M-S

• Replies 43
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

A great collectors label this with some true Detroit soul classics on it.

That blue sunburst design on the later releases is really cool looking yes.gif

If you are a bit of a 'completist' collector like me you also have to have the dodgy releases to make up the full run - there are some really poor 'party' records on this label sad.gif .

Will post up some label scans and soundfiles over the next few days, but to kick things off here are a couple of scans of two of my favourites on the label.

Louis Curry - Captivated/You're Sweeter Than A Cup Of Honey (M-S 210)

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-12752271930444_thumb.jpg

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Probably one of the lesser-known decent releases on the label and a nice crossover-style make vocal

Will post up a soundfile later - unless someone beats me to it yes.gif

Jason Steel - You Know Your Breaking My Heart/Suppose (M-S 233)

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-12752314658592_thumb.jpg

post-12286-12752314658592_thumb.jpg

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Probably one of the lesser-known decent releases on the label and a nice crossover-style make vocal

Will post up a soundfile later - unless someone beats me to it :yes:

Cheers

Richard

Richard, it's already in refosoul mate thumbsup.gif Great track as ya say!

steve

JASON STEEL - YOU KNOW YOUR BREAKING MY HEART - MS -

Social source share

aint got my r.b singles on me -just wondered fellow anoraks whether there is any funk on the logo?/ sensible responses please lol!!WOOPS JUST SEEN THE LISTING -MAYBE NOT.

BAZ A.

PS THE BLUE JEAN TRACK HAS TURNED OUT TO BE DOG RARE METHINKS.

Edited by baz atkinson
Social source share

aint got my r.b singles on me -just wondered fellow anoraks whether there is any funk on the logo?/ sensible responses please lol!!WOOPS JUST SEEN THE LISTING -MAYBE NOT.

BAZ A.

Hi Baz

The Strides - Make Your Move is a bit funky yes.gif and has a James Brown reference in the lyrics - will post it up later on

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

ah thanks richard!

BAZ A

Hi Baz

The Strides - Make Your Move is a bit funky yes.gif and has a James Brown reference in the lyrics - will post it up later on

Cheers

Richard

Got both sides ready to go Baz but Refosoul is down I think.

Also got Family Plann - a slightly funky Jackson's style thing with a mid-tempo number of the flip. Will post those too later on.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

thanks mate did wonder about the family plan track!

BAZ A

Got both sides ready to go Baz but Refosoul is down I think.

Also got Family Plann - a slightly funky Jackson's style thing with a mid-tempo number of the flip. Will post those too later on.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Family Plann (yes, 2 n's) isn't "a bit funky", it's actually a riot, sounds like the best record the Jackson 5 never made with a kiddie lead vocal exactly like a young MJ, have even had it requested as "that great Jackson 5 record!", title is C'mon let's do the breakdown, same group later did some crap proto-disco on Florida's Drive label.

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

BAZ A.

Hindal Butts - In the pocket on this label Baz

About as funky as you can get :thumbsup:

This label seemed to be owned by someone called Edward Kaplan who also seemed to own "Kool Kat" records

I dont know anything about him.

The production company M.S.K productions products pops up a bit on Kool kat and M-S 45s.

Obviously from the Detroit area - I Don't know anything else about this lot........Anyone ?

oh............All the 45s I own on these labels are styrene and pressed at the Coloumbia pressing plant in Chicago.

Whoever Ed Kapalan is he had something to with Dearborn records and produced Silky Hargraves "Keep on loving me (like you do)

Edited by mossy
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Family Plann (yes, 2 n's) isn't "a bit funky", it's actually a riot, sounds like the best record the Jackson 5 never made with a kiddie lead vocal exactly like a young MJ, have even had it requested as "that great Jackson 5 record!", title is C'mon let's do the breakdown, same group later did some crap proto-disco on Florida's Drive label.

Finally got this into Refosoul but can't work out how to do the clever link thingy now it's all changed - so heres the hyperlink for the time being.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?//topic/134391-rs-family-plann-come-on-lets-do-the-breakdown/

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Will post up a soundfile later - unless someone beats me to it yes.gif

Cheers

Richard

Can anyone tell me anything at all about Jason Steel (also recorded on M-S as just 'Jason') please?

Cheers :yes:

Richard

Social source share

I'll be totally honest, in my "blissfull ignorance", I'd have dismissed most of this labels repertoire other than 5 of the first 6 releases, but until now haven't heard the majority of them, and I must say the Lonette/ Blue Jeans item in particular is now a must have as is the Jason steel!

Good work fellas:hatsoff2:

Social source share

The Strides - I Can Get Along (Without Your Love)/The Stride (M-S 202)

'The Stride' is the instrumental version of the top-side.

The WDJ is more common than the yellow issue pictured below I think.

Great Detroit male group sound thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Richard

I thought the demo's of this where blue??

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert