Carnival

Had the lot -3 collected them mainly between about 1978-and early 80ts.Everyone used to laugh and ask me why i was collecting that label,well i proved them all wrong in the end.Of course Adey C then put out 3 Carnival CDS Great stuff.A couple to look out for but not so easy are THE TRENTEENS,not that good but colletable in the States.The Manhattens,THERE GOES A FOOLnot easy to get and early but very nice.What i think is the rare one,well possibly THE PRETENDERS I WANNA BE.(red and white label)who knows.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Both the Harry Caldwell releases are great:

"Nobody Loves Me/Please Come Back" and "A New World Is Just Beginning/Nobody Loves Me"

Always Liked Kenneth Ruffin "Cry,Cry ,Cry/I'll Keep Holding On" and the Turner Brothers" My Love Is Yours Tonight"

And from the sweeter side of things:

The Symphonies"That's What Love Will Do"And my favorite Manhattans song "When We're Made As One"

Also the modern soul anthem by the Pretenders "Just Be Yourself"

Dave

Social source share

Had the lot -3 collected them mainly between about 1978-and early 80ts.Everyone used to laugh and ask me why i was collecting that label,well i proved them all wrong in the end.Of course Adey C then put out 3 Carnival CDS Great stuff.A couple to look out for but not so easy are THE TRENTEENS,not that good but colletable in the States.The Manhattens,THERE GOES A FOOLnot easy to get and early but very nice.What i think is the rare one,well possibly THE PRETENDERS I WANNA BE.(red and white label)who knows.

I was going to mention that, you gave me a whole Carnival tape early 80's and myself, Craig B Ady H set off buying anything we could on the label, never did ask you why you collected this label specifically given your love of all things Detroit.

As people say it really is a fantastic label and as Gilly says the Kent CD's are essential to any lovers of all things soulful,

No balearic nonsence on this label. :lol:

Found scans of this tough to find Jimmy Jules demo copy on my harddrive...

post-4875-127584494668_thumb.jpgpost-4875-12758449410267_thumb.jpg

That looks very like my copy mate, a little scuffed, think I got it last 5 years off Ebay to replace an issue I gave away, always thought this was one of the hard ones no?

Have quite a few recorded can put up as soon as Mike emerges from the Engine room, all covered in oil and blood, finally having fixed refosoul. :yes:

Social source share

There is a 12" from a few years back,grey label with the unicycle on it.......from 2000 i think ?

New Jersey Connection - Love Don't Come Easy, think its on a 7" too, will try and dig it out for later, haven't listened to this for years, suspect it may be a bit funky for Mr Gilbert's ears though......

Woops just seen the 2000 Ken, thought this one was a lot earlier than that.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

New Jersey Connection - Love Don't Come Easy, think its on a 7" too, will try and dig it out for later, haven't listened to this for years, suspect it may be a bit funky for Mr Gilbert's ears though......

Woops just seen the 2000 Ken, thought this one was a lot earlier than that.

Yeh 1981 ph34r.gif

Social source share

I was going to mention that, you gave me a whole Carnival tape early 80's and myself, Craig B Ady H set off buying anything we could on the label, never did ask you why you collected this label specifically given your love of all things Detroit.

Carnival actually had detroit connections via writer George Clinton (I think he at least wrote the Pets record if not others).

Social source share

Guest Imogen

I've seen some Carnival 12 inch records with nite life written across the label. Is this the same for the New Jersey Connection 45? Are the Nite Life ones reissues?

Imogen

Social source share

Sublime..Beautiful..of another world.

The music on this label is for me some of the finest soul music ever recorded with productions way ahead of their time and probably touched by the hand of The Almighty. There are so many but of the less obvious tracks try listening to Phil Terrell's "I'm just a young boy" or The Lovettes b side "I'm afraid" or....well I could go on and on.

I remember not giving the label a lot of time in my younger years.Later Gilly of course used to bang on about it and credit to him but it was the cd series that did it for me. I had bought most of the Kent albums and cds. They were and still are in a different league from virtually everything else, put together with heart and love for the music. But Ady's finest moment must be his Carnival moment. These cds are for me the greatest compilation of any genre of music EVER imo. Cant say more than that .....but without Ady's dedication the world would be a less musical place.

(OK Ady, thats the winners of the fancy dress sorted then)

Social source share

A couple of more northern sounding one's:

Curby Goggins "Leave Me If You Want To" and Leon & The Metronomes "I'll Catch You On The Rebound"

Dave.W

What about the sudsiduary label Chadwick?

Metric's "Wishes" and Topic's "Hey Girl"

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Really rate the Little Royal...

LITTLE ROYAL - YOU KNOW (YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU) - CARNIVAL -

Should persevere with this a little more.

Little Royal was a minor spin for Keb back in the day...here's the WD variant.

Also, here's an original demo of the Topics, which suffered from being bootlegged.

I would post a scan of the 7" Jimmy Jules acetate I have for 'Let yourself go', but it doesn't have any labels so looks a tad boring!

:lol:

post-9555-12762755780539_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12762756011234_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12762755780539_thumb.jpg

post-9555-12762756011234_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!