What'S Your Take On Rare Soul?

What's your take on rare soul?

Can you dig it?

In five months time you have an opportunity to experience some thing quite remarkable, some think that is a strange as it is wonderful, a weird whacky wonderful experience of an allnighter based around throwing away the rule book and the formula without boundaries and without a script.

I'm talking about a quirky, marvelously nutty allnighter called Bidds.

To me it's like one of those strange and intriguing "cult films" that some will find confusing and leave the cinema scratching their heads wondering what all the fuss is about while others will be straight round to the ticket office ready to see it again.

There are so many strange flavors being offered, I wouldn't want any of them in a sandwich at tea time but they kinda work, no they make up this sort of delicious trifle, its as if you are tasting some thing for the first time yet it sends you hurtling back to tastes of your mums and nowt on this earth tastes better than mums cooking!

I'm not over egging this, you have to experience it your self coz there is some thing very special tucked away and a little hidden. I felt as if I have stumbled across one of those TV programs lost or hidden in the after ten o'clock slot where no one watches it yet there is a cadre of fans.

I liken Bidds to a mini series that has long had cult following, all of the characters and components are there. You drive into this "road house" venue and some one will more than likely help you to park, no they don't jump into your car or anything, its just that the people who stand out side aren't the usual scary starey people who you usually walk around. There is a warm and genuine greeting that doesn't scare or intimidate you nor is it one of these American "Moonie" sickly sweet affairs.

You are now ready to start to meet the Bidds cast of characters, first up is the doormen who look as if they could rip you spine out yet welcome you as if you are coming home and they are distant relations, you get a real hand shake and a sense of relaxed control.

The manager is a top banana who is very hard not to like, he is in charge yet both him, the bar staff and door staff soon become part of the experience, I see them dancing some times and its ace to see them popping up at other venues and it kinda sets the stage for the other cast members.

I'm used to seeing a line of tables with aluminum record boxes protecting the dealers who all look as if they are at a car boot sale for blokes who need girlfriends. Here at Bidds there is a collective giggle of characters ready to take the piss and have, dare I say fun? There is a frivolity that renders any preconceptions void, all are individual, all have there own take on music and it is here that Bidds has its true heart beat, it is this musical jigsaw puzzle made up from different boxes where some of the pieces don't quite fit yet no one cares and no one seams to be worried that the picture forming will be out of focus to most of the Northernsoul community and that is where Bidds becomes Bidds.

The punters are the "who's who" of the scene yet there is no "Royalty" present, no corners, groups or cliques of old school, new school, or bold school, just dancers who want to dance. I took time out to see what was occurring, was there a large group of beard strokers here to judge the music, there was not?

The whole Bidds experience is a paradox, the music comes from individual DJ's who offer up their record box as if they are exposing their souls warts n all, you get this impression that rather than try to impress they have opened their hearts to play the music of their lives, you may think that I am waxing lyrical here but there is an air of vulnerability when playing the music you love, they are offering the dance floor an honest glimpse of soul, Its hard not to fall in love with that sort of DJ and it manifests its self gloriously on the dance floor.

Bidds will not be for every one but it is open to every one and I recommend that this is thee place to have visited before you die, Its on again in five months, the toilets aren't mega but the people and the place are and the music is enigmatic, powerful and honest.

Footnote.

This isn't my stab at giving Bidds a thumbs up nor is it a "Look Back", this is my take on the rare souls scene from the perspective of a dancer/punter. I no little to nothing about our wonderful scene other than it's a broad church and with so much out there I believe a honest recommend is often needed.

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'm not over egging this, you have to experience it your self coz there is some thing very special tucked away and a little hidden. I felt as if I have stumbled across one of those TV programs lost or hidden in the after ten o'clock slot where no one watches it yet there is a cadre of fans

That quote pretty much sums it up for me Simon :thumbsup:

You are also spot on when you say that Bidds isn't gonna be everybodies cup of tea....we are far too diverse in our playlists to gain any sort of major popularity vote.

What surprises me quite often, is the folk that do latch on to Bidds, are not necessarily those that you'd expect to.

I noticed that Andy Dyson recently posted that he loves all aspects to this scene, from Kings Hall to Bidds.

A great comment that highlights how far removed from the 'normally accepted' side of the scene, Bidds is, whilst still having it's roots firmly in the scene.............oh, and both events are in Stoke.......nuff said :lol:

See ya back there in 5 months then... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

Saturday was a first for us at Bidds, it wont be the last either, cant pin point what it has but really enjoyed the time we spent there.

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

That quote pretty much sums it up for me Simon thumbsup.gif

You are also spot on when you say that Bidds isn't gonna be everybodies cup of tea....we are far too diverse in our playlists to gain any sort of major popularity vote.

What surprises me quite often, is the folk that do latch on to Bidds, are not necessarily those that you'd expect to.

I noticed that Andy Dyson recently posted that he loves all aspects to this scene, from Kings Hall to Bidds.

A great comment that highlights how far removed from the 'normally accepted' side of the scene, Bidds is, whilst still having it's roots firmly in the scene.............oh, and both events are in Stoke.......nuff said :D

See ya back there in 5 months then... thumbsup.gif

Hi Mace, this makes a refreshing change to hear that a nighter is doing well that is as you say far removed from the normally accepted side of the scene, Well Done.

Out of interest how many people generally attend Bidds?

cheers

Phil

Social source share

Hi Mace, this makes a refreshing change to hear that a nighter is doing well that is as you say far removed from the normally accepted side of the scene, Well Done.

Out of interest how many people generally attend Bidds?

cheers

Phil

Hi Phil.

Anywhere between 100 - 150 usually mate.

Regards

Mace

Social source share

DJ's who offer up their record box as if they are exposing their souls warts n all, you get this impression that rather than try to impress they have opened their hearts to play the music of their lives, you may think that I am waxing lyrical here but there is an air of vulnerability when playing the music you love, they are offering the dance floor an honest glimpse of soul, Its hard not to fall in love with that sort of DJ and it manifests its self gloriously on the dance floor.

Nice words which typify the DJs that have my respect, and who are pretty much the only ones I'll travel for these days.

Not many of them are big names and are often found in the smaller clubs where the new and lesser played stuff can be heard.

It's a totally different game to playing tried and tested oldies or current biggies, it's about having enough confidence in your own taste to spin it and hope that others will share the enjoyment.

I know a number of people who attend Bidds regularily but to date I've not been.

Will have to make an effort for the next one..

Social source share

Guest Phil Armstrong

Hi Phil.

Anywhere between 100 - 150 usually mate.

Regards

Mace

Hi Mace,

Many thanks, I must get along to the next one.

Out of interest is the Radcliffe Civic Suite all nighter a similar music policy?

Cheers

Phil

Social source share

Guest marge

an allnighter based around throwing away the rule book and the formula without boundaries and without a script.

To me it's like one of those strange and intriguing "cult films" that some will find confusing and leave the cinema scratching their heads wondering what all the fuss is about while others will be straight round to the ticket office ready to see it again.

There are so many strange flavors being offered,

you have to experience it your self coz there is some thing very special tucked away and a little hidden.

:smile:

unusually put, but quite perfectly said, but this is what I love about Bidds, no rule book, fab sleazy hidden venue, a place with it's own vibe.

It's the only venue I do where I dance to records I've never heard before (sorry that makes me boring) but the music is fierce, kicks in immediately so you don't have to know the track, always found that the music has a great back beat I can pick up on whether that's latin, rnb or 60's, just does it for me. Oh and I like King's Hall too and my oldies / sprung dance floor , so to me this isn't a chin strokers niter, it's a niter that plays music with bollix that gets you on the floor whether known to you or not. Like Simon says, to quote a phrase, it's strange, but instantly danceable flavours.

And BTW the ladies loos aren't that bad....

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

good post simon, Bidds on saturday night was great fun to be at because it seemed everyone was in relaxed good humour, it has been a place i hvent been to often enough and come away wondering why i dont go more often. Its somewhere you can quite quickly feel at ease and familiar with the tunes whether they are midtempo, predate the sixties, ( i heard an uptempo cover of Big Joe Turner,s Flip Flop and fly on sat) or exhaustingly quick .Des Parkers spot stood out for me on sat.But fair to say i had a great time all night.see you there in sept

Social source share

"What's your take on rare soul?"

Just an extension of the original ethos of the early clubs where everything was played with no preconceptions and no rule book.

You travelled to hear tunes you would not hear else where.

Sad that this original philosophy has declined imho.

Social source share

"What's your take on rare soul?"

Just an extension of the original ethos of the early clubs where everything was played with no preconceptions and no rule book.

You travelled to hear tunes you would not hear else where.

Sad that this original philosophy has declined imho.

exactly. spot on thumbsup.gif

Edited by steptoe
Social source share

I would like to give Bidds a try :lol:

I do listen to quite a bit of Rare Soul when im at home yes.gif

But I tend to go to alot of oldies nights because my partner Ian & my friends go....................but it can get a bit boring hearing the same old records :D & if i hear bloody Mitch Ryder one more time.........................im going to throw the dj off that stage :hypo:

So im all for a Rare Soul night :lol: it shows the dj's have some imagination :yes:

Debbie x

Social source share

Guest Drewes

I would like to give Bidds a try thumbsup.gif

I do listen to quite a bit of Rare Soul when im at home :yes:

But I tend to go to alot of oldies nights because my partner Ian & my friends go....................but it can get a bit boring hearing the same old records :sad: & if i hear bloody Mitch Ryder one more time.........................im going to throw the dj off that stage :laugh:

So im all for a Rare Soul night thumbsup.gif it shows the dj's have some imagination :hatsoff2:

Debbie x

Should be back to fitness by the next one... can pick you up on the way through if you want ... is a venue I'd like to try. thumbsup.gif

Sonia x

Social source share

Can you dig it?

In five months time you have an opportunity to experience some thing quite remarkable, some think that is a strange as it is wonderful, a weird whacky wonderful experience of an allnighter based around throwing away the rule book and the formula without boundaries and without a script.

There are so many strange flavors being offered, I wouldn't want any of them in a sandwich at tea time but they kinda work, no they make up this sort of delicious trifle, its as if you are tasting some thing for the first time yet it sends you hurtling back to tastes of your mums and nowt on this earth tastes better than mums cooking!

I'm not over egging this, you have to experience it your self coz there is some thing very special tucked away and a little hidden. I felt as if I have stumbled across one of those TV programs lost or hidden in the after ten o'clock slot where no one watches it yet there is a cadre of fans.

I liken Bidds to a mini series that has long had cult following, all of the characters and components are there. You drive into this "road house" venue and some one will more than likely help you to park, no they don't jump into your car or anything, its just that the people who stand out side aren't the usual scary starey people who you usually walk around. There is a warm and genuine greeting that doesn't scare or intimidate you nor is it one of these American "Moonie" sickly sweet affairs.

You are now ready to start to meet the Bidds cast of characters, first up is the doormen who look as if they could rip you spine out yet welcome you as if you are coming home and they are distant relations, you get a real hand shake and a sense of relaxed control.

The manager is a top banana who is very hard not to like, he is in charge yet both him, the bar staff and door staff soon become part of the experience, I see them dancing some times and its ace to see them popping up at other venues and it kinda sets the stage for the other cast members.

I'm used to seeing a line of tables with aluminum record boxes protecting the dealers who all look as if they are at a car boot sale for blokes who need girlfriends. Here at Bidds there is a collective giggle of characters ready to take the piss and have, dare I say fun? There is a frivolity that renders any preconceptions void, all are individual, all have there own take on music and it is here that Bidds has its true heart beat, it is this musical jigsaw puzzle made up from different boxes where some of the pieces don't quite fit yet no one cares and no one seams to be worried that the picture forming will be out of focus to most of the Northernsoul community and that is where Bidds becomes Bidds.

The punters are the "who's who" of the scene yet there is no "Royalty" present, no corners, groups or cliques of old school, new school, or bold school, just dancers who want to dance. I took time out to see what was occurring, was there a large group of beard strokers here to judge the music, there was not?

The whole Bidds experience is a paradox, the music comes from individual DJ's who offer up their record box as if they are exposing their souls warts n all, you get this impression that rather than try to impress they have opened their hearts to play the music of their lives, you may think that I am waxing lyrical here but there is an air of vulnerability when playing the music you love, they are offering the dance floor an honest glimpse of soul, Its hard not to fall in love with that sort of DJ and it manifests its self gloriously on the dance floor.

Bidds will not be for every one but it is open to every one and I recommend that this is thee place to have visited before you die, Its on again in five months, the toilets aren't mega but the people and the place are and the music is enigmatic, powerful and honest.

Footnote.

This isn't my stab at giving Bidds a thumbs up nor is it a "Look Back", this is my take on the rare souls scene from the perspective of a dancer/punter. I no little to nothing about our wonderful scene other than it's a broad church and with so much out there I believe a honest recommend is often needed.

"BIDDS" -Is this connected with and/or affiliated with eBay?

Social source share

Its rare anyone sells less than book price

its rare any woman dj's

its rare everybody gets on

its rare you see any youths

its rare i get to dj

its rare anybody plays a £10- record

its rare anyone sells a record for less than £10

its rare that they play charts stuff (as it should be)

its rare funk that spoils it

its rare that you see djs dancing

its rare you see djs out as punters

its rare you see Beeks smiling

that about covers it for me huh.gif

Save i go out rarely these days biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can you dig it?

Footnote.

The words 'angling', 'for', 'free' and 'entry' come to mind...whistling.gif

Social source share

Ken, You should have been at Boomerang on sat night,great crowd and plenty of class Djs there as punters :sweatingbullets::sweatingbullets:

Dave f..........

I said rare not unknown biggrin.gif used to go before it was boomerang when it was about 50p a litre for fuel.biggrin.gif

Social source share

I said rare not unknown biggrin.gif used to go before it was boomerang when it was about 50p a litre for fuel.biggrin.gif

Uknown Not at this event mate just a few of the punters,this lot could of done a great night there selfs :sweatingbullets:

Andy Dyson

Cliff Steel

Chalky

Dave Thorley

Dave Ripoles

Flanny

Dave Box

Ect.....

i could go on but i`ll stop there :sweatingbullets: ,and yes the old Thorne when Rod D was running it was a great place,i used to go myself :sweatingbullets:

Dave f........

Social source share

Uknown Not at this event mate just a few of the punters,this lot could of done a great night there selfs :sweatingbullets:

Andy Dyson

Cliff Steel

Chalky

Dave Thorley

Dave Ripoles

Flanny

Dave Box

Ect.....

i could go on but i`ll stop there :sweatingbullets: ,and yes the old Thorne when Rod D was running it was a great place,i used to go myself :sweatingbullets:

Dave f........

I meant its not unknown that djs go out,just rarely thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest karen b

Hi Ken,

fuel a nightmare and is main reason we can't get to 100 club Sat, coz I would dearly love to be there

to hear Greety goodness knows he has some super rare soul, which needs an airing, and it was good

to hear him at Lifeline.

If you can get a bit of ahead thinking doneblink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gifblink.gif

and can get to ours I will personally take you to Boomerang, and provide a Sunday lunch.

PM me if you like.

Love Karen (and Pete)xxx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert