Tripping On Your Love

1)Anybody know anything about this band?

2) Is the brilliant vocalist male or female?

3)Is this version better than Mavis Staples.....l think so.. :yes::thumbsup:

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

3)Is this version better than Mavis Staples.....l think so.. :yes::thumbsup:

(1) No other than they should be shot at birth for crime against music.

(2) Fuck knows, sounds like a screeching hyena with about no connection what ever to any soulful dance music I have ever heard, only topped off by the ridiculous corny guitar solo somewhere in it, I had lost the will to live by this time.

(3) Not as long as there is any sense or taste in the world, its not even fit to be mentioned on the same planet never mind soul forum

Its a piss poor pop version that you are letting the memories of Bradford overrule any taste, I probably danced to it at Bradford, but I also danced to J-Cap and Paradise Orchestra, must have been the strong beer, once I listened with my ears rather than my memories I realised they were second rate pop tunes, great times but like all great times over the years there has been some shit music played, this was one of the worst.

Arthur Miles is good in a different vein, but Mavis is a soul record, I like soul records.

The end!

Social source share

I've got it on Eternal 12" but I think it's taken from an album that came out late 80s. The original video is/was up on youtube but I can't find it. Lead singer is a bald white bloke not a hyena :ph34r:

Fab cover and like like you say superb voice. Group are German I believe.

Edited by MarkWhiteley
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Yeah, I remember this as a new release. There was a strange period when disaffected Southern Jazz Funkers got into modern soul as an alternative to house sounds..Not house but Balearic potential, I suppose....I seem to think DJ Bob Jones had something to do with it. He certainly used to play it a lot. Got various different white labels, 12"s etc that I got sent when it came out. Good record.

Social source share

Hey don't beat around the bush tell us what you really think.. :yes::D

Having a bad day so thanks for the opportunity to rant, don't really go into Freebasing now so have lots of pent up frustration just waiting on a thread like this. :yes:

l loved The Paradise Orchestra and J.Cap (Can't remember the title though)

It was Tell Me Why, for a few weeks at Bradford it was the most wanted tune I could imagine, I found it in local HMV and played it at home, it sounded like German marching band music played backwards and Paul McCartney singing with his nuts in a wrench. :D

I loved them at the time, but it was definitely a time and a place thing.

Think beer might have been a typo.. :D

My lawyer says I really couldn't comment. :thumbsup:

You can all argue how you like but just accept I am right and the world will be a better place, let go of the Balaeric pop tunes pretending you are deaf raver and feel your soul.

There that beats 2 hours of therapy, off for a fish supper by the seaside, I expect you all to have realised I am right by the time I return.

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest son of stan

No. I seem to think they were just a bunch of UK sessioners who were put together to make this record. I worked in the music biz in those days and that's how I remember it.

Social source share

I remember early Southport Weekenders (Pre Southport Weekender13 ) the Soul Room was being taken over by this style of music and the version by A Way of Life was playing out someones set, before Colin Curtis (Top Man) came on took the record off half way through and I quote "enough of this *?"%$^ stuff lets have some real SOUL" banged on Staples Singers version to a fantastic roar from the packed soul room the rest of the night was quality Soul mainly 70s. The room was kicking all night.

Mavis gets my vote still, although I have a leaning as well to the TWOL version......open minded is one thing, tatse is another I like to think I have both.

TMIB

Edited by reforee
Social source share

3)Is this version better than Mavis Staples.....l think so.. yes.gif:lol:

Old Rave period version, I mean it was spun at places like the Hummingbird in 89/90, its not Rave in style at all, But things like James -Come Home -Weatherall Mix, Chris Rea - Josephine etc were all enders back then, good version...and cheap!!

mal

Social source share

PHILLIP MITCHELL-TRIPPIN ON YOUR LOVE-IN THE BEGINING CD -

THE VERSION , NO HE WROTE ITthumbsup.gif

Hi Tim, I didn't know that Phil had sang a version. and yes I did buy the CD when it came out, just never got around to playing it.:shhh:

I get loads of ear bashing of Louise, "Why have you bought more CDs again, for you never play em.":laugh:

Dave.

Social source share

......open minded is one thing, tatse is another I like to think I have both.

TMIB

I'm with You and Jock all the way on this, Dave.

There's a view sometimes that in order to be 'open minded' or 'enlightened' that somehow means you need to abandon good taste and calibre.

Anyone who thinks any of these 'versions' are in the same league as the Staples must have there ears painted on and really needs to get 'enlightened' to what Soul Music really is!

Have always felt its important to be receptive but also discerning.

This 'I Love It All' approach held by some really means (to me at least) that they have no 'quality control' filter in the tastebuds - leaving you open to any old shite that comes along!

The fact is, most dance records (Northern, Modern or whatever) are average or worse when it comes to Soulful content.

These dire covers are just average 'Dance' Music and have no place on an authentic or credible Soul Music scene.

Burn Baby Burn!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Tim, I didn't know that Phil had sang a version. and yes I did buy the CD when it came out, just never got around to playing it.:shhh:

I get loads of ear bashing of Louise, "Why have you bought more CDs again, for you never play em.":laugh:

Dave.

hi dave and lou

his 2 cds are very good imo,youll have to get an i pod for non stop listening:laugh: its so easy to by pass tracks

see you in a few weeks

cheers

T

Social source share

There's a view sometimes that in order to be 'open minded' or 'enlightened' that somehow means you need to abandon good taste and calibre.

Anyone who thinks any of these 'versions' are in the same league as the Staples must have there ears painted on and really needs to get 'enlightened' to what Soul Music really is!

This 'I Love It All' approach held by some really means (to me at least) that they have no 'quality control' filter in the tastebuds - leaving you open to any old shite that comes along!

The fact is, most dance records (Northern, Modern or whatever) are average or worse when it comes to Soulful content.

These dire covers are just average 'Dance' Music and have no place on an authentic or credible Soul Music scene.

Burn Baby Burn!

biggrin.gif

Sean

I like alot of versions of it but the best is from this LP.

post-9388-12757675490526_thumb.jpg

post-9388-12757676228832_thumb.jpg

post-9388-12757675490526_thumb.jpg

post-9388-12757676228832_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Burn Baby Burn!

:D

Sean

I don't really agree with you. The AWOL record is not a bad record at all. In fact it's rather good. Certainly not "shite". I can't understand why you'd think that? In what way is it? Maybe not as good as the Staples Singers version. Just a different record...And I don't see any reason why we shouldn't talk about it if folk are interested in doing so.

Social source share

I don't really agree with you. The AWOL record is not a bad record at all. In fact it's rather good. Certainly not "shite". I can't understand why you'd think that? In what way is it? Maybe not as good as the Staples Singers version. Just a different record...And I don't see any reason why we shouldn't talk about it if folk are interested in doing so.

That's cool.

You don't have to agree with me.

Go ahead and talk about it until you're blue in the face.

And I didn't say it was shite.

I simply said the 'I Love it All' approach leaves one open to any old shite.

And, from my perspective, that is true.

Sean

Social source share

That's cool.

You don't have to agree with me.

Go ahead and talk about it until you're blue in the face.

And I didn't say it was shite.

I simply said the 'I Love it All' approach leaves one open to any old shite.

And, from my perspective, that is true.

Sean

I know which version we will be hearing at Just Soul - bring it on!!!

Social source share

I remember early Southport Weekenders (Pre Southport Weekender13 ) the Soul Room was being taken over by this style of music and the version by A Way of Life was playing out someones set, before Colin Curtis (Top Man) came on took the record off half way through and I quote "enough of this *?"%$^ stuff lets have some real SOUL" banged on Staples Singers version to a fantastic roar from the packed soul room the rest of the night was quality Soul mainly 70s. The room was kicking all night.

Mavis gets my vote still, although I have a leaning as well to the TWOL version......open minded is one thing, tatse is another I like to think I have both.

TMIB

That wasn't the only time he did something like that, god bless him and long may he DJ

He has a new radio show on Starpoint, worth catching, 'The Master At Work'

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Kin ell Sean it's just a record.....that's all.... yes.gif:lol:

Or maybe an average cover of a GREAT Soul record!

You were the one who asked the question "Is this version better than Mavis Staples?" and I'm saying I don't think so!

Got little tolerance for poor covers, Webby.

It's desecration of the art mate.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

So hot tonight,mate that you won't need your covers...(I would like to thank the 'Carry On Up The Soul Source' cast and crew for that last comment of mine.. :ohmy:thumbsup.gif ) but isn't Mavis a cover of the Prince Philip Mitchell original?? And what do you think of Arthur Miles and Kenny Thomas's version then? thumbsup.gif:lol:

Phillip Mitchell is the writer. His version above was taken from a complete album of his own compositions (writers demos). The demo was not originally released and the Staples is not an 'inferior' cover of that, by any stretch of the imagination.

None of the other versions you refer to are worthy of consideration (IMO) when you have a real Soul gem such as the Staples readily available. Its like comparing a diamond with cubit zirconia or glass.

No comparison on close examination.

To be honest mate, you really couldn't have picked a worse tune to start making comparisons on. The Staples is a hallowed 100% Real Soul record. The 'covers' just don't measure up and never can.

Sorry!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Paul

I'm surprised everyone isn't familiar with the version by A Way Of Life.

It was very popular as a new release, it almost charted (or maybe it charted low?) and was widely available on 7", 12", CD single and cassette single. In fact there were different 12" issues with different mixes.

I thought it was very good, excellent vocals (Michael Lee Marsden I think he's called) and atmospheric guitar. It came out at the time when dance / house music was influenced by the 'Balearic' style.

By the way, it's also correct that Phillip Mitchell wrote the song but it has always been confused with another song and wrongly credited. We told Phillip's publishers about this but they don't seem to have done anything to resolve the issue - very odd considering the amount of royalties they should have earned from the hit version by Kenny Thomas (which I thought was disappointing).

I also liked the Arthur Miles version but of course, as Sean said, the Mavis Staples version is faultless.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

What do you mean 'START'...? I've done loads of comparisons on here.. :thumbsup:

Hey deep down we all love this music of ours, and the day me,you and other people stop bothering is the day l start worrying...Mind you, you always have to remember that 'Deep Down' it is me that is right.... :lol::ohmy:laugh.gif

I wish it were true Webby. Most people don't love the music deep down.

Less than 5% ever 'really' listen at all - see Jocks post above referring to 'ears'.

For most, its 'just a record', a melody, a 'tune' or something to dance to.

They don't listen 'deeply' to what's going on in the music, the lyrics, the emotion, the vocal interplay.

To many, its just background music to a good night out - which is all well and good, but I don't believe it has anything to do with real love of the art of Soul music.

And I KNOW I'm right.

thumbsup.gif

Sea

Social source share

Less than 5% ever 'really' listen at all - see Jocks post above referring to 'ears'.

They don't listen 'deeply' to what's going on in the music, the lyrics, the emotion, the vocal interplay.

To many, its just background music to a good night out - which is all well and good, but I don't believe it has anything to do with real love of the art of Soul music.

And I KNOW I'm right.

thumbsup.gif

Sea

A BRILLIANT RESPONSE SEAN AND SO VERY VERY TRUE :lol:

AREN'T YOU GLAD I HAD U AS AN APPRENTICE :ohmy::thumbsup:

Best REgards

Ash thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Paul

And I KNOW I'm right.

thumbsup.gif

Sea

Very true.

Most people are initially attracted by melodies, rhythm patterns and beats (even the tempo). And, sadly, many people "close their ears" to music which isn't in their preferred range of tempos etc.

Obviously, most soul fans are also attracted by voices and harmonies but many are still preoccupied with tempos and rhythms. And some of course are also preoccupied with rarity and exclusivity.

And this is why thousands of great tracks have always been overlooked by most people, often just because they may be slow or uncommercial or whatever.

I'm not criticising anyone, we're all different, but I wish more people would listen to music with their ears and open their minds to a variety of styles. Many people are missing on some great music.

Social source share

Sorry Sean,l don't want to be pedantic,but 5% of whom....SS fans....the general public...or who? :thumbsup:

Less than 5% of those who say they are into music, Webby.

I think its a fair reflection of the Soul scene also.

To most, the 'scene' and its many attractions are more important than the music itself.

Its not a criticism though, just an observation of the way it is.

Ask your average 'Soul fan' at a Soul Night what his favourite 'Deep Soul' record is and you'll be lucky if he grunts back at ya.

It's because he (she) has never really 'LISTENED' to it - the 'depth' is in all REAL Soul music.

Big subject this.

Goes way beyond the boogie!

Sean

Social source share

Guest Paul

Dave.

Hello Dave,

It's pretty obvious that you bought the CD just because I wrote the liner notes.

Now isn't that the truth? (just say "yes")

:no:

Social source share

(1) No other than they should be shot at birth for crime against music.

(2) Fuck knows, sounds like a screeching hyena with about no connection what ever to any soulful dance music I have ever heard, only topped off by the ridiculous corny guitar solo somewhere in it, I had lost the will to live by this time.

(3) Not as long as there is any sense or taste in the world, its not even fit to be mentioned on the same planet never mind soul forum

Its a piss poor pop version that you are letting the memories of Bradford overrule any taste, I probably danced to it at Bradford, but I also danced to J-Cap and Paradise Orchestra, must have been the strong beer, once I listened with my ears rather than my memories I realised they were second rate pop tunes, great times but like all great times over the years there has been some shit music played, this was one of the worst.

Arthur Miles is good in a different vein, but Mavis is a soul record, I like soul records.

The end!

Burn Baby Burn!

Sean

2 guys with passionate opinions....................................... they do get it wrong the odd time tho god love em:hatsoff2:

dave

Social source share

2 guys with passionate opinions....................................... they do get it wrong the odd time tho god love em:hatsoff2:

dave

There's no right or wrong, Dave.

Its a question of 'taste' and that's an individual and personal trait.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty uncompromising when it comes to second rate material, especially when there's no need for it - the original being far superior in the case of this particular track.

Think Soul Fans need to get a bit more 'passionate' about their music. Its being dumbed down (especially on the Modern scene, but also 'across the board' these days) by poor quality dance fodder, that many find acceptable, but my own taste buds just won't tolerate.

Second rate will always mean second best, in my book.

But for those who are prepared to take McDonalds over Prime Steak, good luck to em :D

Sean

Social source share

I'll be the first to admit, I'm pretty uncompromising when it comes to second rate material, especially when there's no need for it - the original being far superior in the case of this particular track.

Think Soul Fans need to get a bit more 'passionate' about their music. Its being dumbed down (especially on the Modern scene, but also 'across the board' these days) by poor quality dance fodder, that many find acceptable, but my own taste buds just won't tolerate.

But for those who are prepared to take McDonalds over Prime Steak, good luck to em :D

Sean

Do you think we may be able to change your mind on this matter

Social source share

Sean, don't give me that Prime Steak bollocks....please.....when you need feeding you'll eat anything... :D

Agreed, unless you have a choice... and as Soul fans we DO have a choice!

There is no shortage of 100% Real prime meat around.

It's just that the 95% (I was referring to earlier) don't really mind what they indulge in... cos they can't tell the difference.

Sean

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I'm surprised everyone isn't familiar with the version by A Way Of Life.

It was very popular as a new release, it almost charted (or maybe it charted low?) and was widely available on 7", 12", CD single and cassette single. In fact there were different 12" issues with different mixes.

I thought it was very good, excellent vocals (Michael Lee Marsden I think he's called) and atmospheric guitar. It came out at the time when dance / house music was influenced by the 'Balearic' style.

Yes. That is how I remember it. Very fond memories of that era. It's important to remember these things in context, as it were.....:smile:

BTW I don't remember a version of this by Arthur Miles but there was a great record by him called "I need a helping hand" that was played around the same time...

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Or maybe an average cover of a GREAT Soul record!

Got little tolerance for poor covers, Webby.

It's desecration of the art mate.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Have to agree with Sean on this;has someone who is pretty open minded to all black music:

Staples Sisters is the best/much more soulful.

I did think Arthur Miles did a decent version but best track on that lp was Helping hand.

The one your all talking ,not for me.

Was having this debate about cover versions with a mate Fri night,sometimes people like a certain version cos it was the first one they heard.

Has a rule i`m not into cover versions but now and again one is better then original:Just you and me-Eramus Hall over J.r Bailey`s original.I`m sure there`s loads morewhistling.gif

Social source share

Have to agree with Sean on this;has someone who is pretty open minded to all black music:

Staples Sisters is the best/much more soulful.

:thumbsup: of course it is the best/much more soulful

howerver...

AWOL made it into a completely different record with their version. In its own right, it is a damn good soulful record

It is only when the comparison are made that one shines over the other.

Social source share

Yes. That is how I remember it. Very fond memories of that era. It's important to remember these things in context, as it were.....smile.gif

BTW I don't remember a version of this by Arthur Miles but there was a great record by him called "I need a helping hand" that was played around the same time...

"Trippin' On Your Love" was on the flip side of "Helping Hand"

Social source share

Guest son of stan

"Trippin' On Your Love" was on the flip side of "Helping Hand"

Was it? Cool. I've got the 12" which I bought at the time. Don't think I've ever looked at the b-side and its too late to go into the record room and trawl thru the expedit to check....

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

But for those who are prepared to take McDonalds over Prime Steak, good luck to em biggrin.gif

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I know I don't make sense to anybody rolleyes.gif

but Sean I've gotta say you're one of the few on here that makes any fooking sense to me.

biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert