What Are The Current Big Spins Of The Moment?

• Replies 149
  • Views 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest gordon russell

i do get out locally ie poole dorset and even went over to the southampton alldayer last week but im afraid i just keep hearing the same old records and then bugger me ruby sodding andrews and hey presto the dance floors rammed!This track it seems has been big since time begun. Im sure there must be better records than that around at the mo.

still dont get the clue unless of course you mean the parisians which aint half badyes.gif

Not being funny matebiggrin.gif .....you are suffering i,m afraid from living down south....as do l. The sets of music played are generally across the board wishy washy...floaty floaty something for everyone....which means f**k all for anyone....ya gotta get above birmingham for the sets of music that make ya wanna go out,that make the night brill. Went out last night locally( herts) the music was all over the place because of this across the bored policy.....two top djs in attendance and the crowd just won,t let em play their proper sets.....both having to resort to BIG OLDIES....go north young man and the light will shine upon yabiggrin.gif atb peggy babcock

Social source share

love that charles johnson track f**king awesome!

would take advice on how to dance to that duane yates thing,how fast! i used to have it years ago along with a couple of other things on the label.

sincerly when i play it out...is ever a dancefloor packer....however very easy to dance in free jive move!!! :thumbsup:

what you think on jessie mcfall and big dave not are awesome tooo???

Social source share

i'd love to hear it at cleethorpes ady but one of the reasons i dont get away too much is because i cant get matt and hutchins to get there act together and ive even missed prestatyn two years running now and its a helluva way to cleethorpes on your tod.Any chance of a soundclip?smile.gif

There's one on the 6TS site Vince and it's out on CD in time for Cleggy

Ady

Social source share

Guest Dante

There's one on the 6TS site Vince and it's out on CD in time for Cleggy

Ady

Will it be released in 45 format, Ady?

Social source share

Not being funny matebiggrin.gif .....you are suffering i,m afraid from living down south....as do l. The sets of music played are generally across the board wishy washy...floaty floaty something for everyone....which means f**k all for anyone....ya gotta get above birmingham for the sets of music that make ya wanna go out,that make the night brill. Went out last night locally( herts) the music was all over the place because of this across the bored policy.....two top djs in attendance and the crowd just won,t let em play their proper sets.....both having to resort to BIG OLDIES....go north young man and the light will shine upon yabiggrin.gif atb peggy babcock

blimey! did i get that right, you live in herts and you say that you live down south?Herts is so far north for me that i have to put a coat in the middle of summerlaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest east rob

fabulous record no mistake, has been around for a while now though

& it still sounds like driving home for christmasph34r.gif

Edited by east rob
Social source share

Over here in Hamburg one new found record makes everyone going mental.

Willie & The Mighty Magnificents - Funky (8) Corners (Acetate)

It`s the unknown vocal version of the great instrumental on All Platinum. A perfect mix between Frankie Crocker and Archie Bell with a soulful voice to die for.

Edited by Ralf Mehnert
Social source share

One for the future?..Tommy Dent on JM's auction."Soul thing" on Cobblestone.

One for the last 10 years here in NYC Kev, 3 of us within a few miles of each other have copies, a 4th surfaced recently and now resides in Scandinavia, then the one John auctioned today, stone killer 45

Social source share

One for the last 10 years here in NYC Kev, 3 of us within a few miles of each other have copies, a 4th surfaced recently and now resides in Scandinavia, then the one John auctioned today, stone killer 45

Hope it gets some exposure over here Pomonkey.Only 10 years of catching up to do.smile.gif

Social source share

Been a big number for Simon Preston for a couple of years now at the Bmth railway, top tunethumbsup.gif

interestingly it came out twice same label, same number but the other under the artist of "Shine" which was his nick name.

nice record but never a 'Big Spin' imo

can't think of any big spins really except

Two Plus Two

Parliaments

Salt & Pepper

Tommy & Derbys

Just Like the Weather acetate

Don't Bring Back Memories acetate

Willie Tee - Great but not super great

Edith Brown

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

Edith Brown - You did it

Again it's been around a few years and now getting the big spins it deserves. Rare and then some thumbsup.gif

love it.

Social source share

Funnily Edith Brown goes hand in hand with Tommy Dent as an "old" NY spin thanks to the esteemed Mr Finewine, check the date of the show, happy that this particular copy is now safely in my hands! thumbsup.gif

And the first known Two Plus Two was here too, Greg Tormo take a bow.

March 9, 2001 Showing solidarity with the Mardi Gras revelers!

Listen to this show!

Willie Weems & the Outlaws, Greens (instrumental)

Betty Harris, Trouble With My Lover

B.B. Daddy, Down in a Bag

Willie West, Fairchild

Huey Piano Smith, The Whatcha Call 'Em

Warren Lee, Mama Said We Can't Get Married

Eddie Bo, If It's Good to You, It's Good for You (Pt. 1)

Calvin Owens, The Cat (instrumental)

Little Ann, Going Down a One-Way Street (The Wrong Way)

Pic & Bill, It's Not You

Little Milton, Sometimey

Edith Brown, You Did It

Simtec Simmons, Limber Up (instrumental)

Edwin Starr, Has It Happened to You Yet

Shep, Fool to Fool

The New Holidays, My Baby Ain't No Plaything

The Hesitations, Soul Kind of Love

Edith Brown, You Think Love Is Something to Play With

The Virtues, Meditation of the Soul (instrumental)

Chris Kenner, Get on This Train

Curley Moore, Soul Train

Francine King, Two Fools

The Right Kind, My Money Is Funny (instrumental)

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

anyone mention that awesome 1963 ike and tina record that big Danny played at the old burnley.....what a dance tune that is

Social source share

Butch's Mighty Lovers c/u is the tune of the moment for me personallythumbsup.gif

Also have enjoyed Rudy Love - Sufferin Wrath over the last few years plus others too numerous to mention at places like Burnley & Lifeline. Also think the Tommy Dent track could be big if a UK DJ got a hold of one (anyone know who won the one on JM auction?)

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Butch's Mighty Lovers c/u is the tune of the moment for me personallythumbsup.gif

Also have enjoyed Rudy Love - Sufferin Wrath over the last few years plus others too numerous to mention at places like Burnley & Lifeline. Also think the Tommy Dent track could be big if a UK DJ got a hold of one (anyone know who won the one on JM auction?)

Same here Steve, Butch has been playing it for a few years now but still gets me pogoing.

Social source share

Still don't know where the JM Tommy Dent went, but a brief history of the record for you: Greg Tormo found the first which he traded to Finewine c. 1999, Finewine funnily right after that found the 2nd which he traded to me in mid 2000, Haim Kenig then had the 3rd in about 2003 which I won on ebay for very little despite it having a soundfile so happily sat on a spare for a fair old while until selling it to a good friend, then no more copies showed up for several years until 2 just a month apart recently, one was on ebay for a heartbeat then the clueless seller pulled it early and sold to Sebastian, think then Oscar R sent a copy to JM to auction (guessing it was you Oscar?), and as far as know that's it, us NY boys have quietly known about it for a decade+ and not seen any others floating around anywhere which is crazy considering it's on Cobblestone, Tommy and his band used to play here in Greenwich Village in the late 60's, oh to hear this live!! yes.gif Incidentally don't know the condition of Seb's but all the other copies are in great shape.

Social source share

Still don't know where the JM Tommy Dent went, but a brief history of the record for you: Greg Tormo found the first which he traded to Finewine c. 1999, Finewine funnily right after that found the 2nd which he traded to me in mid 2000, Haim Kenig then had the 3rd in about 2003 which I won on ebay for very little despite it having a soundfile so happily sat on a spare for a fair old while until selling it to a good friend, then no more copies showed up for several years until 2 just a month apart recently, one was on ebay for a heartbeat then the clueless seller pulled it early and sold to Sebastian, think then Oscar R sent a copy to JM to auction (guessing it was you Oscar?), and as far as know that's it, us NY boys have quietly known about it for a decade+ and not seen any others floating around anywhere which is crazy considering it's on Cobblestone, Tommy and his band used to play here in Greenwich Village in the late 60's, oh to hear this live!! :yes: Incidentally don't know the condition of Seb's but all the other copies are in great shape.

any chance a soundfile? haven't seen much of JM's auctions of late.

Social source share

Over here in Hamburg one new found record makes everyone going mental.

Willie & The Mighty Magnificents - Funky (8) Corners (Acetate)

It`s the unknown vocal version of the great instrumental on All Platinum. A perfect mix between Frankie Crocker and Archie Bell with a soulful voice to die for.

Presumably this is different to the vocal on the regular 45, as that's the band telling jokes?

Be interested to hear this.

Social source share

one was on ebay for a heartbeat then the clueless seller pulled it early and sold to Sebastian, [...] Incidentally don't know the condition of Seb's but all the other copies are in great shape.

That's correct. Have been after it since I heard it on Finewine's show in 2003/2004 or so. I was by the way the second highest bidder on the copy that Haim Kenig auctioned on eBay a couple of years back which you got cheap (I had no idea it would prove to be that rare!). The copy I now finally have gotten my hands on is in superb shape, somewhere between EX and EX+ on both sides and plays perfect. :thumbsup:

Don't know if refosoul is up, but I'll try to post both sides of the 45 if it's possible.

EDIT: just tried, refosoul is not working.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Don't know if refosoul is up, but I'll try to post both sides of the 45 if it's possible.

Should be back up and running next day or so Seb so if you can try then much appreciated, in the mean time I'll listen on the radio show :huh:

Social source share

That's correct. Have been after it since I heard it on Finewine's show in 2003/2004 or so. I was by the way the second highest bidder on the copy that Haim Kenig auctioned on eBay a couple of years back which you got cheap (I had no idea it would prove to be that rare!). The copy I now finally have gotten my hands on is in superb shape, somewhere between EX and EX+ on both sides and plays perfect. thumbsup.gif

Off topic - where's it gone? UK,Japan,back to the Usa?biggrin.gif .

On topic - Butch's Jean Carter - "I wanna know" on Decca acetate,,,,proper Northern been played for a while but...better then Parliaments imho(tin hat onlaugh.gif ).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert