Different Mixes On Uk And Us 7" Releases?

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

The Four Tops "Don't Bring Back Memories" is a record I've known and loved for more years than I care to remember but from the UK TMG release. I recently picked up the US 7" and imagine my surprise -its a totally different mix! Much better. I'm also aware that this was popular on the NY disco scene, played by the likes of Grasso, Mancuso, Siano, etc and one of the first records where djs would get two copies to play side by side in order to extend the break. I never quite got that from the UK release but hearing the US one it all makes sense!

Anyway. Are there any other UK / US 7" releases where they put out different mixes? I can think of a couple more off the top of my head:

• Lou Johnson "Unsatisfied" (UK release goes on longer than the US version)
  • Louise Freeman "I Can Do It If I see It" (UK release has a better intro and a much punchier mix..)

Social source share

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest son of stan

DEBBIE TAYLOR JUST CARNT PAY SLIGHTLY DIFFERANT ?

Yes. I've got the UK release but have heard a different mix played out..I thought it was a 12" or something.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

UNSATISFIED EVEN LONGER ON THE KENT CD !

That reminds me. Bobby Bland, "I ain't myself any more" has a totally different, sparser, mix on the 80s Kent LP "The Soulful Side of Bobby Bland" than on the OG US 7". Grittier with hard drums. Great. I don't know whether they realised that at the time. Doesn't mention it on the sleevenotes.

Social source share

The Four Tops "Don't Bring Back Memories" is a record I've known and loved for more years than I care to remember but from the UK TMG release. I recently picked up the US 7" and imagine my surprise -its a totally different mix! Much better. I'm also aware that this was popular on the NY disco scene, played by the likes of Grasso, Mancuso, Siano, etc and one of the first records where djs would get two copies to play side by side in order to extend the break. I never quite got that from the UK release but hearing the US one it all makes sense!

Anyway. Are there any other UK / US 7" releases where they put out different mixes? I can think of a couple more off the top of my head:

• Lou Johnson "Unsatisfied" (UK release goes on longer than the US version)
  • Louise Freeman "I Can Do It If I see It" (UK release has a better intro and a much punchier mix..)

I asked a week back if heatwave "ain't no half steppin'" was released on a 7" in a non-US country because it wasn't released on a 7 in the US. I just got the UK GTO 45 it in the mail, it is like a totally different track almost, someone totally remixed it. It's sped up with parts from the album version cut and pasted at different parts.

Not exactly your criteria because it wasn't released on 7" in the US but it is totally different than the US album. Anyone know if I can get the album version on a 7" somewhere? probably not at this point.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I asked a week back if heatwave "ain't no half steppin'" was released on a 7" in a non-US country because it wasn't released on a 7 in the US. I just got the UK GTO 45 it in the mail, it is like a totally different track almost, someone totally remixed it. It's sped up with parts from the album version cut and pasted at different parts.

Not exactly your criteria because it wasn't released on 7" in the US but it is totally different than the US album. Anyone know if I can get the album version on a 7" somewhere? probably not at this point.

That sounds crazy and right up my strasse. Bit like Crown Heights Affair, "Say A Prayer..." 12"? The guy behind Heatwave was well clever and went on to do some of Michael Jackson's best moments.Thanks for the tip - will look out for it.

Social source share

That sounds crazy and right up my strasse. Bit like Crown Heights Affair, "Say A Prayer..." 12"? The guy behind Heatwave was well clever and went on to do some of Michael Jackson's best moments.Thanks for the tip - will look out for it.

I listened to it a bunch of times and can't actually figure out what how they did it. The guitar part sounds way more sped up than the vocals, which are only slightly sped up. Slowing down the track with the pitch slider so that the guitar is tuned like the original makes the vocals sound crazy slow. It doesn't sound like a different take though. That technology did not exist in the 70s as far as I know.

Social source share

I've noticed a lot of differences between UK and US 7" presses over the years. Obviously there's loads of Disco era anomalies but for the older stuff the most noticeable are the late 70's London re-issue of Bobby Paris "Night Owl" and Yvonne Baker "You Didn't Say A Word". Both recordings sound brighter than the U.S. mixes and you can actually hear the tracks to the end - on the Bobby Paris you can actually hear the horns cut out completely instead of going in the fade. Also the London pressing of Larry Saunders "On The Real Side" is tons better than the U.S. pressing.

Also the UK 7" of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr "Shine On Silver Moon" is totally different to the 12" mix - almost a different record - less gimmicky percussion and more of a straight song......

I'll try and dig out some more oddball ones.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest son of stan

I've noticed a lot of differences between UK and US 7" presses over the years. Obviously there's loads of Disco era anomalies but for the older stuff the most noticeable are the late 70's London re-issue of Bobby Paris "Night Owl" and Yvonne Baker "You Didn't Say A Word". Both recordings sound brighter than the U.S. mixes and you can actually hear the tracks to the end - on the Bobby Paris you can actually hear the horns cut out completely instead of going in the fade. Also the London pressing of Larry Saunders "On The Real Side" is tons better than the U.S. pressing.

Also the UK 7" of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr "Shine On Silver Moon" is totally different to the 12" mix - almost a different record - less gimmicky percussion and more of a straight song......

I'll try and dig out some more oddball ones.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Please do, Ian. This is exactly the sort of response that i was hoping for, Thanks, Paul.

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest TONY ROUNCE

I could never be president......Johnny Taylor on the UK 45 sounds quite flat, but the american 45 has a lot more punch to it.

Rob h.

US "Love Bones" 45 is different, too - has no backing vocals.

But as I've said before on here and elsewhere, 'different UK mixes' were more often than not the result of UK 45s being dubbed from US 45s, rather than being taken from tapes. Most mid-late 60s Tamla Motown UK issues were disc dubs, for example. Having grown up listening to these, I often find the US equivalents to be 'odd sounding' when I hear something that I've been used to hearing the same way for decades!

Quite a few examples towards the tail end of the 60s of US album mixes being used for UK 45s, particularly once the stereo era arrives. I suspect that's the case with both "I Could Never Be President" and the record that started this topic, "Don't Bring Back Memories" i.e that they are stereo mixes, 'folded' into mono with a resultant shift in sound, on the UK 45s.

"Love Bones", as mentioned above, has the backing vocals on the stereo LP version, so I imagine that is what was used to create the mono UK single.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You're confusing the record's producer, Barry Blue - who didn't go on to do anything with MJ - with Heatwave group member and chief songwriter Rod Temperton - who did. But he didn't remix any of Heatwave's tracks, not ever...

Social source share

William Hunt "Would you believe" Streamisde - came out on a short lived UK label called Camp with the artist credit as Willie Amos Hunt. Same song and singer but totally different versions.

Interesting - I've only ever heard the UK version.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

SPINNERS / ARE YOU READY FOR LOVE atlantic

the us version is a bit more uptempo than the uk,

joe.

Again, that could just be a mastering error on (probably) UK Atlantic's part. They sound like the same recording to me.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert