Is J.smith The Same Guy Who Stole My Sleevenotes?

Question for the day.

Is J.Smith who slagged of my book "Northern Soul Stories" on the Soulful Detroit site, the same person who copied/stole the sleevenotes I did for The Precisions album on Joe Boy (that's the one that was legally licenced from Johnny Powers who owns the Drew cataolgue) and deviously reproduced them on The Precisions CD the group did themselves for Prestatyn - that's the one where the Drew tracks were used without perrmission from JP? I merely ask.

J.Smith says many UK Soulies were "underwhelmed" by my book - which is basically interviews with characters in the UK Soul scene. Fair enough, I didn't expect everyone to like it, but I did my best and was touched by the many Soul Sourcers who purchased "Northern Soul Stories"and afterwards took the trouble to contact me and say positive things. And I thought I got some good interviews and quotes from people to go with Glenn Gunton's amazing graphics.

I just want to go on record as saying I was a bit "underwhelmed" to have my sleeve notes nicked and reproduced on another album.

Getting them prepared, including interviews with George McGregor, was a long laborious job. But I suppose I should be encourgaged in one way - whoever stole them must have been anything but "underwhelmed" by them - otherwise he would have tried writing his own.

Neil

Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

sounds like someone who has the attention span of a gnat....for the record: THE BEST BOOK ON ANY CONNOISUERS SHELF, IT DOSNT DWELL IN ONE ERA FOR TOO LONG BUT ITS ALSO BREATHTAKING LIKE A RUNAWAY TRAIN....a fantastic tome, brilliant graphics and memorable pictures and anyone who contributed should be proud of this testimony to the scene....as for bootleggin a cd...EXACTLY HOW MANY COPPERS IS THAT GONNA EARN THEM? = ZILCH!. give yourself up and take the medicine before some shadowy figure "boots" you into touch.

Social source share

sounds like someone who has the attention span of a gnat....for the record: THE BEST BOOK ON ANY CONNOISUERS SHELF, IT DOSNT DWELL IN ONE ERA FOR TOO LONG BUT ITS ALSO BREATHTAKING LIKE A RUNAWAY TRAIN....a fantastic tome, brilliant graphics and memorable pictures and anyone who contributed should be proud of this testimony to the scene....as for bootleggin a cd...EXACTLY HOW MANY COPPERS IS THAT GONNA EARN THEM? = ZILCH!. give yourself up and take the medicine before some shadowy figure "boots" you into touch.

Looks like someone who is ignoring -

"Lots of UK Soulies were underwhelmed by the contents of Norhern Soul Stories - and that's being nice to the book. It is nicely printed up though and looks like a good read (until you actually start that process)."

But I am not such a baby/prat that I am whining about someone not liking the book. That's their perogative.

I was just asking if it was the same person doing the review who lifted my sleeve notes?

And never said anything aboout how much the non Joe Boy CD would make and didn't say it was a bootleg - just that the Drew tracks were not licenced from Johnny Powers as the Joe Boy one was which my sleeve notes were actually done for.JP says The Precisions royalty account is unrecouped, so they would not have got a pay through of monies paid by Joe Boy to use the tracks so I can understand why they did their own run of albums to make a few bob.

At Prestatyn when I saw the CD I thought having notes reproduced on another album was funny/odd, but that the person who did it must be a bit strange/lacking any creativity of his own.

Social source share

Looks like someone who is ignoring -

"Lots of UK Soulies were underwhelmed by the contents of Norhern Soul Stories - and that's being nice to the book. It is nicely printed up though and looks like a good read (until you actually start that process)."

But I am not such a baby/prat that I am whining about someone not liking the book. That's their perogative.

I was just asking if it was the same person doing the review who lifted my sleeve notes?

And never said anything aboout how much the non Joe Boy CD would make and didn't say it was a bootleg - just that the Drew tracks were not licenced from Johnny Powers as the Joe Boy one was which my sleeve notes were actually done for.JP says The Precisions royalty account is unrecouped, so they would not have got a pay through of monies paid by Joe Boy to use the tracks so I can understand why they did their own run of albums to make a few bob.

At Prestatyn when I saw the CD I thought having notes reproduced on another album was funny/odd, but that the person who did it must be a bit strange/lacking any creativity of his own.

A couple of the times in the 90's I got asked to write sleeve notes for Northern cd's. On two occasions they used my notes but put someone else's name on them as author. I also remember an article on UK Northern Soul in Record Collector and the whole article was nicked from my Beatin Rhythm magazine. When I complained, they were good enough to let me write a few more articles under my own name so that worked out ok.

p.s. the book was brilliant Neil, don't let anyone tell you different - if they can do better, let them try.

Social source share

A couple of the times in the 90's I got asked to write sleeve notes for Northern cd's. On two occasions they used my notes but put someone else's name on them as author. I also remember an article on UK Northern Soul in Record Collector and the whole article was nicked from my Beatin Rhythm magazine. When I complained, they were good enough to let me write a few more articles under my own name so that worked out ok.

p.s. the book was brilliant Neil, don't let anyone tell you different - if they can do better, let them try.

Thanks Pete. I think Agent Smith is Rob Haigh who I have a lot of time for. So nothing pesonal there.

It's fair enough for someone to criticise the NSS book, of course it is, but the snide thing here is that the critique has been added on to a thread on Soulful Detroit announcing a book I am publishing by Al Abrams.Al was Berry Gordy's first employee, joining in 1959, and after being involved in the early days at Motown doing whatever was needed (his stories are incredible) Al became Motown's press officer. We are carrying transcriptions of all his press releases from late 64 through 66, have great scans of the original press releases (some of which are telegrams),loads of never before seen photos from Al's collection and pieces about Motown and the Civil Rights movement (the FBI bugged Martin Luther King's office when the deal was done for the "March To Freedom" albums to come out on Gordy) and loads more.

We have had some pages mocked up and it looks amazing. So Al is happily telling people on Soulful Detroit about his book coming out on Soulvation, we are treating his book with total reverence and respect, and this guy pops up with his slag off comment which means Al's peers will wonder why he has entrusted me with his book when according to this guy from UK, "Northern Soul Stories" was badly received by UK Soul fans- which it honestly has not been,quite the opposite.

I just want to know if the guy who has gone out of his way to be malicious is the same person involved in nicking my sleeve notes from the Joe Boy CD Precisions CD and sticking them on The Precisions own CD. I mean, what a weird thing to do.

Social source share

Thanks Pete. I think Agent Smith is Rob Haigh who I have a lot of time for. So nothing pesonal there.

No I wasn't making any reference to Rob Neil, he's 100% ok apart from the fact he never f&ckin shuts up and you can't get a word in edgeways :lol:

Social source share

Question for the day.

Is J.Smith who slagged of my book "Northern Soul Stories" on the Soulful Detroit site, the same person who copied/stole the sleevenotes I did for The Precisions album on Joe Boy (that's the one that was legally licenced from Johnny Powers who owns the Drew cataolgue) and deviously reproduced them on The Precisions CD the group did themselves for Prestatyn - that's the one where the Drew tracks were used without perrmission from JP? I merely ask.

J.Smith says many UK Soulies were "underwhelmed" by my book - which is basically interviews with characters in the UK Soul scene. Fair enough, I didn't expect everyone to like it, but I did my best and was touched by the many Soul Sourcers who purchased "Northern Soul Stories"and afterwards took the trouble to contact me and say positive things. And I thought I got some good interviews and quotes from people to go with Glenn Gunton's amazing graphics.

I just want to go on record as saying I was a bit "underwhelmed" to have my sleeve notes nicked and reproduced on another album.

Getting them prepared, including interviews with George McGregor, was a long laborious job. But I suppose I should be encourgaged in one way - whoever stole them must have been anything but "underwhelmed" by them - otherwise he would have tried writing his own.

Neil

You know Neil back in 87 i was stopping at Popcorns house and because of that wonderfull guy managed to get me through Duke Browners house door,he told me that it was the Volumes who had recorded Lady In Green,on my return to the UK i was happy to share that information with anyone.This lead to many a person saying i was wrong(inc Dennis Coffy)now i knew this was fact so i had nothing to prove.So on the Prestatyn Stage.......the rest is history,and then what really pissed me off was the entire Volumes discography put into print as iff it where their story for the telling with no mention or credit given to those people who actually scourced the information.So its so easy and indeed sad for these guys to live off the back of others,but they get found out eventually

Social source share

Neil

Don't take it to heart, people like you and Gilly, John Anderson etc (the list is a long one) were pioneers. Going out there, tracking down these guys and also trying to give them a fair shake along the way.

Their are many others that seem to lurk in the shadows grabbing a little reflected fame along the way. Is John Smith one of these, not my place to say. Those that put themselves forward as 'Experts' seem to fall into two camps.

Those that produce new and original information with a driving passion for the subject they are involved in. Less for fames sake, but a desire to have history recorded.

Then the others, that read, research other peoples work, then put forward information based on a rehash of what has gone before, with their own personnal comment. Always focused on the self promotion of themselves as much as the subject they write on.

The internet has made the second groups life very easy. They publish often in a forum or context (The land of the blind man) where the 'One eyed man is king'. But in true reality their contribution to the known body of knowledge on a subject is small and over time history records that.

Love you lots, hope all is well

Dave

Social source share

Those that produce new and original information with a driving passion for the subject they are involved in. Less for fames sake, but a desire to have history recorded.

Oh! How those words echo around my head at present, after having just spent (yet) another pleasurable day going through original 1960s Japanese record company catalogues! My quest to produce a definitive book on what Soul was actually released over here during the 60's continues...5 years and counting and enjoying every single minute of it! If a job is worth doing, do it properly says I...even if the sales potential is very, very limited!

:yes:

Social source share

Oh! How those words echo around my head at present, after having just spent (yet) another pleasurable day going through original 1960s Japanese record company catalogues! My quest to produce a definitive book on what Soul was actually released over here during the 60's continues...5 years and counting and enjoying every single minute of it! If a job is worth doing, do it properly says I...even if the sales potential is very, very limited!

You should do it Dave, it would definativly add to the current body of knowledge and I'm sure if done with your usual passion, a great read.

Dave

Social source share

You should do it Dave, it would definativly add to the current body of knowledge and I'm sure if done with your usual passion, a great read.

Never fear, I am in full runaway train mode with it...this week I have also been looking into various Japanese national census stats and noting how many people owned radios and TVs in the mid-60's...great for the bit about record company promotion budget spending!!

I'm sure one day in the distant future looong after I get it into print, someone will cut it up and mix it with French, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch, Australian etc, and produce an enormous 'outside the US and UK Soul release guide'...now there's an idea!?!

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Neil

Don't take it to heart, people like you and Gilly, John Anderson etc (the list is a long one) were pioneers. Going out there, tracking down these guys and also trying to give them a fair shake along the way.

Their are many others that seem to lurk in the shadows grabbing a little reflected fame along the way. Is John Smith one of these, not my place to say. Those that put themselves forward as 'Experts' seem to fall into two camps.

Then the others, that read, research other peoples work, then put forward information based on a rehash of what has gone before, with their own personnal comment. Always focused on the self promotion of themselves as much as the subject they write on.

The internet has made the second groups life very easy. They publish often in a forum or context (The land of the blind man) where the 'One eyed man is king'. But in true reality their contribution to the known body of knowledge on a subject is small and over time history records that.

Love you lots, hope all is well

Dave

Good post and agree with all of that. As with any serious subject it's a case of leaders and followers.

Just like DJs really.

Social source share

Hi Neil,

I've been in touch with John Smith...he is active on RareSoulForum.com (amongst other sites) where I also hang out. I pointed him towards this thread as I thought it may well be him you were referring to. He seems to be a reasonable chap, so I offered to post a reply as he isn't a member on here...here it is:

"Yes it is me. All I said was that some Brit-Soulies were 'under whelmed' with the content of the book - that was after someone else (an American) on SoulfulDetroit.com (SDF) had said it was the most wonderful of books -i.e. I didn't start the conversation, but just added a differing opinion on the book. Hardly a massive dissing of it?!

With regards to the character assassination of my writing saying that I just 'stole' his sleeve notes from his Precisions CD - I got my info on the group direct from Billy Prince when I visited him in San Diego in October 2005. I also had input from Dennis Gilmore & Spyder Turner (who knows Billy & the group from way back), plus some from Lou Ragland (who played tambourine on "If This Is Love").

I had no knowledge of the UK CD of Precisions tracks until just before the group first arrived in Prestatyn (March 2006), but knew of the US (group prepared) version of Precisions cuts, as I had been in touch with Billy constantly between October 2005 & March 2006. This was all talked about on SDF around February 2006 (there was a thread on the topic) and that was when I first became aware of the UK CD. I had written my bio on the group well before that & it had gone up on the Weekender web site. All I did was inform the people on SDF that there was a US CD - that was the sum total of my involvement with the project. As to me organising/preparing the US CD or writing the sleeve notes for it - well that's news to me! When I wrote my bio on the Precisions, I (of course) sent it to the guys (Billy Prince, etc) to get their approval of its contents (I can't stand any piece I do 'going live' with errors in it, so always do this). It may well be that Billy liked what I had written & used bits of it for the US CD sleeve notes?

To round off, as I like to share information with fellow Soul fans, I don't think the group got too much money from Sidra/Drew back in the day, which is one of the reasons they signed with manager Phil Walden and moved onto Atco, where they first teamed up with Jerry 'Swamp Dogg' Williams (who actually helped them with their US CD release).

As a footnote, I don't mix much in mainstream NS circles, being much more of a general Soul fan (never did take to Wigan - the music at the Wheel was much more my thing) and a Modern Soul fan for the last 25+ years. However, I do love meeting / chatting with / getting the low-down on / watching performances by ALL Soul artists though! Can't say I'm too bothered by whom the top scene DJs were/are or who broke what & where, but facts on all the artists I do lap up!"

That's it.

Neil please note I also have a lot of respect for you and what you have done for the scene, so am happy to put you two in touch directly, if it will help...PM me.

Flynny

:huh:

Social source share

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting this up.

To be clear -

1 - I have no problem with John or anyone else being "underwhelmed" with my book. I did my best, and am happy with it, but if John and his cronies thinks it is a load of bollocks that's fine - free comment and all that. The book is essentially interviews with people involved in the Soul scene going back to the 60's, and I think I got good interviews and extracted very readable quotes from the people with stories to tell like Norman Jopling, Chris Hill, Tony Cummings, Dan Penn,George McGregor,Terry Jones,Carl Dene, Pat Brady, Richard Searling, Andy Dyson,John Manship, Pete Lyster,Brian Phillips,Ian Levine, Tony Rounce,Graham Warr, Paul Donnelly,Pete Wid, Russ Winstanley,Arthur Fenn,Dave Thorley,Ady Croasdell,Dick Watt, etc etc - so is John saying that the stories the people told in their own words are all underwhelming?

By all means have a go at me, but to (indirectly) critiise the contributions made by these people seems disrespectful to them? If I am being thin skinned so be it.

2 -Of course John has a perfect right to go on to Soulful Detroit and critique the book. But d if you look at his comments on SD they are a lot more negative than just saying some UK Soulies were underwhelmed with the book. I reproduced them earlier on this thread and that's the way I took them - as did other people who contacted me who also thought John was out of order giving the impression he spoke on behalf of the UK Soul scene.

2 - I have never thought/ said that John stole my sleeve notes for his bio for The Prestatyn programme.What I ASKED was whether it was John who stole my sleevenotes from The Precisions Boy CD and put them on The Precisions own CD. I am not talking here about the same information being used...but a virtual xeroxing of mine. If John says it wasn't him he has answered the question.

3 - I don't think many Soul artists in the 60's got paid high royalties. But I interviewed (the mighty mighty) George McGregor for the Joe Boy release and as A&R man at Drew after Dale Warren he knew what was going on at the label. He said that Drew put a lot of resources and money into The Precisions and treated them well.

4 - This whole thing began with an announcement about Al Abrams book "Hype'N'Soul" which is to be published by Soulvation. Al was Berry Gordy's first employee at Motown and became iconic as the label's legendary press officer. The stories he tells are breathtaking, and after seeing the early pages I don't think anyone will be "underwhelmed" by it.

Neil

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been in touch with John Smith...he is active on RareSoulForum.com (amongst other sites) where I also hang out. I pointed him towards this thread as I thought it may well be him you were referring to. He seems to be a reasonable chap, so I offered to post a reply as he isn't a member on here...here it is:

"Yes it is me. All I said was that some Brit-Soulies were 'under whelmed' with the content of the book - that was after someone else (an American) on SoulfulDetroit.com (SDF) had said it was the most wonderful of books -i.e. I didn't start the conversation, but just added a differing opinion on the book. Hardly a massive dissing of it?!

I AM AUEW

With regards to the character assassination of my writing saying that I just 'stole' his sleeve notes from his Precisions CD - I got my info on the group direct from Billy Prince when I visited him in San Diego in October 2005. I also had input from Dennis Gilmore & Spyder Turner (who knows Billy & the group from way back), plus some from Lou Ragland (who played tambourine on "If This Is Love").

I had no knowledge of the UK CD of Precisions tracks until just before the group first arrived in Prestatyn (March 2006), but knew of the US (group prepared) version of Precisions cuts, as I had been in touch with Billy constantly between October 2005 & March 2006. This was all talked about on SDF around February 2006 (there was a thread on the topic) and that was when I first became aware of the UK CD. I had written my bio on the group well before that & it had gone up on the Weekender web site. All I did was inform the people on SDF that there was a US CD - that was the sum total of my involvement with the project. As to me organising/preparing the US CD or writing the sleeve notes for it - well that's news to me! When I wrote my bio on the Precisions, I (of course) sent it to the guys (Billy Prince, etc) to get their approval of its contents (I can't stand any piece I do 'going live' with errors in it, so always do this). It may well be that Billy liked what I had written & used bits of it for the US CD sleeve notes?

To round off, as I like to share information with fellow Soul fans, I don't think the group got too much money from Sidra/Drew back in the day, which is one of the reasons they signed with manager Phil Walden and moved onto Atco, where they first teamed up with Jerry 'Swamp Dogg' Williams (who actually helped them with their US CD release).

As a footnote, I don't mix much in mainstream NS circles, being much more of a general Soul fan (never did take to Wigan - the music at the Wheel was much more my thing) and a Modern Soul fan for the last 25+ years. However, I do love meeting / chatting with / getting the low-down on / watching performances by ALL Soul artists though! Can't say I'm too bothered by whom the top scene DJs were/are or who broke what & where, but facts on all the artists I do lap up!"

That's it.

Neil please note I also have a lot of respect for you and what you have done for the scene, so am happy to put you two in touch directly, if it will help...PM me.

Flynny

hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Hi Neil,

I've been in touch with John Smith...he is active on RareSoulForum.com (amongst other sites) where I also hang out. I pointed him towards this thread as I thought it may well be him you were referring to. He seems to be a reasonable chap, so I offered to post a reply as he isn't a member on here...here it is: "Yes it is me. All I said was that some Brit-Soulies were 'under whelmed' with the content of the book - that was after someone else (an American) on SoulfulDetroit.com (SDF) had said it was the most wonderful of books -i.e. I didn't start the conversation, but just added a differing opinion on the book. Hardly a massive dissing of it?!

That's it.

Flynny

hatsoff2.gif

I do find this sort of comment sad. I've known John many years, hell even had the man round my house, with his good lady wife for dinner. His implication that he is some sort of higher being a real soul fan, where as we that inhabit this site or the Northern Scene are some how lesser beings. Bollocks

Social source share

Dave- Point John Smith to me and see what kind of reponse he gets.

If Neil doesn't know him, I do. A first class moron, who totally disrespects Northern Soul stalwarts who know far more than him.

A vindictive little prick!

Tell him I said so!

You tell 'em Kev!

Nice to see someone speak their mind.

Social source share

I have known John Smith for donkey's years (the one from Donny) and have never found hime to be anything but a passinate soul fan and a complete gent. After reading some of the comments on here I thought they must have been directed to a different bloke.

Edited by Val (Chunky)
Social source share

Val- You know a different guy to me!

The one in question is about as disrespectful to not only me but some of my colleagues too.

The comments from Neil

do not surprise me in the slightest.

You buy his act.....I'm not!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

I have known John Smith for donkey's years (the one from Donny) and have never found hime to be anything but a passinate soul fan and a complete gent. After reading some of the comments on here I thought they must have been directed to a different bloke.

I'm with Val on this. I have also known John for many years and he is a complete gent. His knowledge of Soul music is second to none.

Were all entitled to our opinion on other peoples product - music or books but if we voice it then lets try to keep it positive.

None of us have the right to slag off our fellow man (If you cant say anything nice about her/him don't say nothing at all)

Regards to all

Paul

Social source share

Question for the day.

Neil

It was a magnificent book and one I feel incredibly proud to have been part off.

Social source share

It was a magnificent book and one I feel incredibly proud to have been part off.

I JUST WANT A COPY PLEEEEEEASE. Nice to see you are up and about nice and early Paul. Sun shining in Whittlesey ?? ATB Tony in sunny OZ.

Social source share

I JUST WANT A COPY PLEEEEEEASE. Nice to see you are up and about nice and early Paul. Sun shining in Whittlesey ?? ATB Tony in sunny OZ.

ERE GOES---- https://www.soulvation.biz/nss.html

32 Degress here at the moment, just got my flippys on and I'm orf to Delph for me paper and then a peacful 30mins on me patio before having to take shelter from the relentless heat....

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say I have known the J.Smith in question for many years and

find it difficult to believe he would resort to copying anything.

John is in touch with dozens maybe hundreds of soul artists

all over the U.S.A. and regularly finds out interesting information/facts

regarding who recorded with who and when etc.

I have always found him to be a rather charming old gentleman who has

recently retired and is now mastering the dark arts of Hoovering, ironing and washing up.

I have it on good authority, from his brother Martin, that last Christmas he did all the lunch dishes in a positively

boyant mood as his wife had bought him a new Wigan Casino pinafore complete with a scan

of Footsie on a Demo.

Following the comments made in this forum, I decided to contact him and his family and friends to

make sure that his proximity to becoming an octogenarian had not had any adverse effects.

Although I could not speak to Mr Smith personally, as he had gone out for

a loaf 3 days ago and got lost, I did manage to contact his wife, brother and a friend.

A source said he was becoming incresingly concerned about Mr Smith's mental state

and hinted that maybe he could not cope with the incresing fame of his younger brother

who is apparently becoming a big noise on the Modden scene.This kind of sibling rivalry

probably stems from a very poor background in South Yorkshire.

His wife said that he has his good days and apart from the bed wetting and erectile dysfunction

things were fine.His hoovering was improving leaps and bounds but she does still have to change his colestomy bag

and make sure he takes his medication.However she is quite worried about his new obssesion for Pye Disco Demand and Spark

demo copies,he recently swapped the family budgie for a Honeyend Spark Demo.

I am hoping to see Mr Smith this weekend at Cleethorpes and we will no doubt have a long chat,

I will see if I can get an answer to the issues raised on here.

Finally I would appeal to the members of this site to show a little christian charity towards an elderly man who

has been part of the scene since God(in) was a lad, and probably knows more about our music

than most of the causeway edge pissers on this site put together.

Cheers

Kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have to say I have known the J.Smith in question for many years and...

Cheers

Kegsy

Great post and so much better to read than the childish personal slagging's posted a couple of times earlier which had nothing to do with the thread and say more about the poster than our beloved "soul octegenarion'... lol

so he didn't copy any notes anyway then?

Social source share

I doubt we'd ever see him with anything Wigan related anywhere near him.

He missed the 70's completely.

Sean

He must be nearer 80 than I thought !!!!!.

Kegsy

See you tomorrow and I'll buy you a Guiness, should have Charlie and the old it with me.

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert