Guest Dan the mod

like : Little Richie : Just Another Heartache

vibrations : cause your mine

the tempos countdown here i come

Social source share

like : Little Richie : Just Another Heartache

vibrations : cause your mine

the tempos countdown here i come

Think you miss read the thread it's about tailor made northern soul records you either like or most probably don't, all the above records are 1960's records way before the northern soul scene, so defo not tailor mades.

Social source share

Surely you can't mean "Come On And Live" b/w "Planing This Moment" on Rika/Riker (spelling?)

A great double sider, I'm sure that wes pressed on Soul Galore.

If it was tailor-made it has had me fooled for 36 years.laugh.gif

Dave.

[/quote

________

No Dave not a tailor made - as usual :( people speaking "Andrew Barrax" on here.

________

re "Love really hurts without you" although not a tailor made always felt this was made with an 'ear' to the northern scene - late 75 wasn't it?.

Agree with others on NO SMOKING, originally not a tailor made.

No one yet mentioned those other Black Magic things? Or the truly dreadful "Sounds of Lancashire" :thumbup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

A great double sider, I'm sure that wes pressed on Soul Galore.

If it was tailor-made it has had me fooled for 36 years.laugh.gif

Dave.

[/quote

________

No Dave not a tailor made - as usual :( people speaking "Andrew Barrax" on here.

________

re "Love really hurts without you" although not a tailor made always felt this was made with an 'ear' to the northern scene - late 75 wasn't it?.

Agree with others on NO SMOKING, originally not a tailor made.

No one yet mentioned those other Black Magic things? Or the truly dreadful "Sounds of Lancashire" :thumbup:

If you read my post i asked whether it was a TM and said its good if it is.angry.gif

Social source share

Feathers on UK Bell with Lost Summer Love, Julie Rogers on UK Pye with Long After Tonight Is All over,legitimate non northern soul cash in Gene Latter-Sign On The Dotted Line on the silver/red Spark and then the deep blue spark and then the northern soul cash in on the blue/yellow spark.....Barry Kingston again.The Goodies with Black Pudding Bertha (northern soul comedy cash in) who appeared on Top Of The Pops with big flat caps and massive black puddings......Bill Oddie should have known better.There was a version of Spring Rain by The Destiny Orchestra which was a definate cash in.6x6 The Allnight Band (whoever they were) .Wasnt there a label or series on a major called Soul Peeper which had an eye on northern releases

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Feathers on UK Bell with Lost Summer Love, Julie Rogers on UK Pye with Long After Tonight Is All over,legitimate non northern soul cash in Gene Latter-Sign On The Dotted Line on the silver/red Spark and then the deep blue spark and then the northern soul cash in on the blue/yellow spark.....Barry Kingston again.The Goodies with Black Pudding Bertha (northern soul comedy cash in) who appeared on Top Of The Pops with big flat caps and massive black puddings......Bill Oddie should have known better.There was a version of Spring Rain by The Destiny Orchestra which was a definate cash in.6x6 The Allnight Band (whoever they were) .Wasnt there a label or series on a major called Soul Peeper which had an eye on northern releases

Hey Wiggy these are covers or is it revival ? surely were on about records actuely writen for the "northern" scene.....not Bill Oddie.

Social source share

No they are not :D

THE CHOSEN FEW - FOOTSEE - PYE ACITATE -

ScannedImage-7.jpg

aye up ken,

well spotted and i stand corrected over that minor oversight but fook! i havent seen one of these since the st. giles y.c. all-nighters!.

and webby lad,

pretention is the soul fox strings, BUT, its actually the belles band ( as described on the original acetate)

DO YOU KNOW,....I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED IF IT WASNT THE SESSION MUSICIANS POSING AS THE BOB & EARL BAND OF "MY LITTLE GIRL".FAME.

SIMON DID DOCTOR IT THOUGH WITH THE STRING SECTION WHERE THE VOCALS SHOULD BE - THE ORIGINAL BACKING TRACK IS....EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE TIN!!.

Social source share

SORRY KEN,

NOW IM TOTALLY MIFFED....NOT WITH YOU MATE, BUT THE FACT THIS IS ANOTHER DIFFERENT TAKE....YES ITS AN ACETATE AND IT HASNT BEEN DOCTORED BUT THATS AS FAR AS IT GOES....I HAVE TO TELL YOU THE ONE I REMEMBER IS DIFFERENT FROM THIS....IT HAS A DISTINCT BREAK IN THE MIDDLE AND CRYSTAL CLEAR CAR HORNS THEN A TEN BEAT RAP OF DRUM STICKS THEN BACK AT FULL PELT,....WHAT YOU HAVE THERE IS A DIFFERENT TAKE.....ILL POINT OUT THAT I WAS NOT PRESENT AT WIGAN AT THE TIME FOOTSIE WENT STELLAR AND I DONT KNOW WHO BRYN GOT HIS COPY VIA BUT IT SURE WASNT THIS VERSION.

RESPECT, ROB.H

Social source share

Hey Wiggy these are covers or is it revival ? surely were on about records actuely writen for the "northern" scene.....not Bill Oddie.

Most of them are covers for the northern scene....not self written and aimed at the scene originally.Love Hustle,Diane Foster,I'm your number 1,Diane Duncan, Loving On The Losing Side etc were probably written and performed and aimed at the scene.Footsee wasn't written for the northern scene but the dubs/crowd over the original record by the producers make it a surefire cash in directly aimed at the scene.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Was Elkie Brooks the lead singer of Babe Ruth...or is that another NS Urban Myth..?

WEBBY LAD, somewhere down the memory banks i seem to recall that the lead singer, and incidentally i cant recall her name at this moment in time, may have been the same person who fronted a group called liquid gold who, in 1980, had a big disco hit with"dance yourself dizzy".....now it could be chopping block time because if im wrong, then itll be pete smith calling the shots....so sharpen the axe just in case!

rob.h

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Nosmo King wasn't a tailor made, it's was re-issued as the Javells because it was picked up by the northern scene. IL earlier releases by Doris Jones & Evelyn Thomas were aimed at the northern scene, but Barbara Pennington's 24hrs was aimed at the New York Disco scene, IL had moved on with his aims by the time this was released.

I partially agree with that but he believed at the time that disco and Northern Soul were one and the same and aimed a lot of his stuff at both scenes. That is what the debate was all about over his playlists towards the end of the Mecca - but thats another subject. and water / bridge etc.

Social source share

Guest REVILOT

RE NOSMO KING

Yes it came out first on Pye - in 74 and was certainly inspired / tailor made to sound like - ish an uptempo Northern Soul record. So inspired by or tailor made is a debatable point for it.

Soussans stuff was obviously tailor made, but sounded more off the peg. :thumbup:

Social source share

WEBBY LAD, somewhere down the memory banks i seem to recall that the lead singer, and incidentally i cant recall her name at this moment in time, may have been the same person who fronted a group called liquid gold who, in 1980, had a big disco hit with"dance yourself dizzy".....now it could be chopping block time because if im wrong, then itll be pete smith calling the shots....so sharpen the axe just in case!

rob.h

bit of babe ruth info here,unsure.gifph34r.gif

https://en.wikipedia....Babe_Ruth_(band)

click on, Did you mean,in red letters...

Edited by de-to
Social source share

rob.h

https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1923

Social source share

Was Elkie Brooks the lead singer of Babe Ruth...or is that another NS Urban Myth..?

Jenny / Jennie Haan was the lead singer with Babe Ruth : Elkie Brooks shared the lead vocals in Vinegar Joe with Robert Palmer .

Ellie Hope was the singer with Liquid Gold on " Dance Yourself Dizzy " .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

IL earlier releases by Doris Jones & Evelyn Thomas were aimed at the northern scene, but Barbara Pennington's 24hrs was aimed at the New York Disco scene, IL had moved on with his aims by the time this was released.

agree totally, the u.s lapped up 24 hours a day it sold 100,000 on 12" alone and we never even had the sense to release it on 12" here. i dont care what anyone says levine should get more credit for some of his early releases, who in the u.k at that time was producing better than that??

Social source share

Hmmmmmm yes , also I'd forgoten James Wells - Baby I'm Still The Same Man . Perhaps he's not such a cnut after all biggrin.gif

One of the regular posters on here bought all my Tomorrow demo's off of me when I put them on Ebay a few years back , unfortunatly I didn't have any of the real biggies like Weak Spot in amongst them or I would have probably kept them . Does anyone have a definitive list of what Levine did put out as demo's on Tomorrow ??????

I think Dave Godin wrote about Tomorrow in Blues & Soul, something about collector's items of the future, I'm not sure if he listed them all, but I'm going to take a look see.....watch this space wink.gif

Social source share

Guest martyn

I think Dave Godin wrote about Tomorrow in Blues & Soul, something about collector's items of the future, I'm not sure if he listed them all, but I'm going to take a look see.....watch this space wink.gif

Cheers Mike thumbsup.gif

Social source share

OK found it biggrin.gif Blues & Soul No. 189, April 20, 1976. The Dave Godin Column.

"The pre-release special pressings that Ian Levine has had made of his productions and compositions which appear on his Tomorrow label, quite likely to become sought after collector's items in the not-too-distant future, so perhaps a discography here and now might help you in your searching."

LE001 Evelyn Thomas - "Doomsday"

LE002 Doris Jones - "He's So Irreplaceable"

LE003 Carol Woods - "Heading Down Fools Road"

LE004 Tyrone Ashley - "Feet Start Moving"

LE005 The Exciters - "Swallow Your Pride"

LE006 Barbara Pennington - "I Can't Erase The Thoughts Of You"

LE007 L.J. Johnson - "Dancing On The Edge Of A Dream"

Social source share

[

......and to be honest, ian did a bloody superior job of fooling us all with the 4 vandals!

good story attached to that...everyone remembers ginger's fracas with levine at stoke about this record but sam sussed it first. i have a photo of a handwritten note that sam placed on the decks at the ritz the same night levine was there.....it read: "THE FIFTH VANDAL MUST GO!". we all thooght it was very funny until ray threatened to take ian outside and give him a good hiding. that more or less, sent ian back into self imposed exile again.

Social source share

and here are the labels they were finally released on....although I've got a couple of gaps....perhaps someone can fill them inthumbsup.gif

20th Century BTC 1017 Evelyn Thomas - "Doomsday"

NEMS NES 009 Doris Jones - "He's So Irreplaceable"

20th Century BTC 1018 Carol Woods - "Heading Down Fools Road"

????? Tyrone Ashley - "Feet Start Moving"

????? The Exciters - "Swallow Your Pride"

United Artists UP 36170 Barbara Pennington - "I Can't Erase The Thoughts Of You" (B Side of "Twenty Four Hours A Day")

Mercury 6007 101 L.J. Johnson - "Dancing On The Edge Of A Dream"

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Yes Jim, but RBWWSF is on record as a 'tribute to the sound of Holland Dozier Holland' by songwriting team, Pierre Tubbs and J. Vincent Edwards.

Also, by the time Billy Ocean recorded "Red Light Spells Danger" in '77 he'd already set the mould 18 months earlier with "Love Really Hurts Without You" so, again, I don't think the NS scene had any direct bearing or influence on that track either.

:elvis:

Sean

If my memory serves me correctly.

I had a single of J. Vincent Edwards doing this track.

Can't remember the label though.

Stu.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Blowing Up My Mind was tailor-made - not the RCA one but Contempo re-recorded it and issued it on a 45.

Rob Haigh, Bryn's acetate of Don't Pretend minus strings turned up in Memory Lane, I always thought you'd sold it to them for some reason, I bought it, and I let someone on here have it a few years ago after they pesetered me. It was indeed just the backing track without the added violins and it was this version that Russ and Alan Rhodes used to play at Wigan in 75, before the Soul Fox 45 came out.

Social source share

RE NOSMO KING

Yes it came out first on Pye - in 74 and was certainly inspired / tailor made to sound like - ish an uptempo Northern Soul record. So inspired by or tailor made is a debatable point for it.

Soussans stuff was obviously tailor made, but sounded more off the peg. smile.gif

How come I remember it from '73 at the Central. Thought there were some real record collectors on here, nobody have any discs to verify :g:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert