High-Voltage..........country Roads

Not heard this for more than 30yrs,but can still remember it well...l absolutely loved it to death :wave::yes:

No ideas about at all...Heard that Chaka Khan was the vocalist but that could well be an Urban Myth :hatsoff2:

A clip would really,really nice! Thanks in advance (Hopefully!!) :lol:

Edited by webbydublin
Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Did a great LP as well.Country Roads is on it.Bea

ts John Denvers versionthumbsup.gif

Its a version of grand funk original (see above),nothing to do with JD'S version. biggrin.gif

Social source share

My mind is fading,but didn't Betty Wright have an album called High Voltage?

"Danger High Voltage" Webby.

I'm talking about an LP by the artist 'High Voltage'

The group responsible for the 'shocking record' that Joe just referred to!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

At last,somebody with a bit of sense! yes.gifbiggrin.gif

Always reminds me of M's......Always!! yes.gifthumbsup.gif

Well it reminds me of the Highland Room, loved it than love it now. (High Voltage- Country Rd)

The Betty Wright LP had "Where is the Love" and "Love don't grow on a love tree" on it. Both played at the time.

Dave.

Social source share

Where is the love...Brill!! yes.gifthumbsup.gif

Was Shoorah! Shoorah! on it as well?

I think it might me, just had a quick look, but can't put my hands on LP at the moment.

It is deff on the CD version of the album but there are extra tracks on the CD. (2 of her LPs on 1 CD)

Social source share

I have a High Voltage LP.... but can't remember if its any good or not! :huh:

Sean

Great LP.Been digging trying to find it.............Country Roads take me home, to the place I belong West Virginia.Remember the cover has the band on it in early seventies mode ie Sly Stone etc.Did find Tommy Hunt live at Wigan in 76 on LP though UK Spark and Major Lance Torch LP promo along with the Hinckley Lp....

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Which song played in the main room at Wigan?

Country Road:yes:

Where is the love:yes:

Love trees:yes:

BETTY WRIGHT - WHERE IS THE LOVE -

Social source share

Great LP.Been digging trying to find it.............Country Roads take me home, to the place I belong West Virginia.Remember the cover has the band on it in early seventies mode ie Sly Stone etc.Did find Tommy Hunt live at Wigan in 76 on LP though UK Spark and Major Lance Torch LP promo along with the Hinckley Lp....

High Voltages "Country Roads" is a indeed cover version, but of a track by heavy rock outfit Grand Funk Railroad - Mark Farner, who wrote it, was their lead singer IIRC. So no Olivia connection, sadly...rolleyes.gif

Social source share

High Voltages "Country Roads" is a indeed cover version, but of a track by heavy rock outfit Grand Funk Railroad - Mark Farner, who wrote it, was their lead singer IIRC. So no Olivia connection, sadly...rolleyes.gif

Does anybody read my posts sad.gif

Social source share

High Voltage - Country Road - what a fantastic record - don't know if anyone's ever noticed this but there are two different demos, the usual one and a second one which has RUSH RELEASE printed on the label, I've only had one of the second type.

Social source share

I think the lyric takes a swipe at the blue ridge mountain shenandoah river bliss john denver describes in his song. The lyric is pretty explicit about 'too much killin' and too many wars' etc. Grand Funk Railroad were massive in the 70s, particularly in America, and I seem to remember their name on rock festival bills in the UK. High Voltage give the song a ghetto reading in my opinion, either way it's a great track. Wonderful pulsing bass, Soulful vocal and blaring horns. I don't remember it from M's, more of a main hall jobbie for me.

Social source share

High Voltage - Country Road - what a fantastic record - don't know if anyone's ever noticed this but there are two different demos, the usual one and a second one which has RUSH RELEASE printed on the label, I've only had one of the second type.

Pete, I guess the rush release demo was due to demand from Uk, I bought this as a new release issue from Record Corner when copies came flooding into the Uk.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Guest martyn

I've a nice Grey Issue as well as a white demo thumbsup.gif

This was always a favourite of mine back in the day and it still sounds great now! In fact I wandered into the main room at Bury Town Hall the other week whilst it was playing and it sounded fabulous!

Cheers

Steve

Ive never seen an issue , would imagine its quite rare (?) .

Reminds me of the 3rd aniversary night at Wigan - it got played a couple of times in the main hall , brilliant record .

Social source share

I have a High Voltage LP.... but can't remember if its any good or not! :D

I had a test pressing of the album complete with engineer notes etc...no finished sleeve kinda thing. Yes, 'Country road' is on there, but the rest was average at best with no other track being Northern-able and possibly only one or two for the Funk fans...imo.

:D

Social source share

I had a test pressing of the album complete with engineer notes etc...no finished sleeve kinda thing. Yes, 'Country road' is on there, but the rest was average at best with no other track being Northern-able and possibly only one or two for the Funk fans...imo.

ph34r.gif

Thanks Dave, I thought as much.

That saves me spending time looking for it!

:D

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert