Is This The Way

Just a thought:

When I started out on the long trip to where I am to day, I went to the local youth, local night clubs and soul nights then onto all dayers/nighters. A lot of the tunes I heard at my local night club where also played at soul venues, I'm not talking about re-issues here, although of course they were being played, it was the way it was and a lot of these charted, but I'm talking about the new releases of the day, the philly tunes and the soul disco stuff, some great music and a lot of them rightly classed as classics today.

I went to the Mecca reunion on Saturday and I could have been in my local disco back in the 70's hearing the likes of Taraves, Moments, and others and I'm gussing we've missed a trick here, the way to get youngest interested is via the good stuff that's being released today, but we've become too snobby either about rarity or not playing it because it's on a UK label or dare I say it simply because it is a new release.

I'm not nescessary saying we should play it at all the niters by default some of them don't lend themselves, Bidds for example, but why not say Stoke it's surely big enough (crowd wise) to be able to throw some of these tune in during the night, and I see nothing wrong in playing these tunes at soul nights and if it helps get a younger crowd through the door, hopefully their next step is that they crossover to the more uncommercial items, just like we did back in the day.

Are we ready, willing and able to play the likes of Eli Paperboy Reed at our soul venues.

Social source share

• Replies 96
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

the way to get youngest interested is via the good stuff that's being released today,

I don't see why youngsters can only be attracted by new releases. When i got into soul as a teenager pretty much everything i was listening to was 60s or early 70s, no new releases at all. Why should it be different thesedays?

I've got nothing at all against music that charted or even new releases these days, i just disagree that this is what will necessarily attract a younger crowd. If they've got ears they'll appreciate what's already on offer surely?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Bit of a chicken and egg situation imo.

To play new releases to the younger element they have to attend in the first place.

And if they are there then it's probably because they have discovered the music already.

And don't necessarily want to hear anything that is played in the local night club.

Social source share

I don't see why youngsters can only be attracted by new releases. When i got into soul as a teenager pretty much everything i was listening to was 60s or early 70s, no new releases at all. Why should it be different thesedays?

Matt I think it depends when you got into it, by what you stated I would guess you're a tad younger than me, and if I'm correct the scene by the time you got there it was a different route, ask yourself how and why you got into it, there must have been some influence, you just didn't wake up and say I want to be a rare soul boy.

Social source share

Bit of a chicken and egg situation imo.

To play new releases to the younger element they have to attend in the first place.

And if they are there then it's probably because they have discovered the music already.

And don't necessarily want to hear anything that is played in the local night club.

Correct, so you have to advertise the club/event differently, not just at soul events and let people know what they will be playing.

Social source share

Saw a couple of very eager youngsters on sat night. although it was an 'oldies' night, they were up for it and gettin lots of encouragement. There seems to be quite a few young uns around at certain venues like this.

because we only go to oldies type events, im not sure if they frequent the more progressive do's ? (anyone?)

Social source share

But the problem I have with that is it becomes more of "disco / pop" night than a rare soul scene.

Correct, so you have to advertise the club/event differently, not just at soul events and let people know what they will be playing.

Social source share

But the problem I have with that is it becomes more of "disco / pop" night than a rare soul scene.

That's true Tabs, in effect you need to build from scratch an entire new scene for this to work....so start a night as described by funkyfeet and then hope that a % of the people there will eventually migrate onto the existing soul scene.

One thing I've always wanted to do but have never managed, is to talk a city centre nightclub owner into letting me put on a 60s/70s soul/funk night. Many nightclubs have a different 'theme' each week....as in a 70s disco night or 80s glam etc, 90% of the people in there will attend no matter what the theme is, because it's what they do every Saturday night so I would just love to see the reaction hundreds of youngsters would have to up tempo soul/funk/RnB etc and see how many showed any kind of genuine interest in the music.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Matt I think it depends when you got into it, by what you stated I would guess you're a tad younger than me, and if I'm correct the scene by the time you got there it was a different route, ask yourself how and why you got into it, there must have been some influence, you just didn't wake up and say I want to be a rare soul boy.

True. My route was the same as you, youth clubs and local discos. It was around 1978, but all the soul we listened to had charted four or five years earlier or was 60s soul and the northern soul played at youth clubs was what was big at Wigan because our local DJ was a Wigan regular. I can't honestly say chart music of the time was got me into northern soul, although some of it was good.

Social source share

I've got nothing at all against music that charted or even new releases these days, i just disagree that this is what will necessarily attract a younger crowd. If they've got ears they'll appreciate what's already on offer surely?

Hi Matt

The sad thing is I think is that the youngsters are brainwashed, like tunnle vision, I got a daughter of 22 and a son of 20 and their music taste is rap, nothing but rap, I did take my son to Oxford soul club a year ago, I said to him at the end of the night what he thought, he said its ok but not for me, which is fine, I just don't think a lot of them are interested in (our music)

Social source share

Personally think the rare groove thing in the 90s did this very well. Brand New Heavies , Young Diciples etc mixed up with 70s soul/funk/jazz etc. My own, and indeed quite a few others early entrance into the whole rare soul thing came about from listening to Tamla/Stax etc. The more commercial side of soul. No reason why certain nights that have that (commercial) crossover appeal can do the same with the soul scene with some imaginative dj line ups - cross promoting more 'rare' nights and exposing people to the 'other' side. What are we really looking for? People to continue the northern oldies scene or just the rare soul scene in general? Once we 'hook' people in they can choose whatever path or paths they like as we all have done over the years. Lets not get pigeon hole - just get on with promoting the longevity of what is one of the greatest genres of music that has ever been produced. What better than for someone to say I love that Eli Paper Boy track then hear a say Invictus/Motown 45 and say I love that too!!!! There are many ways into this great music and none should ever be discounted. All avenues should be open without compromise and everybody has their part to play in the continuance of this scene.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Matt

The sad thing is I think is that the youngsters are brainwashed, like tunnle vision, I got a daughter of 22 and a son of 20 and their music taste is rap, nothing but rap, I did take my son to Oxford soul club a year ago, I said to him at the end of the night what he thought, he said its ok but not for me, which is fine, I just don't think a lot of them are interested in (our music)

Hi Steve thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately i don't think it's just an age thing, my wife isn't into it at all despite soul records dropping through the letterbox and blasting from speakers 24/7 (and she's 40) sad.gif

Actually i've just remembered that one of the routes in for me was through commercially released compilations like Motown Chartbusters, This Is Northern Soul, and the emerging mod revival made 60s and retro music more acceptable to the youth of the late 70s. A couple of years ago when the KFC adverts released a compilation several kids at school had it on their portable CD players (how time change, it's all ipods now). New releases but of old material.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

What's gonna get someone new onto the scene?? Love Machine-The Miracles or You Don't Mean It-Chapter Five?? The former l reckon :ohmy::thumbup:

Have to disagree there. Chapter Five is massive on the psych/freakbeat scene which is thoroughly populated by nubiles that dance on tables and dudes wearing 'kerchiefs' and hipsters. Their average age is 25 I'd say. When I hit the nightclubs in 1976 I'd have to be arseholed to dance to Disco. Back then I preferred The Del Rays and The World Column to Brass Construction and Crown Heights Affair and to be honest I still do. I don't see that playing charted material from the 70s is going to pump vital blood into an ageing UK scene.

Social source share

Have to disagree there. Chapter Five is massive on the psych/freakbeat scene which is thoroughly populated by nubiles that dance on tables and dudes wearing 'kerchiefs' and hipsters. Their average age is 25 I'd say. When I hit the nightclubs in 1976 I'd have to be arseholed to dance to Disco. Back then I preferred The Del Rays and The World Column to Brass Construction and Crown Heights Affair and to be honest I still do. I don't see that playing charted material from the 70s is going to pump vital blood into an ageing UK scene.

I not saying 70's chart music, you missed the point, I'm talking about brand new soul releases that wouldn't be amiss on our scene, we actually discuss them on here to good reviews, we just don't play them out, the question is why, surely if we think they're good enough to discuss on here they are good enough to play out, by default if you are young and into them cause you've heard them on radio/youtube/disco then it's a way into the soul scene, if you knew that the soul scene actually played them.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

True, I did miss your point, in fairness you did say current releases. I think the last modern Soul record I listened to was Macy Gray's 'I Try', and that was 2000'ish. Sadly, I find most of these contemporary releases unpalatable, but that's just my taste and tastes are like colours, there are lots of them! My apologies...

Social source share

You cant beat abit of Sharon Jones, a proper soul sister! I've got a few of her tracks that slip into a set no problem

I was lucky enough to see her live at koko's in london last month and she blew me away. I'd go as far as saying better than when i went to go and watch the legend that is stevie wonder hatsoff2.gif !

Social source share

Think that recreational pharmaceuticals may be playing a major role there...as they were when l danced to it in the 70's...By the way what does a psych/freakbeat person happen to look like then?? Cos l'm stumped! :thumbup:

Get yerself down to an Untouchables event in the smoke or the EuroYeYe in Spain & you'll find out...

Social source share

You cant beat abit of Sharon Jones, a proper soul sister! I've got a few of her tracks that slip into a set no problem

I was lucky enough to see her live at koko's in london last month and she blew me away. I'd go as far as saying better than when i went to go and watch the legend that is stevie wonder hatsoff2.gif !

Yes, Sharon is superb.

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

funkyfeet i agree if a song has the right beat and feel and is danceable and it gets passed the soul police give it a whirl and see what happens, good luck im off (raphael sadique will he do)

Social source share

As has been said many times before on here, contemporary music has always been played on the scene, but it was usually stuff that had blanked stateside. We were/are a rare soul scene and as such a lot of people would like it to stay that way. I don't think the Soul Police really enter into it.

Social source share

I'm confused now.

Could it be worse than Gypsy - Dry Well? That was pure psyche, surely.

And the Seven Dwarfs...?

And the simply dreadful Hey Little Wayout Girl? I was a full time paid up member of the SP back then.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest Sean Haydon

Just a thought:

When I started out on the long trip to where I am to day, I went to the local youth, local night clubs and soul nights then onto all dayers/nighters. A lot of the tunes I heard at my local night club where also played at soul venues, I'm not talking about re-issues here, although of course they were being played, it was the way it was and a lot of these charted, but I'm talking about the new releases of the day, the philly tunes and the soul disco stuff, some great music and a lot of them rightly classed as classics today.

I went to the Mecca reunion on Saturday and I could have been in my local disco back in the 70's hearing the likes of Taraves, Moments, and others and I'm gussing we've missed a trick here, the way to get youngest interested is via the good stuff that's being released today, but we've become too snobby either about rarity or not playing it because it's on a UK label or dare I say it simply because it is a new release.

I'm not nescessary saying we should play it at all the niters by default some of them don't lend themselves, Bidds for example, but why not say Stoke it's surely big enough (crowd wise) to be able to throw some of these tune in during the night, and I see nothing wrong in playing these tunes at soul nights and if it helps get a younger crowd through the door, hopefully their next step is that they crossover to the more uncommercial items, just like we did back in the day.

Are we ready, willing and able to play the likes of Eli Paperboy Reed at our soul venues.

No! But then again, he might be good for handing out a few flyerselvis.gif

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Webby, Chapter 5 aint gonna get anyone with sense onto the scene :thumbup:

I thought chapter 5 was alright,certainly a lot better than the snake YUK

Social source share

If I'm reading this correctly, you are asking if present chart sounds should be played at Allnighters?

That's really not what Northernsoul is about is it

The Northernsoul scene is about turning your back on the commercial successes and championing those tracks that didn't make it.

If you want commercial music there are more than enough night clubs playing today's chart busters and tomorrows number one.

Of course you will always find a track that crosses over when it has captured imaginations but these are as rare as hen's teeth.

I would suggest that a fair slice of the seventies tunes that struck a cord with the Nighter goers where of the evolutionary soul bands who had gone "Disco".

If you wish for a clutch of "Duffy" type acts to be ushered in as the new soul sound then I will have none of that I tell you, we are a local scene for local people, we won't have any of this sort of thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8lq5Urj-kc

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Personally I think that the music we all listen to generally has to be 'matured' into

Some of the younger ones...like the Beat Boutique lot get it straight away...but they are in the minority

I have flirted with Soul Music since I was in my teens...attended the odd Scooter Rally...went to the odd allnighter...but it was still a completely alien landscape to me for many years

'What was all that record buying at a night about?'

'Why are they stopping and clapping after every record?'

The music was always good in those informative years but if i'm completely honest I couldn't tell one northern soul record from another...they all sort of melted into one sound

In my mid twenties I started putting on contemporary soul nights...General big sound Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield type affairs which saw me buying more vinyl...which led me to discovering more obscure stuff (I worked for Fat City Records in Manc for a short while and they put out '45 King' EPs with a cross section of soul/funk etc etc) I started going into the backroom and buying the odd pieces off Mike and Andy Madhatter and building up a collection of 12 inch soul

Suppose the ulreka moment came when I joined Soul Source...had always known about the site and used to browse it without joining

I always thought I knew about Soul...when I joined I ruffled a few feathers but i've never been the shy and retiring type wink.gif

But in the time i've been here i've learned more from you people than I ever did...and I know more about R&B than maybe some of you do now!

Suppose what i'm trying to say is with age comes musical maturity...you guys were lucky...when you were teenagers this was your music so you have grown with it

When I was a teen it was outdoor raves, house music, the hacienda...it takes time to find your feet musically...and if you tread the right path then the youngsters will find this great music...they just might be in their 30s like me though when they do thumbsup.gif

Social source share

A young chap came to do some work for us were i work.His mobile rang - ringtone?..only Frank Wilson.Found myself in the "do you like a bit of Northern youth" situation.

He said he did,,,but his mates thought he was a bit weird hanging with the wrinklies.He was about 35.

BITD the new releases were more akin to a Motown,Stax etc feel.So the new releases sat along side club sounds and (what became) NS discoveries.Imports.

Golddigga - Kanye West at a nighter?.Not for me,but i like the track.Retro of course.Bound to be.

The Mecca went thru a phase of playing stuff that eventually charted in the disco period.But imo none of those tracks can be really taken seriously nowadays.

Some of the new RnB/Soul artistes have got their roots and grounding BITD,but that don't mean by default their particular sound appeals to the nighter/Ns/rare scene.

Social source share

Personally I think that the music we all listen to generally has to be 'matured' into

Some of the younger ones...like the Beat Boutique lot get it straight away...but they are in the minority

I have flirted with Soul Music since I was in my teens...attended the odd Scooter Rally...went to the odd allnighter...but it was still a completely alien landscape to me for many years

The music was always good in those informative years but if i'm completely honest I couldn't tell one northern soul record from another...they all sort of melted into one sound

In my mid twenties I started putting on contemporary soul nights...General big sound Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield type affairs which saw me buying more vinyl...which led me to discovering more obscure stuff (I worked for Fat City Records in Manc for a short while and they put out '45 King' EPs with a cross section of soul/funk etc etc) I started going into the backroom and buying the odd pieces off Mike and Andy Madhatter and building up a collection of 12 inch soul

Suppose the ulreka moment came when I joined Soul Source...had always known about the site and used to browse it without joining

I always thought I knew about Soul...when I joined I ruffled a few feathers but i've never been the shy and retiring type wink.gif

But in the time i've been here i've learned more from you people than I ever did...and I know more about R&B than maybe some of you do now!

Suppose what i'm trying to say is with age comes musical maturity...you guys were lucky...when you were teenagers this was your music so you have grown with it

When I was a teen it was outdoor raves, house music, the hacienda...it takes time to find your feet musically...and if you tread the right path then the youngsters will find this great music...they just might be in their 30s like me though when they do thumbsup.gif

This question will still be asked on here in 30 years time.. :thumbsup: ..... Some will find what ticks our box and some will never find it.... Its in the laws of nature...

Let nature takes its course...

And when these young people come along and ask " ok whats it all about", who is gonna tell them??? who is the lord god of soul that could lead the children out of the darkness and into the light :hatsoff2:

Some take time, many moons like Beeks and others find it at a very young age.... I know some old soulies who became ravers and pill heads in their 40s...

The music like life is out there...

Leave it to mother nature, who works in strange ways at times.... Beeks came from 12 inch soul world to the deeeeeeeeeep side of 7 inch devil worshippers music in a quite short space of time, a change that would make Roy Croppers wife look normal :thumbsup: to some folk...

In the words of Marvin...."" seek and you will find"...

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Beeks came from 12 inch soul world to the deeeeeeeeeep side of 7 inch devil worshippers music in a quite short space of time, a change that would make Roy Croppers wife look normal laugh.gif to some folk...

Corrie?! NAH!

I was found on the 'Crossroads' thumbsup.giflaugh.gif

benny_250x350.jpg

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've said this before, but for the new sounds to excite 'the kids'. They have to be seen as relevant to them, today.

Not some utopia allegedly experienced by the pareents and grand parents.

Its all well and good artists using the 60s and 70s as an influence, but they stil will have to be relevant to today, or they will IMO be seen in a similar way to how we viewed Shakin Stevens, or Showaddywaddy.

And thats where the problem lies in crossing over into our area of acceptability, for want of a better word.

We are generally moved by a guy or gal singing of their love or heartbreak, in a way that resounds with us. Would the 100 club dancefloor react well to a tune saying -

Fancy cracking one off, but too young to buy a jazz mag? We've got an App for that!

I'm not so sure it would thumbsup.gif

Social source share

That's a great very well put response Beeks thumbsup.gif

Boy have you mellowed since you first joined hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

A simple message to all old people on the scene.......

Us youngsters have ears, opinions and an ability to seek out what we want to seek out.

(Obviously said tongue in cheek) laugh.gif

In all honesty though, and talking strictly from that nuts n bolts of it all here, i don't see how different things are now to as they were then, only that the choice of music and cults is perhaps vasterand growing all the time, so you're less likely to influence 'young 'uns' into this musical movement. It's as simple as that.

I don't understand why we'd look to adjust events that are established now? People promote those events for what they are. If people want something different musically (and i'm talking within the scene here) they will either find that in existance or start up that very type of night. If that type of music happens to appeal to a younger market and gets a foot in the door then fair do's, but that's no different a position for an 'old stager' surely???

I'd like to think people would give the 'young 'uns' some credit..........If they listen to it and get it, then great, if they don't then so what?

I'd probably be classed as a young un age wise, but listened to all genres from this scene since i was about 13. Gone through changes in taste more times than i change my underpants and got into collecting / promoting over the years. Playing new releases or disco stuff would've probably put me off to be honest because i didn't just love the music, i loved learning about it too, which is important. True, you can only do that once you got your foot in the door.

BUT........If i was a newby and went to an event that played commercial soul and thought, "hmmmmmmmm, i like this, im gonna go to more events" learned more and built up to a nighter or established SOUL event with a more elitist crowd, i'd be well f*cked off if it wasn't a progression i.e. played commercial stuff.

Like Beeks said, mature into the music. Until then, plenty of opportunity for young uns to dip their toe in, and plenty of great nights that play soul genre's which appeal more to a younger generation as well as the old guard.

'Young'

Azza

Social source share

By and large kids are not interested in vinyl, downloads and iPods are what are relevant to them.

I also don't see why we should dilute the music so that it "might" appeal to some youngsters. They will either get it or not and besides most have no inclination to hang about with people older than their parents.

Social source share

By and large kids are not interested in vinyl, downloads and iPods are what are relevant to them.

I also don't see why we should dilute the music so that it "might" appeal to some youngsters. They will either get it or not and besides most have no inclination to hang about with people older than their parents.

Well said! :hatsoff2:

Debbie x

Social source share

Just a few weeks ago, I had a 'spat' with a promoter about music policy.

I said if you have one and advertise it, then stick to it.

If an event has an 'anything goes' policy, so be it and no shocks if some DJ goes way off the mark.

We all started on this scene liking the most popular stuff as thats what most teenagers do. Its only as you get older your likes and dislikes become clearer.

I've got no problem with whatever gets played as long as its a good night, but do object to listening to stuff not advertised.

DJs play to the crowd, and get the floor full, thats part of the job, but it can get too extreme if no boundaries are set.

You pay your money and make your choice, as they say.

Ed

Social source share

I agree , why do you want to encourage youngsters onto the scene? They've got their music, we've got ours.I've got 3 sons aged 14, 21 and 24 and I wouldn't expect them to be interested in rare/northern soul, in fact I'd consider them to be sad gits if they did.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I wouldn't expect them to be interested in rare/northern soul, in fact I'd consider them to be sad gits if they did.

what a f**king stupid post..

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

what a f**king stupid post..

I thought it was a very relevant post. On the premise that the majority of us on here got into it in the mid 70's, then the tunes we were listening to were either brand new or no more than 10 or 12 years old.

If a kid now was into tunes from 1965 - ie 45 years ago - that's more or less the same as us being into tunes from 1930. Even my dad would have thought I was fookin div if I'd been into music from then.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

I thought it was a very relevant post. On the premise that the majority of us on here got into it in the mid 70's, then the tunes we were listening to were either brand new or no more than 10 or 12 years old.

If a kid now was into tunes from 1965 - ie 45 years ago - that's more or less the same as us being into tunes from 1930. Even my dad would have thought I was fookin div if I'd been into music from then.

The problem with that is that the music from the 1930's was not all that, where as soul music from whatever era is generally very, very good.

Edited by Ollie Lailey
Social source share

Guest Beeks

Don't be daft..so you're saying that younger people who like older music are idiots?!? You'll have to tell all those kids into Pink Floyd..The Stones..Joy Division..The Pixies and any other bands/artists that are more than 10 years old that their music taste is shite and they have to listen to speed garage and stop being sad..no?

Thought not..

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Don't be daft..so you're saying that younger people who like older music are idiots?!? You'll have to tell all those kids into Pink Floyd..The Stones..Joy Division..The Pixies and any other bands/artists that are more than 10 years old that their music taste is shite and they have to listen to speed garage and stop being sad..no?

Thought not..

Peer pressure when you're young is a big thing - nobody wants to look or act like a complete nob. Just looked at the current Downloads Top 40 and there's no sign of Pink Floyd, The Stones or, sadly, Joy Division (although because of today's 30th anniversary - RIP Ian - this may be rectified shortly). As for Speed Garage, I felt that this nearly killed the House scene in 1997 - are people still playing it?

Social source share

Thought not..

It's more complicated than that isnt it, add the Doors, Beatles, Zepp and more and they all get thrown in the mix regularly with contemporary stuff at any fashionable Rock Pop type music pub or venue. So old and new being played in a trendy venue, Rock and Pop has and never will have a problem gaining exposure to the kids in UK.

Exposing kids to soul isnt as easy as say back when youth culture was at its height, older relations into; skins, mod, suedes etc would expose younger siblings who looked up to these cool fashion dudes.

Usually find playing at a popular pub throwing in some predictable and rarer stuff into a "move on up" type set, gets a few up asking what was that is the best start, tho its a slower process now as many alternative rave ups available.

And if you manage to get them trek to a village hall sorta place with all middle aged folk set in their ways reminiscing to the same stuff every time, then maybe they'll give this cutting edge underground scene a miss.

Social source share

Guest Dante

I think I fall into the 'kids' category, being 19 years old. I do collect vinyl and I do love soul music. Despite that I agree completely with Chalky on this one.

There's deffo a young generation getting into vinyl, but most definitely northern soul. Mostly indie-rock and hip hop / funk etc. Some of them (specially the latter) might wander off to the northern scene / style, some of them won't. I did wander into it through the reggae / ska scene. I didn't need any youngsters-appeal, new releases or hip image to fell in love with the music, I just did.

I do think people who like soul music have a very unique sensibility, so the 'chosen ones' will know when the time comes without anyone urging them or making it easy for them.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert