James Dockery - My Faith In You Is All Gone

• Replies 42
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Mark, I had a blue label one, bought blind from a US list and I remember being distinctly unimpressed. Ok, I was pissed off that the record which arrived didn't turn out to be the one Keb was playing at the time, but I'm pretty sure it was a poor effort in it's own right. Couldn't give the bugger away, if I remember correctly!

Social source share

Mark, I had a blue label one, bought blind from a US list and I remember being distinctly unimpressed. Ok, I was pissed off that the record which arrived didn't turn out to be the one Keb was playing at the time, but I'm pretty sure it was a poor effort in it's own right. Couldn't give the bugger away, if I remember correctly!

had both copies i think the blue has girls in backround i lked them bothblue copy £40 red copyat a guess £400

Social source share

had both copies i think the blue has girls in backround i lked them bothblue copy £40 red copyat a guess £400

In would have thought a red one was at least a couple of hundred quid more. I know it ain't always an easy record tom sell but the last one I listed for Andy Dyson was I'm sure £700, worth every penny IMHO.

I see someone mention this as a thinking man's Blackpool Mecca tune, was this where it was first played? or is that just a term being used?

Social source share

I will never forget a few years ago I had just logged on to Ebay and was looking at the finishing soonest list and there was a red James Dockery at something like $4.99 (might even have been less!), with no bids, no reserve and only one minute to go.

I tried but couldn't get my bid in fast enough :thumbsup:

Always been a fav of mine and never tire of it. Top tune indeed!

Social source share

In would have thought a red one was at least a couple of hundred quid more. I know it ain't always an easy record tom sell but the last one I listed for Andy Dyson was I'm sure £700, worth every penny IMHO.

I see someone mention this as a thinking man's Blackpool Mecca tune, was this where it was first played? or is that just a term being used?

Not a big record at the time but yes played at the Mecca.

At a guess in 1976?

Social source share

Just trying to find out ways of not forking out for the (vastly) more expensive one! If the blue ones crap - then bugger bugger bollocks....

Don't panic, the blue label copy isn't thaaaaaaat bad at all! The recordings aren't a million miles apart and to the untrained ear the only obvious difference you notice is the girly Oooo's and aaaah's in the sax break-down parts. Mind you, if you've paid $400 for the blue your doctor may notel a rise in your blood pressure!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

can i just say, what a tune! very clever lyrics and a thinking mans blackpool mecca tune....yet another one that ought to be massive!

Ought to be massive?

It was when it was played by Keb mid 80's or at least to my ears it was.

Effin' top, top tune & still makes me want to dance.

Mick

Social source share

What price a white demo of the red version? Only ever seen one. It resides with Roly Ferguson who used to spin it in the rare room at the Neighbourhood.

Quality record. I never knew it was a mecca spin though.

NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH 700, REMEMBER JUST MISSING OUT ON A RED ONE AT THE GRIFFIN HOTEL, WAS STOOD BEHIND CHRIS HOLMES FROM YORK AND WAITING TO POUNCE, DONT THINK IT WAS MUCH, 45 QUID MAYBE...NEEDLESS TO SAY MY POUNCE WAS MET WITH THIN AIR :yes: ..REALISTICALLY DON'T THINK ITS WORTH 700 QUID THO'.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Suprised to hear this was played at the mecca? Surely it wasnt widely known by the masses then though?

First heard it in the 90s on a tape entitled "big sounds from 86" courtesy of Garrrry Churm.

Other tracks on the tape are Cairos, AC Poston,Brilliant Korners, Utopias,Jo Jo Petite, terry Goodnight etc

Andy Dyson has been playing it quite a bit over the last couple of years at Lifeline, Burnley etc (after being requested by me)

Its one of those that I could never get fed up with and would definately make my all time top 10thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Suprised to hear this was played at the mecca? Surely it wasnt widely known by the masses then though?

First heard it in the 90s on a tape entitled "big sounds from 86" courtesy of Garrrry Churm.

Other tracks on the tape are Cairos, AC Poston,Brilliant Korners, Utopias,Jo Jo Petite, terry Goodnight etc

Andy Dyson has been playing it quite a bit over the last couple of years at Lifeline, Burnley etc (after being requested by me)

Its one of those that I could never get fed up with and would definately make my all time top 10thumbsup.gif

ref steve & mick:

definitely played at mecca courtesy of ian levine and you could ask johnny beggs about that as well....technically well-structured piece of music and of course, lyrics....you simply couldnt fail to identify this with mecca. a lot of these clever records were...well, just too clever for the masses at the time, but yes, it came into its own later on so "ought to be" is just a figure of speech, appologies and, for what its worth, it seems to me it has always been a polished vehicle for big money attraction....bugger me...its not even 2 minutes long but its the dogs meatballs, the kitchen sink, the works in the time it takes you to rustle up scallops with black pudding and a sweetcorn puree......soul food of the michelin order!!!

the chef

Social source share

NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH 700, REMEMBER JUST MISSING OUT ON A RED ONE AT THE GRIFFIN HOTEL, WAS STOOD BEHIND CHRIS HOLMES FROM YORK AND WAITING TO POUNCE, DONT THINK IT WAS MUCH, 45 QUID MAYBE...NEEDLESS TO SAY MY POUNCE WAS MET WITH THIN AIR :thumbsup: ..REALISTICALLY DON'T THINK ITS WORTH 700 QUID THO'.

BRI PINCH

I THINK IT WAS AT CLEETHORPES BRO..... IM SURE CHRIS GOT IT FROM DAVE RAISTRICK THERE AND IT WAS A BIT MORE THAN £45 . YOURE RIGHT ABOUT THE POUNCING BIT THO LOL

DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If it's not worth in the region of £700 what is it worth? It rarely comes up for sale, far less than other big ticket items. The last one I actually saw sold for pounds in the flesh so to speak, not via an auction, in decent nick was for I think £700 or close to. I don't think I've seen one on JM's auction either, certainly not up to his site being revamped and the end prices stopped getting posted on here. If I had one I don't think I'd be letting it go for £400.

Social source share

random info (think I mentioned this here before): james dockery lives in chicago now, same person as jonah dockery on thomas. soul craft was his label. he also produced the rokk 45 (and apparently an unreleased rokk lp).

Social source share

I THINK IT WAS AT CLEETHORPES BRO..... IM SURE CHRIS GOT IT FROM DAVE RAISTRICK THERE AND IT WAS A BIT MORE THAN £45 . YOURE RIGHT ABOUT THE POUNCING BIT THO LOL

DAVE

IF IT WERE KID, IT WERN'T MUCH MORE COS WE WERE WAITING TO POUNCE AND WE'RE ALWAYS SKINT :thumbsup:

SKINT AGEN :lol:

Social source share

If it's not worth in the region of £700 what is it worth? It rarely comes up for sale, far less than other big ticket items. The last one I actually saw sold for pounds in the flesh so to speak, not via an auction, in decent nick was for I think £700 or close to. I don't think I've seen one on JM's auction either, certainly not up to his site being revamped and the end prices stopped getting posted on here. If I had one I don't think I'd be letting it go for £400.

WELL YOU MAY BE RIGHT CHALKSTER, IT DON'T TURN UP HALF AS MUCH AS SOME OF THE MEGA STUFF AND IT PISSES ALL OVER A LOT OF IT :thumbsup:

BRI

Social source share

What price a white demo of the red version? Only ever seen one. It resides with Roly Ferguson who used to spin it in the rare room at the Neighbourhood.

Quality record. I never knew it was a mecca spin though.

THERE WAS A COPY ON EBAY A COUPLE OR 3 YEARS AGO. WAS IT THE SAME COPY?. DIDNT GO FOR A FANTASTIC AMOUNT IF I REMEMBER

DAVE

Social source share

I'd agree Chalky, wouldn't part with mine for less than 500 absolute minimum and it ain't mint. One of those records you never see for sale and absolutely top drawer IMHO

Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

I'd agree Chalky, wouldn't part with mine for less than 500 absolute minimum and it ain't mint. One of those records you never see for sale and absolutely top drawer IMHO

I'd hankered after a copy since the mid 80's when Keb used to spin it..

That nice man Johnny Weston directed me to one last year for around 400... Tough tune , always been hard to find...:yes:

Social source share

Social source share

Nick says you must be getting feeble minded chalky......... he sold his red issue on JM's auction site a few years ago and you were actually room-mates with the buyer of the said record at a weekender at the time...... i believe a certain mr james t bought it.... he'd taken a freddie chavez issue to sell to finance his winning bid.... for a tad under £700....unless his mind's playing tricks too ??

Social source share

Nick says you must be getting feeble minded chalky......... he sold his red issue on JM's auction site a few years ago and you were actually room-mates with the buyer of the said record at a weekender at the time...... i believe a certain mr james t bought it.... he'd taken a freddie chavez issue to sell to finance his winning bid.... for a tad under £700....unless his mind's playing tricks too ??

it comes with knocking about with Nick I'm afraid Kim :huh: not far off what I reckon it is worth then, and I remember it now, remember the wheeling and dealing at Cleggy. Tell the tw*t to answer his phone too :D

Social source share

Is the blue copy a later legit issue etc, and what's the consensus on current prices for both? Also are both the same recording?

Mark

The original Red label 1960's cut is great, and it has James in fine form.

The Blue label 70's recut is not so good. It sounds like he can not keep up with the backing track and has to rush his words to fit it all in.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert