinyl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sad.gif

Social source share

Kinnell...I got a bill from the royal mail this morning for yet another £24 on a record sent from the States, so went and picked it up, opened it, at least it was well packed even if my profit had been totally wiped out - I wasn't very happy to be honest. Anyway, I chucked the packaging in the recycle bin outside, and then I put this weeks list out. After about an hour I ran out of cardboard so I thought I might as well use the card that came with the record that came this morning, so I got it out of the bin. It was taped together, when I slit the tape open, out popped a copy of The Gypsies - It's A Woman's World - Old Town demo :lol:

I'd forgotten I'd won 2 records off the same seller and he'd packaged them both together (which accounts for him declaring it at $40 more than I paid for the first record).

Well anyway that was a nice surprise, in 3 days time they'd have taken that down the tip or wherever they pretend to recycle stuff. A close shave indeed.

Yeah - about four years ago, I was waiting for ages for a copy of Dee Dee Sharp - Deep dark secret. It never turned up

I thought it had got lost in the post.

Seems that what actually happened was that the postman left it on the step by the back door.

it had been raining heavy and the parcel was a bit soggy - my missus thought I had just left empty packaging outside for the bin

which is exactly where she put it.

bless her.

Social source share

I'm still searchingsad.gif

Was going through some records recently & decided to stick one up for sale. It happened to be on Phil Kowalski auctions so thought I should wait until his auction was over so I put it away somewhere safe. As soon as Phils sold mine went up for sale (for a few hundred quid) & I quickly came to a deal with a buyer who asked for a couple of weeks to get the cash together. No problem with that except when he came to pay I couldn't find the recordohmy.gif Despite searching over & over again it has disappeared into thin air & absolutely no idea where it can be. Gutted as it was going to pay for flight & accomodation for a holidaysad.gif

Oh well frusty2.gif

Social source share

I'm still searchingsad.gif

Was going through some records recently & decided to stick one up for sale. It happened to be on Phil Kowalski auctions so thought I should wait until his auction was over so I put it away somewhere safe. As soon as Phils sold mine went up for sale (for a few hundred quid) & I quickly came to a deal with a buyer who asked for a couple of weeks to get the cash together. No problem with that except when he came to pay I couldn't find the recordohmy.gif Despite searching over & over again it has disappeared into thin air & absolutely no idea where it can be. Gutted as it was going to pay for flight & accomodation for a holidaysad.gif

Oh well frusty2.gif

Dave the only compensation is that you WILL find it - it's there somewhere, I do this all the time, I was looking for a copy of The Seminoles on Hi Lite yesterday and I went through 6 boxes of records, twice, I could not find it, eventually I found it in one of those boxes, I'd skipped past it twice and I just hadn't clocked it

Social source share

Dave the only compensation is that you WILL find it - it's there somewhere, I do this all the time, I was looking for a copy of The Seminoles on Hi Lite yesterday and I went through 6 boxes of records, twice, I could not find it, eventually I found it in one of those boxes, I'd skipped past it twice and I just hadn't clocked it

Is that "Trouble in mind" on Hi - Light Pete

A stunning and very classy mid tempo Soul record IMO

was it for sale ?

Social source share

Not just me then Pete

Social source share

Winfield parker - I wanna be with you - PL

I used to live on a farm and had an Aga type boiler where you threw everything in it to burn.

I had received some records and I often threw the cardboard into the Aga with newspaper to get it going. What I didnt realise was their was still a record inside 2 pieces of card I was about to pack and send off to someone!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Guest rosies dad

i need to start driving a garbage truck through all of your neighborhoods! Itd be easier than winning auctions!

Social source share

iv done it several times..ohmy.gif .........last one cost be £30 and sells at £350..........which i was hoping to do..........oh.........er laugh.gif ..........never mind ph34r.gif blame the dustman......the dog........the mrs ....the tories..............man utd.........anyone but myself.........laugh.gif .....................ezzie

Social source share

Guest Dante

iv done it several times..ohmy.gif .........last one cost be £30 and sells at £350..........which i was hoping to do..........oh.........er laugh.gif ..........never mind ph34r.gif blame the dustman......the dog........the mrs ....the tories..............man utd.........anyone but myself.........laugh.gif .....................ezzie

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

sandra phillips-world without sunshine (gold issue)

toby lark- challenge my love, and happiness is here

and god knows what else, lost somewhere between moving from house number one to house number two, the sad thing is it took me about 18 months to realise they had gone !

Social source share

I finally found it mate, sadly it's not the one you mention, it's I Can't Stand It / It Takes A Lot (Hi Lite 80043)

............. & so have I !!!!!!!! yes get in there laugh.gif ....& still got my original buyer wanting itthumbsup.gif

Found it between 2 pieces of cardboard in a box of 400 despite going through it 4 or 5 times. Funnily enough after the first couple of times searching I was thinking "it ain't going to miraculously going to appear" .....& it eventually did !

Well happy thumbsup.gif

Dave

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Kinnell...I got a bill from the royal mail this morning for yet another £24 on a record sent from the States, so went and picked it up, opened it, at least it was well packed even if my profit had been totally wiped out - I wasn't very happy to be honest. Anyway, I chucked the packaging in the recycle bin outside, and then I put this weeks list out. After about an hour I ran out of cardboard so I thought I might as well use the card that came with the record that came this morning, so I got it out of the bin. It was taped together, when I slit the tape open, out popped a copy of The Gypsies - It's A Woman's World - Old Town demo ohmy.gif

Pete I can tell you a real horror story , about three years ago I rented a small barn that had been converted into a light industrial unit , We stored some personel thing's there from when We moved house and our entire stock of sale's (20,000 records).At the time I was breeding a lot of bantam and large fowl chickens and one of the incubaters over heated and the unit went up in flames , after the fire had been put out and the unit made safe we went in to see if there was anything left I can tell You all it's a bad feeling , one of the most deverstating things was the loss of my late Dad's stuff (His fishing rods ect.) We went over to the records and out of the whole lot We lost about 10 records , the guy from the fire service told us that because they were so tightly packed the heat had not warped them it cost me a bit for new sleeves as the others were black with soot but that was my near miss .All the best Simon Hunt.

Social source share

Pete I can tell you a real horror story , about three years ago I rented a small barn that had been converted into a light industrial unit , We stored some personel thing's there from when We moved house and our entire stock of sale's (20,000 records).At the time I was breeding a lot of bantam and large fowl chickens and one of the incubaters over heated and the unit went up in flames , after the fire had been put out and the unit made safe we went in to see if there was anything left I can tell You all it's a bad feeling , one of the most deverstating things was the loss of my late Dad's stuff (His fishing rods ect.) We went over to the records and out of the whole lot We lost about 10 records , the guy from the fire service told us that because they were so tightly packed the heat had not warped them it cost me a bit for new sleeves as the others were black with soot but that was my near miss .All the best Simon Hunt.

Just had a load go missing courtesty of an ex.(there must be a local binman with a good collection).............but on another note I remember deejaying with a few boxes and one cold winter getting a taxi home. The kind taxi driver helped me with my boxes.I get everything in and go to bed.Next day check the boxes and theres one box missing.Look everywhere...nothing. Traipse up to the venue. Search it nothing.Back to the taxi company speak with the driver...nothing.I give up and time moves on.About 4 months later I get a call at work from my girlfriend (at the time)....I've found your records?? How?.She had been mopping the pavement and noticed a red plastic box tucked away in next doors alcove where the milk bottles were!!!!.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert