What Are The Current Big Spins Of The Moment?

• Replies 149
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Spencer Wiggins - I'm at the breaking point - Unissued fame recording from 1969 is the best record I've heard this decade!

A tad too slow for niters etc but for 70's/Crossover rooms it's perfection!

I can certainly shake me pants to it and that creshendo at the end when all the horns come in is sublime!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

One tune getting plays round here is Al Supersonic and the Teenagers - I dont know where is my girl.( rock on )

Played it out a few times and gettin gud responces .Shaun

By our very own Andalucians! Been played here for at least 3 years. They're also appearing at the next Kings and Queens Weekender in Hamburg (Sept) backing Dean Parish and Tommy Hunt.

Social source share

interestingly it came out twice same label, same number but the other under the artist of "Shine" which was his nick name.

nice record but never a 'Big Spin' imo

can't think of any big spins really except

Just Like the Weather acetate

???

Is this the 70's Richie Parker / Aaron Neville version?

Social source share

anyone mention that awesome 1963 ike and tina record that big Danny played at the old burnley.....what a dance tune that is

it wouldnt be called strange on the sonja label would it ??? ive been banging on about this for years , i think i was one of the first to really shed light on this 45 ! one slipped through my fingers on ebay years ago for $25 ( but was battered ) i didnt realise how rare it actually was! i have seen two in recent years go for $600 +

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

One tune getting plays round here is Al Supersonic and the Teenagers - I dont know where is my girl.( rock on )

Played it out a few times and gettin gud responces .Shaun

Shaun with you on this I don't know about records that I'll never own on acetate or records that have resurfaced been big at one time or not as some may say, they are all great tunes but as a current big spin i.e released in 2008 & a little known group from a borstal in Granada (Spain) who have played with one or two big names Dean Parrish and P.P. Arnold. I have to put this as my top track of the moment.

(Enjoy)

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=dfbQPnOLg_A

Edited by Troid
Social source share

Guest Dante

Suppose everyone is at Cleethorpes by now, but does anyone have a soundclip of Butch's Just Like The Weather acetate?

I heard it at Lifeline a year ago but can't recall the differences with the original.

Social source share

Two tunes that have had mass attention in the last year or so are pow wow [ been known and played for a long time on the mod scene ]POW WOW MANNY CORCHADO, LONG VERSION -

zu zu man and the same goes for this, think Des Parkers find, played for a few years on the mod scene before getting spins in the northern rooms

ZU ZU BLUES BAND - ZU ZU MAN -

Social source share

Guest Dante

Vocally I think it's far better, sounded fantastic last night :-) it's Mill Edwards (Mill Evans) on an exodus acetate, could be a vinyl one, I have held it but can't remember for sure. I've the clip at home that was with the eBay listing.

Thanks, Chalky. Is it too much to ask to put it in Refo when you get the time?

Social source share

Couple of these been mentioned before but giving these a play at the moment.

R. L. Burnside. It's Bad You Know

Leslie Drayton, Feat Barbara Morrison. When will you be mine.

Dr Soul. Left Eye Jump.

Charmaines. The One for Me.

Here em at Sonic Soul Lutterworth on the 26th June.

Edited by Pat Wallace
Social source share

Couple of these been mentioned before but giving these a play at the moment.

R. L. Burnside. It's Bad You Know

Leslie Drayton, Feat Barbara Morrison. When will you be mine.

Dr Soul. Left Eye Jump.

Charmaines. The One for Me.

As the three little pigs may say

the first is a bit to Mod for me,

the second is a tad to Jazzy for me,

But the third is oh so soulful & just right, even with the strange title as for the fourth I can't comment cause I've never heard it Pat?

Social source share

Great record.Looks like a british acetate.Got loads of UK Decca acetates of british stuff with exactly the same label.Not all of them came out on UK Decca though (on a non northern soul note ive one by The Quik of I Cant Sleep on a UK Decca acetate which was issued on UK Deram).Maybe Butch has a Decca acetate label over a different label..........great game this guessing the cover up.

Social source share

Great record.Looks like a british acetate.Got loads of UK Decca acetates of british stuff with exactly the same label.Not all of them came out on UK Decca though (on a non northern soul note ive one by The Quik of I Cant Sleep on a UK Decca acetate which was issued on UK Deram).Maybe Butch has a Decca acetate label over a different label..........great game this guessing the cover up.

that's not the label on the record. plenty of US acetates such as RCA that look like above too. That track on the you tube clip was "stolen" at the rocket when Gavin taped the sets of the DJs without permission.

Social source share

Two tunes that have had mass attention in the last year or so are pow wow [ been known and played for a long time on the mod scene ]POW WOW MANNY CORCHADO, LONG VERSION -

zu zu man and the same goes for this, think Des Parkers find, played for a few years on the mod scene before getting spins in the northern rooms

ZU ZU BLUES BAND - ZU ZU MAN -

Sorry - nothing to do with Norhern Soul to me - if this is the fayre on offer at present no wonder oldies are as popular as ever.

TBH a part of me thought these records were put on here as a "wind-up" they really ARE that bad!!!

Social source share

Sorry - nothing to do with Norhern Soul to me - if this is the fayre on offer at present no wonder oldies are as popular as ever.

TBH a part of me thought these records were put on here as a "wind-up" they really ARE that bad!!!

To be fair this is Soul Source and not northern soul source.I don't consider them to be northern soul either and I don't think he was claiming they were northern soul...I think when he says "scene" he means mod/rare soul scene.Zu Zu is okay aint bad..........Four Tempos-Got To Have You is northern and underplayed (thinking mans oldie?).

Social source share

They are all terrible to my ears......the xover one ain't bad, but I'm not in to xover.....but the others aren't good enough to be played out in my opinion......if the Tommy Dent was £20 nobody would touch it.......and that bloody zu zu man.....I preferred the watts 103rd street rhythm band version that Ian Levine played at the Mecca in the early 70's.....Brown Sugar......and that was rubbish.....laugh.gif

Social source share

To be fair this is Soul Source and not northern soul source.I don't consider them to be northern soul either and I don't think he was claiming they were northern soul...I think when he says "scene" he means mod/rare soul scene.Zu Zu is okay aint bad..........Four Tempos-Got To Have You is northern and underplayed (thinking mans oldie?).

Sorry - didn't realise there were so many categories these days - Mod - rare soul - Northern - modern - crossover - oldies etc. etc.

Don't really matter which group you put them in - it makes no difference to me - they are still both rubbish IMHO.

Social source share

Exciting, different, challenging are the words I' d use !! Loved em both!! are they northern, thats another question, Id love to dance to them at a nighter though.

Social source share

Just making a point, lots of intrest in these, as ebay has shown with the amount of bidders, also sold mt Zu Zu on hear a couple of months back and could have sold it 20 times over, god i hate the term northern soul, to me its just dance music, like them or hate them, theres no getting away from it they are getting loads of turntable action and thats what the thread was about, least thats my interpretion of it.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

i `m finding the northern soul scene on the whole a struggle these days. all these big tunes, joseph webster,parliaments rainy day, man of my word are half decent at best.............dont get me started on the zu zu band or tommy dent...........f**kin terrible imofrusty2.gif

dave

Social source share

i `m finding the northern soul scene on the whole a struggle these days. all these big tunes, joseph webster,parliaments rainy day, man of my word are half decent at best.............dont get me started on the zu zu band or tommy dent...........f**kin terrible imofrusty2.gif

dave

Is it me or does Tommy Dent sound like some UK Club band throwaway b side........ie Geno Washington/Alan Bown etc...it's more of a mod sound than a northern soul sound.

Social source share

dave

agree with you Dave , just been trying to listen to zu zu , tommy dent & that pow wow , think I'll stick to soul music instead

frusty2.gif

Social source share

They are all terrible to my ears......the xover one ain't bad, but I'm not in to xover.....but the others aren't good enough to be played out in my opinion......if the Tommy Dent was £20 nobody would touch it.......and that bloody zu zu man.....I preferred the watts 103rd street rhythm band version that Ian Levine played at the Mecca in the early 70's.....Brown Sugar......and that was rubbish.....laugh.gif

Maybe now its 1500 quid tho it'll make some ears prick up?.Great nighter sound Phil.When i first heard it a few months back,the first thing i said was "Its a Burnley sound" (Batcave).

No,its not everyone's cup of tea,but it begs to be heard at a nighter when the rooms buzzing.Not in some xover back room among the late 70's lp tracks.

Social source share

Maybe now its 1500 quid tho it'll make some ears prick up?.Great nighter sound Phil.When i first heard it a few months back,the first thing i said was "Its a Burnley sound" (Batcave).

No,its not everyone's cup of tea,but it begs to be heard at a nighter when the rooms buzzing.Not in some xover back room among the late 70's lp tracks.

If you play it loud enough at an All-Nighter does that mean it doesn't have to be that good? Stack 'em up against George Blackwell, Eula Cooper , Del Larks etc etc. They were played at All -Nighters - one thing common to tunes like that - they passed "quality control"

Stick me in a back room playing xover anytime - I might get to hear some soul !!!

Social source share

If you play it loud enough at an All-Nighter does that mean it doesn't have to be that good? Stack 'em up against George Blackwell, Eula Cooper , Del Larks etc etc. They were played at All -Nighters - one thing common to tunes like that - they passed "quality control"

Stick me in a back room playing xover anytime - I might get to hear some soul !!!

Know what you're saying,horses for courses Epic.Xover room for xover,nighter room for more uptempo?.Hey no axe to grind,not comparing with the above or owt.New sounds are more than welcome on the scene.Wouldn't be good to all like the same thing.

Not sure what you mean by "passed quality control" though?.Sorry even further off topic.Pm's Epic?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert