Deletion Drill Holes

i just picked up a copy of Betty Harris 'trouble with my lover' for 8 pounds from a british seller on ebay. i think i got it cheap because he listed it as "VG with deletion drill hole". i assumed he meant it was vg and just happened to have a drill hole.

...but when i got it i was (pleasantly) surprised that it was STONE MINT except for the drill hole!

do sellers/buyers normally make such a big deal out of the BB hole? i never even notice!

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

i just picked up a copy of Betty Harris 'trouble with my lover' for 8 pounds from a british seller on ebay. i think i got it cheap because he listed it as "VG with deletion drill hole". i assumed he meant it was vg and just happened to have a drill hole.

...but when i got it i was (pleasantly) surprised that it was STONE MINT except for the drill hole!

do sellers/buyers normally make such a big deal out of the BB hole? i never even notice!

Doesn't make any difference unless it's going through the artist/title as far as I'm concerned

Social source share

I'd prefer a copy without a drill hole, and I would pay a bit more for it - but not much. It's not a big issue, but it matters (at least to me).

I think you had a good deal there ;-)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Personally I couldn't care less, as long as the DH is going through the label and not the deadwax...

...oh and obviously through the grooves is a no-no, too...:rolleyes:

I would, however, always make a point of mentioning a DH in a sales listing as I know some are more particular than I...

Social source share

Depends on the tune - some almost always have dh

But - I prefer a record without a dh where ever possible.

I wouldn't necessarily not buy a tune with a dh or down grade a record I was selling.

But again, imho, a seller should always list any deviations from mint inc dh's

Regards

Greg.

Social source share

Saw a copy of Terry Callier-Look at me now- on Cadet go through Ebay last year,with the deletion hole actually through the play area.

IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH A BIT OF POLLYFILLA, HOWARD :thumbup:

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, 20TH JUNE, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

Social source share

IT'S AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH A BIT OF POLLYFILLA, HOWARD :lol:

BRI PINCH

SUNDAY CHILLOUT@HORSE AND GROOM, 20TH JUNE, EAST LAITH GATE, DONCASTER.

ITS RAYT EASY TO FILE DOWN AND SMOOTH OVER ANALL :yes::thumbup:

Social source share

I dont think it makes any difference to the price of an in-demander or a little personal want these days.

But it sort of gives you an idea of what issues were actually pressed in quantity in the usa, recieved a geraral release and then all the unsold stock of the commercial flop

was returned to the distributors over there to be then brought back to the uk usually in quantity by soul / record dealers importing deleted 45s over here.

How many of the recent big quantity finds of previously rare usa Soul 45s have drill holes in them ?

Did the Royal Esquires, Clara Hardy and again the recent Four Tracks find , have any of these 45s got deletion holes in them ? (NO)

So personally I am really cautious if I see an mint issue of somthing that has been popular on the Soul scene for years, that then turns up without a deletion hole !!!

The only question then is how many copys have been found (usually it seems it is the whole production run that was somehow lost in distribution)

But it is great to get a 45 without the deletion hole - that has obviously been bought, owned and loved buy someone who actually bought it at the time of release.

You know - the records you have with names written on the labels , initials marked on in biro etc.

These records are the ones that may have a little more crackle n pop on them than the imported unsold store stock, but to me - they are the most intresting 45s.

Edited by mossy
Social source share

i don't mind drill holes in the label, but as mentioned above, through the runout & playing surface bothers me. I saw a Bobby Bryant LP on Cadet in a store once which had been drilled through the cover, but not through the centre, it was off centre & went right through the middle of the last track sad.gif

Social source share

I doubt the seller downgraded for the drill hole, especially if it was graded as you describe. It was probably just a very conservative grader.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Doesn't bother me at all. As noted above, it just signifies that the record was dead stock sold on cheap as a "cut out" - like when you get an LP with a little notch on the cover or the top right hand corner missing or something. Often better condition than something that was actually bought and played by someone at the time of release.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert