Larry Clinton ...issue...wtf ?

• Replies 46
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest chorleybloke

Steve Smith had one back in the 80's...I thought it went to Carl Fortnum but he 'only' has a WD...no idea who has it now.

Steve's copy was also autographed by Eddie Holman as I recall.

RARE.

hatsoff2.gif

Kev Murphy's the only bloke I know who has one, told me years ago that its the copy Richard Searling played at Wigan. First time listed anywhere to my knowledge and I want itlaugh.gif

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

The one i had was a demo Dave, but the issue was first? seen at Yarmouth when the Four Tops were on, brought over by an American dealer(forgot the name) i think Ian Clark bought it then (but not certain) i actually held it!!ohmy.gif

Steve

im sure it was Gary Spencer that bought it originally thumbsup.gif and i thought i came form Eddie Holman himself Carl Fortnum will confirmthumbsup.gif

I bought a demo of Clarkie back in the 80's for £160 when i got it it was warped slightly i called him to have a moan he said send it back and i will send you another he had 3 copies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

I saw one at Lowton when I DJ'd there ages ago with Jo W, didn't realise it was such a rarity (ignorance is bliss!)

What makes me chuckle about these auctions are the people who put the first bid in; the first bidder bid $50, like he's going to ge it for that. :thumbsup:no.gif

Social source share

The one i had was a demo Dave, but the issue was first? seen at Yarmouth when the Four Tops were on, brought over by an American dealer(forgot the name) i think Ian Clark bought it then (but not certain) i actually held it!!ohmy.gif

Steve

Eddie Holman "Found" a White demo-which he brought to Yarmouth to sell -I think he got £180 to £220 for it-pretty well worn VG ish or I'd have bought it !!

I think Teds right wioth Gary Spencer having the issue

George Sharp also owned one briefly in the early 80s-although may be one of the same copies floating around-no more than 5 in the UK at tops I'd say

An all-time want of mine on issue-silly money for this when the big guns get involved!!ph34r.gif $5,000 + ?

Rob

Social source share

Guest Dante

Eddie Holman "Found" a White demo-which he brought to Yarmouth to sell -I think he got £180 to £220 for it-pretty well worn VG ish or I'd have bought it !!

George Sharp also owned one briefly in the early 80s-although may be one of the same copies floating around-no more than 5 in the UK at tops I'd say

An all-time want of mine on issue-silly money for this when the big guns get involved!!ph34r.gif $5,000 + ?

Rob

I'd say more than that, Rob. How much is a demo nowadays?

Social source share

Rob

First demo i saw for sale, was dave raistricks for the princley sum of £115 in the record bar at w/c, only had £90 with me sad.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Ronnie Pedley's got one. Thought Ronnie had the only though.

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share

WAS AT THE GRIFFIN HOTEL A DOZEN YEARS OR SO AGO, AND LITTLE GARY FIELDS FROM LEEDS BROUGHT FOUR RECORDS WITH HIM TO BROKER A DEAL WITH STEVE CHADWICK AND US PINCHER LADS. IN THOSE RECORDS WERE A RED DYNAMO ISSUE OF LARRY CLINTON, A TRENELLS, BLESSED WITH A LOVE ON FLO JO AND A TRUE IMAGE ON SUPER SMASH. WAS SURE AT THE TIME THESE CAME FROM GARY SPENCER OR CARL FORTNUM. WE ENDED UP WITH THE CHEAPIE WHICH WAS THE ADMIRATIONS ON PEACHES, WHICH AM SURE WAS CARLS OLD COPY. CHADDIE OF COURSE TOOK THE OTHER THREE.

BRI PINCH

Social source share

Kev Murphy's the only bloke I know who has one, told me years ago that its the copy Richard Searling played at Wigan. First time listed anywhere to my knowledge and I want itlaugh.gif

Cheers

Pete

I can't believe I didn't notice that Richard's copy was a issue.

What a dopey c**t I was back than, the amount of times me and Ian Gillabrand was with him when he was DJing at the back end of Wigan.

So Pete's copy was not the 1st I've seen, it just seams that way.laugh.gif

Dave.

Social source share

WAS AT THE GRIFFIN HOTEL A DOZEN YEARS OR SO AGO, AND LITTLE GARY FIELDS FROM LEEDS BROUGHT FOUR RECORDS WITH HIM TO BROKER A DEAL WITH STEVE CHADWICK AND US PINCHER LADS. IN THOSE RECORDS WERE A RED DYNAMO ISSUE OF LARRY CLINTON, A TRENELLS, BLESSED WITH A LOVE ON FLO JO AND A TRUE IMAGE ON SUPER SMASH. WAS SURE AT THE TIME THESE CAME FROM GARY SPENCER OR CARL FORTNUM. WE ENDED UP WITH THE CHEAPIE WHICH WAS THE ADMIRATIONS ON PEACHES, WHICH AM SURE WAS CARLS OLD COPY. CHADDIE OF COURSE TOOK THE OTHER THREE.

BRI PINCH

Shit I forgot about that deal as well. (less of the little me and Gary are both as tall as each otherlaugh.gif )

Anybody heard what Steve is up to now after his incident?whistling.gif

Dave.

Social source share

Not unless he`s bought one since i was talking to him this morning about this coming up for sale jock, he was gobsmacked on the phone one of his all time wantsthumbsup.gif

Harry, so Ron has not got one, so that might be a surprice than.laugh.gif

Dave.

Social source share

Had both the issue and the demo in my time. Sold many moons ago but I'm not bitter... much. Can't remember where the issue went but have a feeling that Mr Fortnum bought the demo from me. My memory is not what it used to be although the princely sum of £500 sticks in my mind. I know I bought it from Jon (Anderson) for £150. The issue also came from him around the same price. Like I say though... long time ago!

Social source share

The recent provenance of the stocker )last 10 years), is, as far as I know: Chadwick, Mason, Murphy.

I also had both in my hand with an option on either for the same money. I took the W/Demo. Knew the stocker was a one off (it was then), but the Minter Demo was more for me. Far as I know Kev still has the stocker.

Cheers,

Dave

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

BRI PINCH

I was with Carl that night and remember it well........yes they were Gary Spencers.Remember stopping off a Nigel Parkers on the way up and Nige slagging off the Tranells. Thing is Chaddy already had a copy of the Trannels

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

A tired looking demo sold for $6k 2 years ago.

When I DJ'd at Lowton yonks ago Kev told me that a bloke approached him at Prestatyn (I think) with a wedge of 8000 quid in an envelope for his red issue. Kev tuned him down but chatting to him later turns out he wasn't interested in Northern Soul, he was just a rare record collector. Kinellohmy.gif

Pete

Social source share

When I DJ'd at Lowton yonks ago Kev told me that a bloke approached him at Prestatyn (I think) with a wedge of 8000 quid in an envelope for his red issue. Kev tuned him down but chatting to him later turns out he wasn't interested in Northern Soul, he was just a rare record collector. Kinellohmy.gif

Pete

Jeez i think you've finally put this into perspective Peteyes.gif

Some people actually collect records for their rarity and not for what's in the grooveohmy.gif

Why not collect paintings or stamps ....you can sit for hours admiring them ,but viny should sound better than it looksyes.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

His exact words were WHAT!!!!laugh.giflaugh.gif

You mean WTF... Jocks completely mental....dont know why i thought that, sure it was some Patterson ramblings then!

Social source share

on about collectors i was at a lads house in aycliffe on monday to do with work, his record box was on the floor as he showed me the titles i nearly passed out .must be£ 250.000. worth in maybee 200 records and this guy never goes anywere. red jimmy burns ,antellecs, all the magnetics, you just dont know what the armchair collectors have do you?,col

Social source share

on about collectors i was at a lads house in aycliffe on monday to do with work, his record box was on the floor as he showed me the titles i nearly passed out .must be£ 250.000. worth in maybee 200 records and this guy never goes anywere. red jimmy burns ,antellecs, all the magnetics, you just dont know what the armchair collectors have do you?,col

Surprised he let you use the box to reach the top course of bricks Colbiggrin.gif

p.s don't say he does'nt go anywhere ,you'll give the lad a complexsad.gif

Social source share

Guest jimmy c

sure if you ring kev he'll tell you the whole story.hollman,serling,spencer,chadwick,mason,murphy. the one kev has is the baby.He got the whole story off eddie holman.

Social source share

RE THE CLINTON RED STOCK COPIE(S) SOME YEARS AGO AT ONE OF THE YARMOUTH WEEKENDERS (COULD HAVE BEEN THE 4 TOPS EVENT) I GOT THE RED ISSUE FROM GOOD FRIEND AND VERY EXPERIENCED LOCAL PHILLY RECORD DEALER JOHN MOORE ( BASED AT FRANKFURT AVENUE,PHILLY) 6 MONTHS PRIOR TO THIS ON A STATESIDE TRIP I HOOKED UP WITH JOHN AND TALKED HIM INTO COMING OVER TO THE UK -I SAID IT COULD BE WORTH WHILE FOR HIM TO PICK SOME ODDBALL GROUP SOUL UP.ANYWAYS ON THAT TRIP WE DID A DEAL ON THE CLINTON AND NUMEROUS OTHER 45'S STRANGELY ENOUGH A RED STOCK OF CLARENCE HILL - MAINSTREAM AND RED STOCKER OF FRANKIE + CHEVRONS-YOU SHOULD'VE HELD ON ( ALL TUFF TO THIS DAY AND IN ME RACKS !) CLASSICS -YANG G IN TOTAL PROBABLY 200 RECORDS .JOHN SAID HE'D BRING EM TO YARMOUTH WHICH HE DID AND I NEARLY DROPPED THROUGH THE FLOOR WHEN I GOT THE ISSUE,INFACT I SAT AT BREAKFAST WITH IAN CLARK AND HE'D NEVER SEEN IT WE ASSUMED IT WAS THE FIRST ONE BUT OBVIOUSLY IT TRANSPIRED THAT SEARLING HAD IT WHICH IS THE ONE KEV MURPHY HAS.I KEPT IT FOR A FEW YEARS ,BUT COS I ALREADY HAD A CLEAN WHITE COPY THE RED ONE I SOLD ON COS THE CONDITION WAS A TAD WORN WHICH IMPACTED THE BALLAD SIDE WHICH I LIKE AS MUCH AS THE WANTED SIDE.IF I'M HONEST NOT 100% WHO BOUGHT IT BUT PROBABLY GARY SPENCER OR CARL F... AM INTRIGUED AS TO HOW MANY DEFINATE COPIES THERE IS,UP TO NOW I ASSUMED THEY WERE THE ONLY COUPLE .. BUT OBVIOUSLY THE ODD ONES MUST BE AROUND AS DISCUSSED EARLIER... CERTAINLY A RARE RECORD IF MEMORY SERVES ME RIGHT SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ENDING AND SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY ON THE RED ONE'S ....

HOPE THIS HELPS.

Social source share

Hi Guys

A good friend of mine Carl Jones who resides in the leafy suburbs of Wolverhampton owns a red stock copy of Larry Clinton. He bought it off Gary Smelt when he sold that clutch of heavy northern things off circa 15 years back. Carl does'nt get out and about too much these days due to work and family commitments. Yet another sleeper who has a mighty fine collection.

Dave Welding

P.S. Carl paid £600.00 for it after telling me he made me vow never to tell anyone what he paid. But I'm sure with the current valuation he won't mind.

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Kev Murphy asked me to say that when Eddie Holman came over here he told Kev that there was only ever three red issues, Kev's was Eddies own and the ownership of the disc is pretty much as mentioned earlier.

Kev was offered £8k but it was at Llandudno not Prestatyn.

Social source share

Kev Murphy asked me to say that when Eddie Holman came over here he told Kev that there was only ever three red issues, Kev's was Eddies own and the ownership of the disc is pretty much as mentioned earlier.

Kev was offered £8k but it was at Llandudno not Prestatyn

Hi Chalky what price did the issue fetch!!!!!!!!missed the final price

snooky

Edited by snooky
Social source share

Considering the rarity and quality, bargain?

Guessing at the number of copies that have surfaced even in these pan-internet-world days I guess you could say it was bargain OR there's not the amount of people willing to pay / collect at that price any more than there used to be? Peaked prices? Some would no doubt say the Andantes on JM auction would/should have fteched more than it did considering the amount of known copies.

Social source share

Surprised he let you use the box to reach the top course of bricks Colbiggrin.gif

p.s don't say he does'nt go anywhere ,you'll give the lad a complexsad.gif

the box should have been confiscatedph34r.gif health and safety dictates you cannot use any old thing as a "hop up".......... contents thrown in the skip and proper access equipment supplied....biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guessing at the number of copies that have surfaced even in these pan-internet-world days I guess you could say it was bargain OR there's not the amount of people willing to pay / collect at that price any more than there used to be? Peaked prices? Some would no doubt say the Andantes on JM auction would/should have fteched more than it did considering the amount of known copies.

Reckon we all no the price of records, like housing, has been over inflated for years, maybe they are just settling down to what they should be? Your big ticket rarities should still fetch a tidy sum. Still no logic to pricing though, use the example often for something like Gene Toones, why pay £1500 when it is for sale on a fairly regular basis, and then something like the Andantes struggles to fetch £1k more with very few known copies.

Social source share

Guest jimmy c

Agree there chalky.In this climate its all down to disposable readys pal.Like we all say "if i had the cash id have um all".

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert