Canadian Revilot

How common is this one?

Darrell Banks - Our Love (Is In The Pocket)/Open The Door To Your Heart (Revilot 201)

It's on Canadian Revilot on a vinyl press.

Distributed by London Records along the bottom of the label.

Plus, which other Revilots came out on Canadian Revilot?

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-12739637421666_thumb.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

How common is this one?

Darrell Banks - Our Love (Is In The Pocket)/Open The Door To Your Heart (Revilot 201)

Cheers

Richard

Wow!

Richard, you done it again, not seen that before!

Social source share

Wow!

Richard, you done it again, not seen that before! is the ZTSC stamped?

Hi Tony - the ZTSC number is scratched in not stamped and it's on vinyl rather than styrene.

STRANGE ONE, WAS IT ALSO RELEASED ON CANADIAN QUALITY g.gif

BRI PINCH

Hi Bri - Yes, it was released on Canadian Quality (see eBay scan below) which does make it a bit of a strange one I agree.

Don't recall seeing it myself before and as it has the Canadian text along the bottom of the label I'm assuming it's an original rather than some sort of Repro.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-12740065388074_thumb.jpg

Social source share

How common is this one?

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard

Nice that is Mate.

Social source share

I lived in Canada for over 20 years and, while I don't profess to have seen or found everything that came out there, can't understand why a label would do a deal for release and then put it out on their own imprint. From what I can gather, most Detroit stuff from Ric Tic / Golden World came out on Reo or Quality. The script looks contrived. Too pristine. No - deffo a boot.

Social source share

I lived in Canada for over 20 years and, while I don't profess to have seen or found everything that came out there, can't understand why a label would do a deal for release and then put it out on their own imprint. From what I can gather, most Detroit stuff from Ric Tic / Golden World came out on Reo or Quality. The script looks contrived. Too pristine. No - deffo a boot.

Hi Rob - interesting stuff this.

I have been asking around and have an open mind on whether this is legit or some kind of repro.

First thing that strikes me is why bootleg it as a Canadian copy? And then if it was booted, why isn't it seen around more? So far nobody I have asked has seen this before.

Regading the text, I agree it looks a bit non-standard but (for instance) some of the red and blue USA Ric-Tics had different copies with different prints some of which look similar.

Just an observation about about Ric-Tic/Golden World releases in Canada - as well as the Reo/Quality 45s there are several Canadian Ric-Tics that I have (dark red label with silver print) which were also London distributed.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest alanbonthrone

Is This One ? Currently On "Musicstack" Item No. DA 1069. Revilot 201 Rare Canadian First Pressing. £66.99.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm going with 'not a bootleg'.

I think it's more likely to have been a similar situation to the one one that caused OTDTYH to come out here, briefly, on London before being quickly withdrawn to make way for a Stateside release. Maybe the contract wasn't valid, maybe Lebaron Taylor threw a wobbler and took his record elsewhere, who knows.

But looking at that scan and comparing it to plenty of other Canuck pressings in my collection I can't see anything there that would raise even the slightest suspicion of bootlegging. Sorry, Rob...

Social source share

I think it's more likely to have been a similar situation to the one one that caused OTDTYH to come out here, briefly, on London before being quickly withdrawn to make way for a Stateside release. Maybe the contract wasn't valid, maybe Lebaron Taylor threw a wobbler and took his record elsewhere, who knows.

Glad I'm not the only one who had that same thought!thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

A big thanks for all the comments on this one guys - really interesting stuff and much appreciated thumbsup.gif

I also got some really useful feedback from Canada and from a number of well-known Detroit collectors - with a mix of views on this one. The only thing that everyone I spoke to agreed on is that they hadn't seen it before.

I think the majority view was that it is probably an original issue and most likely a legit forerunner to the later deal with Quality Records in Canada - in much the same way as the London deal went for the UK release.

I'm very grateful especially to John Manship for looking at this one for me. John was guesting on Dean Anderson's Northern Soul radio show here in Newark during the week, and so as a local lad I was able to pop down with the 45.

John's view, with the 45 in hand and looking at the paper/vinyl etc., was that it is a definite 60s original - which is good enough for me - and obviously I'm pretty chuffed with that biggrin.gif

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

A big thanks for all the comments on this one guys - really interesting stuff and much appreciated thumbsup.gif

I also got some really useful feedback from Canada and from a number of well-known Detroit collectors - with a mix of views on this one. The only thing that everyone I spoke to agreed on is that they hadn't seen it before.

I think the majority view was that it is probably an original issue and most likely a legit forerunner to the later deal with Quality Records in Canada - in much the same way as the London deal went for the UK release.

I'm very grateful especially to John Manship for looking at this one for me. John was guesting on Dean Anderson's Northern Soul radio show here in Newark during the week, and so as a local lad I was able to pop down with the 45.

John's view, with the 45 in hand and looking at the paper/vinyl etc., was that it is a definite 60s original - which is good enough for me - and obviously I'm pretty chuffed with that biggrin.gif

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard

Pleased for you Mate, nice one.

Social source share

How common is this one?

Cheers

Richard

Nice one Richard, just one facet of the fascinating aspects of record collecting, in particular with respect in this instance from a Detroit perspective, and moreover on this occasion from a personal view collecting wise.......I humbly concede that I will never know nearly enough about the "mystery" of the "Northern" vinyl "bug" but I'm sure as "eggs is eggs" I'll never tire of learning.....hatsoff2.gif

Social source share

• 3 years later...

More info about "Compo in Cornwall"

"The Compo plant in Cornwall, Ontario (corporate name changed after 1970 to MCA Records [ Canada ] ) handled London through the mid-1960's up to about the plant's closure in 1976. Compo pressings were identified specifically, if nothing else, by the typesetting on the label - all from Varitype."

Russ

Edited by Russ29
Social source share

More info about "Compo in Cornwall"

"The Compo plant in Cornwall, Ontario (corporate name changed after 1970 to MCA Records [ Canada ] ) handled London through the mid-1960's up to about the plant's closure in 1976. Compo pressings were identified specifically, if nothing else, by the typesetting on the label - all from Varitype."

Russ

So I guess this is more evidence that it is likely to be an original.

I thought it was a joke about "Last of the Summer Wine", Compo and Cornwall in England meaning somehow it was a bootleg. Couldn't figure that out as the programme was filmed in Holmfirth  :yes: 

What is varitype typesetting and how can I tell it apart from something else?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

But looking at that scan and comparing it to plenty of other Canuck pressings in my collection I can't see anything there that would raise even the slightest suspicion of bootlegging. Sorry, Rob...

I agree with this.  That looks like a good Canadian issue to me.  I've seen many London-distributed issues with that font style, and similar label design.  Can't say that I can think of a similar situation of a change of lease/distribution rights during a records first run in Canada.  But there were many instances of that in USA.  I bet on it being legit.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

How common is this one?

Cheers

Richard

Very impressive :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert