Eli Paperboy Reed

Of course it's pastiche-it's a soul/motown tribute pop record in the same league as Wham but it probably ain't gonna sell as many copies.

But not as good a voice as George Michael? What do you think?

I think you're stretching your point too far and getting a bit silly now.

He's got a great soul voice.

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

should of heard this ages ago, its ok, he can sing, the song is well...... bit pastiche really, and the whole thing a little on the derivative side for me folks. not knocking it cause itsa new, but he aint a patch on James Hunter. and not in the same league as nicole Willis, sharon jones or most of the timmion stuff.

Been to see both Sharon Jones and Eli Reed recently, and Eli was the better live act. SJ is a great singer, but her live act is very showy with dancing and audience participation, whereas Eli just gets on with it and puts all of his energy into his singing. He is diefinately better than James Hunter live, saw them on the same show at the Soho arts Theatre and JH was couldn't follow Eli's smokon' performance. On the recorded front the new Eli album is a smoother production than his first, and SJ is very consistent across all of her albums.

I suggest anyone who doubts how good ELi is check him out live.

Edited by timthemod
Social source share

Agreed. And what makes me laugh, there's a link to a new release Beres Hammond track on here which people are raving about, it's as dull as anything I've ever heard and a complete waste of vinyl, this Eli Paperboy Reed record leaps out of the speakers and is fresh as a daisy. If there has to be such a thing as Modern NORTHERN Soul, why can't this be it?

Pete, what are you doing letting that crazy kid near those precious slabs of vinyl? You need to be setting some ground rules mate! Lee

Social source share

Pete, what are you doing letting that crazy kid near those precious slabs of vinyl? You need to be setting some ground rules mate! Lee

She just wrecks everything in her way, she'd got into my room and pulled loads of old 60's records off the bottom shelf so I just let her get on with it through fear of getting beat up :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

Thank you for a well worded & thoughtful reply Boba. It really is appreciated. It does open a few cans of worms though especially the comments about no Soul being made now. I'm sure as a resident of Chicago you will know that a hell of a lot of Soulful House music hails from your fine City, now if that ain't soulful I don't know what is.

I know that, my whole point was that they have they aren't calling it "soul music" or even "soulful house" here. Nobody as part of the different scenes here (steppers, house, etc.) is grasping for the word "soul", they're just making music as part of their scene. I don't expect anyone as part of the EMS forum to really care about Eli, as I also noted in my post, apples and oranges.

Social source share

Been to see both Sharon Jones and Eli Reed recently, and Eli was the better live act. SJ is a great singer, but her live act is very showy with dancing and audience participation, whereas Eli just gets on with it and puts all of his energy into his singing. He is diefinately better than James Hunter live, saw them on the same show at the Soho arts Theatre and JH was couldn't follow Eli's smokon' performance. On the recorded front the new Eli album is a smoother production than his first, and SJ is very consistent across all of her albums.

Social source share

Well cany fault that come back, your dead lucky in being able to see these guys in the flesh, and I stand corrected, hope I get the chance to check all of the above north of Watford, but Tim all I have to go on is that vid of Elli, where as I''ve seen loads of live clips of all the other Guys, doing there thin g in a way that just doesnt come across in the Elli vid.

Social source share

Guest woznotwos

Sorry but it's just another case of Duffy, Winehouse et al for me, yes the man's got some talent, good voice, can play well but for me it's just a pastiche of 'old' music.

I really don't see the point especially playing his records at dos when you've got thousands of the real thing to play, i can sort of understand seeing him live for a half decent night out i s'pose.

Simon

I agree mate , just doesnt sound like that raw soulful stuff of the 60,s and early 70's , im living in the past music wise and i love it!! thats what i buy into with every purchase . But modern soul never did it for me anyway .

Social source share

Guest Paul

I agree mate , just doesnt sound like that raw soulful stuff of the 60,s and early 70's , im living in the past music wise and i love it!! thats what i buy into with every purchase . But modern soul never did it for me anyway .

Hello

You might prefer Eli's last album Roll With You because it's more in the vintage Stax groove and some of the songs are great - especially 'It's Easier', 'Fooling Myself', 'Am I Wasting My Time' and 'Take My Love With You'.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Sorry but I kinda like my 2010 Soul music to sound like err 2010 Soul music & this certainly don't fit the bill IMO.

More like a 'male Duffy wanabee' to me. Not slagging the Paperboy chappie by that statement as it's quite a nice pop record with a catchy fashionable retro beat but new Soul music it ain't im afraid.

Will be interesting to see how many folks who are saying they like it now still will in 12 months time. Remember the Duffy, Whinehouse, Stone (actually quite like Joss Stone though) syndrome?

Might I suggest if you want some REAL 2010 Soul music you could do worse than check out the Soul Unsigned 2010 compilation album on the link below.

It contains a bit of everything from midtempo & uptempo grooves & a couple of rather nice Boogie tracks (1&2). Also a nice retro sounding track if that's your thing (Soopasoul - Do Me Wrong).

Worst thing though is the Paperboy will probably make more cash from his pop record than the entire artist list on the 2010 album. Don't begrudge him a penny but would like the folks who make 'real Soul music' to earn a few quid unlike in the past. Sure as fans of Soul music you'd ALL agree with thatyes.gif

https://www.soulunsig...rds/sudj002.htm

track two very nice

Social source share

Guest Paul

I have just one question, why's he called 'Paperboy'?

Hello Pete,

Eli was given his grandfather's hat when he died. It was a flat cap, the type associated with "newsboys" in the USA. He wore it so much that his friends called him "paperboy" and the name stuck.

Paul

Social source share

Hello Pete,

Eli was given his grandfather's hat when he died. It was a flat cap, the type associated with "newsboys" in the USA. He wore it so much that his friends called him "paperboy" and the name stuck.

Paul

Ah I see, thanks.

I thought he may be supplementing his current job. :thumbsup:

Social source share

What I'm saying is we are (and have been) part of the greatest underground dance music scene ever. We are flattered when these imitation 'tribute' pop records appear but shouldn't take 'em too seriously should we? Of course we shouldn't.

There's a lot of these imitation records around at the moment, Sharon Jones is having success in the states and elsewhere, we all know what that means loads more imitators, most will fail, next we think these failed records are the bees knees. Happended before that's why we have northern/rare soul, failed Motown/Philly imitators back in the 60's & 70's, look on it as a good thing.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Sorry but I kinda like my 2010 Soul music to sound like err 2010 Soul music & this certainly don't fit the bill IMO.

More like a 'male Duffy wanabee' to me. Not slagging the Paperboy chappie by that statement as it's quite a nice pop record with a catchy fashionable retro beat but new Soul music it ain't im afraid.

Will be interesting to see how many folks who are saying they like it now still will in 12 months time. Remember the Duffy, Whinehouse, Stone (actually quite like Joss Stone though) syndrome?

Might I suggest if you want some REAL 2010 Soul music you could do worse than check out the Soul Unsigned 2010 compilation album on the link below.

It contains a bit of everything from midtempo & uptempo grooves & a couple of rather nice Boogie tracks (1&2). Also a nice retro sounding track if that's your thing (Soopasoul - Do Me Wrong).

Worst thing though is the Paperboy will probably make more cash from his pop record than the entire artist list on the 2010 album. Don't begrudge him a penny but would like the folks who make 'real Soul music' to earn a few quid unlike in the past. Sure as fans of Soul music you'd ALL agree with that:yes:

https://www.soulunsig...rds/sudj002.htm

Hello Cunnie,

You're entitled not to like it but nobody said it was "new soul", it's accepted as being a throwback sound. And I think people will like it in 12 months time because Eli's last album Roll With You is more than two years old now and thousands of people still like it. It sold very well.

Eli's fan base has grown over six years so he's certainly not cashing in on the success of Duffy or Amy or whoever. He's also a passionate real soul fan himself, just like most of us on this forum.

I also disagree with your implication that Eli's music isn't "real soul", unlike the music on the Soul Unsigned album. No disrespect but I honestly think some of the artists on that album are unsigned for a reason.

Ironically, some of the tracks are also quite "retro" so why can't Eli's "retro" sound qualify as "real soul"???

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Not that it matters really... but if anyone might be interested in where he "comes from", Eli guested the Galactic Fractures radio show back in December 2006 and you can still download the podcast from this site:

https://www.galacticfractures.com/?p=34

Here's what he played:

Jo Jo and The Outcast - Whole Lotta Woman (Soundorific)

Little Mack Simmons - Givin Me A Hard Time (Dud Sound)

Junior Wells - Up In Heah (Bright Star)

Willie Harper - But I Couldnt (Alon)

Lester Young - I've Got The Right (Old Town)

Johnny Little John and Guitar - Kitty O (Margaret)

Sonny Green - Jodys On The Run (Hill)

Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You (Jerhart)

Ricky Allen - Cut You A Loose (Age)

Cathy Lynn - Dollars and Cents (Heart & Soul)

Mable John - Dont Hit Me No More (Stax)

The Kelly Brothers - I'd Rather Have You (Sims)

The Raelettes - I'm Gettin Long Alright (tangerine)

Bobby Powell - Done Got Over (Whit)

Arthur K Adams - Gimmie Some Of Your Lovin (Modern)

Eddie Ray - I Stand Accused (Prix)

OV Wright - Treasured Moments (Backbeat)

Jimmy Delphis - Don't Sign The Paper Baby (Karen)

Johnny Adams - You Gonna (Modern)

Johnny Daye - A Lot Of Progress (Parkway)

Betty Adams - Make It Real (Notes Of Gold)

Betty Bibbs - First Come First Served (GeNeva)

Eddie Burns - Messing With My Bread (Harvey)

Gene Evans - Keep On Keeping On (Golden Beam)

Walter Hamilton - Nobody But Me (HiQ)

Ohio Untouchables - I'm Tired (LuPine)

Paul Kelly - Stealing In The Name Of The Lord (Happy Tiger)

Lattimore Brown - Sweet Desiree (Renegade)

Mitty Collier - I'd Like To Change Places (Entrance)

Bob and Earl - Deep Down Inside (Tempe)

Bobby Slone - Hoodoo Man (DreaM)

Frank Frost - My Back Scratcher (Jewel)

Arlene Brown - I'm A Streaker (Dud Sound)

Fenton Robinson - Cryin The Blues (PM)

JL Smith - Did You Do The Mosquito (FM)

Ray Charles - I Can Make It Through The Days (tangerine)

Virgil Griffin and Rhythm Kings - If You Can't Go Don't (Reginald)

Chris Jones - I'm The Man (Goodie Train)

Jeb Stuart - Soul Jerk It Baby (King)

Johnny Adams - A Man Will Shed A Few Tears Too (Pacemaker)

Frank Lynch - Young Girl (My Records)

Binky Griptite - Stone Soul Christmas (Daptone)

A great show! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not that it matters really... but if anyone might be interested in where he "comes from", Eli guested the Galactic Fractures radio show back in December 2006 and you can still download the podcast from this site:

https://www.galacticfractures.com/?p=34

Here's what he played:

Jo Jo and The Outcast - Whole Lotta Woman (Soundorific)

Little Mack Simmons - Givin Me A Hard Time (Dud Sound)

Junior Wells - Up In Heah (Bright Star)

Willie Harper - But I Couldnt (Alon)

Lester Young - I've Got The Right (Old Town)

Johnny Little John and Guitar - Kitty O (Margaret)

Sonny Green - Jodys On The Run (Hill)

Jimmy Robins - I Can't Please You (Jerhart)

Ricky Allen - Cut You A Loose (Age)

Cathy Lynn - Dollars and Cents (Heart & Soul)

Mable John - Dont Hit Me No More (Stax)

The Kelly Brothers - I'd Rather Have You (Sims)

The Raelettes - I'm Gettin Long Alright (tangerine)

Bobby Powell - Done Got Over (Whit)

Arthur K Adams - Gimmie Some Of Your Lovin (Modern)

Eddie Ray - I Stand Accused (Prix)

OV Wright - Treasured Moments (Backbeat)

Jimmy Delphis - Don't Sign The Paper Baby (Karen)

Johnny Adams - You Gonna (Modern)

Johnny Daye - A Lot Of Progress (Parkway)

Betty Adams - Make It Real (Notes Of Gold)

Betty Bibbs - First Come First Served (GeNeva)

Eddie Burns - Messing With My Bread (Harvey)

Gene Evans - Keep On Keeping On (Golden Beam)

Walter Hamilton - Nobody But Me (HiQ)

Ohio Untouchables - I'm Tired (LuPine)

Paul Kelly - Stealing In The Name Of The Lord (Happy Tiger)

Lattimore Brown - Sweet Desiree (Renegade)

Mitty Collier - I'd Like To Change Places (Entrance)

Bob and Earl - Deep Down Inside (Tempe)

Bobby Slone - Hoodoo Man (DreaM)

Frank Frost - My Back Scratcher (Jewel)

Arlene Brown - I'm A Streaker (Dud Sound)

Fenton Robinson - Cryin The Blues (PM)

JL Smith - Did You Do The Mosquito (FM)

Ray Charles - I Can Make It Through The Days (tangerine)

Virgil Griffin and Rhythm Kings - If You Can't Go Don't (Reginald)

Chris Jones - I'm The Man (Goodie Train)

Jeb Stuart - Soul Jerk It Baby (King)

Johnny Adams - A Man Will Shed A Few Tears Too (Pacemaker)

Frank Lynch - Young Girl (My Records)

Binky Griptite - Stone Soul Christmas (Daptone)

A great show! thumbsup.gif

And someone has probably said this already, but the "young girl" track on his album is a version of Frank Lynch..

Social source share

Well well, seems like the Paperboy has stirred all sorts of emotion! My original post was only meant to explore how well known he was. I was just impressed to come across a young unassuming artist who favours a soulful style that sounded right in the groove of my 60's taste. It was great to hear something on the local radio on the road to work other than the obvious (but still classy) Motown numbers, 3 Degrees, Edwin Starr (God bless him) and even Dobie Gray's "Drift Away" amongst others.

Given the fact that our scene, regardless of what specific type of soul you're into is constantly evolving I'm glad so see and hear there's someone current who is clearly influenced by the real thing (check the play list in the earler post) that may be able to influence a whole new generation to take a look at the vast array of quality soul that exists off the beaten track.

I for one will pick up his album, probably the last one as well, just before I pick up some tickets to see him live.

Thanks for all the replies, many interesting reads that generally suggest he's a breath of fresh air in a dull UK chart.

Regards, Lee

Social source share

Being an "average sceptic" I would have normally by-passed the "advertising" of Eli Paperboy Reed, but am so glad I didn't (totally uninfluenced by the thread which I honestly "scanned" rather than studied)....IMHO the vocals and whole package sound spot on, and I for one wouldn't mind seeing a "live" performance, and furthermore would like to hear more ofyes.gif .......Good shout, and......respecthatsoff2.gif

Social source share

I also disagree with your implication that Eli's music isn't "real soul", unlike the music on the Soul Unsigned album. No disrespect but I honestly think some of the artists on that album are unsigned for a reason.

that's not fair, if anything, the difference is that Eli's music is pop by is own admission and the music on that comp is specifically not pop and not trying to cross over. both are soul influenced and, as I noted, I wouldn't call any music that comes out today "real soul".

Social source share

Well my twopennorth is.........................................gr8 :thumbsup:

Beats the current chart stuff 4 sure

Would I buy it, too late already done deal :lol:

Any chubby faced white boy who models his hair on Jackie Wilson's (check the vid) will do 4 me :yes:

The boy has a gr8 voice too - so whats all the fuss about which bracket to put him in

Does it really matter? C'mon why do we try n classify sounds - like it/hate it simple really

EPR yes a breath of fresh air :lol:

Social source share

Guest Ranger

It's a half decent pop record - nothing more, nothing less.

But does anyone else think that he could be Mark Kermode's secret love child :thumbsup:

Kev

Edited by Ranger
Social source share

I think you're stretching your point too far and getting a bit silly now.

He's got a great soul voice.

Silliness doesn't come into it and we're not doubting that he's got some sort of vocal ability but Gene Chandler (and thousands of our other musical heroes) he ain't. All we're saying (and I'm quoting Ranger here-thanks mate) that it's a half decent soul/motown tribute POP record -no more, no less.

Music is just another art form. No good music, no bad music. It's all about whatever rocks YOUR boat!

Edited by Stuart Bower
Social source share

Just a thought if it were thirty years ago and EPR was black would it still be pop ? we would have been falling over ourselves to buy it smile.gif

If EPR was black? :cheese1: We went out and bought stuff by, for example, Dean Parrish, R Dean Taylor, Kiki Dee and loads of other artists at the time didn't we? They were white by the way.

But enough of that, the stuff that's happening now is called modern soul. It's called modern soul for a reason.

Like Alan Randall and his love for George Formby's music, EPR is a tribute act and should be treated as such. Now enough of this fluff. That's my last word on this subject. I'm off to listen to some real music.

Edited by Stuart Bower
Social source share

If EPR was black? laugh.gif We went out and bought stuff by, for example, Dean Parrish, R Dean Taylor, Kiki Dee and loads of other artists at the time didn't we? They were white by the way.

But enough of that, the stuff that's happening now is called modern soul. It's called modern soul for a reason.

Like Alan Randall and his love for George Formby's music, EPR is a tribute act and should be treated as such. Now enough of this fluff. That's my last word on this subject. I'm off to listen to some real music.

Modern soul yep I get your point a lot of thirty year old modern soul is really modern . now if your talking Nu Soul that really is a piss poor imitation of soul music .

Dean Parish is a whiteyohmy.gif

Social source share

Guest Paul

that's not fair, if anything, the difference is that Eli's music is pop by is own admission and the music on that comp is specifically not pop and not trying to cross over. both are soul influenced and, as I noted, I wouldn't call any music that comes out today "real soul".

Hello Bob,

I didn't say they were trying to cross over, I said some may be unsigned for a reason.

And the reason may be that too many new soul tracks are very samey and derivitive. No matter how talented someone may be, there's no point making a track that sounds like thousands of others.

It's almost impossible for a new artist to make a significant impact unless they do something slightly different or have a distinctive sound. It's a "competitive advantage" that all artists and producers need if they want to stand out.

I've said this many times before but I also feel there's been a huge gradual decline in the art of songwriting and arranging. Sadly, some very good artists suffer by having poor material.

I was first attracted to Eli's dynamic voice in 2004. By 2007 he'd developed to a point where his own material was very strong and of course he'd assembled a fantastic band. It's the voice, the songs and the band that give him three competitive advantages.

That's how I see it.

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Guest SCOOBY

He was live on "live from Daryl Halls house" a few months ago, I'll see if it's still up.

Yes it is - this should link it up

https://www.livefromd...x.php?page=ep27

Enjoy the show!

Being a fan of sweet soulmusic I quite like "pick a number" even though the melody is a a bit of a rip off of "Have You Seen Her" (as mentioned).

I do believe that somebody needs to make this type of music today because of the sheer quality of todays sound systems.

thumbsup.gif Eli gets the thumbs up from me!

cheers for the link bin lookin for this since his jools holland spot buzzin show.now got 26 more episodes to get through.food looked good too

Social source share

Guest Simon

Just a thought if it were thirty years ago and EPR was black would it still be pop ? we would have been falling over ourselves to buy it smile.gif

It couldn't have been made 30 years ago, this record could only have been made now because of the past 30 years, the key is in it's homogenization of old music.

A bit like some of the American wine firms trying to make wine that tastes like a 30 year old Bordeaux, it tastes similar but you just instinctively know it's not the real deal.

Simon

Social source share

Some great solid rhythm & blues 45s in that set, he is obviously as into great and obscure 45s as the rest of us thumbsup.gif

yeah, he posts on some of the record boards from time to time, seems cool. He's a fan of soul & has a good band which is getting some major label shine. All good.

Social source share

Guest soulmanvirgin

Im trying really hard not scratch me bollocks ,yawn , and chip in something in keeping with the other miserable condescendin b88888ds on here moanin about its newness bein a rip off of somethin older or tryin to do somethin ,s bin done already. I like it , his voice the changin tempo , its a happy tune. If i hadnt been to a venue in thirty years ,id pick this out and enjoy it, instead of picking petty holes in its authenticity or originality. C****.!

Totally agree with your commentss

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert