Dry Well/ellen & The Shandells

I went to a bar last night where I was treated to chuck jackson's any day now and gene chandler's 'I'm just a fool for you' followed by psyche stuff like love, the pretty things etc. The dj also played chapter five, which as I said on another thread has been lapped up by the psyche/freakbeat crowd. as I was listening I remembered the dry well thing and thought how apt it would have sounded it that setting. my question is who played it first. was it a winstanley thing? I remember it as late 70's, possibly 1979 or 1980.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I went to a bar last night where I was treated to chuck jackson's any day now and gene chandler's 'I'm just a fool for you' followed by psyche stuff like love, the pretty things etc. The dj also played chapter five, which as I said on another thread has been lapped up by the psyche/freakbeat crowd. as I was listening I remembered the dry well thing and thought how apt it would have sounded it that setting. my question is who played it first. was it a winstanley thing? I remember it as late 70's, possibly 1979 or 1980.

I'm rubbish at who played what, where, first, but my memory of Dry Well was as a Cleethorpes sound. I think I knew about Dry Well before I heard of the Ellen & The Shandells title disc, but think that was the first press. I'm sure other's can fill int he gaps. I recall it played frequently at Warrington Parr Hall after Wigan and the pier.

When I've played it, it's one of those records that gets as many positive comments as negative ones. For me a great dance record to loose yourself in the mood of the floor.

Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

is this the same as dry well by gypsy?

Social source share

So many years ago. This is how I remember it. Elaine and The Shodells appeared first, black label I think?? Yes Sam did play it circa 79ish. Dave Raistrick turned up the Dry Well release on an Orange label, which was a 1 off at the time, which he sold to me in 1980 for £40 (a lot at the time). Both 45s were identical songs and cuts. The LP which emerged later is a different take and vocals, more poppy.

Social source share

Guest martyn

I've turned something up on Martin's Box site. An article on a St.Ives March 1979 all-dayer where Soul Sam is sort of credited with spinning it, along with don ray, the magnetics and the sharpetts.

https://martins_box.tripod.com/id27.htm

Sam played it as Ellen & The Shondells on & off at both St Ives Dayers & The Fleet Nighters 78/79/80 . I can't recall anyone else playing it at the time . I didn't even realise that it was released as Dry Well untill years latter . Not sure , but it may have had spins from Sam at Cleethorpes even earlier than that .

Edit ;

Sorry ,didn't read Rick Scotts post before I replied , knew there was a Cleethorpes connection somewhere ! hatsoff2.gif

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Sam played it as Ellen & The Shondells on & off at both St Ives Dayers & The Fleet Nighters 78/79/80 . I can't recall anyone else playing it at the time . I didn't even realise that it was released as Dry Well untill years latter . Not sure , but it may have had spins from Sam at Cleethorpes even earlier than that .

Edit ;

Sorry ,didn't read Rick Scotts post before I replied , knew there was a Cleethorpes connection somewhere ! hatsoff2.gif

have mind 79 d well

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I'm rubbish at who played what, where, first, but my memory of Dry Well was as a Cleethorpes sound. I think I knew about Dry Well before I heard of the Ellen & The Shandells title disc, but think that was the first press. I'm sure other's can fill int he gaps. I recall it played frequently at Warrington Parr Hall after Wigan and the pier.

When I've played it, it's one of those records that gets as many positive comments as negative ones. For me a great dance record to loose yourself in the mood of the floor.

I used to play it regular at Warrington, but definately a Cleggy sound first...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert