Recomended Uk 45

:hatsoff2:Hi All... If you dont no this record or even if you do, looking at Johnnny Manships Auction, there it is easy one of the Rare UK records and ellusive, well i would say near on impossible to buy? The reason for my post is not to promote Johnn y Boys list, but just to point out this jem that has all the hallmarks of LONDONS In Crowd in the 6ts especially the sound. The sound typifies the FLAMINGO, give it a listen as this is truely one of the best examples of a MOD Soul Record I can think of, Value wise I aint got a clue but Just as rare as top UK rare northern..A truely brilliant 2 sider:ph34r:DAVE

post-13241-12750776015941_thumb.jpg post-13241-12750776726277_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

:hatsoff2:Hi All... If you dont no this record or even if you do, looking at Johnnny Manships Auction, there it is easy one of the Rare UK records and ellusive, well i would say near on impossible to buy? 

You're having a laugh Dave, there's loads of these turn up on Ebay UK reggae, I stopped buying them when nobody would take them off me.

Social source share

Is this the same R&B Label who released Georgie Fames first 2 discs, Orange Street being one of them. Think that label was white with blue writing.Will have to dig my copies out.Think it stands for Rita and Benny the labels owners.I think most ska and reggae can be found cheaply with some notable exceptions.All the records seem to be knackered although there are copies of mint Guns Of Navarone circulating and some mint stuff on UK Bread.LP's are more expensive (forgetting the Tighten Ups etc which must have sold by the bucketload) I seem to find uk Island ska stuff all at reasonable prices and I see Carnival stuff all the time...Sugar n Dandy.I find it's the 69/70 stuff thats more expensive and harder to get.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Is this the same R&B Label who released Georgie Fames first 2 discs, Orange Street being one of them. Think that label was white with blue writing.Will have to dig my copies out.Think it stands for Rita and Benny the labels owners.

it is yes, had several designs, blue with silver writing or red with black writing are the most common colours.

there's also an unrelated Jamaican 'R&B' label, white with a nice red and black design, which was one of Chris Blackwell's first labels, and i think there's another unrelated US 'R&B' label too

Social source share

:g:

Is this the same R&B Label who released Georgie Fames first 2 discs, Orange Street being one of them. Think that label was white with blue writing.Will have to dig my copies out.Think it stands for Rita and Benny the labels owners.I think most ska and reggae can be found cheaply with some notable exceptions.All the records seem to be knackered although there are copies of mint Guns Of Navarone circulating and some mint stuff on UK Bread.LP's are more expensive (forgetting the Tighten Ups etc which must have sold by the bucketload) I seem to find uk Island ska stuff all at reasonable prices and I see Carnival stuff all the time...Sugar n Dandy.I find it's the 69/70 stuff thats more expensive and harder to get.

An overview of the UK reggae collecting scene in 3 lines, brilliant :D

Social source share

R & B was owned by Rita & Benny King (aka Isen/Izen) in Stamford Hill.

When they shut down in the 80's, they released all back stock onto the market, hence 90% of r&b label records (the black ones) are in great condition.

A lot of reggae lp's are cheap. I've bought about a dozen this last week all under £25.

There's loads of exceptions though: Big Shot, Bamboo, UK Studio One, UK Coxsone etc.

It's the same with every type of collecting; some records are hard to find, others are easy, regardless of date. Theres loads of great, cheap ska on Blue beat and Island. Theres loads of expensive hgreat ska there too though.

Social source share

Guest theoriginator56

You're having a laugh Dave, there's loads of these turn up on Ebay UK reggae, I stopped buying them when nobody would take them off me.

yep sold my copy on ebay last year vg condition. got 15 kwid for it. good record though. rare know. (kim)no.gif

Social source share

R & B was owned by Rita & Benny King (aka Isen/Izen) in Stamford Hill.

When they shut down in the 80's, they released all back stock onto the market, hence 90% of r&b label records (the black ones) are in great condition.

A lot of reggae lp's are cheap. I've bought about a dozen this last week all under £25.

There's loads of exceptions though: Big Shot, Bamboo, UK Studio One, UK Coxsone etc.

It's the same with every type of collecting; some records are hard to find, others are easy, regardless of date. Theres loads of great, cheap ska on Blue beat and Island. Theres loads of expensive hgreat ska there too though.

From my experience of crate digging and the ones I mostly see. Studio one.............Puppet On A String must have been popular or overpressed,Bamboo keep coming across Rainy Night In Georgia.Big Shot is Judge Dread.Blue Beat is Al Capone in a myriad of colours nearly as many as The Showstoppers on Beacon!!.Ive got about 150 Blue Beats but Ive stopped buying them because I dont know what ive got.The Coxone popular one seems to be Ram Jam (cant remember the other side).The Pama popular one is Pat Kelly How Long Does It Take. Doctor Bird..Lady With The Red Dress On.The Carnival one is Sugar n Dandy What A Life. The Island one is The Vikings Hallelujiah and The Tennors Ride Your Donkey.....Im not going to go into Trojan although the early full orange label are harder ones...Never see Ska Beats or Grape that much and the Dice one I usually see is Little Schoolgirl (or is that Starlite?).on an unrelated note a good hit was in a shop with mint copies of Rumblers-Soulful Jerk on UK King. They were that mint that the flimsy paper sleeve was hard to take off.Went in week after week and paid a tenner each.Must have bought 5 copies.This place had the mint Guns Of Navarones as well.Is there anything else decent on UK King apart from River Keep Movin/Bitter into Sweet and Jackie Opal? (keep buying blind recent duffers are The Rocomars and some Irish showband although I have a Sam And Dave LP minus the cover)..

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

From my experience of crate digging and the ones I mostly see. Studio one.............Puppet On A String must have been popular or overpressed,Bamboo keep coming across Rainy Night In Georgia.Big Shot is Judge Dread.Blue Beat is Al Capone in a myriad of colours nearly as many as The Showstoppers on Beacon!!.Ive got about 150 Blue Beats but Ive stopped buying them because I dont know what ive got.The Coxone popular one seems to be Ram Jam (cant remember the other side).The Pama popular one is Pat Kelly How Long Does It Take. Doctor Bird..Lady With The Red Dress On.The Carnival one is Sugar n Dandy What A Life. The Island one is The Vikings Hallelujiah and The Tennors Ride Your Donkey.....Im not going to go into Trojan although the early full orange label are harder ones...Never see Ska Beats or Grape that much and the Dice one I usually see is Little Schoolgirl (or is that Starlite?).on an unrelated note a good hit was in a shop with mint copies of Rumblers-Soulful Jerk on UK King. They were that mint that the flimsy paper sleeve was hard to take off.Went in week after week and paid a tenner each.Must have bought 5 copies.This place had the mint Guns Of Navarones as well.Is there anything else decent on UK King apart from River Keep Movin/Bitter into Sweet and Jackie Opal? (keep buying blind recent duffers are The Rocomars and some Irish showband although I have a Sam And Dave LP minus the cover)..

I'm on about LP's not 45's: but as for singles, you're right about those. Studio One's commonest, Puppet on a string, Fatty Fatty, Baby (Heptones)

Cosxone: Cool Spoon 'yakkety yak', Ram Jam, Get ready it's rocksteady, couple of others.

Doctor Bird; Joe White - every night, gaylads as mentioned, Phoenix city etc.

Big Shot - well all of Judge Dreads records charted so they're as common as Sweet records.

Pat kelly on Gas sold over 40,000 copies.

Social source share

Guest john s

Is there anything else decent on UK King apart from River Keep Movin/Bitter into Sweet and Jackie Opal?

A few good mod/r'n'b/freakbeat 45s - Gavin Hamilton / Jason Deane / Guess Who / Afex / Tuesday's Children / Alexis Korner are all decent, Transatlantics I haven't heard, and I think there's a couple of ska bits.

Social source share

A few good mod/r'n'b/freakbeat 45s - Gavin Hamilton / Jason Deane / Guess Who / Afex / Tuesday's Children / Alexis Korner are all decent, Transatlantics I haven't heard, and I think there's a couple of ska bits.

Funnily enough Got Wont Be The Same..Gavin Hamilton (I spoke about why cant there be more love on another thread),Jason Deane-Aint Got No Love,got The Guess Whos-Its My Pride,Afex-Shes Got The Time (Got That as well),Tuesdays Children-Strange Light From The East...............not got the Alexis Korner or Transatlantics though.Ah.........just remembered the Sovereigns-Bring Me Home Love and the Tea Set-Join The Tea Set!!

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi Pete...AVIN A GIGGLE! Not me I no that you have had some great records, and sell cheap, especialy Rare DEMOS that have elluded me? But to state you have seen loads on E-bay is a bit of "pork pie" how many is loads? or should it read Loads = How many? I have had 3 copys in all my junking for rare dustys days. also I am stateing that I recomend this recored as one of the best examples of MOD 2 sides are typical of the Flamingo, SIDE 2 is what a MOD would call The BLUE - BEAT, I still recomend it to collectors and as for value "I dont no!" and wont say as TED will be on my back, lets see what Johnny M gets for it! and I bet he would like loads or maybe not as it would not be RARE,,,TE HE TITTER TITTER, " On your Head Sunny Boy":ph34r:DAVE X

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Is this the same R&B Label who released Georgie Fames first 2 discs, Orange Street being one of them.

The backing musicians on both sides of the Ronnie Gordon 45 are, indeed, the very same Georgie Fame and the Blue Flames...

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi Pete...AVIN A GIGGLE! Not me I no that you have had some great records, and sell cheap, especialy Rare DEMOS that have elluded me? But to state you have seen loads on E-bay is a bit of "pork pie" how many is loads? or should it read Loads = How many?

Loads Dave. A dozen maybe. I told you, I don't even look anymore. Just cos you ain't seen em doesn't mean nobody else has.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert