4 Perfections - I'm Not Strong Enough

Hi Roger, I'm referring to the instrumental version, or is the one you've scanned, it?

Hi Mark

Sorry, I've Just arrived home from Nights, didn't notice the Inst in your Question.

So as far as I'm aware, the Instrumental didn't come out on Party Time.

Social source share

Hi Mark

Sorry, I've Just arrived home from Nights, didn't notice the Inst in your Question.

So as far as I'm aware, the Instrumental didn't come out on Party Time.

I released the instrumental on Inferno as b side to vocal. Licenced it from PartyTime/ShowTime in Philly, the lovely guy who owned the label, Irving Weinroth, could not find the instrumental to begin with and send me a great letter saying he was enclosing what he considered a better instrumental entitled "The Funky Donkey". I had to politely tell him it was not suitable!

Social source share

I released the instrumental on Inferno as b side to vocal. Licenced it from PartyTime/ShowTime in Philly, the lovely guy who owned the label, Irving Weinroth, could not find the instrumental to begin with and send me a great letter saying he was enclosing what he considered a better instrumental entitled "The Funky Donkey". I had to politely tell him it was not suitable!

laugh.gif:yes::yes::lol:
Social source share

Haha, nice sidenote, Neil!!! :D

Social source share

As Neil rightly says the Four Perfections record was owned by Irving Weinroth and the instrumental version never came out on ''Partytime''. I had it done for the Cream release at the Grand Prix studio in Philadelphia in 1976 ish. I left Global/Cream records due to a bust up with Global's owner ,Ed Balbier, just before I could get the record pressed. Some time later Global got round to pressing it but didn't promote it and I only found out years later that it had been issued. Neil issued the vocal and instrumental on Inferno as there was still a demand for it. The missing tape probably got lost when Global shut down and the original studio tape may have been left at Grand Prix. As backing tracks go I think it grooves along quite nicely and may feature some of Phillys top session men but I never thought to ask Irving at the time. In those days I don't remember anybody caring too much about who played on records.

Rick Cooper

I was on the promo list got all the Cream releases bar the Four Perfections for some reason, understand now.

Social source share

As Chalky once described this as "Rob Wigley's favourite oldie"-I couldn't imagine just playing a straight Instrumental out instead of the vocal as I just LOVE this record and thinking about it I think Chalky had my cream copy off me years ago so I can't play it to check !!laugh.giflaugh.gif

Rob

Social source share

• 3 years later...

The various vinyl releases of Ain't Nothing But A House Party all note the songwriters as Del Sharh and Joe Thomas but just came across this piece of sheet music which notes Joe Thomas and Carl Fisher as the songwriters ...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180732998090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Del Sharh IS Carl Fisher.

Carl Fisher was of course a prolific songwriter as well as a founding member of The Vibrations.  He also penned The Volcanos tracks  "Storm Warning" and "The Laws Of Love". Joe Thomas, who also co wrote "I'm Not Strong Enough", if I remember correctly, think went on to became a drummer with a number of famous artists including Curtis Mayfield?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

May well be wrong but I'm almost certain I bought vocal and instrumental versions from Global on a green Soul Fox boot 45,!

So was that before the Cream and Inferno releases? Maybe The Soul Fox "Borrowed" the tape?

Please tell me I'm not imagining this!!........

Triode

(I think)

Social source share

The often overlooked release on Inferno from the Irving Weinroth connection is "Got To Get Closer To My Love" by The Showstoppers which we put out as the b side to "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty"...it was first worldwide released of GTGCTML and Rick Cooper and Francis Tee were the ones who tipped of us and I think supplied a tape or disc to dub from.

Sold over 6,000, which isn't bad for such an obscure record, with sales being down to "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty".

Neil

• Helpful 3
Social source share

The often overlooked release on Inferno from the Irving Weinroth connection is "Got To Get Closer To My Love" by The Showstoppers which we put out as the b side to "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty"...it was first worldwide released of GTGCTML and Rick Cooper and Francis Tee were the ones who tipped of us and I think supplied a tape or disc to dub from.

Sold over 6,000, which isn't bad for such an obscure record, with sales being down to "Ain't Nothing But A Houseparty".

Neil

One of the best 'previously unreleased' 45s there is. :thumbsup:  

Have a few colourful anecdotes relating to the Weinroths and their studio 'etiquette' coming in the book I'm putting the finishing touches to.  

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

One of the best 'previously unreleased' 45s there is. :thumbsup:  

Have a few colourful anecdotes relating to the Weinroths and their studio 'etiquette' coming in the book I'm putting the finishing touches to.  

Regards,

Dave

Dave 

I met Irving Weinroth in Philly once when he gave me the tapes for Four Perfections and he told me that the "Kip Gainsboro" credited as producer was a made up name,Kip was the family dog and Gainsboro was their street address at the time. The production is top rate so who was the real producer, perhaps all will be revealed in your book. The sax is quite Mike Terryish ,was he on it ?

Irving also said he had never heard of, or done a deal with Simon Sousson for the Soul Galore boot.

Rick

Social source share

Dave 

I met Irving Weinroth in Philly once when he gave me the tapes for Four Perfections and he told me that the "Kip Gainsboro" credited as producer was a made up name,Kip was the family dog and Gainsboro was their street address at the time. The production is top rate so who was the real producer, perhaps all will be revealed in your book. The sax is quite Mike Terryish ,was he on it ?

Irving also said he had never heard of, or done a deal with Simon Sousson for the Soul Galore boot.

Rick

Hi Rick,

No  Mike Terry involvement but, without revealing to much at this stage, the relationship between The Four Perfections and The Weinroths wasn't too good.    

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

all partytime copies seem to have surface noise on the intro....also on the soul galore 45 which was dubbed from a  partytime 45..were the cream/ inferno copies cleaned up at all

Dave 

The Cream release was done from the tape supplied by Partytime/Irvin Weinroth .He got the instrumental done at Grand Prix studios in Philly so must have used the session tape to do this. I should think he took the vocal of this tape rather than the tape used in the sixties which has the distortion on the intro. My Cream copy sounds fine but as you say the Partytime copies have a bit of hiss at the start.

Rick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!