If You Could Have A Second Room At An Allnighter

1. 1. What would you like in the second room ?

• Modern
    • RnB
    • Rare

• Replies 99
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

rare with a soupson of latin thrown in for good measure

:ohmy: Where's your vote then? I'm the only vote for rare so far.

I voted modern, but the main room should be rare and not tryed and tested.(over played oldies).

thumbsup.gif

In that case I'd like tried and tested in the second room. (I think). :tongue:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

anything goes, why stick to 1 genre of this splintered scene when if the promoter gets it right he can mix his djs up to suit a good mix of everything, well thats my opinion anyway

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

About 5 people would turn up to that one... I've tried it, with DJs of national and international repute and it was a complete wash out.

Thats a shame....... I would be more than happy in a funk room.

Social source share

Guest Phoenix8049

Rare, but by that I don't mean rarely available. I mean rarely played.

Yes me too underplayed rare stuff for me as well.

Stu.

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

A freestyle room

Lots of up and coming DJ's along side established DJ's that want to try something different.

Anything goes as long as it's not being played in the main room.

If the music is good enough it will be rocking in there

Social source share

I would like to see a more friendly gay theme inspired room playing the best in ABBA/ Movie scores from Wizard of Oz/ Sound of Music etc.... ans for the dancers MaMa Mia and Queens greatest hits.

Not that i am gay you understand, it would just be for the "crack" oooops :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Stuff that is rarely played in the main room (although that depends which main room i suppose). Exactly the soul night me and Adam run now, that would be my ideal second room. Gloucester's second room is the best so far. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

What about 'NORTHERN SOUL,THE COMMERCIAL SIDE' and play the hundredsof NS tunes that charted.......I would really love that! yes.gifyes.gifyes.gifthumbsup.gif

I'd like to hear a few more Northern oldies that are never played, forgotten northern. Mark Freeman is a connoisseur of the forgotten oldie.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

A freestyle room

Lots of up and coming DJ's along side established DJ's that want to try something different.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

A freestyle room

if only eh Chris thumbsup.gif

Social source share

How strange that modern has got so many votes when when so many of us agreed on another thread that modern was not a natural bedfellow with northern and most modern fans went home at a sensible hour etc.

I assume the main room is "Norman oldies" ?

And are we talking real modern, or northern boys playing Alfie Davison, Charles Johnson, Exportations etc?

Confused and disorientated. :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

What about 'NORTHERN SOUL,THE COMMERCIAL SIDE' and play the hundredsof NS tunes that charted.......I would really love that! yes.gifyes.gifyes.gifthumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif ala last night at cleethorpes

Social source share

A freestyle room

Spot on with that Mr Pickles if the music is good why limit yourself with what you can play. I love my Rnb, Early Soul, Latin etc and would look to mix all these in when dj-ing. IMO a good dj will always mix it up, if you stick to one genre it all starts to sound very samey!

Why not mix in oldies with underplayed soul followed by some latin, Rnb and funky soul. I say get it all in the mix, it's what makes a quality dj from a average dj!

Social source share

If you could have a second room at an allnighter what would you choose?

Overplayed, hammered to death oldies. Played by DJs who stopped caring decades ago, playing the same 24 records they played the week before and in the same order. Obviously boots/pressing are OK as long as the DJ can say give the story that they used to own the original and payed 40pence for it. Any records that are not overplayed and hammered to death are totally unwelcome and should any 'wannabe' DJ play such a crap 'rare soul' record it will be met with an instant clearing of the dancefloor and shouts of 'Play some Northern Soul!'.

Obviously this is assuming that the main room is the 'freestyle' type described earlier where DJs are given freedom to play what they want with just two restrictions of 'OVO' and 'danceable' :D

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest bunty

Spot on with that Mr Pickles if the music is good why limit yourself with what you can play. I love my Rnb, Early Soul, Latin etc and would look to mix all these in when dj-ing. IMO a good dj will always mix it up, if you stick to one genre it all starts to sound very samey!

Why not mix in oldies with underplayed soul followed by some latin, Rnb and funky soul. I say get it all in the mix, it's what makes a quality dj from a average dj!

:hatsoff2:Hear Hear!

Social source share

Chill out bingo room would work well, sit down with a soul backing track and play a few lines of bingo, spot prizes with a main full house game towards the end of the night lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell,

a nite out to the bingo it is then for u mark......birthday treat from me :laugh:

Edited by grant
Social source share

If you have one room with a mix of tunes,why have a second roomhuh.gif

Kevinnocent.gif

I would also suggest that the addition of a second room had a large part to play in sewing the seeds of fragmentation that we now have, and yes I do mean right back to Mr M's that started the trend for a section of the crowd to start looking backwards.

Tony

Social source share

Guest DeeJay

Yes me too underplayed rare stuff for me as well.

Stu.

How about any "soul" choon(s) that you rarely hear, anywhere, Regardless of age, speed ,or style. I quite often come across "nice" soul records, when buying blind, that you wouldn't hear at a "normal"night. It also depends on the other room, size of venue, and amount of people expected.

DJ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert