There's A Ghost In My House

Picked up one of these on the Blue Canadian label yesterday and when I got home and listened to it I started thinking - why R Dean Taylor?

It is written by H-D-H and dates 1966- surely there would have been a wealth of other artists to offer it to? Is there any other versions by Motown artists?

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Picked up one of these on the Blue Canadian label yesterday and when I got home and listened to it I started thinking - why R Dean Taylor?

It is written by H-D-H and dates 1966- surely there would have been a wealth of other artists to offer it to? Is there any other versions by Motown artists?

Never thought about it but, what a great question.

Four Tops with Levi belting out would have murdered it!!!.

ATB

Tony

Social source share

Mmm. There's food for thought. Can you imagine an Isley Brothers version.....?

It's even stranger since R. Dean Taylor was primarily a writer anyway - he wrote both "Gotta See Jane" and "Indiana Wants Me"........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

four tops would be nice! Maybe with some nice vibes playing the part of that fuzzy guitar at the beginning? I can just hear it in my head... jacob

Social source share

Ace question!

Considering it was the norm for three or four versions to see what sounded the best prior to release but I kinda guess this was down to Motown wanting to have a white artist?

"Indiana Wants Me" was a breakthrough for Motown; it is hard for us now days to even come close to appreciate how difficult it was for black American artists and a label to do well.

R. Dean Taylor was their first white artist although Adam ant was undoubtedly their best ever.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to hear Adam blasting this one out?

Social source share

from Don't Forget The Motor City...RDT the only version by the looks of things...

There's A Ghost In My House (Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Edward Holland Jr-R. Dean Taylor) publ. Jobete

R. Dean Taylor; rec 26-Oct-66 ; produced by Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier

30-Mar-67; 45 (M): V.I.P. 25042 A

Oct-68; LP (M): Tamla Motown TML11077 Motown Memories Vol. 2 [ UK ]

09-Jul-01; CD (S): Spectrum 544 515 2 Essential Collection [ UK ]

25-May-07; CD (M): Hip O Select B0008993-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 7 1967

Social source share

Not really a 'true legit' alternative but there's the instrumental version.....50 copies were cut onto white label carver type 45s a few years back, got one somewhere and it's superb.

Social source share

ACTUALLY, BECAUSE ITS A WHITE ARTIST AND ITS SUNG "WHITE" WITH LYRICS THAT ARE NOT TYPICALLY BLACK SOUNDING.....IT WOULD HAVE SUITED CHRIS CLARK DOWN TO THE GROUND....SO MAYBE WHEN YOU APPEARS HERE NEXT, SOME BRIGHT SPARK MIGHT LIKE TO SUGGEST HER HAVING A GO AT IT......YES?.....ARE WE ALL IN AGREEMENT?.

ANOTHER REASON IS, AND YOU MUST ALL REMEMBER THIS, NO-ONE KNEW SHE HAD COVERED FRANK WILSON'S ANTHEM....UNTIL THE 80'S AND, AS SOMEONE HAS ALREADY MENTIONED, THE BACKING TRACK WAS CARVED A FEW YEARS AGO SO THERE WOULD BE NO PROBLEM WITH SUPPLYING THE ORIGINAL MUSIC?.

........JUST IMAGINE THAT AT PRESTATYN.......BRING THE HOUSE DOWN OR WHAT?!.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

Ace question!

Considering it was the norm for three or four versions to see what sounded the best prior to release but I kinda guess this was down to Motown wanting to have a white artist?

"Indiana Wants Me" was a breakthrough for Motown; it is hard for us now days to even come close to appreciate how difficult it was for black American artists and a label to do well.

R. Dean Taylor was their first white artist although Adam ant was undoubtedly their best ever.

Thats gotta be one of the weirdest cover versions ever

Social source share

Thats gotta be one of the weirdest cover versions ever

Gotta admire AA though.....made a good living done up like a dog's dinner, dodgy ponytail, no voice to speak of, white wellies and living proof that 'white men can't jump!' Who on Earth bought that crap? :lol::lol:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest steve64

Never thought about it but, what a great question.

Four Tops with Levi belting out would have murdered it!!!.

ATB

Tony

I am sure I once read it was written for The Four Tops but they turned it down, not sure how true it is because if Mr Gordy told you to record it then you recorded it

Social source share

I am sure I once read it was written for The Four Tops but they turned it down, not sure how true it is because if Mr Gordy told you to record it then you recorded it

yes that is true it was meant for the four tops ,so you never know it might be lurking in the vaults somewhere, but i dout it, it would've surfaced by now unless the did record it and it was binned for something more soulfulbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest soulboy

the mfp lp isnt up to much but alway liked the b side of ghost in my house his best outing for me ,wonder what happened to him ?

Social source share

Not really a 'true legit' alternative but there's the instrumental version.....50 copies were cut onto white label carver type 45s a few years back, got one somewhere and it's superb.

And YET ANOTHER track sold as an EXCLUSIVE by ROB MOSS - along with the Chris Clark 'Sweet Loving' - to name just two tracks sold by the aforementioned (only two years ago !!) as exclusive 'ONLY COPIES' !!!

They are all coming back to bite him on his arse now though - thought he'd escape any potential for comeback by emigrating.. Unfortunately for him he had to return to the UK and now he's being caught out BIG STYLE !!

Fingers..

Social source share

Guest soulmanherts

Yeah, "Let's Go Somewhere Baby" - top tune - hammered to death 1974 thumbsup.gif

Can always get Warren to sing it again mate...lol

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Ace question!

Im going have nitemares about this now.... thanks !!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

Yeah, "Let's Go Somewhere Baby" - top tune - hammered to death 1974 thumbsup.gif

yes stubbsy,lets go somewhere and ghost in my house always reminds me of samanthas sheffield all-nighter,john vincent used to hammer both tracks,happy days,:unsure::ph34r:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

well i would have loved another motown version for sure. great track but wasn't Dancing in the street the same. Again not covered on motown until the 80's ones Ian Levine did.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert