Strong Love - By Spencer Davis Group

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The b side "This Hammer" is also a cover.

...It's not a cover - it's a revival. There's a big difference.

Unlike the A side, which most definitely was a cover. And a very good one at that....

A cover can only be called a cover if it comes out at the same time as, or within a matter of weeks of, the original. For example, the Moody Blues' 'Go Now' - recorded a matter of weeks after Bessie Banks' inferior original - is a cover, whereas Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' - recorded 15 years after Gloria Jones - is a revival.

Pedantic, I know, but accurate nonetheless!thumbup.gif

Social source share

Unlike the A side, which most definitely was a cover. And a very good one at that....

A cover can only be called a cover if it comes out at the same time as, or within a matter of weeks of, the original. For example, the Moody Blues' 'Go Now' - recorded a matter of weeks after Bessie Banks' inferior original - is a cover, whereas Soft Cell's 'Tainted Love' - recorded 15 years after Gloria Jones - is a revival.

OK but Bessie Banks' "inferior" original? You've surely got a case of typing dyslexia despite being the font which I readily acknowledge you are. How can Denny Laine have trumped Bessie? It's an almost note for note copy with a weaker vocal; is'nt it ??????????????

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Would the Malibus have been a mod play in the UK at all or was it just the group picking it up?

Brian Peters told me that was played at the Scene as a new release - presumably Guy Stevens guided them towards it.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Wasn't their first Fontana 45 a Duke cover ,Soul Sisters?, haven't got the relevant info at hand, but having a residency at the Twisted Wheel would've put them in contact with a lot of obscure sounds to pick from.

Yes, Tone, they did 'I Can't Stand It', too.

Again, I think the connection is Guy Stevens, rather than the Wheel. SDG were actually signed to Island even though their records came out on Fontana. I'm sure they swung by Guy's office, in the same building, every so often for a few 'ideas'!

And now I'm going to commit further sacrilege in the eyes of some on here by saying that I think their version of "Every Little Bit Hurts" is, at very least, as good as Brenda Holloway'syes.giflaugh.gif

Never judge a record by its' colour...

Social source share

Yes, Tone, they did 'I Can't Stand It', too.

Again, I think the connection is Guy Stevens, rather than the Wheel. SDG were actually signed to Island even though their records came out on Fontana. I'm sure they swung by Guy's office, in the same building, every so often for a few 'ideas'!

And now I'm going to commit further sacrilege in the eyes of some on here by saying that I think their version of "Every Little Bit Hurts" is, at very least, as good as Brenda Holloway'syes.giflaugh.gif

Never judge a record by its' colour...

The Spencer Davis Group's second album contained creditable versions of Don Covay's "Please Do Something " , Ivory Joe Hunter's " Since I Met You Baby " , Curtis Mayfileld's " You Must Believe Me " , and Bobby Parker's " Watch Your

Step "

The album also contained their version of " I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water " , which was played at The Wheel .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The Spencer Davis Group's second album contained creditable versions of Don Covay's "Please Do Something " , Ivory Joe Hunter's " Since I Met You Baby " , Curtis Mayfileld's " You Must Believe Me " , and Bobby Parker's " Watch Your

Step "

The album also contained their version of " I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water " , which was played at The Wheel .

Malc Burton

And also one of my absolutely favourite British soul covers, Garnet Mimm's 'Look Away'. Stevie's voice is just amazing on this.

Social source share

I'm sure Guy Stevens would have had a great influence on the group releasing this track with the Chris Blackwell connection.

He also had a massive influence on a lot of the material released by the early British rhythm & blues groups with is knowledge and collection.

I know Roger Eagle would have had The Malibu's because he received all the new releases on Duke,Backbeat,Sureshot,Peacock,Stax and a few other labels including Motown up until

about 67.

Stevie Winwood and Van Morrison IMHO the two greatest British vocals of alltime.

Regards

Brian

Social source share

I've never heard such crap laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've never heard such crap laugh.gif

...Exactly what I said when I first heard Bessie Banks' inferior original of "Go Now"!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL....ARE YOU SURE IT WAS THE SCENE CLUB AND NOT THE TILES CLUB? THEY DEFIANTLY DID STEVENAGE MECCA AND BOWES LION, ALSO THE CALIFORNIA. AT THE TIME THEY WERE DOING COVERS THEY WERE WRITING FOR OTHER BANDS (MUTT W) ON SMALL LABELS THAT WERE CONNECTED TO ISLAND RECORDS, INCLUDING AVENUE RECORDS, AND THE BAND THE NITER PEOPLE, LIKE OTHER MOD BANDS EMBRACED THE SOHO CLUBS AS WELL AS THE REGULAR COUNTRY SPOTS LIKE THE TWISTED WHEEL MOJO CLUB AND THE HITE-OWL. AS YOU KNOW THIS IS ANOTHER AREA OF COLLECTING 6ts UK 45s THAT DOES NOT GET TALKED ABOUT SO MUCH ON SOUL SOURCE

I PUT THE HURT ON YOU IS A DECENT COVER, AND TRAMPOLINE WAS A ALL NITER BIG ONE IN THE 6ts & MID 7ts WHEN IT WAS HUGE? GREAT STUFFhatsoff2.gif DAVE

Hi Dave,

I'm absolutely positive it was the Scene. Brian took over DJ'ing from Guy down there, and got his copy from Guy, who had contacts with Duke-Peacock at the time.

Tiles hadn't even opened when the SDG cut "Strong Love". It didn't come to prominence until the Scene tailed off, slightly later on in the mid 60s (c. mid-end 1965 I think).

Best,

TONY

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert