Ever Had Someone Refuse To Sell You 45's?

I was at a Record Show in Toronto yesterday. This is a good show as it is all Reggae/Soul/DJ stuff and lots of young collectors/sellers looking for breaks etc. I always pick up nice Soul stuff and usually at $2 a pop.

I recognised one of the dealers as someone I had bumped into at a local flea market a year or so ago and he had given me his number and said to call him. He lives at least a 3 hour drive away and shortly after I lost my job and ended up being out of work for 15 months.

Anyhoo, back to the show. He had a 500 flight case behind his stall and after the mad rush to see his albums had died down I went and asked if I could look through. He said "NO" ohmy.gif

I stood back a bit and said "Why?" His answer - "I gave you my number and you never called me so I am not going to let you look at my 45's" ohmy.gif

I explained the out of work thing which was confirmed by the seller next to him as he had offered me a load of 45's during this time as well.

"I dont care" said Numbnuts "He is not looking" laugh.gif

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest southpaw

I was at a Record Show in Toronto yesterday. This is a good show as it is all Reggae/Soul/DJ stuff and lots of young collectors/sellers looking for breaks etc. I always pick up nice Soul stuff and usually at $2 a pop.

I recognised one of the dealers as someone I had bumped into at a local flea market a year or so ago and he had given me his number and said to call him. He lives at least a 3 hour drive away and shortly after I lost my job and ended up being out of work for 15 months.

Anyhoo, back to the show. He had a 500 flight case behind his stall and after the mad rush to see his albums had died down I went and asked if I could look through. He said "NO" :ohmy:

I stood back a bit and said "Why?" His answer - "I gave you my number and you never called me so I am not going to let you look at my 45's" :ohmy:

I explained the out of work thing which was confirmed by the seller next to him as he had offered me a load of 45's during this time as well.

"I dont care" said Numbnuts "He is not looking" :laugh:

Tell him to stick his box where the sun dosn't shine :D

Social source share

I have refused sell records to people who've fannied around in the past.

There was one buyer who regularly used to return 50% of his purchases because "they didn't sound as good as he thought" when he got them home / buyer remorse.

I was at the bar when he was looking through my box and came back to him with a pile of potential purchases and my exact words were "You can put them back, i don't run a fcuking lending library"...

He hasn't looked in my box since, and do you know what, I'm glad because he was more hassle than he was worth.

Social source share

Anyhoo, back to the show. He had a 500 flight case behind his stall and after the mad rush to see his albums had died down I went and asked if I could look through. He said "NO" :ohmy:

I stood back a bit and said "Why?" His answer - "I gave you my number and you never called me so I am not going to let you look at my 45's" :ohmy:

"I dont care" said Numbnuts "He is not looking" :laugh:

It happened a lot of times to me in the mid 70's.

One notable time was a shop in a real dodgy part of Watts that everytime I drew up in the car they'd automatically lock the door and put the closed sign up. It happened twice in a row and I figured it was because I was white. I finally wised up the third time I went and parked around the back and then ran into the shop before they had time to see me coming. I ran in and said "It's OK guys, I'm English and I just wanna buy some records". After a tense minute or so, they reluctantly let me start digging. Inspired choice as that's where I found two copies of Charles Russell on Psyche and tons of other small L.A. label things. It turned out that the shop was a cover for a dope-dealing operation and ANY white guy would have set off alarm bells. I was lucky.

When I was going through Texas in the 80's, I hit a shop in San Bernadino (I think) and the guy asked me what I was looking for and I said, "Oh all sorts of stuff really" and as soon as he heard my accent he said, "Get out of my shop. I f*ckin' hate you English guys ripping us off". I said, "Well are the records for sale or not"? And he said, "Not to you Motherf*cker". I got the hint.......

It also happened to me in Jamaica in '76 in Montego Bay when I wanted to buy a heap of Dub albums. No one would serve me because I was white and eventually the taxi driver came in and said "We need to leave NOW"! So I got him to buy the albums and we split.....

I think there were quite a few times actually now that I think about it. If I think of any more I thwack 'em down later........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Conversely,

I was trying to purchase a 45 off Henry Atkinson some years ago (at above going rate but I was sick off missing them at the right price).

I had well over half of the amount in cash (say £80) and offered a guaranteed cheque of about £30 for the balance.

After trying to convince him that the cheque wouldn't bounce (apart from the fact that the guarantee card covered up to £100) he still refused to accept as "he didn't know me" (which was crap since I'd bought a few things off him in the past).

So I told him the following. "i'm Joe Dutton, and you'll know me in future as the bloke who'll never buy another record off of you, you miserable cnut"

And I never have.

:thumbup:

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Amazing how touchy some dealers can be -the worst experience i had was as a enthusiastic 21 year old at darlington dolphin centre in 1984 -ater the cocky twat came on as the big I am [id been to my grandas funeral on the afternoon"i broke his nose my mate Pat Brady moaned all night as he was stood next to me at the time that id spolit his best jackett[with the blood] lol,have not had a list since funnily enough lol-this guy if people have a memory of early eighties record dealers was a total knob.

NEV will know this- the lad who worked the door that night was Conney so i did not get thrown out ,was heavily into the weights at the time and was a bit short fused lol.

BAZ A

BAZ Athumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest southpaw

It happened a lot of times to me in the mid 70's.

One notable time was a shop in a real dodgy part of Watts that everytime I drew up in the car they'd automatically lock the door and put the closed sign up. It happened twice in a row and I figured it was because I was white. I finally wised up the third time I went and parked around the back and then ran into the shop before they had time to see me coming. I ran in and said "It's OK guys, I'm English and I just wanna buy some records". After a tense minute or so, they reluctantly let me start digging. Inspired choice as that's where I found two copies of Charles Russell on Psyche and tons of other small L.A. label things. It turned out that the shop was a cover for a dope-dealing operation and ANY white guy would have set off alarm bells. I was lucky.

When I was going through Texas in the 80's, I hit a shop in San Bernadino (I think) and the guy asked me what I was looking for and I said, "Oh all sorts of stuff really" and as soon as he heard my accent he said, "Get out of my shop. I f*ckin' hate you English guys ripping us off". I said, "Well are the records for sale or not"? And he said, "Not to you Motherf*cker". I got the hint.......

It also happened to me in Jamaica in '76 in Montego Bay when I wanted to buy a heap of Dub albums. No one would serve me because I was white and eventually the taxi driver came in and said "We need to leave NOW"! So I got him to buy the albums and we split.....

I think there were quite a few times actually now that I think about it. If I think of any more I thwack 'em down later........

:D:D sounds like you've had some lucky escapes mate

Social source share

As for the US had trouble in downtown Miami -New Jersey and parts of DC -simply us dealers intolelance to the british collector mentality-the best us dealer and most courteous by far was John Moore in philly [x veitnam vet and total gentleman] his love of group soul and doo wop kept the fires burning for him.I also scored 2 love doves in a small record shop in jacksonville florida -there well all off their nut listening to Sonic youth lol,so that went pretty well at the time lol.The states is always a challenge lol!!!

BAZ A

Social source share

Conversely,

I was trying to purchase a 45 off Henry Atkinson some years ago (at above going rate but I was sick off missing them at the right price).

I had well over half of the amount in cash (say £80) and offered a guaranteed cheque of about £30 for the balance.

After trying to convince him that the cheque wouldn't bounce (apart from the fact that the guarantee card covered up to £100) he still refused to accept as "he didn't know me" (which was crap since I'd bought a few things off him in the past).

So I told him the following. "i'm Joe Dutton, and you'll know me in future as the bloke who'll never buy another record off of you, you miserable cnut"

And I never have.

:D

:thumbup::no::lol:

Good for you Joe!

Social source share

HELLO JOE Heres one for you mate -little store in San Antomio me and Gaz Simons done really well it was in a indoor market and we had to pay for the records at an exist point away from the record room -i got asked for a date lol,she said i had the nicest AUSTRALIAN ACCENT SHE HAD EVER HEARD -:ohmy: baz a.

You're not wrong there Baz,

I've got a theory that the more records that a store has, the nuttier the store owner is - they must give off some kind of toxic fumes.

Social source share

The best ones ever was those people who used to let you look through there record boxes in record bars, and when you pulled somthing out they`d say OH NO THERE NOT FOR SALE wtf was all that about then:angry::angry:

ha ha...beat me to that, happened loadsa times to me in 80's and early 90's..think some people just like to show off what they've got!:laugh:

Social source share

theres a couple of guys at nighters,who always look through my boxes

they have never EVER bought a thing off me

think if i had an esther grant in there at a quid they wouldnt buy it

feel like telling then to f-- off and waste your time somewhere else

but i never do

you also get the type who are only looking to see what there stuff is going for

and about every 4th record say

"ooh i bought that for a quid at Wigan"

or "ooh is that what that goes for now"

Social source share

I haven't had anyone refuse to sell me 45s (except for a few times I've gone out on record buys and the chaps wanted too much for not-that-great records, so I made them a lowball offer which they passed on), but it brings a couple of stories to mind.

Speaking of loads of records, I'm sure some of you have been to Bill's in Dallas. If you haven't, it's an experience. I was there about 7 years ago before he moved to a new location, so I don't know what the store looks like now. Nothing is priced, so you have to go up ask Bill what he wants, and the price is the price to my knowledge. After 2 hours of having a rummage, I chucked it in. I saw a few bits, but just didn't want to mess about with going up there with items.

I was at the Wembley Record Fair 5-6 years back and saw a chap trying to beat up a dealer on an item (a videotape). He threw it on the ground, broke it into a million pieces and said "now no one is going to have it!"

Finally, I host a record show in the states. There's this chap who used to come up to me all the time and say I have a record for a certain price and would ask me to justify why I had it for a different price. I would try to explain the condition might be different, they might have paid less than I did to acquire it, etc., but I finally ignored him instead.

It's amazing!

Social source share

was in Bleeker st records a few years ago In New York and with a couple of days to go had about $800 left- saw this room with tons of stuff and said Ive got this and want to buy- he said he hadnt decided what he was doing with the thousands he had in that room.

A month later he had transferred them into the empty racks I saw and Steve Bounden gets a Sillouhettes - not me baby for $1

I was terribly frustrated!

Social source share

was in Bleeker st records a few years ago In New York and with a couple of days to go had about $800 left- saw this room with tons of stuff and said Ive got this and want to buy- he said he hadnt decided what he was doing with the thousands he had in that room.

A month later he had transferred them into the empty racks I saw and Steve Bounden gets a Sillouhettes - not me baby for $1

That guy's been frustrating buyers for the last 30 years.

I've been arguing with him for that long anyway. The conversation usually went something like this:

Me: "I don't suppose there's any chance of looking through the stuff in the back room and behind the counter is there".

Guy: "Well, how it works here, is you tell me what you want and I'll see if I've got it".

Me: "Well, unfortunately I collect stuff that I don't already know, so I don't know what I want until I see it."

Guy: "Well, I guess you're out of luck then".

Me: "OK. That's a shame though 'cos I've got $10,000 burning a hole in my pocket......"

Guy: "Well, what do you want then"?

Me: "I don't know until I see it"

Etc, etc, etc, etc.........

Had the same conversation with him in '77, '87, '97 and '07. Last time I went in he offered me the lot for $250,000 and I said "it's a bit late now...."

Social source share

If this is the guy with all the LP's in the front and no 45's on view, I've had the "pleasure" of trying to look through his stuff as well.

I'm quite sure he doesn't want to sell records.

I looked through a few LP's and each time I moved to another section he followed me tutting and straightening up the row I'd just looked at. I asked him if he had any 45's and he said "Yeah, thousands. What record do you want?"

Already p*ssed off, I made up a few and he went and looked for each one. Meanwhile I moved a few LP's around.

Tw*t.

Edited by paultp
Social source share

I also scored 2 love doves in a small record shop in jacksonville florida -there well all off their nut listening to Sonic youth lol,so that went pretty well at the time lol.The states is always a challenge lol!!!

BAZ A

Close the thread now, it can't get better than this! laugh.gif

Social source share

lol hello mate still got loads of your tapes from shots and your brothers -hope your both well-we used to do a north east vs scotland c-90 swap lol,cant believe that was 23 +years ago .

BAZ A

Close the thread now, it can't get better than this! laugh.gif

Hi Baz, 23 years - holy shit!

Good to hear from ya mate, and glad to see you're on the mend. All the best from me & Stevie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

ha ha...beat me to that, happened loadsa times to me in 80's and early 90's..think some people just like to show off what they've got!:laugh:

Oh god, that seemed to happen all the time. One guy I experienced kept saying 'that's reserved' or 'someone's already bought that' when I was attempting to purchase stuff from him. Finally lost my temper and said 'Are ANY of these actually for sale or are you just wasting my effing time!'

He wasn't very pleased!

Also experienced a seller who wouldn't let me have anything if I 'didn't know it'

'How will I ever get to know it if you don't sell me it' was my smart-alec reply.

He wasn't very pleased either...

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

I have a buddy who i used to occasionally trade 45's with. I'd bring over a box of good stuff to trade and he'd let me start going through his stuff, but as soon as I showed interest in any record, he suddenly wouldnt want to trade that one... so basically, anything i wanted, he then wanted to keep. still my buddy, but i dont bother trying to trade with him anymore haha

Social source share

eh up Nebraska soulmate -let me know if you are coming to Austen record Convention in October we can go for a beer -and by the way whAts the record hunting like in your neck of the woods?

BAZ A

I have a buddy who i used to occasionally trade 45's with. I'd bring over a box of good stuff to trade and he'd let me start going through his stuff, but as soon as I showed interest in any record, he suddenly wouldnt want to trade that one... so basically, anything i wanted, he then wanted to keep. still my buddy, but i dont bother trying to trade with him anymore haha

Social source share

Remember buying records off a dealer in Morden.......big backroom. Spent a few hours there and found some nice bits.A little pile of about ten. All unpriced.What do you want for these then? Well let me check the book..... that f***n book.Came to a deal and left. Went back a few weeks later and found a bigger pile...this would take him hour to check that f***n book.I ensured a price of a quick £2 each by sticking in Wombles and Cliff records and a quick exit and no f****n book.:laugh:

Social source share

Anyhoo, back to the show. He had a 500 flight case behind his stall and after the mad rush to see his albums had died down I went and asked if I could look through. He said "NO" ohmy.gif

I stood back a bit and said "Why?" His answer - "I gave you my number and you never called me so I am not going to let you look at my 45's" ohmy.gif

The guy's sound like a right Tit. no.gif

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

If this is the guy with all the LP's in the front and no 45's on view, I've had the "pleasure" of trying to look through his stuff as well.

I'm quite sure he doesn't want to sell records.

I looked through a few LP's and each time I moved to another section he followed me tutting and straightening up the row I'd just looked at. I asked him if he had any 45's and he said "Yeah, thousands. What record do you want?"

Already p*ssed off, I made up a few and he went and looked for each one. Meanwhile I moved a few LP's around.

Tw*t.

:lol:

That really made me laugh!

Social source share

Conversely,

And I never have.

Funniest thing I heard all week... old Crut... Laughs

There is a Guy in Sydney who owns a shop there, he has all those Jamaican Sam Dees 45's that flooded the market some years back.. I wont mention his name..

I went to his shop and the guy there says the owners coming in shortly and will price a few things up for me that I pulled out, I'm Saturday record shopping so I cant return without anything so I wait. An hour later the guy walks through the door, full knowledge I've been waiting cause he's made calls to the shop and his assistants says there an English guy in here with a pile of 45's he want to buy... anyway he proceeded to ignore me for another 20 mins while fanny arsing about behind the counter, then he asks me if he can help me and I say, biting my tongue, I'd like these, then he proceeds to take half the 45s away saying he wont sell those ones, leaving a couple for me, so I say I don't want that or that and we end up with 3, one of which is the Jamaican Sam Dees 45, which he had boxes of unopened /still sleeved originals under the counter, and he wants $66 Aussie dollars for it..

not giving up the battle of wills, cause I cant walk away now, I asked him whether it was a bootleg? knowing it wasn't, but it got him straight away huffing and Puffing, and explaining at great length what's what with Jamaican 45s, so I took my time and offered him $50, he says $60 and I slowly agree saying I don't normally buy bootlegs but its a tune I've been after and it will do till I get an original..

and I walk out the shop, kinda smiling to my self, but promising my self thats the first and last time in that shop... as I walked down the road I pipped into a cafe, and while I'm having my Latte he walks in with his assistant and comes straight over and asks why I accused him of selling bootlegs, Must have pissed him off with that.. Laughs ...and I simply said cause your a RUDE C**T, and F**K off away from my table...

I've never played that 45 to this day, but I wont ever sell it!!

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Conversely,

And I never have.

A few people I know have commented on his attitude, after looking through his sales box in venues!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL ... A VERY GOOD QUESTION AND AT THE TIME IT LEAVES YOU THINKING WHY? - THE LAST TIME IT HAPPENED TO ME WAS A FEW YEARS BACK AT KEELE, IT WAS A NIGHT WHEN ADY C VISITED TO DJ. HE DID HAVE A SALES BOX, THAT HE LEFT WITH US, I ASKED IF I COULD HAVE A LOOK "YES" HE REPLIED, GOING THROUGH THE BOX HE HAD A CASINOS "THATS THE WAY" EMBER DEMO. TO ME THIS WAS AND STILL IS A MISSING NUMBER AND AN EXCELLANT RECORD, HOWEVER HE WOULD NOT SELL IT FOR SOME REASON, I HAVE ALWAYS PUT IT DOWN TO HIM BEING UNCERTAIN OF HIS VALUATION OF THE RECORD AND DID NOT WANT ME TO MUG HIM.. AS IFph34r.gif DAVE

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL ... A VERY GOOD QUESTION AND AT THE TIME IT LEAVES YOU THINKING WHY? - THE LAST TIME IT HAPPENED TO ME WAS A FEW YEARS BACK AT KEELE, IT WAS A NIGHT WHEN ADY C VISITED TO DJ. HE DID HAVE A SALES BOX, THAT HE LEFT WITH US, I ASKED IF I COULD HAVE A LOOK "YES" HE REPLIED, GOING THROUGH THE BOX HE HAD A CASINOS "THATS THE WAY" EMBER DEMO. TO ME THIS WAS AND STILL IS A MISSING NUMBER AND AN EXCELLANT RECORD, HOWEVER HE WOULD NOT SELL IT FOR SOME REASON, I HAVE ALWAYS PUT IT DOWN TO HIM BEING UNCERTAIN OF HIS VALUATION OF THE RECORD AND DID NOT WANT ME TO MUG HIM.. AS IFph34r.gif DAVE

Hey, most of us have had records which we love but which are difficult to gauge sometimes. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen something interesting in a sales box and made an enquiry only for the owner to suddenly get fidgety and it goes from a 'sales item' to a 'I'm not sure if I wanna sell this just yet' type option. It's par for the course. Snowy used to lug his highly sought-after copy of the Invitations around and also the first copy of The Steinways in his 'sales box', but would he have ever sold 'em? No way Jose. He was dangling a carrot.

There's something tantalising about holding a record, taking note of the label, reluctantly handing it back to the owner and then fantasizing all week about how good that would be in your box. That's the beginning of a high which only peaks when you own the record yourself.

36 years ago Kev Roberts lugged The Tomangoes around in his box for a week or two, so it was technically available but just slightly out of reach due to Kev's reluctance to sell it. But the mental torture of visualising that record in my own hands made me determined to get it at at any cost, so we managed to cut a deal for which I am eternally grateful.

Just wish I'd kept it! laugh.gif

So there's some records that are so rare or so impossible to find or so brilliant, that when you have one in your sales box, you're gonna be a little bit protective about it. I've done deals which were based on me promising to seriously play the record 'otherwise they may as well keep it in their box'.

I'm with Ady on this one. If some guy called Dthedrug started taking an undue amount of interest in that one-off Casinos record on Ember in my box I'd be worried too...........laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Hey, most of us have had records which we love but which are difficult to gauge sometimes. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen something interesting in a sales box and made an enquiry only for the owner to suddenly get fidgety and it goes from a 'sales item' to a 'I'm not sure if I wanna sell this just yet' type option. It's par for the course. Snowy used to lug his highly sought-after copy of the Invitations around and also the first copy of The Steinways in his 'sales box', but would he have ever sold 'em? No way Jose. He was dangling a carrot.

There's something tantalising about holding a record, taking note of the label, reluctantly handing it back to the owner and then fantasizing all week about how good that would be in your box. That's the beginning of a high which only peaks when you own the record yourself.

36 years ago Kev Roberts lugged The Tomangoes around in his box for a week or two, so it was technically available but just slightly out of reach due to Kev's reluctance to sell it. But the mental torture of visualising that record in my own hands made me determined to get it at at any cost, so we managed to cut a deal for which I am eternally grateful.

Just wish I'd kept it! laugh.gif

So there's some records that are so rare or so impossible to find or so brilliant, that when you have one in your sales box, you're gonna be a little bit protective about it. I've done deals which were based on me promising to seriously play the record 'otherwise they may as well keep it in their box'.

I'm with Ady on this one. If some guy called Dthedrug started taking an undue amount of interest in that one-off Casinos record on Ember in my box I'd be worried too...........laugh.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Damn...why didn't I insist on a sell on clause! :lol:

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Just wish I'd kept it! :laugh:

I'm with Ady on this one. If some guy called Dthedrug started taking an undue amount of interest in that one-off Casinos record on Ember in my box I'd be worried too...........:laugh:

Can you remember what the deal was

Social source share

As for the US had trouble in downtown Miami -New Jersey and parts of DC -simply us dealers intolelance to the british collector mentality-the best us dealer and most courteous by far was John Moore in philly [x veitnam vet and total gentleman] his love of group soul and doo wop kept the fires burning for him.I also scored 2 love doves in a small record shop in jacksonville florida -there well all off their nut listening to Sonic youth lol,so that went pretty well at the time lol.The states is always a challenge lol!!!

BAZ A

I've also been in john moores shop a few times, bought a few bits off him, but my mate just browsed through the boxes and racks and didn't buy anything,

he told him to get the f**k out of his shop and don't come back although he was with me, he turned really nasty and we saw his true feelings towards us.

Never been in his shithole shop since. C**t

Social source share

I cant believe nobody has yet mentioned Richard Domar..... he sells on line these days, well just tuesdays actually but if you catch him on a good day he's a lovely guy, willing to please, otherwise he's can we say challenging......Laughs..

Mal.Cph34r.gif

Social source share

cant respond to that really lol,always liked the visits -!!

BAZ A

I've also been in john moores shop a few times, bought a few bits off him, but my mate just browsed through the boxes and racks and didn't buy anything,

he told him to get the f**k out of his shop and don't come back although he was with me, he turned really nasty and we saw his true feelings towards us.

Never been in his shithole shop since. C**t

Social source share

Ten years ago my wife and I went to Cape Cod, Massachusetts for a holiday, we were walking past this very upmarket row of shops and came across a small double fronted shop selling only cd's BUT in each window hanging below each other from nylon cord were lots of Scepter Wand singles, Chuck Jackson, The Shirelles, Dionne Warwick etc.

We entered the shop and there was a youngish girl at the counter, I asked if the records in the window were for sale, she said she didn't know as she only worked there, after some persuasion I got her to phone her boss to ask if they were for sale, "No" was the answer, I offered her a $100 for them all, same answer, I called her bluff and offered $200, still the same answer "No".

So we left the shop, carried on walking and came across a shop selling vinyl (rather like Robinsons records in Manchester for those who remember) covering the ceiling were hundreds of singles fastend with staples. There on the ceiling was a copy of Major Lance Monkey Time, I asked the guy behind the counter if the records were for sale he said "No but if you want any you can have them" he handed me a pair of scissors and I walked a way with the single.

You win some you lose some.

Peter

Social source share

The best ones ever was those people who used to let you look through there record boxes in record bars, and when you pulled somthing out they`d say OH NO THERE NOT FOR SALE wtf was all that about thenangry.gifangry.gif

There was a guy in the early 80's used to walk round Morecambe Pier allnighters with a great sales box full of indemand records.

He would let you look but if you wanted to buy something he would always say he would get back to you later!! He never did!

He was a poser and we never saw him sell any records out of that sales box to anyone!!!

Social source share

there usd to be a bloke who did record fairs in the midlands who had a few half decent northern singles and loads of reissues and youth club stuff in his "northern" section, however the pricing was all over the place but all prices were all top notch or way above. if ou tried to haggle he would get very arsey and dig his heels in , after a few unsuccessfull haggles i turned my attention to a box marked "demos £1.00", looking through i found a couple of nice white motown items worth about a tenner each so i passed them to him ready to pay, he looked at the records, looked at me, looked at the northern box and then said "they are not for sale as they are in the wrong box"and promptly put them under the counter, next record fair they were in the northern box priced at £25 quid each,wink.gifwink.gif

Social source share

hatsoff2.gif HI ALL AND IAN D...A COUPLE OF THINGS TO SAY, (1) THE HARDEST PERSON TO SELL TO THAT I HAVE COME ACROSS, WITH OUT ANY DOUBT WAS "PEP" I HAVE NEVER SOLD A RECORD OVER IT'S ODDS, BUT AT WIGAN, PEP USED TO LOOK AT THE SALES PRICE TAKE 5 RECORDS OUT OF THE BOX AND STARTED TO HAGGLE ABOUT THEM ONLY WERE WORTH A 1/4 OF THEE PRICE, I THINK HE USED THIS TECHNIQUE THROUGH OUT HIS LIFE AS A PROMOTER ALSO, LIKE GETTING BLOOD FROM A STONE, A REALLY NICE BLOKE THEElaugh.gif (2) A PET HATE OF MINE, NOT HAPPENED IN RECENT YEARS, BUT IT GOT ME GOING EVERY TIME, AT RECORD FAIRS ALL-NIGHTERS CAR BOOTS AND SO ON. IT'S THE BLOKE WHO BUTS IN FRONT OF YOU WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT BOXES, THIS BLOKE WHOEVER HE IS WILL ALWAYS PULL THE RARE RECORD OUT, RIGHT UNDER YOUR EYES, GGGRRR!ohmy.gif AND THE ADDY C RECORD WAS NOT A STAIN ON THE MAN AT ALL! HOWEVER I HAVE HAD IT OVER ON MOST! YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT DOPEY DICK FROM WOLVES, YEARS AGO AT THE OLD VIC IN WOLVES HE GOT A DALTON BOYS VIP DEMO FROM ME FOR 6 POUNDS? HAPPY AS LARRY HE WENT AWAY WITH A HOP! & A SKIP! NEXT TIME I SAW HIM HE SCREAMED AT ME & MICK S... IT'S A BOOTLEG I WANT ME MONEY BACK! HE SAID. F**K OFF SAYS I, P**S OFF SAID MICK!..WHAT DID HE THINK IT WAS FOR 6 POUNDS, HE WAS QUITE HAPPY THINKING HE HAD RIPPED ME OF! BUT ACTED LIKE A GIRL CRYING, IT IS A GOOD LESSON TO LEARN, IF YOU AIN'T SURE ASK. REMEMBER WHEN HE SOLD THE BROOKS BROS FOR A FEW QUID...MUPPET... AND IAN I AM AS HONEST AS THE DAY IS LONG!ph34r.gif DAVE THE DIPPER KIL
Social source share

there usd to be a bloke who did record fairs in the midlands who had a few half decent northern singles and loads of reissues and youth club stuff in his "northern" section, however the pricing was all over the place but all prices were all top notch or way above. if ou tried to haggle he would get very arsey and dig his heels in , after a few unsuccessfull haggles i turned my attention to a box marked "demos £1.00", looking through i found a couple of nice white motown items worth about a tenner each so i passed them to him ready to pay, he looked at the records, looked at me, looked at the northern box and then said "they are not for sale as they are in the wrong box"and promptly put them under the counter, next record fair they were in the northern box priced at £25 quid each,wink.gifwink.gif

That's the inherent fear of someone else's superior knowledge. Every record dealer's curse. boxing.gif

I'm actually glad I never got too paranoid about that aspect. I like to share music so no big deal if my records go to someone who can make better use of 'em. Some records are better off with a new owner rather than festering on my shelves for 30-40 years. So records need to move on sometimes. Plus it's lovely to see records that passed through your hands eventually find an audience.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've taken an interest in a record and it suddenly becomes harder to own BECAUSE I've taken an interest. So that's why I had to develop a more nonchalant, easy going, none enthusiastic stance to buying rare records over the years. And then, when a few deals went my way, people accused me of being a two-faced confidence trickster. You can't win either way......

What I don't get is when I've revisited a shop and the owner immediately says something like, "Well, this time it's gonna cost ya, 'cos you ripped me off last time".

Rubbish. I liberated clearly priced records that he wanted to sell at the time at the price he put on 'em and was happy to sell 'em at. Just because I was lucky enough to to find his shop at my time and expense and buy some of his stock at the price he wanted, how's that ripping someone off?

Superior knowledge must be major irritant to dealers. It's hard to keep on top of everything and new scenes develop all the time so I guess there's a natural paranoia on an ongoing basis. It was exactly the same in the 70's with second-hand record shops and market stalls, where a healthy atmosphere of mutual suspicion would be routine between dealers and customers. All part of the rich tapestry etc, etc.........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert