Shirley Brown Stax Uk Only 45

• Replies 22
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Shirley Brown - I Can't Give You Up. I have it on a Stax UK Demo. As far as I can tell it is a UK only 45 although it is on the Woman To Woman LP. What a cracking dance track. I've not seen it advertised for sale. Has it had plays at venues?

Sean Hampsey spin. Think it has a US release on 45 as well.

Social source share

Here's my Brazillian that plays at 33 1/3 !!

Ah! Nice!

When I said 'UK Only' I obviously meant 'No US 45'.

The other side (Topside) on the UK copy is the gorgeous "It Ain't No Fun".

The flip of "It Ain't No Fun" on the US Truth label 45 is "I've Got To Go On Without You" - Truth 3223.

I bought the "Woman To Woman" LP and the UK Stax 45's that came from it as new releases and always rated "I Can't Give You Up".

The other 'Killer' dancer from Shirley during this period was "Yes Sir Brother" - Not featured on the album, but can be found on the flip of the "Woman To woman" 45 (Uk & US).

Check them all out!

Quality Real Soul Music.

:yes:

Sean

Social source share

Ah! Nice!

When I said 'UK Only' I obviously meant 'No US 45'.

The other side (Topside) on the UK copy is the gorgeous "It Ain't No Fun".

The flip of "It Ain't No Fun" on the US Truth label 45 is "I've Got To Go On Without You" - Truth 3223.

I bought the "Woman To Woman" LP and the UK Stax 45's that came from it as new releases and always rated "I Can't Give You Up".

The other 'Killer' dancer from Shirley during this period was "Yes Sir Brother" - Not featured on the album, but can be found on the flip of the "Woman To woman" 45 (Uk & US).

Check them all out!

Quality Real Soul Music.

:yes:

Sean

Agreed Sean - just dug out my old UK album - great stuff - "I've Got To Go On Without You" just playing!! Can even put up with 'Stay With Me Baby' (I'm in the Godin camp on that one smile.gif) ......and "Yes Sir Brother" is a 'killer'. Mike

Social source share

I think all or her stax stuff is fantastic with the rest of her work overshaddowed by woman to woman, awsome though it is. I also feel that she's suffered a simlar fate as Eddie Floyd where generally she was not held in high regard as in the likes of Mavis and Carla, possibly due to the size or her output compared to theirs.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I think all or her stax stuff is fantastic with the rest of her work overshaddowed by woman to woman, awsome though it is. I also feel that she's suffered a simlar fate as Eddie Floyd where genberally she was not held in high regard as in the likes of Mavis and Carla

Wow! I've never thought that John.

When Shirley Brown hit the scene she was immediately put on a pedestal - and has never left it for me!

Her later Stax LP "For The Real Feeling" in 79 also had some great moments. I used to hammer "Crowding In On My Mind" (LP & 45) at Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes, but I must admit, it's been overlooked for most of the past 30 years.

The Arista LP from '77 is also a MUST buy, if only for "When You Really Love Somebody" which is absolutely sublime.

Not to mention her SoundTown and Malaco albums which will still yield a few gems!

I've always thought she was waaaaaaaaay up there, with Mavis & Carla, and anyone else for that matter!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Paul

I think all or her stax stuff is fantastic with the rest of her work overshaddowed by woman to woman, awsome though it is. I also feel that she's suffered a simlar fate as Eddie Floyd where generally she was not held in high regard as in the likes of Mavis and Carla, possibly due to the size or her output compared to theirs.

That sums it up, John

The brilliant 'Yes Sir Brother' (one of my all-time favourites and testimony to the talents of Al Jackson Jr) was heavily overlooked because it was on the flip side of 'Woman To Woman'.

'It Ain't No Fun' was probably her best performance from that period, and one of Frederick Knight's best songs, but I've always loved 'Yes Sir Brother' and 'I Can't Give You Up' (another Frederick Knight song) just as much.

I couldn't understand the lack of interest in these tracks (especially after the huge success of 'Woman To Woman') and it didn't help Shirley's career that Stax was having big problems at the time. I think timing was against her.

When she switched labels, I raved over all her new Arista 45s as new releases (in Black Echoes) but I remember being told that sales were dreadful. It's fair to say that Arista wasn't serious about soul music at that time.

Best wishes,

Paul

post-3850-12740345058373_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Wow! I've never thought that John.

When Shirley Brown hit the scene she was immediately put on a pedestal - and has never left it for me!

Her later Stax LP "For The Real Feeling" in 79 also had some great moments. I used to hammer "Crowding In On My Mind" (LP & 45) at Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes, but I must admit, it's been overlooked for most of the past 30 years.

The Arista LP from '77 is also a MUST buy, if only for "When You Really Love Somebody" which is absolutely sublime.

Not to mention her SoundTown and Malaco albums which will still yield a few gems!

I've always thought she was waaaaaaaaay up there, with Mavis & Carla, and anyone else for that matter!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

It may have something to do with my age (I was 7 in 1974 wink.gif ) and was too young to have heard/appreciated her output on inital release. It maybe my memory going, but when I started to listen to soul on the radio, Wounded Woman always comes to mind as compared to her other stuff. It wasn't until I started digging deeper that her other Stax and Arista stuff came to my attenion, rather being lead by radio DJ plays.

As you said, its been as long time since I heard anything from her 2nd Stax LP and i personally rate her Timeless Malaco LP too.

Social source share

It may have something to do with my age (I was 7 in 1974 wink.gif ) and was too young to have heard/appreciated her output on inital release. It maybe my memory going, but when I started to listen to soul on the radio, Wounded Woman always comes to mind as compared to her other stuff. It wasn't until I started digging deeper that her other Stax and Arista stuff came to my attenion, rather being lead by radio DJ plays.

As you said, its been as long time since I heard anything from her 2nd Stax LP and i personally rate her Timeless Malaco LP too.

You mean "Woman To Woman" mate, surely?

She's had 9 or 10 Malaco albums John, so think I was a bit surprised to see you mention her breadth of output... and the recognition (or lack of it).

She was only with Arista 5 minutes, and her Stax output was minimal, but she's enjoyed a prolific career at Malaco, consistently turning out quality, contemporary Soul Music - even though none of it quite comes close to those early years (she also recorded on Abet, incidentally, prior to Stax, with the 45 sneaking out over here on Contempo as a result of her Stax success at the time).

If the Radio DJ's, you're referring to, don't acknowledge such a talent then they need to get with the programme!

Too busy trying to be trendy and missing out on real quality :)

It's a travesty that such an artist is not given the props she deserves, if that is the case.

Sean

Social source share

You mean "Woman To Woman" mate, surely?

She's had 9 or 10 Malaco albums John, so think I was a bit surprised to see you mention her breadth of output... and the recognition (or lack of it).

She was only with Arista 5 minutes, and her Stax output was minimal, but she's enjoyed a prolific career at Malaco, consistently turning out quality, contemporary Soul Music - even though none of it quite comes close to those early years (she also recorded on Abet, incidentally, prior to Stax, with the 45 sneaking out over here on Contempo as a result of her Stax success at the time).

If the Radio DJ's, you're referring to, don't acknowledge such a talent then they need to get with the programme!

Too busy trying to be trendy and missing out on real quality angry.gif

It's a travesty that such an artist is not given the props she deserves, if that is the case.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Wounded Woman, I'm such an ar*e. Yep, ment Woman To Womanblush.gif . Just came back from a work team building weekend in Dorset, so my eyes are still crossed blink.gif and my mind's not as sharp as it should be.

I agree her Malaco stuff is a fine and sizable back catelogue and I should have been clearer when when talking about her small output, I was primarily refering to the Stax stuff and the period from about 83 to 89, that I don't remember a lot of airtime for her other recordings (well not in London).

I would love to see the 2nd Stax & Arista LP's get more of an airing, but I'm very cynical these days. Most of it is cheap and easily availiable and what prestige does that give to a DJ other than playing "bloody good" soul.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

I would love to see the 2nd Stax & Arista LP's get more of an airing, but I'm very cynical these days. Most of it is cheap and easily availiable and what prestige does that give to a DJ other than playing "bloody good" soul.

That's the only way I measure a Soul Music DJ John (and I'm pretty sure you do too).

I guess there's only a handful in the entire UK who actually cut the mustard in that department.

See how many 'DJ's' pick up on this thread and start playing "I Can't Give You Up" or "Yes Sir Brother" in their sets.

In the main, they won't... (I call it FEAR! :lol:) but our conversation, and the ensuing bumps, on here will be worth it, if another one of em does!

:)

Sean

Social source share

Guest Paul

That's the only way I measure a Soul Music DJ John (and I'm pretty sure you do too).

I guess there's only a handful in the entire UK who actually cut the mustard in that department.

See how many 'DJ's' pick up on this thread and start playing "I Can't Give You Up" or "Yes Sir Brother" in their sets.

tumbleweed3.gif

In the main, they won't... (I call it FEAR! ph34r.gif) but our conversation, and the ensuing bumps, on here will be worth it, if another one of em does!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Agreed, it's always been the only way.

I'm told there's a pretty good Disc Jockey in the South Yorks area who has the confidence to play good soul records regardless of their rarity.

I can't think of his name but he sounds like a bit of a rebel.

rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Agreed, it's always been the only way.

I'm told there's a pretty good Disc Jockey in the South Yorks area who has the confidence to play good soul records regardless of their rarity.

I can't think of his name but he sounds like a bit of a rebel.

rolleyes.gif

Ahaha!

It's probably in the DNA, Paul :)

Sean

Social source share

Guest Paul

If only there was somewhere that plays this kind of stuff eh:wink:

Oh - I just remembered, there is - isn't there:yes:

Yes, if only someone knew of such a place [iNSERT FREE ADVERT HERE] where a rebellious bunch of like-minded young DJs play good soul music.

Did I say "young"? ...sorry, I meant "cheap".

Cheap music for cheap people, that's what we want.

:laugh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert