Dj's Fees ?

Hi,

Ive always wanted to know but been too shy to ask previously, feeling bold now.

What determines a DJ's Fee, is it:-

Their ability to fill the Dance Floor

Their vast collection

The rarety of the records they own

Their personality

Their ability on the mic

Their enthusiasm and tenacity to hunt down and break new sounds

They once worked the door at the Catacoombes

Or they are mates with the promoter

Besr r

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 101
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi,

Their vast collection

Their personality..IT CANT BE THIS OR ID NEVER GET PAID

Their ability on the mic

Besr r

Bob

Edited by Guest
Social source share

As both a promoter and dj of northern soul, both in the 70s and more recently.. its the buzz of the music not how much money can be ripped out of the scene. I personally never accept anything for doing a dj set along side one or two other wolverhampton people. However, there are others who are only too glad to take every last penny even when they know a function has lost money. Some of the best northern soul djs are those that hit the dance floor, as they more fully understand what punters require.

Social source share

Do you promote Bob?? or have you in the past?? if so then tell us your answer...

maybe it depends on the size of the event for some and how much the aim to take on the door...

Hi Stevie,

No never promoted and never will not a fan of financial risk.

I would guess its their ability to fill the dance floor but I dont really know thats why i asked.

Best r

Bob

Social source share

Some of the best northern soul djs are those that hit the dance floor, as they more fully understand what punters require.

On what basis do you claim that to be true. Why would someone who dances more fully understand what punters require ? Clearly the capability to dance is a physical requirement, and the capability to understand something is an intellectual requirement.

Or are you a dancer :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

WHEN I DJd AT SOUL NITES I ONLY ACCEPTED PAYMENT IF THE VENUE MADE A PROFIT, WHEN I RAN EVENTS I PAID DJs OUT OF MY OWN POCKET IF WE MADE A LOSS. WHEN I WORKED AS A RESIDENT COMMERCIAL DJ I WAS PAID VERY WELL AND HAD FREE DRINKS AND TRANSPORT COSTS.

Social source share

Hi Stevie,

No never promoted and never will not a fan of financial risk.

I would guess its their ability to fill the dance floor but I dont really know thats why i asked.

Best r

Bob

Ok Bob....

Its gonna turn into one of them epics i guess :thumbsup: ..

Chill out folks and stay calm, the weekend is upon us indeed... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Surely it's the DJ who determines the fee, some guys/gals do it for nothing, some guys/gals have their own fees it's down to the promoter to decide whether to accept the service of the DJ on that basis.

and the promoter should cover his costs before the night, not simply say I can't afford to pay you as we had a bad night. If the DJ refuses to take any payment or take a bit less then that is different but either way the DJ should be paid or at least offered his payment.

Social source share

Do you promote Bob?? or have you in the past?? if so then tell us your answer...

maybe it depends on the size of the event for some and how much the aim to take on the door...

NICE replies dancing demon !!I think myself people (CALLED PROMOTERS) are in it to make a few bob at the W/ENDS they have no passion or feeling for the music !!Truth be known they are DESTROYING THE WHOLE SCENE half wasnt around years ago and wont even admit they are new to the scene and have no past history with northern in it to make a killing and killing the scene aswell well done PROMOTERS!!!(nb not all promoters)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi,

Their vast collection

Their personality

Their ability on the mic

Besr r

Bob

for me as a promoter none of these are relevant to how much they get paid , all the dj's get paid the same at BASICS .... we have a chat with the Dj beforehand and tell them the fee , if they then agree then deal done with no mess or fuss .

the only relevance your points have is towards whether they get booked or not (except the last 2 , i don't have to like them to book them )

Social source share

Aye and 99.9% pay no Tax, VAT with some using the old Charity and Free CD angles too!

Northern is a convenient 'black hole economy' for many. That in itself has encouraged minor Soul fans to jump on the bandwagon, hence there's a Motown/Soul night in virtually every town.

Plus the scamsters trying to con you out of tickets with the old 'never received them in the post mate'...added with other wannabees dissing your events, flyering without even paying to come in......

Do you still want to be a 'proper' promoter?

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

On what basis do you claim that to be true. Why would someone who dances more fully understand what punters require ? Clearly the capability to dance is a physical requirement, and the capability to understand something is an intellectual requirement.

Or are you a dancer :hatsoff2::yes:

you are a pretty good dancer dave i have seen your feet tapping a few times behind thoses sales boxes, :lol:

mark

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Aye and 99.9% pay no Tax, VAT with some using the old Charity and Free CD angles too!

Northern is a convenient 'black hole economy' for many. That in itself has encouraged minor Soul fans to jump on the bandwagon, hence there's a Motown/Soul night in virtually every town.

Plus the scamsters trying to con you out of tickets with the old 'never received them in the post mate'...added with other wannabees dissing your events, flyering without even paying to come in......

Whats wrong with minor soul fans ? whats wrong with going out and and knowing the records that are being played ? why does MOTOWN get so much stick ? isnt that where it all started ? but what do i know im just one of them minor soul fans who likes motown.

Social source share

Whats wrong with minor soul fans ? whats wrong with going out and and knowing the records that are being played ? why does MOTOWN get so much stick ? isnt that where it all started ? but what do i know im just one of them minor soul fans who likes motown.

What happens when all the nights/niters die off and all we are left with is the CD scene, who finds/feeds the new tunes???? I think its the general watering down too many gigs not enough punters scenario.Get down the HMV...buy 20 CD's...download them for free even.Hire some decks/borrow your mates.Book the local hall.Get the mrs on the door.Get some flyers photocopied/attend some local events/drop your flyers off and hey presto youve got everyone within a ten mile radius.You take the door venue takes the bar.Safe sounds that everyone knows and home to bed with a cup of horlicks.Pre CD boom it was only casettes/original vinyl or boots and not everyone wanted to be a promoter.You had to travel which is why we had all these great venues Stafford/Torch/Wigan etc and people with old fashioned tape recorders taping the sounds.They were that desperate to hear them and there was a hunger for them.Theres also the attitude "its only a local do it's alright to play CD's".Same has happened at the Isle Of Wight Scooter rally with the Mod Cabaret scene.Who'sJams underpants playing Small Faces covers bands everywhere.......the nearest to northern soul cabaret were Zoot And The Roots who backed Eddie Holman etc but they veered away from the cheesier aspects and were competent musicians (Snake Davis).

Social source share

NICE REPLY 101 SCAMSTERS SEEMS TO BE A VERY GOOD WORD !!! THERE are 2 many things going on not like days gone bye 70s we was there because we loved and still do the music where will these PROMOTERS BE WHEN THEY HAVE F....D AND DESTROYED OUR SCENE. On maybe to another little earner ??TAX that wont even be mentioned with em why dont they with there BIG MONEY GET OUT OF OUR SCENE and find some other music before ours as gone for ever About time people started looking at these people with the respect they deserve NONE

Social source share

What happens when all the nights/niters die off and all we are left with is the CD scene, who finds/feeds the new tunes???? I think its the general watering down too many gigs not enough punters scenario.Get down the HMV...buy 20 CD's...download them for free even.Hire some decks/borrow your mates.Book the local hall.Get the mrs on the door.Get some flyers photocopied/attend some local events/drop your flyers off and hey presto youve got everyone within a ten mile radius.You take the door venue takes the bar.Safe sounds that everyone knows and home to bed with a cup of horlicks.Pre CD boom it was only casettes/original vinyl or boots and not everyone wanted to be a promoter.You had to travel which is why we had all these great venues Stafford/Torch/Wigan etc and people with old fashioned tape recorders taping the sounds.They were that desperate to hear them and there was a hunger for them.Theres also the attitude "its only a local do it's alright to play CD's".Same has happened at the Isle Of Wight Scooter rally with the Mod Cabaret scene.Who'sJams underpants playing Small Faces covers bands everywhere.......the nearest to northern soul cabaret were Zoot And The Roots who backed Eddie Holman etc but they veered away from the cheesier aspects and were competent musicians (Snake Davis).

have too laugh loudly i see your booking THE KING OF CDS...russ binstanlyyes.gif

Social source share

You forgot to mention promoters who sell way too many tickets for their event and have punters locked outside on the pavement unable to get into an event they legitimately bought tickets for.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

i know lots of people who started off with motown and have moved on to more hard core northern ! on the other hand i know loads of people who dont want to and are very happy to listen to the same old same old ,that dont make them wrong ,if you put a night on it will live by the sword or die by it you cant make people go? I like more modern and crossover but we all know how that goes down in most places so i go where i know stuff i like will be played ,and so do most people , look at the posts slagging off 'do this world a favour'on here i could under stand it at a motown night but on here ? you may well be right about it being watered down but again i say you cant force punters to go can you ,you like must know loads of people who are in to the music but never go any where they are the people you have to aim for,as for cd's look at all the un issued stuff that as come out over the last few years ,that cant be a bad thing

Social source share

You forgot to mention promoters who sell way too many tickets for their event and have punters locked outside on the pavement unable to get into an event they legitimately

bought tickets for.

Joan. A cheap, nasty shot that you know is untrue!

Did you not not see the thread on the guy from Middlesboro' who counterfeited 150 Whitby tickets? He was arrested for Gods sake.

Grow up!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Strict orders...............no CD's I have an emergency oldies box of originals for emergency use !!! .

Jesus, i think you're serious aren't you? :ph34r:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Joan. A cheap, nasty shot that you know is untrue!

Did you not not see the thread on the guy from Middlesboro' who counterfeited 150 Whitby tickets? He was arrested for Gods sake.

Grow up!

Not a cheap shot at all Kev.

Of course I saw the thread and that is not how I remember it.

Anyway back to your last post.

You mention there being "a Motown/Soul night in virtually every town" I have to say you are guiltier than anyone of this.

And before you say it, I am not having a go. I genuinely want to understand why you feel the need to have to promote so many venues.

As for your "scamsters trying to con you out of tickets with the old 'never received them in the post mate'... comment.

How do you know they didn't receive their tickets? Things go missing in the post all the time. Yet you expect people to believe someone counterfeited 150 wristbands - not tickets - of yours.

Social source share

Jesus, i think you're serious aren't you? :ph34r:

I am serious....the oldies originals box is here in a glass box ready for use.I don't remember anyone telling me that CD's were ever used at Wigan........so I don't expect deejays to use them.It's lazy and spoils the atmosphere. I want to see shiny bits of plastic going round the turntables.Anyway CD's jump...it's a known fact and the sound quality is worse than vinyl.....so all you CD deejays you are cheating the punters.Book someone who has made the effort to search out new/interesting records instead of popping down the HMV/Amazon.You don't need any thought or imagination to do that.!!!

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Not a cheap shot at all Kev.

Of course I saw the thread and that is not how I remember it.

Anyway back to your last post.

You mention there being "a Motown/Soul night in virtually every town" I have to say you are guiltier than anyone of this.

And before you say it, I am not having a go. I genuinely want to understand why you feel the need to have to promote so many venues.

As for your "scamsters trying to con you out of tickets with the old 'never received them in the post mate'... comment.

How do you know they didn't receive their tickets? Things go missing in the post all the time. Yet you expect people to believe someone counterfeited 150 wristbands - not tickets - of yours.

I have witnessed some stupid statements on forums, but clearly you are either trying to be extremely mischievous or are oblivious to the real FACTS

Let's examine some pretty ridiculous comments... We promote one REGULAR MOTOWN night in Long Eaton. And as a fully legitimate company who promotes on a daily basis WE ARE ENTITLED TOO!

Northern Soul fans are gennerally good people, but as the scene as evolved, scamsters try it on fairly regularly for FREE tickets. We know this as thats our business- YOU CLEARLY DO NOT!

If we want to promote 50 gigs it's none of your business.

Your comments are about as disgusting as it gets. To suggest we over printed/sold more is obscene to say the least.

It doesn't take much working out to see you have a grievence against proper, professional promoters, conveniently supporting others who I doubt are avoiding HMRC almost weekly.

Get a grip..WE ARE IN THIS AS A BUSINESS! You have no right to challenge us, when you don;'t even come to our events.

From a personal point of view, I have been on the scene since 1972.....what about you?

An apology at the very least would be nice regarding the Whitby ticket insinuation.

Social source share

I have witnessed some stupid statements on forums, but clearly you are either trying to be extremely mischievous or are oblivious to the real FACTS

Let's examine some pretty ridiculous comments... We promote one REGULAR MOTOWN night in Long Eaton. And as a fully legitimate company who promotes on a daily basis WE ARE ENTITLED TOO!

Northern Soul fans are gennerally good people, but as the scene as evolved, scamsters try it on fairly regularly for FREE tickets. We know this as thats our business- YOU CLEARLY DO NOT!

If we want to promote 50 gigs it's none of your business.

Your comments are about as disgusting as it gets. To suggest we over printed/sold more is obscene to say the least.

It doesn't take much working out to see you have a grievence against proper, professional promoters, conveniently supporting others who I doubt are avoiding HMRC almost weekly.

Get a grip..WE ARE IN THIS AS A BUSINESS! You have no right to challenge us, when you don;'t even come to our events.

From a personal point of view, I have been on the scene since 1972.....what about you?

An apology at the very least would be nice regarding the Whitby ticket insinuation.

You are in it as a business.

I am here because I love it.

I don't attend your venues because I prefer to support those who are also in it because they love it.

As for an apology? Give your head a shake :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

I love these Oldies...Promoter versus Punter threads.

Shouldn't this be in the "Played Out" thread.

Social source share

You are in it as a business.

I am here because I love it.

I don't attend your venues because I prefer to support those who are also in it because they love it.

As for an apology? Give your head a shake :unsure:

You were filed in the bottom drawer a while ago as a dim wit who is pretty clueless about the workings of Northern Soul. I've now filed you in the Top Drawer.

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

You were filed in the bottom drawer a while ago as a dim wit who is pretty clueless about the workings of Northern Soul. I've now filed you in the Top Drawer.

NOT HAVING A GO, BUT WHY HURL INSULTS AT LEGITIMATE QUESTIONS ?. SURELY A INTELLIGENT REPLY WOULD SUFFICE AND NOT BRING THE DISCUSSION TO AN UNSAVOURY STAND OFF.

Social source share

Jim. Disgusting comments levelled at us, one of only a handful of legitimate promoters who help to keep DJs, Security and Venues in business as

well keep Northern Soul

popular.

The Whitby Counterfeit ticket scandal some 3 years ago is not something I would wish on fellow promoters. For Joan to suggest we were behind that, is nothing short of disgusting.

She offers no apology.

Soul fan eh?

I have been on the scene since 1972 and quite how the likes of Joan seem to think we are money makers is beyond me. I doubt anyone in the Soul promotions business is more legit than us.

A far cry from most, whom she turns a blind eye to.

Topic starter, any chance you can close the thread? I've got indegestion.

Talk about blind leading the blind!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

Jim. Disgusting comments levelled at us, one of only a handful of legitimate promoters who help to keep DJs, Security and Venues in business as

well keep Northern Soul

popular.

The Whitby Counterfeit ticket scandal some 3 years ago is not something I would wish on fellow promoters. For Joan to suggest we were behind that, is nothing short of disgusting.

She offers no apology.

Soul fan eh?

I have been on the scene since 1972 and quite how the likes of Joan seem to think we are money makers is beyond me. I doubt anyone in the Soul promotions business is more legit than us.

A far cry from most, whom she turns a blind eye to.

Topic starter, any chance you can close the thread? I've got indegestion.

Talk about blind leading the blind!

I AGREE ON CLOSING THE THREAD, I WAS JUST TRYING TO QUELL THE ANIMOSITY, I WASN'T AWARE OF TICKET FORGING.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

you might have been about since 72,but imo then as now it has always been a business. l think Joan has you pretty much summed up. As far as the workings of the norman soul scene yep you got that well sussed (at last)....you go for the lowest common denominator every time AND YOU SCORE EVERY TIME....the oldies,baggy trooser,middle age singles club and nostalgia brigade.......like taking candy from a baby....no matter how poor the product provided they just keep coming back for more....in the name of NORMAN SOUL...............just glad l,m part of the music loving soul scene. T

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

and the promoter should cover his costs before the night, not simply say I can't afford to pay you as we had a bad night. If the DJ refuses to take any payment or take a bit less then that is different but either way the DJ should be paid or at least offered his payment.

this is the only categorical answer

if you cant cover the intial cost then dont promote

fees are fees and if you have arranged for a dj to travel to your event then you are then employing them for that evening and wages should be paid accordingly.

if cant afford the dj then dont book him

the risk is yours not theirs!

Social source share

this is the only categorical answer

if you cant cover the intial cost then dont promote

fees are fees and if you have arranged for a dj to travel to your

event then you are then employing

them for that evening and wages should be paid accordingly.

if cant afford the dj then dont book him

the risk is yours not theirs!

Andy. Totally agree. And that's our policy.

Sadly there's one too many who use the old Northern Soul emotion twaddle 'sorry we took a loss, but there again it's for the scene. Right on keep the faith.

Most promoters are putting do's on to MAKE MONEY and then make the DJ feel bad when it all goes pear shaped.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Why don't promoters promise DJ's a percentage of money made on the door......Seems pretty simple to me..... yes.gif

nice idea unfortunately socialism has been proved not to work

would you say to your boss...if we dont make much this month i dont mind not getting paid?

i know i wouldnt, although sharing the wealth is a beautiful idea in reality it doesnt work

as with any venture in any walk of life if you cant cover your costs and run at a loss then you shouldnt be running at all

perhaps if more promoters embraced this philosophy then maybe the worries about too many venues may be erradicated

you book....you pay...!!! simple

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Guest him  N  her

nice idea unfortunately socialism has been proved not to work

would you say to your boss...if we dont make much this month i dont mind not getting paid?

i know i wouldnt, although sharing the wealth is a beautiful idea in reality it doesnt work

as with any venture in any walk of life if you cant cover your costs and run at a loss then you shouldnt be running at all

perhaps if more promoters embraced this philosophy then maybe the worries about too many venues may be erradicated

you book....you pay...!!! simple

what about offering the dj a basic fee ,then a % of any proffit ,

Social source share

Yet again we have a all this shite and guff on the main page....

Wiggy,, your postings had nothing at all to do with the topic, just off on a rant again, you will have to learn that the topic title is there for a reason.... Your offer of an emergency box of oldies for guest dj :thumbsup: have a think at them comments and how some will view your promotion... Some would say, book a dj who as got the records you require, simple...

Mr Roberts.... You are playing at taking the moral highground again, only he who is witthout SIN can hope to reach it.. :no: That Halo aint in place just yet.. You have the right to counter any comments against you but would ask that its in a different topic and keep this one on topic, the same for any making comments against Goldsoul/ or others, you can start a topic with your own title and have your little bouts...

No big deal with dj fees for most.... You tell the dj what he/ she will pick up for the event, if the djs agree then they come and play and get paid simple.... If a night is not doing to well and the dj decides he don't want a fee, then its up to him i guess...

Most things are better sorted before and event and then all know where they stand...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert